PDA

View Full Version : One night's bunkmates???

lobster
01-15-2006, 15:26
If you could stay in a shelter with 4 other people for just one night, who would those folk be?

Maybe they are:

people you have previously hiked with
friends
family
gurus of hiking that you could learn something from
legends of the trail (for whatever reason- good or bad)
folks of differing ideas that you'd want to see interact(clash possibly)
etc.

Who would you choose and why?

Pacific Tortuga
01-15-2006, 16:21
Jack Tarlin

Dan Bruce

Warren Doyle

L. Wolf to stir the pot when things got to mellow:rolleyes:

I do not personally know these people, just what they share with us all ;)

Rainman
01-15-2006, 17:15
I don't think either Jack or Warren sleep in shelters. If they ever did, I might stick around for the fireworks, but I would sleep in my tent.

Rainman
01-15-2006, 17:21
Daniel Boone, David Crockett, Meriwether Lewis, and William Clark. Those guys could teach us a few things about walking a trail. How did they get their resupply?

greentick
01-15-2006, 17:38
Daniel Boone, David Crockett, Meriwether Lewis, and William Clark. Those guys could teach us a few things about walking a trail. How did they get their resupply?

the good old fashioned way - trade with locals, shoot it and eat it, or scrounge from the environment. Great choices btw. My wife is a niece, 3-4 generations removed, of Davy Crockett.

ScottP
01-15-2006, 19:35
I plan on resupplying my AT hike by trading with the natives.

TJ aka Teej
01-15-2006, 19:52
Myron Avery, Ed Garvey, Earl Shaffer, and a novice backpacker on the first night of his/her thru-hike. I hope Earl brings his old guitar...

archangelof2003
01-15-2006, 21:46
I plan on resupplying my AT hike by trading with the natives.

That might be the funniest thing I have ever heard. I don't know why but it just is!

I think Rainman has a good one btw. But I would have to include Simon Kenton as well...

Furlough
01-15-2006, 21:50
My Dad, Simon Kenton, Ben Franklin and Ed Garvey. I would just sit there quietly and listen to their conversations.

smokymtnsteve
01-15-2006, 23:56
Horace Kephart

Edward Abbey

John Steinbeck

Jesus Christ

lobster
01-16-2006, 01:46
A lot of hikers actually look like Jesus Christ!

smokymtnsteve
01-16-2006, 01:49

not really

very few middle eastern looking folks walking on the AT...

most folks walking the AT are european looking, the historical jesus would not be euro looking...

he would look more like Saddam Hussein

RITBlake
01-16-2006, 05:45
not really

most folks walking the AT are european looking, the historical jesus would not be euro looking...

It is important to take everything very seriously......justtttt a bit outside

RITBlake
01-16-2006, 05:57
All I know is that I would want to share a shelter with new school Jesus AND 'historical' Jesus.

Point being, I'm pretty sure that Lobster was making a reference to the long hair and long beards of many (not all) thru hikers.

I'm definitely sure he wasn't trying to bring up a serious and unnecessary discussion/debate over the ethnicity or skin color of one Jesus H Christ.

Oh and nice job tying in Saddam Hussein for a little sensationalism, lets get fired up people! Breaking news here! Jesus Christ may have been from the middle east. I'm stunned.

gsingjane
01-16-2006, 06:46
I would choose:
Grandma Gatewood
Earl Shaffer
Colin Fletcher
Benton MacKaye

It would be a miserable next day's hiking, because of staying up all night listening, but also well worth it!

Jane in CT

justusryans
01-16-2006, 09:11
It would be,

Farley Mowatt

John Steinbeck

Dali Lama

smokeymtnsteve

greentick
01-16-2006, 10:15
not really

Let's see, on this side thread...

If Jesus is in the shelter...
...the nastiest treated water would turn to the finest wine.
...that dehydrated meal everyone is sharing would never run out.
...your feet would stay dry when fording a stream.
...wisdom would be shared.

and to borrow from the "heaviest weight carried" thread He's carried more than the rest of us combined.

(and maybe L. Wolf and GW could be friends....might be a stretch)

Mouse
01-16-2006, 12:02
Well if it is only one night how about:
God
Mohammad
Karl Marx
Buddha

Or if in a more activist than philosophical mood:
God
Bush
Bin Laden

I think I'd tent that night though. ;)

weary
01-16-2006, 12:27
Hmmm. How would one know? The last eye witness died a couple of millennia ago.

smokymtnsteve
01-16-2006, 19:18
All I know is that I would want to share a shelter with new school Jesus AND 'historical' Jesus.

