PDA

View Full Version : trail runners/running shoes in winter weather

Big Dawg
01-15-2006, 10:10
I switched from big heavy leather hiking boots (Vasque Superhiker) to trail runners last fall, but haven't done a section hike w/ them yet (only a few overnighters w/ good weather). My question is about how they perform in snowy/icy weather, as far as keeping your feet protected/warm, w/ waterproof socks. I section hike fall/winter/spring, & of course bad weather can pop up during all 3 seasons--(a section hike near the end of April/05 started w/ 85 degree weather & ended w/ 6-8 inches of snow on the ground). Based on a review of many posts, I switched to trail runners-(non gore-tex) to lighten the foot load & allow better ventilation. I have no problem using waterproof socks for when it rains--(I know, naysayers, waterproof socks are not completely waterproof), but how would my feet hold up or feel if hiking in snow or deep ice w/ waterproof socks? Would I be ok, or would my feet freeze, even w/ waterproof socks on? Any insight would be greatly appreciated!!

halibut15
01-15-2006, 10:29
Although there's bound to be about 20 different answers to this post, I'd have to say the trail runners will hold up fine. I switched over from boots a while back myself, and I've never had a problem on several section hikes. On that note, I've only dayhiked with them in snow/ice, but from my experiences in other bad weather (driving rain in the upper 30s) on section hikes, they're just fine. As long as you have something dry as a backup for camp in case you do get a little wet/cold, I think they're great.

Just Jeff
01-15-2006, 12:24
I use a pair of HiTecs that are basically high-top shoes rather than boots. My feet were pretty cold on my last snow trip. Running shoes just don't have the insulation to protect your feet when standing on snow for an extended time. Think of sleeping on the snow and your pad isn't thick enough.

It was ok while I was moving, but I went with a group and we stood/sat around talking quite a bit. I had plenty of insulation everywhere else...but without the blood pumping it wasn't enough on my feet.

On the hike out my feet spent more time under the snow, completely covered, than they did above the snow. I'm sure winter boots would have helped, but even they guys with heavy winter boots had cold feet and numb toes when we got back. I think the vapor barrier socks helped quite a bit, though.

So I guess it depends on what kind of winter hiking you do...if it's just cold without a lot of snow, I'd gladly take runners. If I had jumped right into bed at camp instead of standing around, I would have been fine for the most part. If I were doing more than a few trips a year on the snow, it's a no-brainer - I'd get some warmer boots.

verber
01-15-2006, 12:25
I have used trail runners with sealskinz socks and coolmax liners (and also with an outer wool sock & vapor barrier socks) down to around 0F and been fine. I use a light gator to seal the bottom of my pants over the tops of the socks. I wouldn't say my feet have been "warm", but they weren't "cold" either. On my winter trips I am normally at least a bit active (slowly walking, working in camp, etc). I don't just sit around outside. If I am "sitting around", I am typically in my sleeping bag, wearing primaloft socks, inside some sort of shelter. If I was just sitting around outside for an extended period of time (say ice fishing without a hut) I don't think I would use trail runners. When it's below 0F I switch to insulated boots.

stupe
01-15-2006, 13:31
I wear clunky heavy pac type boots lined with Thinsulate for winter hiking, and all I can say for them is that they keep my feet warm and dry in just about any type of snow or slush - as long as I am moving. When I put them on in the morning, they are so screamingly cold I have taken to keeping them in my sleeping bag overnight, and they are a drag to sleep with.
Maybe a lighter, less insulated shoe with GoreTex or "water proof" neoprene socks is better. Anybody ever use those LLBean Maine hunting boots, the uninsulated ones with the rubber bottoms and leather tops? I wonder if those with multiple wool socks and lambswool or felt insoles would be lighter and better.

Footslogger
01-15-2006, 18:29
I use the Montrail Java. It's a Gortex lined trail shoe that sheds casual moisture and isn't too warm on the foot. I wear Thorlo Light Hiker socks with Coolmax. Makes a nice combination.

'Slogger

Tinker
01-16-2006, 00:56
I've used neoprene socks (the type sold for watersports) with good results, down to about 20 degrees. They're almost a vapor barrier, and the insulation, though thin, is very good. If you stop hiking and stand around, however, your feet can get quite cold. It's good to have a pair of dry socks to put on in camp, possibly under Sealskinz, but that almost defeats the purpose of using neoprene. I haven't used Sealskinz, but some people rave about them. Waterproof ain't breathable!

fiddlehead
01-16-2006, 01:21
I use trail runners (Montrail Vitesse) and even summited a Himalayan Peak (Dhampus peak: 20,000') in Nepal last in 2004 with them. I just wear fleece socks and i don't stop a whole lot. I keep a pair dry for sleeping at night. I wore gaiters for the climb but usually don't. In the US, i don't stop a lot and allow my feet to get cold. Just keep moving and use those dry fleece socks when you really need more warmth. I screw panhead sheet metal screws in the bottoms when in icy conditions.

Patrick
01-16-2006, 01:28
My setup is Gore-Tex socks and the most ventilated running shoes I can get. This, plus a range of socks, works for me year round.

greentick
01-16-2006, 02:37
I have some lasportiva venture mids with gortex xcr that I wear with smartwools and they breathe great. They are definately a weight reduction from my all leathers and still give some ankle support. Was sectioning in GA last week with temps in low 20s and never had a comfort issue.

slowpoke
01-16-2006, 20:19
i went hiking from rt.311 to pickle branch shelter 2 weeks ago i had no problems i was wearing a pair of nb 476 had ice and snow the whole way