PDA

View Full Version : Walk through the pain?

Zman
11-05-2016, 17:41
So, I am training to hike 32-40 miles later this year. I strap on my backpack every Saturday and Sunday morning and hike 6 miles up and down these small hilly roads near my house (asphalt is a drag). My hips ache every time. They will ache a little throughout the following week as well.
This is what I fell I will need to do for my upcoming hike. I hiked 6 miles. rested a couple hours, then continued. What the heck. My hips started aching quite a bit. A lot actually. Not enough to stop my hike but enough to make me think if it was normal. I thought about the saying, "No Rain,No Pain, No Maine. So, I kept going until I completed my hike.
I am back at the house and not feeling to bad now but was wondering if this is normal. Is this what is meant when they say "No Pain"? I am 57 yrs old though so I was hoping it has nothing to do with this. More vitamin I?
I am going to get up in the morning and pretend it is another day on the trail and push for another 12 just to see what happens. It certainly isn't Springer Mountain but I feel it is better than nothing.
Any ideas?

Thanks, Z-Man

Teacher & Snacktime
11-05-2016, 17:47
Find out from a doctor what is causing the pain. Don't rely too heavily on Ibuprofen....the side effects are worse than you imagine.

MuddyWaters
11-05-2016, 17:50
My first backpack trip ever

My pack weighed all of 23 lbs for an 2 day, 15 mile overnighter ( had to pack 4.5 L water)

Had no problem on trail, very flat. After finished we drove home . Stopped at a place to eat, walking on concrete felt so weird.

My hips also hurt for more than a week.

With each subsequent trip, even months apart, body seemed to adapt more.

Hosh
11-05-2016, 19:26
Stretch, before, during and after hiking. Make sure you are well hydrated prior starting and keep a steady water intake. You are old enough that you might have osteoarthritis in one or both. A quick xray will tell the tale.

A competent CMT and a daily stretching routine is a must for me personally. I sit here typing 9 days from having under gone anterior hip replacement. This is my 2nd with the first done posterior. Anterior is much, much less intrusive and hopefully recovery will come in time for February powder days.

Lone Wolf
11-05-2016, 19:35
asphalt. no good. the cause of your pain

The Cleaner
11-05-2016, 19:41
My left foot was hurting some after I finished working on decorative posts and rails on my front porch roof.I was up and down the ladder several times a day for 2 weeks.After that project I did a 2 night 13 mile hike.Foot really hurting when I finished.I went to the Doc and an x-ray showed that the 3rd metatarsal was fractured and the 4th one slightly cracked too.If any pain lasts more than a few days, it's time to see a doctor IMO.

Tipi Walter
11-05-2016, 19:42
Z Man you make no mention of what weight you are carrying inside your backpack or what model pack it is. At age 57 is this your first backpacking experience? Do you have hip pain from just walking? Apparently not. Like everything else, the more we do of something the better our bodies adjust. Throw a 57 year old newbie on the back of a bull and see what happens. Now do the same with a 57 year old professional or retired bull rider---their bodies are prepared for the shock. Same with backpacking.

Plus, choosing and fitting a pack is a difficult thing, and I would place most of the blame on your pack and hipbelt config. I routinely backpack with excessive loads in the 70-80 lb range and will develop serious hip pain with packs with poor hipbelt and harness systems. With other pack brands I achieve comfort and no such hip pain.

burger
11-05-2016, 19:49
As suggested above, see a doctor. The hips are complicated, and there is an array of possible causes of pain. Some hip problems are easy to solve with stretching and exercises. Others are much more serious. I wouldn't put it off, and I wouldn't keep hiking unless the pain goes away quickly.

Zman
11-05-2016, 19:58
my pack is a Z Pack. Ultra lite everything and weighs 25 lbs. I walk 3-5 miles a day on construction sites as a Superintendent. I know the asphalt is not a good idea but have no other place to hike. This is also the beginning of my backpacking experience. I went to springer mountain for labor day and hiked for two days but didn't seem to hurt quite this bad.

Zman
11-05-2016, 20:00
I have wondered if I am wearing my pack right. is it to low? to high?

Tipi Walter
11-05-2016, 20:02
I have wondered if I am wearing my pack right. is it to low? to high?

Test: Hike without the pack and if you experience no hip pain you know it's the pack.

Sandy of PA
11-05-2016, 20:23
I start at 10 pounds in the pack and build up slowly. Can you wear your pack to work? Walking a little every day is much better than 25lbs only on the weekends.

