PDA

View Full Version : Wesser Bald observation tower burnt down?

TNhiker
11-14-2016, 22:31
On a different site, someone was saying that Wesser Bald observation tower burnt down due to the wildfire in that area....

can anyone confirm this? Or give me more info?

thanks

daddytwosticks
11-15-2016, 08:14
Oh no! That would be horrible. So many good memories atop that tower. :(

ScareBear
11-15-2016, 09:45
The observation tower did indeed burn down. The Wayah Bald stone fire tower is still intact....haven't heard about Albert Mountain Fire Tower....

Gambit McCrae
11-15-2016, 10:21
The observation tower did indeed burn down. The Wayah Bald stone fire tower is still intact....haven't heard about Albert Mountain Fire Tower....

Albert Mnt Tower is made of steel..

saltysack
11-15-2016, 10:30
On a positive note did any of the rat traps get burnt down? Aka shelters

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cneill13
11-15-2016, 10:47
What a bummer. The towers are to me one of the major highlights on the NC AT. And you know with today's tight funds, they will not get rebuilt.

If these fires were arson as rumored, it makes the loss even more bitter.

Carl

hikernutcasey
11-15-2016, 10:58
What a bummer. The towers are to me one of the major highlights on the NC AT. And you know with today's tight funds, they will not get rebuilt.

CarlYeah, if they find the guy who started that particular fire they should make him pay to have it rebuilt. That tower in particular was a great one because if it wasn't there you wouldn't have any views at all unlike Wayah and Albert. But because it was there, in my opinion, it was one of the best views on all of the southern A.T.

FreeGoldRush
11-15-2016, 10:58

Carl

Tax revenues are at an all time record high. Funds are not tight. They have simply been corrupted while most people have been brainwashed to believe otherwise.

Jeff
11-15-2016, 11:08
The observation tower atop Bromley Mountain in Vermont was razed due to unsafe conditions. The Green Mountain Club is hoping to rebuild it relying strictly on donations. It may take a few more years.

cneill13
11-15-2016, 11:43
Funding for the park service is tight.

http://www.npr.org/2016/03/08/466461595/national-parks-have-a-long-to-do-list-but-cant-cover-the-repair-costs

saltysack
11-15-2016, 12:06

http://www.npr.org/2016/03/08/466461595/national-parks-have-a-long-to-do-list-but-cant-cover-the-repair-costs

With what's getting ready to happen....will be even tighter.......

Tipi Walter
11-15-2016, 12:28
The observation tower atop Bromley Mountain in Vermont was razed due to unsafe conditions. The Green Mountain Club is hoping to rebuild it relying strictly on donations. It may take a few more years.

Where there's a tower on a mountain top there's a road to that mountain top. I've got a peeve against these roads. Might as well just put up a cell phone tower.

saltysack
11-15-2016, 12:46
Where there's a tower on a mountain top there's a road to that mountain top. I've got a peeve against these roads. Might as well just put up a cell phone tower.

Good point....is there a road to wesser tower as I don't remember seeing one?

TNhiker
11-15-2016, 12:50

looking at a map----it does not appear to have a road going to the tower...

also------looks like this isnt the first time it has burnt down...

from this website...

http://www.summitpost.org/wesser-bald/873590

In 1979 somebody headed up Wesser Bald and thought it would be fun to set the old cab on fire, depriving hikers, for the next 14 years, of the peaks majestic views. The rusting and, now, charred skeleton of the tower stood forlornly while hikers from all over begged and pleaded for the Forest Service to restore the tower. Thankfully, the USFS heard their pleas and took steps to restore the old lookout. Atop the refurbished skeleton they placed the 20'x20' viewing deck which remains to this day.

Tipi Walter
11-15-2016, 12:50

There must've been at one time unless a bunch of guys hand carried the tower to the top.

TNhiker
11-15-2016, 12:52
There must've been at one time unless a bunch of guys hand carried the tower to the top.

thats what they did when the rebuilt mount cammerrer in the park......

along with using horses...........

Uncle Joe
11-15-2016, 12:52

"In total, Theuer estimates the annual cost of keeping this schoolhouse standing is $35,000 to $40,000." Maybe this is why money is tight.