Point being, I'm pretty sure that Lobster was making a reference to the long hair and long beards of many (not all) thru hikers.

I'm definitely sure he wasn't trying to bring up a serious and unnecessary discussion/debate over the ethnicity or skin color of one Jesus H Christ.

Oh and nice job tying in Saddam Hussein for a little sensationalism, lets get fired up people! Breaking news here! Jesus Christ may have been from the middle east. I'm stunned.

the ethnicity and skin color of the historical Jaysus is certain....

the boy was a middle eastern jew...no doubt about that

gr8fulyankee
01-16-2006, 20:26
hmm...
Neve Cambell
Ashley Judd
Natalie Portman
and Jerry Garcia

Moxie00
01-16-2006, 21:03
Crash and Just Plain Dave, two great guys from the class of 2000 who are no longer with us. I hope all their trails are beautiful, it never rains in heaven, and all the shelters have no mice and soft floors.

AbeHikes
01-17-2006, 10:25
My wife
Our older son
Our daughter
Our younger son

Or

Scarlett Johansen
Tyra Banks
Lucy Liu
Kate Beckinsale

See? Either family night or the obvious... My wife would understand either way.
:jump

Lone Wolf
01-17-2006, 10:34
Duffbuster
Ted Nugent
Keith Shaw
Howard Stern

Almost There
01-17-2006, 10:40
LW you would choose to spend the night with Howard Stern over Gypsy??? I think you've been drinking too much "mineral" water!

Seeker
01-17-2006, 10:59
I hope all their trails are beautiful, it never rains in heaven, and all the shelters have no mice and soft floors.

some rain is beautiful... but i'll assume you mean a cold nasty drenching rain that gets into all your stuff and makes you miserable...

Jesus
Thomas Jefferson
Genghis Khan
Ramses II

Moxie00
01-17-2006, 11:49
Duffbuster
Ted Nugent
Keith Shaw
Howard Stern
I can't imagine a conversation between Keith and Howard. Keith would badmouth The Pie Lady and Howard would just badmouth. It wiuld be awesome to behold. If Pat Shaw was there to cook it would really be a night to remember.

wyclif
01-17-2006, 14:18
young George Washington (the Surveyor, pre-Presidential)
Meriwether Lewis
William Clark
John Muir

saimyoji
01-17-2006, 16:14
Duffbuster
Ted Nugent
Keith Shaw
Howard Stern

As talented as Howard is, I doubt you'd get him within 20 miles of an AT shelter, lest he was driven there by limo. Even then, sleep in a shelter?? Howard?? Puleeze.... Howard can't even use a toilet other than his own private one. I'd like to see Ted take the piss out of him for it though. Maybe butcher a buck right on Howie's sleeping bag just to initiate him.

Howard Stern Rulez. (even though he's a sissy)

The Cheat
01-17-2006, 16:25
Any four servicemen/women currently in Iraq/Afghanistan.

lobster
01-17-2006, 16:37
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" width="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">Who is Duffbuster?

Howard does look like a hiker!
</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Lone Wolf
01-17-2006, 17:22
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" width="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">Who is Duffbuster?

Howard does look like a hiker!
</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
Duff was a friend who died of cancer in 2000. He was diagnosed just after Trail Days that year and died less than 4 months later. He was one helluva man.

Heater
01-17-2006, 18:16
Lester Flatt
Earl Scruggs
Emeril Lagasse
Rachael Ray

Squeaky 2
01-17-2006, 18:18
Abehikes your second choice deserves respect. its your one chance to spend the night alone with people you admire and respect. jenna jameson or jesus christ? i know what miracles i would rather have performed on me.......!!!

Skidsteer
01-17-2006, 18:44
Jesus
Thomas Jefferson
Genghis Khan
Ramses II

If you ever DO spend a night in a shelter with Jesus, Ask him to design an ultralight pack. I figure since he walked on water.......piece of cake!:sun

Belew
01-17-2006, 19:06
Larry Keel
Bob Marley
Janis Joplin
Duane Allman

We would need to be at the old Deep Gap shelter in Damascus so Wolf, Gypsy, Don and who ever else could come by for a while.

