PDA

View Full Version : Looking for outer layer suggestions

dcdennis
11-14-2016, 14:02
Looking for a new exterior layer (down jacket or equivalent). Requirements are only that it will be used in late fall and winter. Price is my primary consideration and weight is my secondary. So far I've investigated Mountain H/W, Patagonia, REI and Arc'Teryx. The prices are intimidating to say the least. Item will be used for backpacking. Willing to buy used. I've kept my eyes on the board here and the various FB flea market groups but figured I'd ask for suggestions here too.

Ktaadn
11-14-2016, 14:20
Costco....

nsherry61
11-14-2016, 16:22
Looking for a new exterior layer (down jacket or equivalent). . . Price is my primary consideration and weight is my secondary. . .
FWIW: A "down jacket or equivalent" is normally considered your insulating layer, not your outer or shell layer. So, are you looking for a heavier, outer layer type insulation or are you looking for puffy light insulation that will be protected by another shell layer in many situations.

Where does function fit into your priority list?

Synthetic is less expensive than down in many situations and although heavier and less compressible than better quality downs, synthetics are highly functional and potentially less expensive.

As noted above, if they are still available, the Costco down coats have been getting lots of WhiteBlaze press this last week.

And, if price really is your highest priority, then shopping for brand name products from reputable outfitters is not going to meet your priorities when cheaper products will always be available from the Costcos and Walmarts of the world.

But, you often get what you pay for in outdoor equipment. There is no reason to pay more for quality you will not use. But, if you use your equipment a lot in demanding situations, most people end up not being pleased with cheaper gear and highly valuing their higher end gear. Some choices are well worth saving for.

Cheyou
11-14-2016, 20:54
https://www.uniqlo.com/us/en/men/outerwear-and-blazers/ultra-light-down/

this might work

MtDoraDave
11-14-2016, 21:26
Kohls has a 650 fill down jacket marked down to $50, throw in a 20% coupon and $5 Kohls cash, and I'm considering my first down jacket for $35.

saltysack
11-15-2016, 08:56
I'm glad I spent the money on my montbell down parka several years ago...$ well spent....warm, light and good quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RockDoc
11-15-2016, 11:44
another vote for montbell. Money well spent.

Engine
11-15-2016, 11:55
My montbell vest is one of my favorite pieces of gear...

Miles 2 Go
11-15-2016, 20:25
What size are you looking for? I have a mens large Mountain Hardware Ghost Whisperer with hood for sale on the boards here.

cmoulder
11-15-2016, 21:13
I am a total Montbell fanboy and have a buncha MB stuff, however I think I understand what dcdennis is looking for and why.......

I too prefer a large down parka that can fit over everything else, in the style of a belay parka. This makes it super simple just to throw it on quickly over everything else during breaks and then stuff it back into the pack when it's time to move again. I normally wear a medium but I got this Eddie Bauer (http://www.eddiebauer.com/product/men--39-s-downlight-stormdown-hooded-jacket/38832284/_/A-ebSku_0880110100000090__38832284_catalog10002_en__ US?showProducts=&backToCat=Men&previousPage=SCAT&tab=first_ascent&color=182) parka in a large and couldn't be happier. I would have gotten a MB parka for this use but I wanted to give moisture resistant down a try and this has turned out be be a great option. I have intentionally abused it (exposure to moisture and stuffing it while damp, not physical abuse or abrasion) and it has held up quite well for a couple of seasons and shows no signs of letting me down.

PS to add I am 5'9"/170 and would still recommend a L and not a M for this application.