PDA

View Full Version : Fair price for old REI half dome 2 plus

H I T C H
11-06-2016, 11:37
Hi,

I am looking locally at a used REI half dome 2 plus.

This one is 54" x 92" which I believe was discontinued in 2005.

That makes this one over 10 years old.

I did some online hunting and it looks like you could get this tent with the footprint for $150 in 2002.

I am trying to determine what a fair price would be to offer for this tent and footprint.

I haven't seen it yet, but the seller says it was only slightly used and in excellent condition.

Thanks in advance for your input,

Hitch

johnnybgood
11-06-2016, 12:03
If it were me I wouldn't offer anything until you lay eyes on it. Typically sellers want to recoup as much in return as their purchase price. Here we have a tent >10 years old void of any manufactor warranty plus discontinued to boot. $ 50- $75 is all I would pay

Shutterbug
11-06-2016, 12:26
Hi,

I am looking locally at a used REI half dome 2 plus.

This one is 54" x 92" which I believe was discontinued in 2005.

That makes this one over 10 years old.

I did some online hunting and it looks like you could get this tent with the footprint for $150 in 2002.

I am trying to determine what a fair price would be to offer for this tent and footprint.

I haven't seen it yet, but the seller says it was only slightly used and in excellent condition.

Thanks in advance for your input,

Hitch

When buying used gear or anything else that doesn't have an objective basis for comparison, a "fair price" is entirely dependent on the attitudes of the buyer and seller. Experienced negotiators suggest that your first offer should be "unreasonably low, but not ridiculous." Remember, you can always increase your opening bid, but you can never decrease it.

If I were wanting to buy that tent, I would go on ebay and see what other two person tents are going for. That is as close to an objective standard as one can get.

PS: There is a similar tent now listed on Ebay with a asking price of $149 -- no bids.

MuddyWaters
11-06-2016, 12:40
Im straight up with people, I wont pay more than I know I can re sell it for easily in a few days. I tell them that outright. Usually 67% of new price in excellent condition is my upper end for late model things unless things are high demand. Ebay is good for getting feel of what used items go for.

10 yrs old...it really has limited value. $75 tops if its someones dream tent. more like $50-60 probably.

Ewker
11-06-2016, 14:10
I sold one for $125 this year. It was in great shape and had only been used once. The guy I sold it was glad to get it

nsherry61
11-06-2016, 15:11
My basic guidelines when pricing used gear:
Start at 1/2 original retail value.
If the product is nearly new and/or in exceptionally good condition, go up from 1/2.
If the product is relatively old and/or well worn or damaged, go down from 1/2.

A 10 year old tent, where fabric can age and technology improves every year, I would probably suggest 1/4 to 1/2 a good ballpark.

Secondmouse
11-06-2016, 17:59
are you sure it is a 2+? I didn't think they made the + version then. I have the original one from about that time frame and it is yellow and white.

I would ask to look at the tent before I made any decision because the waterproof seam tape on mine has degraded around the plastic window in the fly. I fixed it but you should know this could be an issue...

http://www.yackman.com/_Media/sany0050_med_hr.jpeg

if it's in good shape, I'd be happy to pay $100- $125. it's a great 2- man tent...

Mr. Bumpy
11-06-2016, 18:12
I'd be worried about the ability of a 10 year old tent to be waterproof, and tent materials and construction has improved since then. If I were selling it I would mark it at $50. No, more likely I'd give it to a local boy or girl scout.

Mr. Bumpy
11-06-2016, 18:17
In fact, I am trying to sell this tent at a price that I think is fair.http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/121539-FS-Big-Agnes-CS-UL2-with-footprint

Lyle
11-06-2016, 18:57
As others have said, if it were in very good to excellent condition, the most I would go would be about $50, maybe sweeten it a bit during bargaining if you really want it. Keep in mind, nylon deteriorates and weakens with age, particularly if exposed to UV light, but even just age takes it's toll, so strength CAN be an issue. Also if any part of it is coated nylon, the coating can delaminate with age.

That said, I have 10+ year old tents that are doing just fine.

H I T C H
11-06-2016, 20:40
are you sure it is a 2+? I didn't think they made the + version then. I have the original one from about that time frame and it is yellow and white.