Jack Tarlin
01-17-2006, 19:10
Ernest Shackleton
Meriwether Lewis
T.E. Lawrence
Richard Burton (the explorer, not the actor)

Oh, and if they couldn't make it, Ann Coulter.

lobster
01-17-2006, 19:47
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" width="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">As far as Ann, is that for the disagreements about politics you might have or something else???</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">

Heater
01-17-2006, 20:07
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" width="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">As far as Ann, is that for the disagreements about politics you might have or something else???

I am quite convinced that Anne's DNA contains a large amount of strands of the Lizard variety.

I am not sure of the exact kind of Lizard. If there are any Lizard experts out there, perhaps the next time she is on a news program, you could observe and try to narrow down the exact type of lizard she resembles.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>[/quote]

Papa Razzi
01-17-2006, 23:08
William Shatner
Ted Nugent
Ghandi
Nancy Reagan

khaynie
01-18-2006, 09:56
Scarlett Johansen
Matisyahu
Dennis Miller
Stone Cold Steve Austin

Mailbox
01-18-2006, 10:45
1. Merlyn, from T.H. White's The Once and Future King
2. Al Roker from the Today Show, to see what he'd say on TV, and because he's always so jolly.
3. Oprah
4. Koko the Chimpanzee

Alligator
01-18-2006, 11:20
Since it's four, John, Paul, George, and Ringo.

JoeHiker
01-18-2006, 13:12
Miss October 1982
Miss October 1984
Miss July 1992
Miss April 2003

wacocelt
01-18-2006, 13:56
Wolfhound (My currently to be ex-father in law to be and one of the finest examples of human kind I've ever met)
Ox 2,000 British SoBo, Lucky 2,005 Irish NoBo (These two guys are some of the funniest and down to Earth people I've ever met)
I'll leave the last place open to any of the select few people from Whiteblaze that I've met and come to know and respect over the past few years. Hopefully I'll get the oppourtunity to spend some quality time with all of you folks eventually. Be well.

Puck

Mags
01-18-2006, 15:44
1) My late grandfather.
Knew him more as "Pop". A kind, warm hearted man who loved to garden.Did not get to know him as Domenic too well. Would have loved to pick his brain about his WW2 service, growing up as a first generation American and many other subjects that made him who he was. I regretfully did not ask these questions when I was an adult (and when he would have been ready to answer the questions).

2) Meriwether Lewis.
Must admit to have been enraptured with the whole L&C expedition lately. As I plan my own trip on the divide, a person who was 32 years old in 1806 (do the math) seems to resonate with me. Wrote almost poetically about the places he had seen. Wotta journey!

3) My buddy Tim
We went to Catholic school together. We grew up in the same area of RI. We worked in the same hospital during our college years. I did my first backpacking trip with him. He hiked the last week of the AT with me (when he had a great girlfriend), the last week of the PCT with me (when he has a great wife) and is planning to do the last week of the CDT with me (has a beautiful little girl who will be turn one years old just before I finish). I have great friends in Boulder...but when you have that kind of deep background with someone, the conversations go where I don't take them with other people. No "epic' trip finish" is complete without this buddy of mine being there.

4) Rotating guest spot. :)

Mags
01-18-2006, 15:58
not really

I am of European descent myself..and well, draw your own conclusions. :D

http://www.magnanti.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=4591
http://www.magnanti.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=4671

Guess saying "European looking" is a broad brush. ;)

smokymtnsteve
01-18-2006, 16:42
I am of European descent myself..and well, draw your own conclusions. :D

http://www.magnanti.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=4591
http://www.magnanti.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=4671

Guess saying "European looking" is a broad brush. ;)

well yea U iz....U looks leik U may have a jewish bubbie...no wander U liek eating chinese food on dec 25 :D

my 1st wife and mother of my two boys was a wolveritz....grandma wolveritz lived in brooklyn,

so U know what that makes my two sons,,,:-?

me I'm jist a pure ole Mongrel, I got many bloods in me,

I am a mongrel,
i got many bloods in me.
I am a mongrel,
an original Amerikan personality.

my great grandmother was a mulato,,,half cherokee and have African

so according to the law of Alabama U know what that makes me..;)
BUT I'm Blonde headed with Blue eyes.

why Ima real BLUE EYED SOUL BROTHER! :banana

Mags
01-18-2006, 16:51
Yep..we are all "mutts" of some sort.

