PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations or Suggestions...

MtDoraDave
11-08-2016, 21:43
I live in Central Florida and drive up to do a week on the trail two or three times a year. My last hike was in March, and I've been planning to return this Thanksgiving week - doing 80 or so miles north of the Smokies.

It looks like that's a lousy section to do right now, no water, smoky from forest fires...

But I still have that week off work, so my question:

Where should I hike for a week? I'm looking for a place I can drive to from Orlando (ish) in about 12 hrs or less.

Any other trails besides the AT that are good for a week's outing? Should I just go to Springer and do the first section again? What say you?

MtDoraDave
11-08-2016, 21:53
I will add that I've done a few overnighters on local trails here in central FL, but haven't done any other trails "up north" in the mountains, so my familiarity is nil- hence my advice seeking. :)

saltysack
11-08-2016, 22:21
Foothills trail....great trail at 77 miles lil outside Greenville SC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MtDoraDave
11-11-2016, 07:40
Foothills trail....great trail at 77 miles lil outside Greenville SC

Wildfires and drought... it's not totally out, but not looking like a great choice.

Anybody have other input or suggestions?

4shot
11-11-2016, 07:46
the Benton Mackaye Trail is another great option. However you will be in drought conditions there as well (pretty much anywhere in the SE) unless things hange a lot in the next few weeks. Might want to look at the BMT subforum here for more info.

MtDoraDave
11-11-2016, 07:57
Is it still dry at Damascus, north?
How about SNP - I just checked google maps, and SNP is about 12 hrs away... though I have never looked into permits or fees for SNP...

saltysack
11-11-2016, 08:03
How about SNP - I just checked google maps, and SNP is about 12 hrs away... though I have never looked into permits or fees for SNP...

See thread just below this one....the section north of Damascus is a great section given no smoke and with water.

MuddyWaters
11-11-2016, 08:51

Facilities will be closed in snp so crowds will be gone.
No fees, permit is a thing you fill out in woods at stand and put in box.

MuddyWaters
11-11-2016, 10:06
Facilities will be closed in snp so crowds will be gone.
No fees, permit is a thing you fill out in woods at stand and put in box.

Grab 7 day food and start walking

saltysack
11-11-2016, 10:19
Grab 7 day food and start walking

I'll be in Va for work early December looking to do 3-4 days in SNP....what section you recommend? 40-50 miles

Rain Man
11-11-2016, 10:48
I didn't know the AT north of the Smokies was having problems with fires.

If you want other trails for a week's outing within 12 hours, checkout the Big South Fork NRRA. Not a lot of water, but enough.

MuddyWaters
11-11-2016, 10:58
I'll be in Va for work early December looking to do 3-4 days in SNP....what section you recommend? 40-50 miles

North half is easier snd more scenic than south half from what I recall.
But the thing about shenandoah on AT, is its all the same view of the same valley, every view is pretty much identical for 100 miles, so pretty soon it dont matter.

illabelle
11-11-2016, 11:23
I didn't know the AT north of the Smokies was having problems with fires.

If you want other trails for a week's outing within 12 hours, checkout the Big South Fork NRRA. Not a lot of water, but enough.

We dayhiked the Honey Creek Loop in Big South Fork Oct 29. Water was available, yes, but way down from normal levels.
We didn't experience any smokiness that day.

Bear Bag
11-11-2016, 20:27
Try North Carolina's Mountains to Sea Trail (MST). The stretches around Linville Gorge and Mount Mitchell are especially cool. The MST also touches the Shining Rock Wilderness area. This is a great area to hike. A side trip to the summit of Cold Mountain (yes, THAT Cold Mountain) is an option.

Whatever you do, have a great time, and give a report when you get back.

MtDoraDave
11-12-2016, 13:40
Leaning toward doing a section from Damascus, north about 80 miles.

