PDA

View Full Version : Maine stream crossings

bullseye
01-14-2006, 22:47
Can anyone tell me how wide and deep the stream crossing is at the west branch of the Ellis River, just south of East B Hill Rd.? I have forded the streams in the southern half of the 100 mile wilderness, but never in the winter. I plan on hiking south over Baldpate either next week or 1st week of Feb. and I'm trying to find out what I'm up against (and maybe find a way to keep warm, dry feet).:-?

weary
01-14-2006, 23:01
Can anyone tell me how wide and deep the stream crossing is at the west branch of the Ellis River, just south of East B Hill Rd.? I have forded the streams in the southern half of the 100 mile wilderness, but never in the winter. I plan on hiking south over Baldpate either next week or 1st week of Feb. and I'm trying to find out what I'm up against (and maybe find a way to keep warm, dry feet).:-?
Mid Coast Maine experienced three or four inches of rain today. I suspect the Ellis River got some of it. But these things are impossible to predict a week or two in advance. It's an easy river to cross most seasons. It's difficult after a heavy rain.

With some cold weather and a bit of snow the tranquil sections will be buried by the time you go through. If not, walk downstream to an easy passage, which may be quite a ways, but a bridge crosses, eventually, a few miles south.

Always carry plenty of supplies and allow for extra time when winter hiking in Maine winters. I've rarely had problems, but once many years ago, high water cut short a snowshoe hike through Baxter Park.

Weary

Moxie00
01-14-2006, 23:14
Weary has some evcellent advice-Maine weather is extremely weird this winter. We are experiencing 48 degree weather and a warm rain with alot of snow melt. I once couldn't even reach the section I maintain on Saddleback and there isn't a stream there a small toad couldnt hop across most of the year. However we had late winter weather exactly like we are having right now and with the high water and rotting snow travel was near impossible and definitely not safe. Get a good weather forecast before you leave and don't risk your life with unsafe stream crossings.

Footslogger
01-15-2006, 00:20
I'm sure it changes from year to year and somewhat within a given season. In September 2003 when I crossed it there were exposed rocks and it was possible hop from rock to rock to get across.

'Slogger

rumbler
01-15-2006, 11:06
I came along about three days after Footslogger and the crossings north and south of Monson were nigh impossible to cross. We are talking waist deep.

Bloody pain in the neck. I have never been colder in my life.

weary
01-15-2006, 11:20
Just as I was sitting down at the computer, I heard a warning message on public radio in the adjoining room, saying that streams were overflowing their banks in the Monson area. That means chest high water in places. Any winter hikers are likely to have a long wait after a wild and stormy night.

Even here on the "tranquil" coast things remain a bit wild after two days of heavy rains and heavy winds. The minister of the church my wife attends called a few minutes ago, saying church had been cancelled because "a tree is across the roads, the power is out and it's awfully cold out there."

Weary

bullseye
01-15-2006, 15:33
I think I'l give it a few weeks to calm down. Maybe the temps will drop and help the situation. I'll check in and see what's going on then. Thanks for all your good advice.

Roland
01-15-2006, 15:48
What a difference a day makes!

Yesterday, the high temperature in Gorham was in the upper 40s, with heavy rain. As I write this, the temperature has dropped to near zero, and the wind is howling.

A few miles from here, on the summit of Washington, the wind is blowing hurricane strength.

Rivers and streams were raging, yesterday. As we re-enter the deep-freeze, that too will change quickly.

Wolf - 23000
01-15-2006, 16:10
When I did it last year, it was a COLD 15 feet accross and about a 1 1/2 feet deep. Wouldn't be much to worry about in the summer but in the winter it was EXTREMELY COLD!!!

Wolf