PDA

View Full Version : Water - South of VA311 (Catwaba VA)

Studlintsean
11-08-2016, 14:05
I am hiking the 40 miles South of Catawba, VA (VA311) this upcoming weekend and was hoping someone could provide a recent water report. I understand Sarver Hollow and Niday both have large creeks near them so I am hoping I can get water there. Any insight on water for the rest of the shelters or creeks/ springs along the way?

Anyone else plan to be out in this section?

Thanks in advance.

chknfngrs
11-08-2016, 14:57
If no one responds, guthook could help. But so many helpful voices here should do th trick

jimmyjam
11-08-2016, 19:08
The creek at the road about a mile north of Nidday is a good source. The water at Nidday is known to dry up in the fall.

Studlintsean
11-08-2016, 19:22
The creek at the road about a mile north of Nidday is a good source. The water at Nidday is known to dry up in the fall.

Thanks for the information Jimmyjam and Chickenfingers.

V Eight
11-09-2016, 14:41
There is no Large Creek at Sarver Hollow, there usually is water there though. Take the blue blaze trial from the shelter, but keep going down past the cabin ruins. You should be able to find some water there. Remember, all the creeks & streams in the bottoms run through miles of pastures. Be sure you treat your water if you have to get any from them. Enjoy your hike.

V8

Studlintsean
11-09-2016, 16:37
There is no Large Creek at Sarver Hollow, there usually is water there though. Take the blue blaze trial from the shelter, but keep going down past the cabin ruins. You should be able to find some water there. Remember, all the creeks & streams in the bottoms run through miles of pastures. Be sure you treat your water if you have to get any from them. Enjoy your hike.

V8

Thanks V8. I am looking forward to being back to the NRV. I graduated from Radford in 2008 and love the area.

hikernutcasey
11-12-2016, 11:47
Any info for a little further south of there? Specifically Laurel Creek shelter or Bailey Gap shelter?

Studlintsean
11-14-2016, 17:23
Forms John's Creek Road/ VA632 (40 miles south of VA311) water was available (and used) in the following locations:

Johns Creek
Laurel Creek
Stream at VA42
Sarver Hollow (did not stop but per sobo report)
Stream 1.3 south of Niday
Niday Shelter
Craig Creek
Trout Creek
Pickle Branch Shelter

Overall it was a great section. Shout out to the many volunteers we passed doing maintenance (especially the guy who graciously gave us 2 bottles Yeunling). Four Pines Hostel was great for a shuttle.