PDA

View Full Version : What fabric of clothes do you prefer while hiking?

Tudor
01-15-2006, 16:07
What fabric do you prefer your clothes to be made out of and why? Do you prefer cotton over hemp or wool over cotton or polyester over organic(s) or any combination of which? No shoe fabrics, just the basics like underwear shorts/pants, shirts/jackets/fleeces, hats, gloves/mittens.

Tudor
01-16-2006, 10:32
What fabric do you prefer to wear for certain types of clothing? Do you like your wool socks, or your poly-blend shorts, etc.? I am a creature of comfort and enjoy hemp pants and shirts myself. A bit pricey, but they last forever and feel great from early Spring to late Autumn. Haven't tested them out in the winter cold, due to Indiana's winter being way mild this year. Oh, and I love me some merino wool socks. :sun

Kerosene
01-16-2006, 15:14
I recently purchased a few Nike Sphere T-shirts for my gym workouts, since my cotton T's were getting totally soaked and gross by the end of an intensive workout. Huge difference in comfort. On the Trail I wear a Duofold CoolMax T-shirt (5.0 oz) that dries overnight in all but the most humid weather.

Nean
01-16-2006, 15:56
I like cotton, it trips some types up. Not my drawers though.:o Shirt, socks, sure.

Tudor
01-17-2006, 13:20
I like cotton, it trips some types up.

It sure does! :jump I was wearing cotton pants and a cotton tee through the 100mi. Wilderness, and a couple of NOBOs in Monson couldn't understand why I was wearing cotton! Was probably the funniest reaction I had ever come across. Well, 2nd funniest. Funniest would have to be every time I have to explain what the AT is and that I'm gonna hike it this year! :clap

restless
01-17-2006, 14:15
I like cotton, it trips some types up. Not my drawers though.:o Shirt, socks, sure.
C'mon Nean, I thought you were a real hiker!!:D Everyone knows that cotton kills-at least thats what all the outdoor clothing manufacturers tell us.

cowboybsw
08-29-2007, 13:24
I like cotton too. Very comfortable. Yeah all of the manufacturers do say "cotton kills" every ten seconds, but that all depends on the climate you are in. Hot dry climates cotton is actually best since it helps you retain moisture you would otherwise lose too quickly from some type of wicking fabric. Back in the day cotton and wool were the only choices and as you know if you have looked wool is not cheap. To me the new fabrics are a supply and demand revolution. People want to go into the back country and have no worries and little preliminary training/education that is what the new specialized fabrics do, you just put it on and forget about it. The opposite of that is when you take extra care to not get wet or sweat when it is cold and you are wearing cotton. yes the other fabrics are better and more functional but you can not judge anyone for wearing cotton if they know what they are doing.

bigcranky
08-29-2007, 13:43
Well, your poll is a good idea, but it only lets me choose one fabric. I like wool socks and a wool top in cool weather, but I wear nylon shorts with a mesh brief (oops, no "nylon" on the list either) year-round, and a synthetic top in the summer. With lighter wool socks. So, no one fabric choice for everything. I guess I could choose "other."

JAK
08-29-2007, 14:09
I like a combination also, an optimal mix for high performance frugality.

Mags
08-29-2007, 14:39
Cotton itself isn't bad.

Cotton in cold, windy and wet conditions is bad.

I like a mix of clothing myself.

fehchet
08-29-2007, 15:11
Yes, no nylon, no silk on the list. Most hikers I have encountered use a combination of materials. I use a silk hiking shirt, nylon shorts, silk undies, and wool socks with a poly liner.

hopefulhiker
08-29-2007, 20:45
I used nylon shorts and patagonia t shirt and long underwear

Egads
08-29-2007, 21:05
We can vote for one fabric only?

Nearly all hiking pants are nylon or poly/nylon blend. Not much choice here

I prefer wool shirts or a silk/wool blend.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
08-29-2007, 22:19
Silk for hot weather, wool for cold weather, tech-poly for mixed weather and nylon for pants.

JAK
08-29-2007, 22:34
I agree with the Frolicking D, except that I would say it is almost always good to have a mix of all of the above, but thicker layers as the extremes get colder. I would throw in down also for extreme dry cold, except the stuff I carry for the wet and not so extreme cold is usually enough for the dry and extreme cold, when I get it. Still I like mixing, so I will eventually get down, but that will likely be just the sleeping bag or over quilt. I've thought a light weight down long coat, that might double as an overquilt might be a handy addition as extremes here do occassionally hit 30 below in January. I still rely mostly on the other layers though, as out winters are wet and good fleece doesn't absorb much and wool is warm when wet and can be dried by fire. I would like to try a long coat in a long slow trudge through 30 below. Perhaps if I see a 5'12" 220# lady from china this fall she might let me try hers. :)