TNhiker
11-15-2016, 12:53

or an airlift.........

such as how they did for the rebuilding of the shelters in the national park....

rocketsocks
11-15-2016, 14:20
Tax revenues are at an all time record high. Funds are not tight. They have simply been corrupted while most people have been brainwashed to believe otherwise.okay I'll bite...where's the dough? Who's got? and how'd it get there?

soumodeler
11-15-2016, 18:12
I also read on another site that it had burnt down. There goes my plan for watching the eclipse next year.

I hope they rebuild it but I am not holding my breath.

saltysack
11-15-2016, 18:51
My son really enjoyed the tower on one of his first hikes a few years back.....I hope they catch the SOB that intentionally started it if that is the case.....it was a little rickety in need of repairs last time I was there.....
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161115/9424c11b930ccbc8b8a7b7b4f7b41aaf.jpg

burger
11-15-2016, 19:55
You easterners are getting a taste of what we westerners (yeah, I don't live in Mass. anymore) experience every year.

Get used to it. Climate change is screwing up the usual patterns of temperature and precipitation. As temperatures increase, forests need more rainfall to maintain the same level of moisture in the soils and in plant tissues (forest fires are basically caused by excessively dry plant tissues). So, even if precipitation doesn't change, drought will be more common. And so will fires.

Enjoy the areas that are still unspoiled while you can. They probably won't be unspoiled for long.

(Note: I'm not interested in debating the scientific basis of climate change. If anyone has a beef with that, please feel free to PM me, and I will happily and politely educate you on the matter. But I'm not wasting my time arguing with science deniers publicly anymore.)

TNhiker
11-15-2016, 20:03
Sorry....

but I can't "get used" to arson fires.......

lkmi
11-15-2016, 21:19
The observation tower did indeed burn down. .
Can you point us to the source of this info, pls?

saltysack
11-15-2016, 21:22
Sorry....

but I can't "get used" to arson fires.......

It seems that there are several different fires burning in the southern Appalachians????? Obviously all weren't arson were they?

TNhiker
11-15-2016, 22:56
there are over a hundred different fires in the KY/TN/GA/NC area and of those, ive heard of only one naturally occurring fire (due to lightning)....

that fire is in the cohutta wilderness and is one of the biggest in acreage....

there were 2 more arrests today---bringing the number of people arrested to 4 (that i know of) due to arson.........

and as i know---these people are not connected/related to one another..............

TNhiker
11-15-2016, 23:04
here is one of the persons arrested...

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/local/story/2016/nov/15/alabama-man-confesses-starting-sequatchie-county-fire/397878/

illabelle
11-15-2016, 23:38
here is one of the persons arrested...

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/local/story/2016/nov/15/alabama-man-confesses-starting-sequatchie-county-fire/397878/

It would be okay with me if they hang him.

liteweight
11-15-2016, 23:48
I just hiked it with my two year old last month (his very first hike on the AT). There are conflicting reports on if the tower actually has burnt down. I sure hope it hasn't.

D.D.Bear
11-16-2016, 00:35
First post. Hello!

My screen's background is a pix from the tower back to Albert Mountain. Special memory for me! Even more glad to hold it hearing this news.

T'would be a shame if it's not there for future passers by.

The Ace
11-16-2016, 00:57
You easterners are getting a taste of what we westerners (yeah, I don't live in Mass. anymore) experience every year.

Get used to it. Climate change is screwing up the usual patterns of temperature and precipitation. As temperatures increase, forests need more rainfall to maintain the same level of moisture in the soils and in plant tissues (forest fires are basically caused by excessively dry plant tissues). So, even if precipitation doesn't change, drought will be more common. And so will fires.

Enjoy the areas that are still unspoiled while you can. They probably won't be unspoiled for long.

(Note: I'm not interested in debating the scientific basis of climate change. If anyone has a beef with that, please feel free to PM me, and I will happily and politely educate you on the matter. But I'm not wasting my time arguing with science deniers publicly anymore.)