The Cleaner
11-05-2016, 23:02
my pack is a Z Pack. Ultra lite everything and weighs 25 lbs. I walk 3-5 miles a day on construction sites as a Superintendent. I know the asphalt is not a good idea but have no other place to hike. This is also the beginning of my backpacking experience. I went to springer mountain for labor day and hiked for two days but didn't seem to hurt quite this bad. Most UL packs just don't have enough materials to keep your load in the best position to support it correctly.I went back to and external frame pack that spreads out any load much better.The UL gear popularity is great for those selling it.Those packing it are on their own when it comes to packing your load on the trail.I started backpacking in the late 70s and everyone was packing big loads and few whined about like some UL hikers today.One more tidbit of info,even though most hikers now pack lighter loads many still find little room to pack out their own trash.

PaulWorksHard
11-06-2016, 01:12
Is it possible this is due to the crown built into most roads? When running, I run down the center of the road where it is flattest. If I run on the side of the road, there is a slight angle and one leg is always highe r than the other. Causes hip or knee pain for me. Could be the same for your hiking.

MuddyWaters
11-06-2016, 01:23
Test: Hike without the pack and if you experience no hip pain you know it's the pack.

I experience a little hip discomfort sometimes walking a few hundred yards in my workboots. Timberland steel toes.

Im pretty sure its the boots when that happens , dont know how, but it is. Maybe its their heavy weight.

SkeeterPee
11-06-2016, 05:38
I'm also 57 and training for a week long hike. I've done 3 and 4 day hikes where I have done 10 miles/day, but I think this has been to much so I am just going to work toward 8 unless I am feeling stronger.

I have been walking 3-6 miles with my pack every day. and on weekend I have been doing a hike in a hilly park. I started out at 20lb pack and each weak have increased it. I am at 35lbs today so hopefully I can get my real pack weight to the same. It was pretty comfortable really today, except I over did the distance. 11 miles in a flat park and my ankle is a little sore rolled it once.

A month ago even a 3 mile 20lb pack hike was sore on the hips. So I suggest walking more days and gradually increase weight and distance. I seem to be getting to the point I don't even notice my pack.

Traveler
11-06-2016, 06:56
Could be several small things going on that lead to hip issues. Lone Wolf is right, asphalt is not the best surface to be walking on with a pack, if you can find a trail somewhere I would suggest that as a first step and see if the pain returns. Beyond that, it may be a simple process of elimination before you see a Doctor.

1. You didn't say what kind of footwear you were walking in. It may be as simple as changing footwear or using an insert that has some arch support in your shoes/boots. If you are using boots, they can be very uncomfortable on a 6 mile trek over asphalt (trail shoes or runners are a little more comfortable) that has an unyielding surface unlike trails. Try changing to a different shoe first, see if there is a change.

2. You didn't say what kind of pack, what approximate weight(s) you were carrying, and what the weight was comprised of. If using a simple day pack without a hip belt and putting 20 lbs into it, shoulders and hips will probably complain a lot by the end of the 6 miles for example. A good pack should have a hip belt that will allow the load to be placed on your hips. Too much weight on your shoulders can cause you to lean forward in an effort to accommodate the weight and move the center of balance. This can change how you walk, which will cause mechanical stresses in your body that it is not used to. I would avoid using large, solid objects to make up the weight in the pack and use water bladders that are softer an will move around a little to fit you will probably be the best. Keep the weight at about 20 lbs at the high end until you can walk a trail (not asphalt) the same mileage with the same approximate elevation gain/loss.

3. You didn't say what your level of fitness was before you started to work out. If you've not been too active lately, you may be over stressing tendons and muscled in an effort to train. Additionally you could have some minor pulled ligaments or tendons trying to heal that can cause you to accommodate them by walking differently, which can manifest itself as hip pain. As mentioned above, stretching before, during, and after the walk will be beneficial. Try limiting the walk to 3 miles but do that every two or three days instead of 6 miles two days on a row.

These ideas may not solve the problem, but will give you a better idea if the problem increases, lessens, or remains the same. Knowing that when you see a doctor can be very helpful to diagnose and/or correct the problem. Chances are the issue is a combination of these things and you'll be straightened out quickly.

Good luck!

rafe
11-06-2016, 07:43
asphalt. no good. the cause of your pain

I think there's some truth to that! My hips are happier on rough, rooty, rocky woods path than hard, even surfaces.

Could also be due to one leg being a few mm. shorter than the other (for real, in my case.)

