PDA

View Full Version : Tips on Regulating Temp with Sleeping Bag (about to start AZT thru)

Rybir
11-03-2016, 09:15
I have a 10 degree Zpacks, almost full zip, solo bag. Temps will get below freezing. I definitely wanted the comfort of the 10 vs the 20. But, I am sure some nights will be too warm (or maybe not). Any tips on regulating temp when your sleeping bag is too warm?

illabelle
11-03-2016, 09:34
I carry a 15° bag, which I use year-round. In cold temperatures I supplement with down or fleece jackets inside the bag. In warm temperatures, I unzip/uncover/undress until I reach a comfort level.

Sometimes if I have an achy lower back, I'll lie on my side with my back to the open zipper. Cold air on my spine has a similar effect to a chilled gel-pack and can relieve some of the aches.

MuddyWaters
11-03-2016, 09:38
Sleep under it and cover as little as needed. Usually will sweat where pull covers over, so after a few days the 10F will be a 30F and problem solved.

My 20 quilt currently is probably more like a 40 and needs washing.

DuneElliot
11-03-2016, 09:41
I have a similar EE version...full zip 10* bag/quilt. When it is warmer I use it in the quilt form...just laying it open like a blanket, except for the footbox...although I could open that too. The cooler it gets the more I zip it up or tuck it underneath me. If it's really warm at night (which is rare where I camp) I'll sleep in lighter clothes or cover just half my body with the quilt.

Rybir
11-03-2016, 09:47
So sounds like 10 degree was way to go!

DuneElliot
11-03-2016, 09:55
So sounds like 10 degree was way to go!

It was for me. I'd rather err on the side of something being too warm than not being warm enough...you can always vent, remove layers...hard to add things you don't have.

Venchka
11-03-2016, 11:49
Nothing like waiting until you're in the middle of Nowhere to sort out your gear. On the other hand, better to just do it than wait until you have everything figured out.
You're better off with a 10 degree anything than someone starting the AT in February with a 30 or 40 degree quilt.
Good luck. Stay warm. Have fun.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rocketsocks
11-03-2016, 11:53
Modulate the Zipper

Venchka
11-03-2016, 11:57
You don't need instructions for common sense stuff like this. You will find a solution all by yourself.
Wayne

Rybir
11-03-2016, 12:51
Nothing like waiting until you're in the middle of Nowhere to sort out your gear. On the other hand, better to just do it than wait until you have everything figured out.
You're better off with a 10 degree anything than someone starting the AT in February with a 30 or 40 degree quilt.
Good luck. Stay warm. Have fun.
Wayne

Thank you! All final days stuff here :) Can't wait for Sunday.