So, three years ago when record rainfall flooded Nantahala causing trail and road closures from washouts and landslides were you on WhiteBlaze touting this scientific study: http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs10584-015-1434-y , or was that also a waste of your time to explain that to Easterners?

Dogwood
11-16-2016, 01:51

Carl

HMM, I must have misplaced values because even though I enjoyed having the history of the Wesser Bald Fire Tower related to me and experiences at the tower were memorable I thought the major highlights of the AT are the flora, fauna, geology, and Natural History of the Appalachian Mountains.

Alligator
11-16-2016, 02:48
HMM, I must have misplaced values because even though I enjoyed having the history of the Wesser Bald Fire Tower related to me and experiences at the tower were memorable I thought the major highlights of the AT are the flora, fauna, geology, and Natural History of the Appalachian Mountains.It's ok for cneill13 to find the towers a major highlight Dogwood. There's nothing wrong with that and no need to suggest anyone's values are inferior.

cneill13
11-16-2016, 04:24
I said ONE of the highlights Dogface.

HYOH...

George
11-16-2016, 06:12
HMM, I must have misplaced values because even though I enjoyed having the history of the Wesser Bald Fire Tower related to me and experiences at the tower were memorable I thought the major highlights of the AT are the flora, fauna, geology, and Natural History of the Appalachian Mountains.

obviously there are more than 1 misguided individuals - since the well informed know the highlights of the AT revolve around partying

TNhiker
11-16-2016, 09:50
I said ONE of the highlights Dogface.

HYOH...

is there a need to start calling people names?

TNhiker
11-16-2016, 09:51
Alright---lets get back on track---

someone posted some photos of the tower which they climbed up last night...

so apparently it has NOT burned down....

Water Rat
11-16-2016, 09:57

That would be fantastic news!

Cookerhiker
11-16-2016, 11:04
Sad to see the demise of Wesser Bald tower. From my 2004 section hike:

saltysack
11-16-2016, 11:23
I can't find any info on this....where did you see that it burnt?

freys
11-16-2016, 11:45

When I was in HS we mock built shelters at the school and when finished took down. They used a helo to get it to the site where we built them.

-Rush-
11-16-2016, 12:02
If anyone confirms this please post a link. A few good carpenters could rebuild that observation deck in a day. The frame is steel with concrete supports. There is no road, and climbing out of Tellico Gap is a little steep. That's a shame though. I was there back in April and glad I hit it on a day where I could see for miles.

illabelle
11-16-2016, 12:24
I first saw a report that it had burnt down on Facebook, which was then discussed here in this thread. Personally, I'd consider WB to have better information than FB, but anyway... So just now I gooooooogled it, and came up with this. Where are they getting their information?

https://www.romanticasheville.com/wesser_bald_tower.htm

Excerpt:
November 2016 Update: Great news! The tower survived the forest fire, contrary to earlier reports.
The 30-foot tall tower atop Wesser Bald, North Carolina, on the Appalachian Trail (https://www.romanticasheville.com/appalachian_trail.htm) provides 360-degree mountain views of the Nantahala National Forest (https://www.romanticasheville.com/nantahala_forest.htm) and the Great Smoky Mountains (https://www.romanticasheville.com/greatsmokymountains.htm). The original tower was built 1936 by the Civilian Conversation Corps as a live-in lookout. The live-in cab was destroyed by arson in 1979 and replaced in the early 1990s by the USFS with the current observation deck for hikers...

TNhiker
11-16-2016, 12:49
I saw it posted on facebook then I went here to see if anyone could confirm...

and today on Facebook as well---someone posted pictures of them going up it last night...

TNhiker
11-16-2016, 12:53
And yeah---likewise came here to see if anyone had better info...

saltysack
11-16-2016, 12:58
Thx for updates

willys05tj
11-16-2016, 14:30
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161116/6f797d14f591f8546d44567625f210d2.jpg

This is truly said! I'm glad I got to take my daughter up to this AWESOME lookout! I hope it is rebuilt for many more to enjoy.

ScareBear
11-16-2016, 14:59
Albert Mnt Tower is made of steel..