I would ask to look at the tent before I made any decision because the waterproof seam tape on mine has degraded around the plastic window in the fly. I fixed it but you should know this could be an issue...

if it's in good shape, I'd be happy to pay $100- $125. it's a great 2- man tent...

Hi SecondMouse,

This one is 54 x 92 and the bag says "plus".

Also I found this review of a plus that has this dimension.

http://http://backpackgeartest.yahoogroups.narkive.com/TI3ECfC5/owner-review-rei-half-dome-plus-2-tent

I guess my question at this point is, if this tent is indeed in good condition, how many more years of service can I expect out of it?

Thanks Again All,

Hitch

theinfamousj
11-06-2016, 21:43

Oh, is the tent in question from the era of REI's portholes on rainflys? Two of the tents in my gear stash come from that era as well (via a garage sale). Both were returned because of delamination of the porthole window. I repaired them and both are as functional as new. Which is to say that the rainflys are still otherwise water tight and the seam tape is still present. So don't write off age as a reason the flys would have degraded. If properly stored, you might be looking at a great tent.

Two things to look out for on tents of that era: delamination of the porthole window, and the treatment on the stuffsack fabric has gone gummy only in such a way that it affects how the drawstring slides through its channel. I mention these because they are issues with both if my REI tents of the same age. The first can be fixed by sewing the window back in/clear vinyl in/other waterproof fabric in, and then seam sealing your stitching. The second can be fixed with a quick cornstarch dusting.

Just something to keep in mind though: when I bought my similar eraed tents at the garage sale, they were going for $15*sleeping capacity. So my one person was $15 and my two person was $30 with nothing else wrong with them except the issues noted above.

With that said, I wouldn't offer below $45 if this tent you are seeking has only the delaminated porthole. :)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Secondmouse
11-07-2016, 12:07
Hi SecondMouse,

This one is 54 x 92 and the bag says "plus".

Also I found this review of a plus that has this dimension.

http://http://backpackgeartest.yahoogroups.narkive.com/TI3ECfC5/owner-review-rei-half-dome-plus-2-tent

I guess my question at this point is, if this tent is indeed in good condition, how many more years of service can I expect out of it?

Thanks Again All,

Hitch

in answer to your last, that's hard to say. I bought my tent to use for a very roomy single shelter for motorcycle adventuring. it holds me, my gear, and one of those big twin size air-beds. as such, it's not seen much real use having been stored rolled up over this period.

the seam sealing tape deteriorated over the window but not over the rest of the rainfly seams so I suspect it's something to do with clear plastic they used for that.

the rest of the tent is in excellent condition with no delamination of the rubber/urethane coating from the nylon, and except for the window issue (which I repaired) it could easily pass for a 1-2 year old tent.

I couldn't guess how long the tent will last from this point forward...

Elaikases
11-07-2016, 19:04
The pricing information is good to know.

I keep seeing stuff offered for sale here at about 85% to 90% of the full list price and I was curious what it would really sell for.

Hikingjim
11-07-2016, 19:21
The pricing information is good to know.

I keep seeing stuff offered for sale here at about 85% to 90% of the full list price and I was curious what it would really sell for.

Generally that's stuff from manufacturers that rarely have public sales, is in great condition, and is very suited to backpacking or moreso lightweight or UL backpacking. zpacks, quilts, light tents, good light weight packs, etc. It's harder to sell an item at 85% if people know some retailer has it 20-25% off very frequently or they can just use their REI 20% item for it.

H I T C H
11-08-2016, 15:18
So I went and checked out this tent today.

It is indeed a REI half dome 2 plus. (early edition).

It has the smaller footprint and the porthole in the rainfly.

I would say that the condition was very very good. All of the seam seals were still in great shape as was the waterproof coating on the fabric. There was no dirt on it or any signs of wear. The seller told me that is was only used 4 or 5 times and I believe him. The only sign of age that I saw was that the window was starting to get milky . This happens with clear plastic after 10 years and I am ok with that.

Included was the tent, rainfly, footprint, guylines with tensioners, poles & pole repair tube, 2 sets of stakes (one original one aftermarket) and the compression sack.

The asking price was $95 and I paid $60. I think that I got a fair deal.

Thanks again for all the input.

Hitch