PDA

View Full Version : Sleepwear

Suzzz
11-11-2016, 23:13
So...

The rule of thumb I've been following religiously for the past 25 years or so is that you NEVER sleep in clothes that have been worn while hiking because the humidity in the accumulated sweat will make you cold at night. Because of that I ALWAYS carry a set of sleep only clothes (top-bottom-socks) and so far it's served me well. However I've been reading a lot of posts lately where people talk about sleeping in their under layers or in other clothing items worn during the day to save on weight. Have I been wrong all this time or is it that new synthetic materials are better at keeping you warm despite the sweat?

scrabbler
11-11-2016, 23:27
You're not wrong. However, that said, I have heard an interesting concept of wearing the damp clothing over top of your sleep clothes to help dry out. Not for me, I'd rather (not happily) put on wet clothes in the morning and let my heat dry them while hiking. I like my bed dry.

nsherry61
11-11-2016, 23:39
I sleep in my base layer whether I've worn it during the day or not. I don't tend to have wet hiking cloths at bed time unless it's raining, and then, if my base layers are wet, I'd like to dry them out, which is easiest to do with body heat while sleeping. If I'm truly drenched, I might well take them off for warmth, but I'd rather dry them out while sleeping. Early morning is almost always the coldest part of the night. If it's cold out, I might do a little short run or hike or other exercise to warm up before I crawl into bed. If my cloths aren't dry by the time I get into bed, they will almost always be dried out within a couple of hours, well before the coldest part of the night/morning comes along.

I have, on occasion, also placed hot water bottles into bed with me to help with the drying process and keeping warm.

95% of the time, a little moisture in my base layers is a non-issue and I just wear them to bed.
In the winter, I take extra care to make sure I am not sweating near evening time so my cloths don't have much moisture to add to my sleep system.

Sarcasm the elf
11-11-2016, 23:47
So...

The rule of thumb I've been following religiously for the past 25 years or so is that you NEVER sleep in clothes that have been worn while hiking because the humidity in the accumulated sweat will make you cold at night. Because of that I ALWAYS carry a set of sleep only clothes (top-bottom-socks) and so far it's served me well. However I've been reading a lot of posts lately where people talk about sleeping in their under layers or in other clothing items worn during the day to save on weight. Have I been wrong all this time or is it that new synthetic materials are better at keeping you warm despite the sweat?

For warm weather camping the theory you mention isn't that important, although it is absolutely vital for cold weather and winter camping. Personally for three season camping I prefer carrying a change of hiking clothes vs a pair of dedicated "sleep clothes" and I alternate between clothes as needed, often so that I can wash the sweat and salts out as needed.

Suzzz
11-11-2016, 23:53
You're not wrong. However, that said, I have heard an interesting concept of wearing the damp clothing over top of your sleep clothes to help dry out. Not for me, I'd rather (not happily) put on wet clothes in the morning and let my heat dry them while hiking. I like my bed dry.

Yes, that's another thing I've read that puzzled me (forgot to mention it in my post). I don't deal well with humidity as a rule so I'm pretty sure that going to bed with wet clothes would not end up well for me. Hypothermia is no fun (been there done that, would rather not do it again). It may work for others but I'm not about to give it a try for myself. So like you, I put on my wet clothes in the morning and hope they dry fast.

ScareBear
11-12-2016, 09:42
It is not "absolutely vital". However, if you are a heavy perspirer, and soak your base layer and underwear on a hike, then you need a change, even in the summer. The reason? If you have a down bag, the moisture, oils and odors will be absorbed by the down and you will eventually permanently lose loft and have a stinky bag....

I've slept in my rain gear as an adjunct to my sleep system during unexpected cold. There's no absolute prohibition on what you wear inside your bag. You can even get in a synthetic bag damp, and still have warmth. Not so with down.....

Bronk
11-12-2016, 10:37
I am usually in camp for a couple of hours and my clothes dry before I go to bed. If they are a little damp they will be dry by morning from your body heat.

MuddyWaters
11-12-2016, 11:06
I am usually in camp for a couple of hours and my clothes dry before I go to bed. If they are a little damp they will be dry by morning from your body heat.

++exactly.

If they arent dry at bedtime, and Im warm in quilt/bag, I get damp itchy and end up taking them off and just sleeping in underwear . usually only pants/shorts. My tops are so thin they dry fast

KDogg
11-12-2016, 11:32
During my thru my hiking clothes were usually damp/wet at the end of the day. Mentally it made a positive difference to be able to get into dry clothes before bed and it kept my sleeping bag/liner cleaner too. Wet clothes in the morning weren't a problem. It takes just a couple minutes to get them warm after you put them on. I brought a clothesline to hang my wet clothes from and left them up at night even if it was raining. Bringing them into the tent to keep them "dry" when raining caused them to get so stinky that even other thru hikers would mention the smell so I would just wring them out in the morning an put them on. Really much less of a problem than it sounds.

Sandy of PA
11-12-2016, 14:35
I carry and use a nightgown, put in on after a rag bath, go to bed clean and dry.

rashamon12
11-12-2016, 16:34
If you have 2 sets of clothing with even if it is just hiking clothes aka your normal synthetics what you can do is regularly rinse and "wash" one pair so you have a relatively clean set of clothes every night. A rag bath will also help a lot with sleeping bag stench. I personally would only carry an additional heavier grade of sock made of wool or some sub type of wool for some added warmth and comfort for your feet. If you have swelling issues a warm compression sock may help as well with the all nasty feet issues and keep you a little extra warm since the sleeping bag foot box can still get a little chilly. Like stated above rain gear as long as it is kept clean can also add that warmth so a full set of just night time clothes isn't needed unless facing the most harsh of winter conditions.

rafe
11-12-2016, 17:11
I'm with the OP. I carry a silk base layer that's strictly for use in camp and for sleeping. Not worn while hiking, unless a laundry stop is just about to happen.

Puddlefish
11-12-2016, 17:15
I'd always come into camp a sweaty mess. Rinse off with a bandana and a cup of water. Change into wool night shirt around the camp and to sleep in. Hang the shirt outside, or if necessary inside the tent to air out by the next morning. At sleep time in the tent, lose the constrictive bottoms, use a wipe (bag it, pack it out) and wear something loose thin and cotton. No rashes, clean sleeping bag, wear less foul clothes the next day.

Maybe overkill, but I'm prone to rashes, and I don't regret the weight of the dedicated sleepwear.

shelb
11-13-2016, 20:33
In the nearly 600 miles I have hiked on the A.T., I have noticed that the majority of thru-hikers and many section hikers sleep in the same clothes they hiked in.

I am the odd-ball. My clothing set-up? I wear one set (shirt/shorts) and carry a spare (shirt/zip-off pants). I ALSO carry my sleep clothes! These are a cotton (YES, COTTON! I can't wait to get out of the nasty synthetic clothing at the end of the day!) and WOOL leggings (smart-wool). I feel SO much better at the end of the day after changing out of hiking clothing for the night!