I usually like to hike TO my truck, so timing the end of the hike isn't as critical.
That said, I know there is plenty of parking (for a fee) in Damascus, but sort of want to keep my NOBO sections going - Is the parking area at mile 556.3 (O'Lystery Pavilion area) safe* to park for a week? Or is the parking at mile 545.1 - VA 617, Davis Cemetery - safe* to park for a week?

If neither one of them is safe to park for a week, then I guess I'll be hiking SOBO and getting dropped off at one of those two places.

Either way, I'd like a recommendation for a shuttle. AWOL's guide lists several, but would prefer a personal recommendation.

Thank you for any help.

Dave

* I realize that no parking is "safe" so I suppose the question is: would you feel comfortable leaving your car there for a week?

saltysack
11-12-2016, 18:44
Leaning toward doing a section from Damascus, north about 80 miles.

I usually like to hike TO my truck, so timing the end of the hike isn't as critical.
That said, I know there is plenty of parking (for a fee) in Damascus, but sort of want to keep my NOBO sections going - Is the parking area at mile 556.3 (O'Lystery Pavilion area) safe* to park for a week? Or is the parking at mile 545.1 - VA 617, Davis Cemetery - safe* to park for a week?

If neither one of them is safe to park for a week, then I guess I'll be hiking SOBO and getting dropped off at one of those two places.

Either way, I'd like a recommendation for a shuttle. AWOL's guide lists several, but would prefer a personal recommendation.

Thank you for any help.

Dave

* I realize that no parking is "safe" so I suppose the question is: would you feel comfortable leaving your car there for a week?

Hit up Lone Wolf on here...he lives in Damascus...easier to hike sobo....

MtDoraDave
11-15-2016, 13:36
Shuttle reserved. Looks like this trip (Damascus) is going to happen...

Dogwood
11-15-2016, 14:21
I live in Central Florida and drive up to do a week on the trail two or three times a year. My last hike was in March, and I've been planning to return this Thanksgiving week - doing 80 or so miles north of the Smokies.

It looks like that's a lousy section to do right now, no water, smoky from forest fires...

But I still have that week off work, so my question:

Where should I hike for a week? I'm looking for a place I can drive to from Orlando (ish) in about 12 hrs or less.

Any other trails besides the AT that are good for a week's outing? Should I just go to Springer and do the first section again? What say you?

I say a 12 hr drive from Orlando involves choosing a hike from an area 1/3 the size of the United States. Gotta narrow down what you want to experience. 12 hr drive is a lifetime's opportunities of hikes in that area. Offer more details of your desires. Trail genie.com is better able to grant you your wish that way. :)

This isn't a question that can be answered with any reasonable expectation of nailing the bullseye without narrowing down the size of the dart board.

MtDoraDave
11-24-2016, 15:32
...and DONE! Shuttled north 85 miles from Damascus and hiked SOBO back to the truck.
Nice hike, mostly not smoky, about half the water sources listed in the '16 AWOL guide were dry, but plenty that werent.

Lone Wolf
11-24-2016, 15:50
...and DONE! Shuttled north 85 miles from Damascus and hiked SOBO back to the truck.
Nice hike, mostly not smoky, about half the water sources listed in the '16 AWOL guide were dry, but plenty that werent.

glad it worked out with water and all

MtDoraDave
11-24-2016, 16:52
Overall, a terrible section for loved ones expecting daily safety updates. Cell reception is nonexistent for much of this section, even with Verizon.
One bit of advice I'd offer someone considering this section : schedule a short day for the Mt Rogers part. So much aawesomeness to check out, and there are shelters 4 miles apart on either side of it.

MuddyWaters
11-24-2016, 19:02
Overall, a terrible section for loved ones expecting daily safety updates. Cell reception is nonexistent for much of this section, even with Verizon.

Thats what I remember. Most of southern AT has great service with verizon, not north of damascus. True verizon that roams on sprint and other regional partners might be better than mvno though thats only verizon towers.

MtDoraDave
11-25-2016, 12:55
Another 85 miles done. That puts me somewhere around 310 total AT distance covered - not counting the GSMNP the second time I did it.
:)