PDA

View Full Version : Costco down fill throws

Suzzz
11-11-2016, 11:41
Costco (in Canada) has 60in X 70in throws for sale right now that claim to have a 700 fill power. The price is right (around $20-ish USD I think), they pack in a small stuff sack and they're lightweight (packaging didn't say how much and I had nothing to weigh them but it definitely felt like less than a pound) so it looks like it MAY be a good deal BUT they're pretty thin so I figure they're probably not all that warm (as the writing on the packaging promises them to be) but they could make a nice summer quilt.

As anyone tried them? I might buy one and see how it feels. It might even be worth it to double up with two of them for cooler fall/spring nights.

scrabbler
11-11-2016, 12:05
They are very popular. A google search will show you hundreds of threads on the subject. Hammockforums.net has a lot of good posts on it.

Suzzz
11-11-2016, 12:33
They are very popular. A google search will show you hundreds of threads on the subject. Hammockforums.net has a lot of good posts on it.

SWEET!!! Everything is closed today because it's Remembrance Day but I'll be there bright and early tomorrow morning to get one. Thanks for the info scrabbler!

Hikingjim
11-11-2016, 13:59
I have one of those exact throws
i would think it's like a 55 or 60 type thing on its own, and not a lot of use on its own unless it's all very warm nights
doubling up on them? that's not a very weight efficient way to go (doubling up on the non-down material), but could work at 50 or something if you have nothing more suitable

You could use one as a cheap way to extend the season of another bag though. I have used it once for that and it was pretty good. I folded it over my core under my 20f quilt and I overheated a bit at around 18-20f

Suzzz
11-11-2016, 20:45
I have one of those exact throws

Do you know how much it weighs?

cfaulkn
11-13-2016, 17:55

I bought this one from Costco recently and I believe we weighed it at 6 or 7 oz...definitely less than a pound.
I included it on a recent overnight hike and my total pack weight was 22 lbs with food and extra water due to drought. It's still early to really say but so far...I'm a fan!
Please understand that I'm very prone to being cold when most people aren't. I traded my thermal sleeping pad for something less weight (and less breaths to blow up) but as a result I've found myself a bit chilly from the ground even when it's not that cold. Rather than buy yet another pad, I'm thinking that using this with my bag (20 degree) will do on really cold nights. When I did use it, the temps that night were in the 50's. I had on my base layers and was more than warm so maybe!!!
I also loved having it to wrap around myself or covering my legs while sitting to eat at night. My puffy kept my top warm and this blanket added heat for the rest of me.
Time will tell when longer hikes require more hard decisions and this is definitely on the list of possible cuts if needed as it can be more of a luxury but I'm thinking it will be more than useful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jmcnair7984
11-13-2016, 19:18
14.9 0z without stuff sack

Suzzz
11-13-2016, 20:51
I got mine yesterday and slept with it on my bed last night. It was nice and cozy but then again, I was in my warm house. I'll probably try it car camping before I take it hiking, or I'll bring an extra sleeping bag... just in case. I'm always paranoid about being cold. I keep having flashbacks of my first ever camping trip as a teenager. Boy, that was a loooong cold night! I'am pretty optimistic about this one though and if I like it (which I'm pretty sure I will), I'll take it to a seamstress to have a foot box sewed in.

cfaulkn
11-13-2016, 21:31
14.9 0z without stuff sack

And there you have it! 14.9 it is...to bring or not to bring? An all too familiar question. For me, today...yes! Tomorrow?...maybe not.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Time Zone
11-14-2016, 00:10

Mine is 16.2 oz with stuff sack. I'm sure there's some variance from quilt to quilt.

Hammockers went crazy over these; they sparked 1001 DIY projects. One thing worth noting is that a fair bit of down is trapped by the sewn-through stitching. So many of them seam ripped (in just one direction) for their projects, and thus improved the temp range in two ways (one, freeing extra down, and two, reducing the area prone to cold spots by reducing the area that is sewn through). Some even resized the quilt to get an "overstuffed" effect.

Rolls Kanardly
11-14-2016, 01:11
$19.99. Costco, AZ
No temp factors that I could find on the package.
Looks nice but too thin to do any good in the cold on the start of a NOBO.

Elaikases
11-14-2016, 09:24
I've slept (in a tent or shelter) using them in a base layer to about 50 degrees.

GLIDER304GUIDER
12-01-2016, 11:55
+1 on the costco down throws. I keep one in each car. Wife was cold sitting ouside at a restaurant the other night. Ran out to the car and got the throw. She was a "happy camper". Great $20 purchase.

ki0eh
12-01-2016, 16:12
Any thoughts on Sam's Club equivalent (which seems to be 50"x60" instead) http://www.samsclub.com/sams/Eddie-Bauer-700-Fill-Power-Down-Throw/prod20612890.ip?xid=plp:product:1:2