PDA

View Full Version : A day hike south from Harper's Ferry

JLorenzo77
11-14-2016, 11:36
Hi group - I am interested in doing a day hike, starting at Harper's Ferry and heading south this Friday. Initially I was interested in getting to Blackburn Trail Center but that is ~ 13 miles and I may not be up to covering that distance. Is there a good trail head maybe 8 - 10 miles from Harper's Ferry?

I've done this hike before but stopped around 6 miles (I had to double back to my car).

Thanks!

johnnybgood
11-14-2016, 12:40
Keys Gap is 6 miles from the footbridge in Harper's Ferry. An out and back doubles that mileage.
* Another option is the Harper's Ferry/ Loudoun Heights Trail Loop hike that takes you through Harper's Ferry Proper before climbing the cliffs above the town.

Hiking Upward has a review of this hike...www.hikingupward.com (http://www.hikingupward.com)

JLorenzo77
11-14-2016, 13:16
Keys Gap is 6 miles from the footbridge in Harper's Ferry. An out and back doubles that mileage.
* Another option is the Harper's Ferry/ Loudoun Heights Trail Loop hike that takes you through Harper's Ferry Proper before climbing the cliffs above the town.

Hiking Upward has a review of this hike...www.hikingupward.com (http://www.hikingupward.com)

Awesome, Johnny. Thanks! I may go to Keys Gap (with a hike to Loudoun). I don't want to turn around. I'm a point-to-point fellow.

Zig-Zag
11-14-2016, 15:41
If you didn't mind a little extra driving (not much) you could get a pretty nice 7.5 miles from Blackburn S. to Snickers Gap that would include the view from Raven's Rocks.

JLorenzo77
11-14-2016, 17:02
If you didn't mind a little extra driving (not much) you could get a pretty nice 7.5 miles from Blackburn S. to Snickers Gap that would include the view from Raven's Rocks.

That is a good idea. It would be an entirely new part of trail for me.

Zig-Zag
11-14-2016, 19:46
Awesome - it really is a fun hike (to me). You start with several miles of ridgewalking and then hit a few roller coaster bumps that include a great view. I live quite close to Snickers Gap. Feel free to message me with questions, etc...

JLorenzo77
11-15-2016, 09:09
Awesome - it really is a fun hike (to me). You start with several miles of ridgewalking and then hit a few roller coaster bumps that include a great view. I live quite close to Snickers Gap. Feel free to message me with questions, etc...

Thanks Pal! I might just do that!

dcdennis
11-16-2016, 05:50
Just an FYI, starting in HF and going sobo is very challenging. The first several miles will basically be straight up ��