PDA

View Full Version : Knee Braces or Compression Sleeve

willys05tj
11-03-2016, 22:12
Can anyone recommend a good knee brace or compression sleeve to support knees when hiking? Looking for something to provide good support and be comfortable all day while hiking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Time Zone
11-03-2016, 23:49
I cannot recommend any for all-day; you will sweat under the neoprene and it'll feel nasty. But in general, I've found that Mueller and Cho-Pat braces [for either patellar stability or hiker's knee/ITBS] are well-made and they work. They just won't be all-day comfortable; I'm not sure anything would be. For all day, I suspect anything would be uncomfortable. And they'll smell pretty terrible well before the end of the day!

IMO even better than a brace are a pair of hiking poles. Learn to use them. They won't cure what ails you, but you may find you can hike further and longer with them than without them.

willys05tj
11-04-2016, 06:38
Thanks for the feedback. I do use hiking poles, my issues arise around 8 to 10 miles in and when going down hill. I currently use a Mueller that wraps around and it has worked well but the Velcro is wearing out. So I guess I was looking for maybe a sleeve style that did the same as the Mueller. Again thank you for your response.

Time Zone
11-04-2016, 06:46
The cho-pat might be worth a try. It has velcro straps that go above and below the patella. I've tried the single strap ones and for whatever reason they don't feel as effective. (maybe I should try using 2 of those at once ...). Have you asked an orthopedist?

willys05tj
11-04-2016, 06:49
No, I haven't spoken to a professional yet, because it really only bothers me on long hikes and when I'm descending. I'm sure eventually I will have to visit one. Mueller does wrap both above and below and has support on all four sides of the knee.

FiftyNine
11-04-2016, 07:26
I've been using a pair of compression sleeves I bought from CVS. They are not the neoprene ones. They are fairly comfortable and I don't sweat as much in them like I do in the neoprene type. I always wear them when I backpack. I haven't had any knee problems yet and at my age and being a little to much over weight, (I admit much more than a little ) I feel the extra support is worth it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jefals
11-04-2016, 08:53
I remember this topic from a while back and several folks answered favorably about the cho-pats.
I also have problems with my knee on the downhills, despite using poles - to the point where I've had to abandon 2 hikes now. My doc recommended a pre-hike cortisone injection, and I might just take him up on that next time...

Cowboyhard
11-04-2016, 09:07
I use Mueller sleeve extra large neo. And yes I sweat and they smell , but they work for me when I carry my pack. I use poles and carry to much weight. Such as life?

willys05tj
11-04-2016, 10:18
Thank you all for this feedback. The Mueller I've been using is similar to the Cho-pat, except that the Mueller also has the tubing on each side of the knee as well as the top and bottom.

Secondmouse
11-04-2016, 10:47
I used a Bauerfeind Genutrain for 10 days on the AT and I never experienced any of the pain that I bought it to relieve. the Genutrain is a generic sports sleeve with a nice material that doesn't trap sweat or stink and doesn't slide down.

I suffer arthritis pain from a repaired medial meniscus and got the A3 version, which is more expensive, because it is designed for targeted support of medial and anterior pain. you buy them in either left or right leg.

Bauerfeind are orthopedic grade knee sleeves and a huge step up from generic "drug-store" brands but are, of course, more expensive. but I believe it was worth every penny...

RockDoc
11-04-2016, 21:18
I've used the BodyHelix sleeve, expensive but it did the job. Excellent support and it did not loosen up with many uses. Also very light and comfortable. I bought two.

-I have no relation to this business except as a happy customer

jefals
11-05-2016, 11:59
I just took a look at these; at this price it MUST be good! 😊
Can you wear these comfortably all day? For me, I'm thinking I might just want to wear it when it's gonna be a long or steep downhill...

tflaris
11-05-2016, 18:24
Bauerfeind knee braces are what I use.

TF

tflaris
11-05-2016, 18:26
Bauerfeind knee braces are what I use.

TF

http://www.bauerfeind.com/b2c/SPORTS-PRODUCTS/Sports-Supports/Sports-Knee-Support/p/YPBF_SPK_SKNEESUP

willys05tj
11-06-2016, 10:24
I have been eyeballing these. One of "Will Wood's" hiking buddies had these on when they did the PCT and he said he loved them. Has anyone else used them?

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161106/b2d7973e502c975c005208f3bc3ed18a.jpg

Traveler
11-06-2016, 12:57
I used to use the Cho Pats and Muller braces, but over the past several years have found the knee supports made by Tommycopper.com to be all I really need. They are super comfortable and I can roll them down when I don't need them, hoisting them into place for downhill runs and other situations where my knee complains.