The whole history of the world is people moving to and fro, settling down, meeting the locals (in friendly and not so friendly ways!) and having children.

Etruscans, Greeks, Romans, North Africans...and who ever else invaded and had wars in my family's old neck of the woods. ;)

betic4lyf
01-19-2006, 01:00
mao and gandhi to discuss africa.

i would also have thoreau, malcolm X, along as well. maybe marx to, he's got the beard

bfitz
01-19-2006, 02:06
Conan the Barbarian
Jessica Alba
Mila Jovovich
Gandalf

Edit: Replace one of the females with Boudicca warrior queen of the Celts...

wyclif
01-19-2006, 04:00
i would also have thoreau, malcolm X, along as well. maybe marx to, he's got the beard

I'd have to ditch Thoreau; too much of a whiner. Just about the only thing he gets points for around here is being a Surveyor. As Bill Bryson says:

The inestimably priggish and tiresome Henry David Thoreau thought nature was splendid, splendid indeed, so long as he could stroll to town for cakes and barley wine, but when he experienced real wilderness, on a visit to Katahdin in 1846, he was unnerved to the core...the experience left him, in the words of one biographer, "near hysterical."

lobster
01-19-2006, 13:08
Thoreau must have been a relative of Bryson!!!

the goat
01-19-2006, 13:39
I'd have to ditch Thoreau; too much of a whiner. Just about the only thing he gets points for around here is being a Surveyor. As Bill Bryson says:
quote: The inestimably priggish and tiresome Henry David Thoreau thought nature was splendid, splendid indeed, so long as he could stroll to town for cakes and barley wine, but when he experienced real wilderness, on a visit to Katahdin in 1846, he was unnerved to the core...the experience left him, in the words of one biographer, "near hysterical."

bryson's a bigger candy ass than thoreau could've ever hoped to be......while there may be some truth to this assertion of bryson's, i'm quite sure he put it in his book in an attempt to make himself look a little better for not being able to hack it.

Fiddler
01-19-2006, 19:30
After much thought here are my four:

Miyamoto Musashi - the greatest swordsman that ever lived. I have always been fascinated with feudal Japan and the world of the Samurai.

Professor Stephen Hawking - Theoretical Physicist. I am not a scientist, but I very much enjoy reading his works, those I can understand. And I will not miss one of his lectures when I know it will be televised.

Carl Sagan - He had a way of explaining things about astronomy and the universe in general (whether fact or theory) that anyone could understand.

Most of all my father who passed in 1975 - So many things not did, so many conversations not had. What would I not give for just a few more hours?

Scorpion
01-19-2006, 20:07
Jack
Like your picks, particularly T. E. Lawrence. His book The Seven Pillars of Wisdom is one of my favorites. The first time I read it was when I was in the Middle East, his old stomping grounds. Would loved to have met him.
Scorpion

wyclif
01-19-2006, 20:17
Professor Stephen Hawking - Theoretical Physicist.

How would Hawking get up Katahdin? With you pushing him in his wheelchair? ;)

betic4lyf
01-19-2006, 21:03
thoreau wrote Civil Disobedience. thats wright, the writing behind the indian revolution, the civil rights movement, among others. I remember reading somewhere that his mother did his laundry, while he was at walden

Fiddler
01-19-2006, 21:20
How would Hawking get up Katahdin? With you pushing him in his wheelchair? ;)

This thread was not for the hike or for Katahdin. See post #1. It was for one night in a shelter.

wyclif
01-19-2006, 21:29
This thread was not for the hike or for Katahdin. See post #1. It was for one night in a shelter.

Okay! :D How would you get Hawking into the shelter, push?

Fiddler
01-19-2006, 21:51
Okay! :D How would you get Hawking into the shelter, push?

Wouldn't have to. With his brainpower he could think his way in.

Cookerhiker
01-19-2006, 22:02
First Choices:
Saint Paul
Thomas Jefferson
Karl Marx
John Muir

Backup:
Martin Luther
William Shakesphere
John Stuart Mill
Theodore Roosevelt

Kozmic Zian
01-19-2006, 22:20
Yea, Who?

