PDA

View Full Version : Water in MA, CT, NY, NJ

LuckyMan
11-08-2016, 13:26
I'm now in North Adams Massachusetts headed south and wondering about availability of water along the trail down to Delaware Water Gap. Have recent rains eased the drought? People in Vermont kept saying there was a drought there, but there was plenty of water and several ice-cold stream fords. In fact much of the "trail" in Vermont was merely a series of cold creeks and mud puddles.

By the way, the Price Chopper and Friendly's restaurant near the trail in North Adams are closed, and the oriental buffet is closed for lunch Tuesdays. But at least the laundry is open, and the Y has free showers.

Just Tom
11-08-2016, 13:36
Wish I could be more helpful, all I can say confidently is there was water at Crystal campsite and the Mark Noepel shelter in Mass.

I'll be doing a quick section in Mass in a week or so...if you happen to stop in to the October Mountain shelter and can reply back on its water status, that would be awesome, as I think that will be my overnight.

Mouser999
11-08-2016, 15:55
When you make it the Housatonic High School near Falls Village, you should be able to get water at the sports fields or the greenhouse.
I'm May I was told they weren't letting an AT hikers in the building anymore.

hilltackler
11-08-2016, 16:28
just did a section from Hoyt's road (ny/ct) border south to NY Stormville route 52....dry, dry, dry!

markc7
11-14-2016, 17:57
I just finished a section in NY, the ~50 miles between Clarence-F State Park and Warwick. There were many dry creeks. Not a single bit of mud anywhere on the trail. My advice is to stock up as much as possible in towns and at delis...

Debbie
11-15-2016, 12:13
Should I assume that NJ is the same? (Dry). I'm looking to do a section between Mohican Outdoor Center and Vernon in the next couple of weeks.

Old Grouse
11-15-2016, 14:21
This area is getting a good soaking today. That may improve things a little bit.

Debbie
11-15-2016, 21:53
I hope so; thanks for the info.

LuckyMan
11-15-2016, 23:08
Just Tom: I'm in Salisbury CT now, passed the October Mt shelter a few days ago and found a little water in the nearby shallow seasonal creek. I'd recommend prefiltering floaties out with a bandana or knee-high stocking etc. Better water sources were north and south of the shelter. You might be able to get water from the Cookie Lady, who lives nearby; I meant to stop there but forgot.

I had little trouble finding water in Massachusetts except between North Adams and the summit of Greylock. Just south of Greylock between the two road crossings is a good clear pond not mentioned by AWOL. I did not find water at the cleft spring north of June Mt.

I greatly enjoyed the scenic and well-maintained trail and the kind trail angels in Massachusetts, and I finally saw bears and deer (and an otter playing in Sages Ravine) after seeing none of them in northern New England (did get to see three moose in Maine).