When the forest around a metal tower burns, the metal becomes overstressed from the heat and load and can/will buckle or otherwise fail. Of course, the metal didn't burn...jeez....

swisscross
11-16-2016, 15:13
If anyone confirms this please post a link. A few good carpenters could rebuild that observation deck in a day. The frame is steel with concrete supports. There is no road, and climbing out of Tellico Gap is a little steep. That's a shame though. I was there back in April and glad I hit it on a day where I could see for miles.

Would want to get the steel inspected also. Steel is not as fire resistant as most think.
Heavy timber construction is more fire resistant than steel framed construction.

Rain Man
11-16-2016, 15:44
On a different site, someone was saying that Wesser Bald observation tower burnt down due to the wildfire in that area....

can anyone confirm this? Or give me more info?

Sure. No pic = didn't happen.

Rain Man
11-16-2016, 15:45
You have a problem with the word "change," do you?

So, three years ago when record rainfall flooded Nantahala causing trail and road closures from washouts and landslides were you on WhiteBlaze touting this scientific study: http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs10584-015-1434-y , or was that also a waste of your time to explain that to Easterners?

burger
11-16-2016, 15:52

Um, three years ago, I was on the CDT--thanks for your interest in my whereabouts!

As for your study, anyone who has spent even 5 minutes reading up on climate change knows that the models are calling for all sorts of more extreme weather--more extreme rainfall, more extreme heat waves, more extreme droughts, yadda yadda. I just focused on drought here because we're talking about fires.

Venchka
11-16-2016, 16:21
How many erroneous conclusions can people jump to without any facts to support those conclusions?
The latest posts above don't include the recent information that all of this talk about the observation deck being destroyed is pure conjecture.
This is worse than the NYT and WP reporting.
Wayne

daddytwosticks
11-16-2016, 17:00

Umm...how did they get to the tower? I thought that section of the AT was closed to hikers? :)

Dogwood
11-16-2016, 17:27
Um, three years ago, I was on the CDT--thanks for your interest in my whereabouts!

As for your study, anyone who has spent even 5 minutes reading up on climate change knows that the models are calling for all sorts of more extreme weather--more extreme rainfall, more extreme heat waves, more extreme droughts, yadda yadda. I just focused on drought here because we're talking about fires.

I can tell you are/were from Mass. :D

willys05tj
11-16-2016, 17:31
The photo I posted was from July.

The Ace
11-16-2016, 17:38
You have a problem with the word "change," do you?

No, I have a problem with those that want to “politely educate” me that they have irrefutablescientific proof that the Nantahala National Forest will not remain “unspoiled”from wildfire and that I should ”getused to it”, [“So, evenif precipitation doesn't change, drought will be more common. And so willfires. Enjoy the areas that are still unspoiled while you can. They probablywon't be unspoiled for long.”], when there are others who tell methat they have scientific proof that flash floods will ruin the Nantahala NationalForest. So, in order to “get use to it”, when I gobackpacking should I wear my fire proximity suit over my scuba diving equipmentor vice versa?

burger
11-16-2016, 18:02
No, I have a problem with those that want to “politely educate” me that they have irrefutablescientific proof that the Nantahala National Forest will not remain “unspoiled”from wildfire and that I should ”getused to it”, [“So, evenif precipitation doesn't change, drought will be more common. And so willfires. Enjoy the areas that are still unspoiled while you can. They probablywon't be unspoiled for long.”], when there are others who tell methat they have scientific proof that flash floods will ruin the Nantahala NationalForest.So, in order to “get use to it”, when I gobackpacking should I wear my fire proximity suit over my scuba diving equipmentor vice versa?

Like I said above, you'll probably both want the fire shelter and the scuba gear. It's not contradictory for more than one type of extreme weather to increase at the same time.

More here: https://www.epa.gov/climate-change-science/understanding-link-between-climate-change-and-extreme-weather

Dogwood
11-16-2016, 18:07
"...when I go backpacking should I wear my fire proximity suit over my scuba diving equipment vice versa?" :D I say a flame retardant Dive Skin is all you'd need.

The forest will likely recover but no one is saying they have a magical scientific crystal ball detailing when, how, to what extent, etc that will happen or are defining "recovered" to be exactly as you remembered it.

