PDA

View Full Version : Need 2 night ideas, 3-4 hours driving from ATL, backpacking

tombolino
11-13-2016, 12:25
BUMMED: Just cancelled backpacking Smokies trip this weekend due to high smoke (no pun intended). I was going to do Alum Cave Trail /Le Conte/Boulevard/Bunion, New Found Gap. So....time to come up with something new for during the week or for next weekend / November in areas not affected by forest fires smoke.

Would love some epic route suggestions; very in the mood for meadowy ridges/alpine.

I like to do the must do spots that are amazing for sure. (Some suggestions can be obscure and based on particular taste). I like to do loops/trails that are known to blow your mind on terms of views, scenery etc

2 nights, driving from ATL, drive in and start hiking 11am on 1st day. Shelters a huge plus. I can do 10 miles if needed.

Some interesting ones I have read about but havent figured out how to turn into 2 nighter route:

Roan Mountain (a bit far from ATL, almost 5 hour drive)
Art Loeb Trail/parts of it
Max Patch
Shining Rock (good idea solo? bears?)
Epic AT section?
Other suggests?

Fyi: I have already done Standing Indian loop, and a couple of AT 2 nighters in GA toward the beginning.

tombolino
11-13-2016, 13:13
I have figured out Roan and Shining Rock already.

tombolino
11-13-2016, 13:26
Roan is too far for a weekend

TNhiker
11-13-2016, 13:57
All those places you listed will be similarly effected by the smoke...

i just drove back to knoxville from asheville and the smoke was very thick....

Dogwood
11-13-2016, 18:42
Big South Fork: along the river using the Sheltowee Trace and JMT

Foothills Tr: Whitewater Falls back to Table Rock SP or Caesars Head SP past Raven Cliff Falls to Jones Gap SP taking in Rainbow Falls and the Middle Saluda River. The second option isn't the official Foothills Tr but that shouldn't stop the adventure.

Cumberland Island GA: haven't done this yet but on the nearby overnight weekend trip list, be mindful of logistics like winter ferry schedules.

Pinhoti Tr: grab a Alabama segment. I'd check on conditions first but I'd suggest Cheaha Falls/Cheaha SP area

Mountains to Sea Trail: haven't completed the MTS Tr yet but I'd suggest near the coast although the travel time might be far reaching

I'd say Cloudlands, Talulah Gorge, or Fort Mt but you'd likely be impacted from the smoke.

Dogwood
11-13-2016, 18:45
As wonderful as the AT is do you really want to limit yourself to it?

Malto
11-13-2016, 19:03
As wonderful as the AT is do you really want to limit yourself to it?
Agree with this.

I will add a couple from days living in ATL. Chattooga River trail on the border of SC and Ga. That is where the Deliverence was filmed and the extras can still be seen in the woods. Also, the area around the Conasauga River area has a bunch of trails. Tipi Walter could probably write a book for you on where to go.

TNhiker
11-13-2016, 19:19
Also, the area around the Conasauga River area has a bunch of trails

the cohutta area is currently closed due to fires.....

Secondmouse
11-13-2016, 19:38
anything north and east of ATL is going to be either involved with fire/smoke, or no water.

try out a little further west. the Pinhoti in Ala. trail is not quite the dramatic altitude of the GA/NC/TN mtns but sections are very pretty this time of year.

I did a little 2-day solo section from Sweetwater Lake Parking Area down to the South FS 500 trailhead. I spent the night at the beautiful Lower Shoal Shelter. or there's plenty of other sections. here's a good resource --

http://www.pinhotitrailalliance.org/al-pocket-guides..html

Venchka
11-13-2016, 19:49
Alabama is as bad or worse than GA and NC re: fire and drought.
Ironically, the Rockies are warmer and wetter than normal.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Secondmouse
11-14-2016, 02:58
Alabama is as bad or worse than GA and NC re: fire and drought.
Ironically, the Rockies are warmer and wetter than normal.
Wayne

no it's not, not the area I recommended. I was through that area a couple days ago with no evidence of smoke. I'm sitting north of ATL right now with a lingering smoke smell from the fires north of here.

also, the water sources along that trail are rivers that are pretty reliable. I haven't been anywhere in N GA or NC since middle of summer. there's no reliable water anywhere up there...

tombolino
11-14-2016, 10:35
I have been calling the Smokies rangers daily and it was bad this past weekend and today Monday is even worse (smoke and smoke risk wise)

Venchka
11-14-2016, 10:45
no it's not, not the area I recommended. I was through that area a couple days ago with no evidence of smoke. I'm sitting north of ATL right now with a lingering smoke smell from the fires north of here.

also, the water sources along that trail are rivers that are pretty reliable. I haven't been anywhere in N GA or NC since middle of summer. there's no reliable water anywhere up there...

Sorry. You're there. You know better.
Someday I'll slow down, get off of 59 and see NE Alabama.
Wayne

tombolino
11-14-2016, 10:46
Guys, Roan Highlands, normally done in 1 or 2 nights?

saltysack
11-14-2016, 10:55
Iron man gap to 19e is 30 miles...great section. I did it in February a few years back 2.5 days...go for it

johnnybgood
11-14-2016, 10:56
Chattooga River Trail from US 76 near Clayton, Ga. to Bad Creek. Not your meadow, high alpine hike but in your neighborhood of a couple hour drive.

blue indian
11-14-2016, 10:57
I had to cancel my plan for the Standing Indian loop this past weekend too. I totally underestimated the severity of the situation.

So I did an overnight up and over max patch to roaring fork shelter. Saturday drove to Pisgah and day hiked black balsam knob, tennant mnt, and ivestor gap.

THere were people all over the place at both spots. All day hikers. I could smell em...

johnnybgood
11-14-2016, 11:13
Guys, Roan Highlands, normally done in 1 or 2 nights?

Indian Grave Gap to 19E (Elk Park) is 42 miles , can be done in 3 days 2 nights.

tombolino
11-14-2016, 11:19
No smoke on Max Patch and Pisgah?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

blue indian
11-14-2016, 11:27
No smoke on Max Patch and Pisgah?

They were both clear when I was there but smoke was prevalent on the horizon. All depends on wind patterns...

TNhiker
11-14-2016, 15:19
Saturday drove to Pisgah and day hiked black balsam knob, tennant mnt, and ivestor gap.

Well.....dang...

had ad i known yous was going to be close to asheville Saturday night---I could have left ya a free ticket to keller at the Orange peel....

saltysack
11-14-2016, 15:22
Well.....dang...

had ad i known yous was going to be close to asheville Saturday night---I could have left ya a free ticket to keller at the Orange peel....

Nice offer....

Abi
11-14-2016, 19:08
I was planning on the entire Foothills Trail next week, but a good portion of that trail is actually closed to backpacking right now due to the fires.

I looked at other hikes in SC but seems the longer of the trails all have bridges out from the hurricane so you cannot hike end to end in most of the parks.

NC has the MST, you can hike from Eno River in Durham all the way around Falls Lake to the Dam (about 76 miles- "Falls Lake Trail"). Campgrounds are open, but no campfires west of hwy 95, and it'll be cold at night.

tombolino
11-14-2016, 22:23
Gonna let a few weeks pass

BeardedBlazer
11-15-2016, 12:42
No water and smoke at Roan. Plus gonna be really cold Sat and Sunday. Springer to Neel is clear and has water according to Mountain Crossings.