I'd hope to be there with just about anyone, as long as there are no 'snorrers', loud talkers, gun toters, heros, villans, and self-agrandizing SOB's.

wyclif
01-19-2006, 23:08
Backup: Theodore Roosevelt

I totally forgot about Teddy. Awesome choice...now that would be an interesting hike. :)

Apparently T.R. did do some hiking with John Muir. That's how Muir convinced him to engage in more preservation.

bfitz
01-19-2006, 23:25
Okay! :D How would you get Hawking into the shelter, push?Ever gotten a keg of beer to a shelter? Hawking would be easier....

bfitz
01-20-2006, 00:28
Musashi a cool choice as well as all the great physicists, fascinationg personalities all...
Amalie "Emmy" Noether, someone I recently read about...Mabye one of the most brilliant people and important mathematicians to have lived, her ideas fueled Einstien's theories well as her theorem demonstrating the relationship between "symmetries" and conservation laws in nature being groundwork for key ideas in modern theories, as well as many contributions to the field of mathematics, she had a wacky, absent minded personality, and was not even allowed a paid position at the university because of discrimination, she was an unpaid "teacher's assistant"...Hard to say who'd she'd replace on my list...probably Mila Jovovich...

LostInSpace
01-20-2006, 10:38
I am quite convinced that Anne's DNA contains a large amount of strands of the Lizard variety.

I am not sure of the exact kind of Lizard. If there are any Lizard experts out there, perhaps the next time she is on a news program, you could observe and try to narrow down the exact type of lizard she resembles.

[/quote]

That is really a low blow to lizards!

Tha Wookie
01-20-2006, 11:07
1. Island Mama
2. Six String
3. Luna '97
4. Jackrabbit
5. Isis
6. Toast
7. Basil
8. U-turn '98
9. Pigpen '01
10. 204

Man that would be fun.....:cool:

the goat
01-20-2006, 16:24
1. Island Mama
2. Six String
3. Luna '97
4. Jackrabbit
5. Isis
6. Toast
7. Basil
8. U-turn '98
9. Pigpen '01
10. 204

Man that would be fun.....:cool:

wookie, is pigpen from '01 the dude who was hiking in flip-flops?

i talked w/ him while i was stopped for a smoke in NH, headed south. only a couple minutes of conversation, but hard to forget, he was one hell of a character.

Cookerhiker
01-20-2006, 20:57
I totally forgot about Teddy. Awesome choice...now that would be an interesting hike. :)

Apparently T.R. did do some hiking with John Muir. That's how Muir convinced him to engage in more preservation.

That's my understanding too. Can you picture any President today (least of all the incumbent) hiking or camping or spending time in the wilderness with an enviro leader? :D

TooTall
01-20-2006, 21:30
JRR Tolkien
Alan Watts
Donald Norman
William Gibson

My eclectic list of authors

Too Tall Paul

lobster
01-21-2006, 00:03
Patton
Hitler
Jesse Jackson
Rommel

bfitz
01-21-2006, 00:17
Patton
Hitler
Jesse Jackson
Rommel
I'd replace Rommel with Goering...in drag...

Lone Wolf
01-21-2006, 00:33
None of you as*holes mentioned Lewis (Chesty ) Puller.
Semper Fidelis

bfitz
01-21-2006, 15:29
None of you as*holes mentioned Lewis (Chesty ) Puller.
Semper Fidelis
...I'd be a little intimidated....

Lone Wolf
01-21-2006, 15:32
disregard anything I post after 10:00 PM.

Alligator
01-21-2006, 15:46
Suspicion confirmed, especially as it was a friday night.

MOWGLI
01-21-2006, 15:49
I am quite convinced that Ann (Coulter's) DNA contains a large amount of strands of the Lizard variety.

Which is it? ;)

Main Entry: skink
Function: noun
Etymology: Latin scincus, from Greek skinkos
: any of a family (Scincidae) of typically small insectivorous lizards with long tapering bodies

Main Entry: skank
Function: noun
: filth: any substance considered disgustingly foul or unpleasant

Jack Tarlin
01-21-2006, 16:50
Who Is It?

Main Entry:

MOWGLI: A principal charcter found in the short fiction of Rudyard Kipling
(1865-1939); the character was best known for his resourcefulness and precociousness, tho his exuberance frequently came across as impertinent to the point of annoyance. Also known for appearing naked at inopportune moments, as well as having an obesession to hunt and kill large endangered animals.

MOWGLI
01-21-2006, 17:04
Who Is It?

