PDA

View Full Version : best time to start northbound

penny b
11-13-2016, 20:53
I know there are popular times to get to Georgia and start heading north. But is there a good time to not have to deal with too much winter weather either in the smokies or further up north ? I know its not going to be all spring and summer weather but would like to avoid much of the winter colder weather if possible.

soumodeler
11-13-2016, 21:40
I would personally start (again, tried once leaving April 7) in mid-late April. Most of the thrus are already gone, the weather should not be too bad, and you are leaving early enough to not have to worry about really bad weather in Maine.

Another Kevin
11-13-2016, 21:42
Does it have to be a traditional thru-hike? There are a bunch of nontraditional patterns (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/home/explore-the-trail/thru-hiking/alternative) that get better weather, avoiding both the worst heat/drought and the worst cold. The chief drawbacks are somewhat more complicated travel logistics, and the fact that you won't be surrounded by the cozy thru-hiker bubble. The latter is an advantage to some of us. I, for one, enjoy solitude on trail. Many of the patterns also start out on the easier sections of the trail; most of the challenge of the AT is at the two ends. New England is hardest, but Georgia is nothing to be sneezed at, especially for a novice hiker who is unaccustomed to mountain hiking.

swjohnsey
11-13-2016, 21:48
Around April 1 is a good compromise, maybe pick a non-weekend day around that.

penny b
11-13-2016, 21:57
I would like to do the traditional hike as I plan on starting in Georgia and not stopping til I get to Maine. I plan on doing many more hikes before I do my thru hike and join some local hiking clubs in my area to get used to the different types of hiking and terrains. I planning on doing a thru-hike in a few years so got plenty of time to train and get used to different things . But I not real big on winter weather. I was really hoping to leave in February but I thinking that the smokies wont be so inviting.

AfterParty
11-13-2016, 22:22
I looked up weather patterns once and GA in Apr had very few nights under 40. 1-10 so maybe 3 nights in the first month. Leaving in April. This is history patterned so different years will just be worse then others. Some years it could 50s for lows by April. This is only as relevant as well not much or everything.

FreeGoldRush
11-13-2016, 22:54
Does anyone leave before Jan. 1? How about a NOBO where you hike for two months in the fall, go home for a few months, and then resume in April or May where you left off last fall? It should keep one clear of the bubble during their entire hike and avoid the Smokies when it's cold. Does that still count as a thru hike so long as you finish in 12 months?

jj dont play
11-14-2016, 00:29
Mid April should be good. Weather is unpredictable so you may still have some cold days but better chance of not getting it too bad if you leave April or later. Early May even better if you plan to hike bigger mileage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

map man
11-14-2016, 01:34
To avoid winter-like weather at either end on a NOBO thru-hike be prepared to complete in five months or less. Starting April 21 or later and ending no later than September 20 will give you the best chance to avoid sub-freezing temps (though no guarantees). The longer you take to thru-hike the greater the certainty of cold weather at either end.

Engine
11-14-2016, 08:10
It can show at higher elevations well into April, especially through North Carolina. But, those instances are rare and usually not very significant. If you can tolerate 1 or 2 late winter events, maybe 1-2" of snow, any start date after April 1 should be okay. Just remember, the peak of the bubble is around April 1st also...

Elaikases
11-14-2016, 09:26
Does anyone leave before Jan. 1? How about a NOBO where you hike for two months in the fall, go home for a few months, and then resume in April or May where you left off last fall? It should keep one clear of the bubble during their entire hike and avoid the Smokies when it's cold. Does that still count as a thru hike so long as you finish in 12 months?

The official definition is finishing within 12 months.

You could take off north bound in June from West Virginia and then come back and go southbound from West Virginia in April.

moldy
11-14-2016, 10:10
You fear the Winter weather. You are right to do so. Of the many torments you can encounter on a thru hike it ranks at the top of the list for furnishing the knock out blow to your plan. The first of April is a good time to start but does not insure that you won't see some bad weather.

Spirit Walker
11-14-2016, 12:32
I did both thruhikes starting around April 1. I had some snow on both hikes and some cold nights in the Smokies. Spring flowers didn't really begin until May. If I were you I'd start April 15-20th. That gives you plenty of time to get to Katahdin before it closes in October.

trailmercury
11-14-2016, 14:28
It can show at higher elevations well into April, especially through North Carolina. But, those instances are rare and usually not very significant. If you can tolerate 1 or 2 late winter events, maybe 1-2" of snow, any start date after April 1 should be okay. Just remember, the peak of the bubble is around April 1st also...
If you look closely at out 2017 Thru hiker registry here, It seems that the vast majority are leaving earlier than 4/1. So at least the "White Blaze" bubble will be gone by 4/1.