PDA

View Full Version : Art Loeb Trail

Rolltide1
11-03-2016, 11:04
First time doing this trail and doing only sections 3 and 4 from north to south. Going November 14 for 2 nights. My concern other than water is camping. Thinking of first night at Deep Gap and second at Tennent. Also concerns of weather that week . I know it has been warm recently but I assume to bring everything just incase. Plan on packing 3 liters of water is that crazy? Will not be cooking anything only open and eat meals. Any news of any new signage on the trail? Fairly good with compass but I hear it is still tricky. Any info is appreciated and will respond with more run on sentences when requested.
Thanks

TNhiker
11-03-2016, 11:12
you will need a bear canister for the shining rock area......

TNhiker
11-03-2016, 11:12
oh, and welcome to this forum.....

TNhiker
11-03-2016, 11:15
also, fwiw-----someone one a different forum did a hike that passed through this area last week and they reported that the wasnt any water at all...

they had cached some water somewhere so they were alright but they did not find a running water source.....

10-K
11-03-2016, 12:09
Hiking south you walk by a creek early on and there's supposed to be a spring on Cold Mt. (google it).

You can find a GPX track of the trail and load it on your phone via numerous apps - as I recall the only real place I had to think about navigating was at Shining Rock Gap. Again, hiking south, when you get to the gap bear to the left. There were 2 other trails that made 90* turns to the left - ignore those and just fork off to left on the other side of the clearing.

A compass is handy - hiking south - once you make the turn to the south at Cold Mt. the trail is running either south or east. If you're steadily going north or west you're going the wrong way.

Rolltide1
11-03-2016, 17:03
Thanks for info... Yep have Bear canister. Will bring more water than food. Not sure about cell service there meant to ask that earlier. There are some good videos about that junction on youtube and have reviewed them thoroughly. Thanks again for the advice about the GPX what app do you recommend?

10-K
11-03-2016, 17:24
Thanks for info... Yep have Bear canister. Will bring more water than food. Not sure about cell service there meant to ask that earlier. There are some good videos about that junction on youtube and have reviewed them thoroughly. Thanks again for the advice about the GPX what app do you recommend?

I use MotionX HD on my iphone. Works great.

The Cleaner
11-03-2016, 22:11
It's been too warm lately and you may get caught in the first cold spell.You can get an idea of the daily temps via the USFS webcam there.Also you will cross extensive open summits and fields so be prepared for a BA windchill factor.On my last trip in March I went to bed with slight winds and during the night the winds started howling36833.I had to cook and eat breakfast in my tent then pack up and move out fast.The side guy lines and extra crossing pole kept my tent secure in the wind.36832

Gambit McCrae
01-25-2017, 09:55
Need to revive this, planning on doing the trail but I think I am getting mixed info -

Good place to find info on this trail?

Is it well marked like the AT? From what I read the trail is un marked through areas, is the Pisgah Nat Illustrated a good go to map for this trail?

If this is a linear hike point A to Point B, who is a good shuttle provider? Not sure if Ron Brown heads out that way I have never asked him

I see the lowest point of the trail is a river so I will ask if there are streams to cross or is that a non issue on this trail

Thanks in advance

lobo1999
01-25-2017, 22:09
The northern section of the trail, through Shining Rock Wilderness Area, is not blaze. There are a few tricky spots, but over all straight forward with the use of a map and compass. I would suggest a map from the Pisgah Map Company and there is a USFS map for Shining Rock that is great. I would suggest Pure Vida in Brevard for a shuttle service.

golfjhm
01-26-2017, 17:55
38022This is really the only TRUE tricky section (Shining Rock Gap) north of the parkway. The other section that could be tricky is Ivestor Gap where you enter the SRW. You don't continue right on the road bed for long - ALT turns off up the hill (Grassy Cove Top). If you aren't going "up" at all on GCT then you are likely on the wrong trail.

Gambit McCrae
01-26-2017, 19:02
Set me straight on bear canister rules on the ALT. Are canisters required for entire trail? Does everyone have to have food in canister the whole time or can everyone hold onto their food while hiking and then stuff all food into one vault at the end of the day while sleeping.

lobo1999
01-26-2017, 21:28
Bear canisters are only required in the Shining Rock Wilderness and the immediate surrounding area (Black Balsam area to the wilderness boundary).

golfjhm
01-27-2017, 11:22
Pretty much anything north of the parkway is going to bear canister territory. Parkway is amazingly still open bc there hasn't been significant snow/ice yet (usually closed by early December). This means there will be people and possibly rangers in the Black Balsam area bc access is easy when road is open. I have heard that they have had rangers posted issuing tickets for lack of canister in the past - apparently the bears in the area have caused some big problems though I have never even seen any bear sign around there.

I think they only care that you store food in canister at night - not while traveling so I would think 1 for the group would be fine.

oc_looper
02-02-2017, 20:50
We just hiked the ALT this past week. We used Headwater Outfitters(828-877-3106) in Brevard as a shuttle. They only charged us $100 for 4 people. Bear canisters are required anywhere North of the Parkway. We didnt see any bears or bear scat...but we did see a puma track on the top of Black Balsam(yes i said puma). The antigravity map is very good for this hike however I wish we would have had a map with the forest roads and crossings.

Gambit McCrae
02-03-2017, 12:34
We just hiked the ALT this past week. We used Headwater Outfitters(828-877-3106) in Brevard as a shuttle. They only charged us $100 for 4 people. Bear canisters are required anywhere North of the Parkway. We didnt see any bears or bear scat...but we did see a puma track on the top of Black Balsam(yes i said puma). The antigravity map is very good for this hike however I wish we would have had a map with the forest roads and crossings.

Was there any snow? I know that up in the 6000 range snow blows where as down lower no snow... I hate wearing my boots so if there isn't know I wont take them.
Better to do it south bound from what I've heard?
Did you only have the antigravity gear maps?
any troubles navigation wise?
water issues?