Main Entry:

MOWGLI: A principal charcter found in the short fiction of Rudyard Kipling
(1865-1939); the character was best known for his resourcefulness and precociousness, tho his exuberance frequently came across as impertinent to the point of annoyance. Also known for appearing naked at inopportune moments, as well as having an obesession to hunt and kill large endangered animals.

Very good! :clap

Lugnut
01-21-2006, 18:51
I thought Mogli was that chimp on Dennis Miller's show. The chimp retired and the program folded soon after that. Guess he really was carrying the show.

bfitz
01-21-2006, 19:09
Naw...chesty was a good suggestion, just afraid he might kick my a$$ for being a (w)u$$y...

warren doyle
01-31-2006, 01:09
Don West reading his poetry;
Paul Robeson singing spirituals;
John Muir celebrating the outdoors; and,
Peace Pilgrim saying good night with a prayer for peace

Nokia
01-31-2006, 02:41
No offense to all the trail greats, but I would stay with all the folks I hiked with last year. God I miss them...
But if I had to choose four people:
George Carlin, Robin Willams, Old school Eddie Murphy, and Jesus.
At least we would all have a good laugh.

Twofiddy
01-31-2006, 09:37
Wayne Gregory

Dana Bridger

Patrick Smith

and I am torn on hiking chicks... peaches from 2003, aliencreeperpod, or kdiggidy aka digits from 2004.

kristenandblue
12-01-2023, 23:13
wookie, is pigpen from '01 the dude who was hiking in flip-flops?

i talked w/ him while i was stopped for a smoke in NH, headed south. only a couple minutes of conversation, but hard to forget, he was one hell of a character.

Is six string Aaron?

JNI64
12-02-2023, 01:40
What a cool topic:)

John Muir
Jeremiah Johnson
Ted Nugent
Bruce Lee
Donald Trump

There would be no snoring in that shelter that night you better believe!!

JNI64
12-02-2023, 02:10
2nd choice of 5 would be.....

Homemade wonderlust
Hannah Barron (the real deal)
Shemane Nugent
Carmen Electra
Janis Joplin

No snoring sounds to be heard that night for sure:) :)

Birthright
12-06-2023, 20:26
I would choose my sisters. We make up the entire four count. LOL. The reason why I would choose them is simply because my family has no Appalachian Trail experience. It's hard to discuss my experiences with them when they do not know what I am trying to share. I think the experience is important. It can get pretty lonely off trail when no one around you understands anything about your life. The trail has a culture of its own. It is like having a community. It brings out the realness of people. I also aim to share my experience and memories. There is nothing quite like it. It changes everything about you after you finish. Nothing back home is the same anymore.

JNI64
12-07-2023, 02:29
I would choose my sisters. We make up the entire four count. LOL. The reason why I would choose them is simply because my family has no Appalachian Trail experience. It's hard to discuss my experiences with them when they do not know what I am trying to share. I think the experience is important. It can get pretty lonely off trail when no one around you understands anything about your life. The trail has a culture of its own. It is like having a community. It brings out the realness of people. I also aim to share my experience and memories. There is nothing quite like it. It changes everything about you after you finish. Nothing back home is the same anymore.

I like this!
Good for you!
Respect!

TwoSpirits
12-07-2023, 12:26
Neat thread to see resurrected. Interesting to read through nearly 18 years of responses. Eclectic, to say the least. And I agree that Birthright nailed it: identified thoughts and feelings I've had since my first experience on the trail, yet have never been able to articulate. Well said.

As for me? Hard to say really -- I can think of so many fun, interesting, entertaining, intelligent, thoughtful and thought-provoking people with whom I wish I could spend an evening on the trail....

Funny thing is, I already have. I just never knew their names.

asoutherndude
12-07-2023, 17:37
Colin Fletcher
Bobby Weir
Lawrence of Arabia
Winston Churchill (for humor)

HankIV
12-07-2023, 19:29
Bob Jones
Chuck Smith
Bill Miller
Rich Howard

Seatbelt
12-07-2023, 20:56
Nimblewill Nomad
Jeff Foxworthy
Steve Harvey
Ronald Reagan

lucky luke
12-08-2023, 13:41
i would definitely want some experienced long distance hikers to share a shelter with. my favorites:

hannibal
julius cesar
napoleon
mao

and if one of them is too busy to come i would suggest the djengis khan for a replacement:-?

TwoSpirits
12-08-2023, 16:38
Ha! Good list.