The fire sure can be viewed as a loss especially to those affected locally but it can also be seen as renewal and change and what will happen as the human population increasingly exponentially expands.

Gotta get ready for global warming, the Apocalypse, Zombies, alien invasion, collapse of the dollar, a new leadership, and a new paradigm, the AT post Nov 2016 Cohutta Wilderness Rough Ridge fire assimilated. :D

The Ace
11-16-2016, 19:16
It's not contradictory for more than one type of extreme weather to increase at the same time.

So, this is the best you got? Let me get this straight: We have spent a gazillion dollars on university research only to PROVE that there is going to be change, but we don't know in which direction? Why didn't someone just go over to the philosophy department where they would have told you for free that the only absolute is that there are no absolutes? Or, to put it another way:

Two angst-ridden millennials are hiking up the AT. One hiker is a liberal arts grad (probably unemployed) and says, "Something bad is about to happen; I can feel it, but I don't know what it is. The second hiker, a science grad (probably living off of a government research grant), says "Something bad is about to happen; I have already proved it, but I don't know what it is."

I am glad that I hike alone.

Trillium
11-16-2016, 19:27
Sad to see the demise of Wesser Bald tower. From my 2004 section hike:

37009Any pic from our hike during 2008 SoRuck?

burger
11-16-2016, 19:27
So, this is the best you got? Let me get this straight: We have spent a gazillion dollars on university research only to PROVE that there is going to be change, but we don't know in which direction? Why didn't someone just go over to the philosophy department where they would have told you for free that the only absolute is that there are no absolutes? Or, to put it another way:

Two angst-ridden millennials are hiking up the AT. One hiker is a liberal arts grad (probably unemployed) and says, "Something bad is about to happen; I can feel it, but I don't know what it is. The second hiker, a science grad (probably living off of a government research grant), says "Something bad is about to happen; I have already proved it, but I don't know what it is."

I am glad that I hike alone.

Now I think you're just intentionally confusing things. This isn't that complicated.

I did not say we that don't know what direction the change will be in. It's going to get warmer (https://www.epa.gov/sites/production/files/2016-07/scenarioglobaltemp.jpg), and it's probably going to get wetter on average in the Southeast (https://www.epa.gov/sites/production/files/2016-07/globalprecipmap-large.png).

At the same time, and not contradicting anything I said above, the day-to-day and week-to-week weather is going to get more variable and extreme. That means that if, say, annual precip increases 20% in Georgia 50 years from now, more of it is going to come in intense downpours (hence, flooding). Between those intense downpours, you might get a longer dry period than you get now (hence, drought and fires). These things are not contradictory.

TNhiker
11-16-2016, 20:19
dang...........

knew i shoulda posted this in Straight Forward.............

-Rush-
11-16-2016, 20:24
Would want to get the steel inspected also. Steel is not as fire resistant as most think.
Heavy timber construction is more fire resistant than steel framed construction.

I agree it should be inspected if it was able to burn up the deck. I'm amazed it even reached the deck. There's not much of anything under it but dirt, seems like the whole surrounding area would have to be an inferno.

The Ace
11-16-2016, 20:43
dang...........

knew i shoulda posted this in Straight Forward.............

And miss all of this fun? Here is some potential good news. The link to Romantic Asheville mentioned above now reads:

"November 2016 Update: Great news! The tower survived the forest fire, contrary to earlier reports."
https://www.romanticasheville.com/wesser_bald_tower.htm

And, that bastion of scientific proof, Wikepedia, which yesterday stated that the tower had burned, now reads:

"The Fire Tower was originally reported as destroyed during the forest fires which ravaged the Nantahala Forest in November, 2016 but it was later learned that it survived."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wesser_Bald

However, stay tuned; it has already been scientifically proven that the tower will soon be destroyed by either fire or flood. Termite reports are not available

Carl7
11-16-2016, 22:10
All the talk lately about fake news. This one gave me a scare. I'm glad the tower still stands. I had hoped to hike the section from the N.O.C south to Winding Stair Gap this November. I skipped this section in 1982 during a section hike south from Damascus and have had visions of being up on that fire tower for a long time. I can't wait to climb it when the trail opens back up. However, it appears I have paid for my yellow blazing sins!

