PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Trail recommendations

VashFive
11-09-2016, 20:13
Hey all,

Next weekend I was planning to take two nights in the Pisgah Ranger District. Flat Laurel, Art Loeb, Ivestor gap area. My wife and I love to backpack and are bringing some newbies with us. I love this area for newbs; because of the low effort high reward it offers.

I'm reconsidering now; because 1. The Nantahala National Forest is on fire, and 2. The bear canister requirements.

Any recommendations for a good place to introduce a new couple backpacking? We'll be leaving from Atlanta. I would like to keep it within 4 hours drive time.

Thanks for the help.

-V5

Rain Man
11-09-2016, 23:12
What's the conditioning of the newbies? That's a huge factor in recommendations.

Foothills Trail in SC. I'm guessing has good water. Savage Gulf, aka South Cumberland State Park in TN. Dry, though. The Cumberland Trail in TN has some nice sections.

Too bad the Cohutta is closed due to fire. Big Frog is still open, but no water to speak of. Citico and Slickrock/Joyce Kilmer are pretty rigorous.

Pushing the 4 hour limitation, but Mt. Mitchell might be fun in NC. And of course the AT just about anywhere ... perhaps Max Patch? The Great Smoky Mtns National Park is full of great trails.

Pinhoti Trail or Sipsey Wilderness in AL?

The Art Loeb from the Davidson River up to the Blue Ridge Parkway/Balsam Knob doesn't require bear canister.

winger
11-10-2016, 11:39
Big South Fork National Recreation area: https://www.nps.gov/biso/index.htm