PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Maine section

maineguide
01-14-2006, 19:39
Still working on an article for Down East: The Magazine of Maine on AT hiking in the state. You all have helped me with what to bring on a previous forum. Now I'm wondering what your favorite places were in the Pine Tree State — and why. If you could pick the sections of the trail in Maine that you particularly liked and explain why, I'd be most obliged. Post here or send info to [email protected]. Mention when you finished, how old you are, and where you're from. I'll make you famous.

Thanks for all your help.

MaineGuide
Down East

Footslogger
01-15-2006, 00:43
Well ...for me anyway it was the Bigelows. During my thru in 2003 I hit that area as the snow started to fall. Going over Crocker was touch and go and Avery Peak was equally challenging. I guess I just liked the variation in terrain and the scenery. I liked it so much that I'm coming back this coming July with my wife to hike it again.

'Slogger

TJ aka Teej
01-15-2006, 01:29
Still working on an article for Down East

Hmmm... Down East Magazine, eh?
All of the Trail in Maine really stinks. Goes through scary scary deep dark woods, fords Class 99 whitewater rapids, steeply climbs up rock slides and descends wet slick rock ledges. Very poorly marked, especially around the quicksand, mountain lion dens, and cliffs. Cloulds of biting insects, hanta-virus carrying mice in every shelter, herds of deer ticks full of Lyme Disease, with 2 ton bull moose patroling every swamp and wolves prowling every shady grove. Above treeline the burnt, smoking bodies of lightning struck day hikers can be found every quarter mile or so, at least until the vultures and coyotes have finished with them. I won't mention the really bad bits.

The Trail in New York is really nice. Mowed twice a day, nice benches and lots of hanging flower baskets. Tell your readers to go there instead.

Peaks
01-15-2006, 10:17
I've got several fond memories of the AT in Maine:

Mahoosac Notch: a mile that is completely different from every other mile on the AT.

Bigelows: All the beauty and challenge of the White Mountains, but without the crowds.

Pierce Pond: Listening to the loons in the evening

Gulf Hagas: scenic.

The many unspoiled and beautiful lakes along the AT in Maine. Great for swimming on a summer's day, and always scenic.

Shaws: Legendary host to all.

And of course: Katahdin. A spectacular mountain and fitting end to a great adventure of a lifetime.

And I'm probably forgetting some memories as well.

Moxie00
01-15-2006, 15:37
Loved TJ's post. Are you employed by Dewn East or just a writer hoping they will publish your article? If so, did they pay you an advance? I've had several occasions where someone was "writing an article" for Down East, even took photographs. When no article resulted I called a friend who works for Down East and was told they had been approached, liked the idea so gave the author encouragement but when the article came in it wasn't up to their statdards. This included a lady who was writing about the AT two years ago. I honestly hope your article appears but do you really think being mentioned on a Down East article qualifies as making someone "famous"?

maineguide
01-15-2006, 15:51
To answer your questions: I'm Down East's Editor at Large. I was Managing Editor at the magazine for years and have written hundreds of stories for the magazine. This piece was assigned to me by the Editor in Chief and is due to appear in the April issue, 06.

And no I don't think one mention in the Magazine of Maine is going to make anybody famous. I'm not famous and I've been in every issue since the mid90s. I was just kinda joking about that.

MOWGLI
01-15-2006, 17:10
Stratton to the Kennebec River - hands down.

weary
01-15-2006, 21:43
Still working on an article for Down East: The Magazine of Maine on AT hiking in the state. You all have helped me with what to bring on a previous forum. Now I'm wondering what your favorite places were in the Pine Tree State — and why. If you could pick the sections of the trail in Maine that you particularly liked and explain why, I'd be most obliged. Post here or send info to [email protected]. Mention when you finished, how old you are, and where you're from. I'll make you famous.

Thanks for all your help.

MaineGuide
Down East
I've hiked all of Maine three or four times -- in places a dozen times. I find it impossible to pick a favorite section. All of Maine is great. Based on my walk north from Springer in 1993, there is no other state that remotely compares.

I guess my favorite is the Mahoosucs from the New Hamposhire border through the Baldpates, mostly because I played a small role in keeping them from being developed.

The Bigelows also qualify -- both by their sheer quality and by the role some think I played in their preservation.

The 100-mile-wilderness, however, ranks with the above for being wild, relatively easy, and least civilized, though there are frightening developments that could change all that.

Weary

Tinker
01-15-2006, 23:47
Of the sections I've done in Maine, I'd have to second the Stratton-Kennebec section. Pierce Pond is my very favorite place on the trail (so far), great swimming and scenery. I've done the trail from the Conn./Mass. border to Monson, so I can't speak for the 100 mi. wilderness.