Odd Man Out
11-06-2016, 11:36
I once had a flare up of tendonitis. Went to the doctor and asked exactly that question. He said that manipulating the inflamed tendons would cause pain but not cause more damage. But as already mentioned, there are some pains for which that would not be true and you need informed medical advice for your specific condition.

colorado_rob
11-06-2016, 11:46
As already harped on, asphalt is horrible, but worse than that is asphalt two days in a row when your just getting into hiking shape. Space your training out a bit initially, and gradually increase your carried weight from almost nothing to your eventual 25 pounds.

And don't be afraid of modest amounts of Ibuprofen! A couple/few a day, even twice a day is safe. Side effects from small amounts of ibuprofen????? Never heard of them for otherwise healthy people.
Just my own 2 cents. I was 57 once!

Zman
11-06-2016, 13:24
I use a Z pack's Cuban fiber backpack. I wear Solomon trail runner shoes. Everything in my backpack is what I would need to hike the trail. That is where my 25 pounds comes from. I walked 3 to 5 miles a day on a job site and still toe boots.

fiddlehead
11-06-2016, 20:23
I'm one who thinks I can walk through almost any pain.
I'm training now for a fairly long distance hike next year.
Started out with 7 mile days and built it up to 12's.
My ankles and knee hurt a bit the first 2 weeks.
Now, I'm fine.
But hip pain? Never had that.
I'd probably try some glucosomine for that.
But I'd keep walking until I knew it was something that wasn't getting better.
My pains always seem to get better with more walking. Eventually.
just my 2 cents.

AfterParty
11-06-2016, 21:45
Is it a soreness or is it a pain?

jefals
11-17-2016, 19:47
you might also want to try for another day, mid-week. Sat, Sun and Wed, maybe. Or, if you just want to do 2 days, maybe Sat and Tue. I'm no expert, but seems to me that with 5 days rest, you're almost starting from scratch each weekend, in your effort to build up your endurance...

Tipi Walter
11-17-2016, 21:06
I'm one who thinks I can walk through almost any pain.

While not giving any advice, I really agree with this, Fiddlehead---"walk through almost any pain." We're talking muscular/skeletal/joint pain here and not a raging abscessed toothache or appendicitis or severe chest pains etc.

Over the years I've had wildly various backpacking pains thruout my body---left ankle, right calf, knee, hips, shin splints, right side "stitches", broken toes, sprained fingers from falling etc. I always "walked them out." Can't walk out a brain tumor or liver failure but otherwise . . . . (And please remember my pack weights contribute to these "hiking pains".)

rocketsocks
11-17-2016, 21:40
Opiates work wonders, the difference between "ah, I made it" and
"Hello Police"

shelb
11-17-2016, 23:54
It could be the asphalt. You might want to pay a "day fee" to go to a gym and test walking uphill on a treadmill - if there are no other hills near you. Can't you at least go up and down steps? The only hills near me are steps on the sand dunes, so I will spend 3 hours going up and down steps to train...

jefals
11-18-2016, 12:46
my experience tells me it's not safe to walk thru any muscular pain.

theinfamousj
11-18-2016, 14:04
I gave myself tendinitis in my left leg "walking through the pain". Don't be me.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

DuneElliot
11-18-2016, 14:14
I often have hip joint pain during the first couple of days out then my body adapts. I am 37 and carrying close to the same weight as you for a week-long trip, but I am also only 110lbs so that 25lb pack for me quite a bit heavier comparatively. When the pack lightens up and my body adjusts I don't have the same pain issues...it does tend to migrate to other areas though :rolleyes:

Engine
11-19-2016, 06:45
Recognizing the difference between pain from incipient injury and pain related to muscles complaining about acute overuse is often difficult. Many of us are predisposed to denial when faced with a new ache or pain and most of the time it works out and we turn out just fine. But, once in a while, what we convince ourselves is pain related to simple muscle soreness is actually a sign of worsening injury from overuse.

-Rush-
11-19-2016, 14:38
This sounds normal to me. Everyone is different, but strapping on a pack is going to start using muscles that don't see a lot of action. If I carry over 35lbs I always notice some discomfort in my hip area, and I know I've got the pack on right. It goes away with time. I'd never give advice to hike through pain though, and I'd never give advice to eat Vitamin I while hiking to mitigate pain. I tried that once and ended up wrecking an ankle. I like to take meds at the end of the day to decrease pain/inflammation and listen closely to my body while hiking.