Roamin
11-07-2016, 13:48
I was out for a week with a fella who used the ProTec knee braces and swears by them. He has logged a couple hundred miles with them and highly recommended them to me.

willys05tj
11-07-2016, 14:24
Thanks Roamin. I believe for the price and what I have heard I may them a try.

Praha4
11-07-2016, 16:03
yes
my two favorites are:

1. Chopat Dual Action Knee Brace

2. Zensah Compression Knee Sleeve

have used both, this year used the Zensah sleeve, think I like it better than the Chopat now.

Can anyone recommend a good knee brace or compression sleeve to support knees when hiking? Looking for something to provide good support and be comfortable all day while hiking.

Time Zone
11-07-2016, 18:08
No, I haven't spoken to a professional yet, because it really only bothers me on long hikes and when I'm descending. I'm sure eventually I will have to visit one.

FWIW I saw an MD today who evaluated me for the same sort of symptoms. It is his belief that imbalances in the forces on the knee cause patellar-femoral pain, which he suspected a bit more so than IT band tendonitis. In my case, he said my hamstring was way too tight and needed to be stretched out; also, strengthening the quads would help to offset some of the imbalance caused by the hamstring.

I've never been limber but I think I have to start working on it, and see if it makes a difference. Cheaper than surgery, less bothersome than a brace. It'll be interesting to see if I can make any progress in terms of stretching. I remember once when I was about 30 asking my teenage SIL what her secret was to being so limber. She said, "Start young." Well, I'm almost 50 now ... will I be able to get limber? I certainly have a reason to try - passion for hiking.

dmax
11-07-2016, 18:54
A trip to a dr to find out what the problem is, will make it a lot easier for you to decide how to treat it. I've fought the same type of problems for a few years now. I went to a dr and have spent the last two and a half months going to therapy.
i can tell you one thing that didn't help me was the sleeve. On my last hike this summer my knee was giving me a fit before we started. Well I wore a sleeve thinking that would help. I was way wrong. After one mile my knee swelled up. Since my problem with my knee, according to my dr, is my knee scraping when I walk. So the only thing my brace was doing was making it worse.
But going to a dr and then to therapy I now have two different people giving my two different diagnosis. Lol, go figure.....

willys05tj
11-07-2016, 19:01
I get pain on the outside of my knee. Not sure what you call it. I do stretches that seem to help some but when I hit those downhills after several miles it gets aggravated to where it hurts to step down on it. I know the best thing it to visit the dr. But just looking for something as I only have this problem when I hike.

willys05tj
11-07-2016, 21:38
Also, I get a little pain around the bottom edge of my knee as well. After a nights rest and a good stretch in the am, I am good to go for another several miles before it gets agitated again. The Mueller Max Knee Strap, which is similar to the Cho-pat, works well with mitigating these issues but it is not the most comfortable to wear as it tends to slide. So I am looking something that provides the same support but stays in place better.

willys05tj
11-07-2016, 22:03
And again thanks for everyone's input.

Kerosene
11-07-2016, 22:34
I've been using knee braces (combined with large doses of naproxen sodium) to try to keep hiking.

I've relied on the Futuro (http://www.futuro-usa.com/3M/en_US/futuro-us/products/~/FUTURO-Active-Knit-Knee-Stabilizer?N=4318+3294508032+3294529207&rt=rud) knit compression sleeve for many years, which stays in position fairly well and isn't as uncomfortable or hot as a neoprene brace.

Recently, I tried out the Donjoy Webtech brace (https://www.donjoyperformance.com/webtech-knee-brace?color=black), which provides more support but less compression. I now rely on this brace for daily activities as it helps with my knee pain due to osteoarthritis.

I've bought several Futuro braces from CVS, but they've become harder to find in retail stores. The Donjoy brace is readily available at Dick's Sporting Goods and other sites.

willys05tj
11-07-2016, 22:36
Thanks

Secondmouse
11-07-2016, 23:07
I just took a look at these; at this price it MUST be good! 
Can you wear these comfortably all day? For me, I'm thinking I might just want to wear it when it's gonna be a long or steep downhill...

what, the bauerfeind? all day comfort. seriously...

and even better, no stink, no sweat, no skin maceration, no chafing, no rash. this is a big deal.

I sprayed mine with Permethrin and it didn't stain, even washed it in a machine and it held it's shape...