PDA

View Full Version : Are waist belt pockets on Hyperlite Mountain Gear backpacks big enough for iPhones?

2017SOBO
11-12-2016, 10:51
Title says it all. I'm considering pulling the trigger on a HMG pack, but I hear complaints that their waist belt pockets are small. I don't mind small, but what i do mind is having to put my iPhone in the main compartment because I'd like to have it handy for navigation and pictures. Does anyone know if their pockets will hold and iPhone 6/6S/7?

la.lindsey
11-14-2016, 09:54
I love everything about my HMG pack...except the pockets. They're probably big enough for a phone, and I've seen them work well for other people, but where they hit my hip bones they're just not functional.

I wear a fanny pack and it is my absolute favorite. It gives me something to carry my crap around town in, too. I still use the pockets for trash and my headlamp, but I keep snacks and my phone in my fanny pack.

Hope that helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wyoming
12-30-2016, 00:19
Another option if the HMG pockets are not big enough. I have a Z-Pack Arc Blast with their hip belt pockets attached and they hold my Samsung S6 which is in one of the rubberized water proof cases and that in a cuben fiber waterproof phone bag. I imagine their pockets would fit on your pack just fine.

Dogwood
12-30-2016, 00:36
Title says it all. I'm considering pulling the trigger on a HMG pack, but I hear complaints that their waist belt pockets are small. I don't mind small, but what i do mind is having to put my iPhone in the main compartment because I'd like to have it handy for navigation and pictures. Does anyone know if their pockets will hold and iPhone 6/6S/7?

Why R U asking here? Ask HMG directly the size of their hip belt pockets on your HMG model pack. Take out a tape measure and measure your device. If this was done 45 days ago you would have had your correct answers 42 days ago. Jus saying.

The Apple iPhone 6. 2" x 3" x .29". IMO, having an expensive heavily relied upon iPhone jammed into a tight fitting hip belt pocket is setting yourself up to crack the screen...easy to do in a fall. Might consider a shoulder strap zippered pouch like Zpacks makes.

Deacon
12-30-2016, 06:40
I carry mine in a ZPacks shoulder strap pouch. Fits perfectly. It's close enough I can grab it in an instant for photos.
http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/shoulderpouch.shtml

egilbe
12-30-2016, 06:57
You can always call and ask if they will make the pockets oversized for you.

Leo L.
12-30-2016, 10:03
I like the smartphone rather to have in a thigh pocket of the trousers, than in the waist belt pocket. From the waist belt I find it hard to fumble out at urgence, and if I put away the pack the phone would be away too.
Only when some rock climbing is involved, I temporarily take the phone out of the thigh pocket and put it into the pack.

gotts63
05-26-2017, 09:55
yes it will fit fine.