Cookerhiker
11-16-2016, 22:21
Any pic from our hike during 2008 SoRuck?

Found them! The best photo of you is on the trail, not atop the tower.

And this is from the 2012 SoRuck:

Dogwood
11-16-2016, 23:14
...Here is some potential good news.

The tower survived the forest fire, contrary to earlier reports."

And, that bastion of scientific proof, Wikepedia, which yesterday stated that the tower had burned, now reads:

"The Fire Tower was originally reported as destroyed during the forest fires which ravaged the Nantahala Forest in November, 2016 but it was later learned that it survived."

However, stay tuned; it has already been scientifically proven that the tower will soon be destroyed by either fire or flood. Termite reports are not available

he he he. So you're back to believing media accounts. :D

The Ace
11-16-2016, 23:48

No, not really. I just figured that it would cause more stress if I typed, "If a tower burned down in a forest and no one was around to see it, did it really burn down?'

Dogwood
11-17-2016, 04:03
....:banana

stumpknocker
11-17-2016, 07:55
I really hope the reports that Wesser platform is still standing are correct. I have never walked by there without taking time out to enjoy the view over tops of the trees in that area...and have even slept up there a couple times.
I was surprised to think it had burnt since there is very little vegetation real close to the platform.

I personally see global warming every day when the sun rises and global cooling every evening when it sets.
My experience is that even meteorologists and climate scientists have a hard time seeing much farther beyond that and being right in their predictions.
There has been undeniable global cooling predictions and undeniable global warming predictions made in just my lifetime.
Those didn't work out, so the wording was adjusted to "climate change". No one can be wrong with an all encompassing term like that.
I can guarantee you that climate change happens every day....and I embrace it.

daddytwosticks
11-17-2016, 08:07
All the talk lately about fake news. This one gave me a scare. I'm glad the tower still stands. I had hoped to hike the section from the N.O.C south to Winding Stair Gap this November. I skipped this section in 1982 during a section hike south from Damascus and have had visions of being up on that fire tower for a long time. I can't wait to climb it when the trail opens back up. However, it appears I have paid for my yellow blazing sins!

This is such a great section to hike. Try it northbound from WSG to the NOC. Great place to end a hike: food, beer, and a shower. :)

saltysack
11-17-2016, 10:43
This is such a great section to hike. Try it northbound from WSG to the NOC. Great place to end a hike: food, beer, and a shower. :)

Great winter hike...did a few years back from Standing Indian campground to NOC....Siler bald is a great camp spot...

TNhiker
11-17-2016, 10:48

ouch...........

that hurts..........especially since im in the media......

and thats all i was trying to do-----confirm if the tower had burnt down or not....................

forgot that by asking that, i would open the can of climate change.......

(oh, and i wouldnt necessarily consider wikipedia media...........close but no cigar)

-Rush-
11-17-2016, 13:27
If they would just change it to "Climate Speculation" all would be fine.

Venchka
11-17-2016, 22:42
If they would just change it to "Climate Speculation" all would be fine.

I'm comfortable with the definition of climate that I learned in the Dark Ages.
By that definition, nobody alive today will be around to know if or when climate does change.
Wayne

burger
11-17-2016, 23:02
Yeah, this: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/18/us/intensified-by-climate-change-king-tides-change-ways-of-life-in-florida.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2 Fus

and this: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/energy-environment/wp/2016/11/17/the-north-pole-is-an-insane-36-degrees-warmer-than-normal-as-winter-descends/

are just speculation. Who knows?! Maybe all those people in Florida are hallucinating! Maybe the Arctic sea ice is just hiding under the water somewhere! Speculation!

OldGringo
11-17-2016, 23:03
Lalalalalalala.... lalalalalalala.... we can just ignore everyone who disagrees with our opinion.... lalalalalalala...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lone Wolf
11-17-2016, 23:09
it's just a tower. burnt or not

The Ace
11-18-2016, 10:26
it's just a tower. burnt or not

Just poking fun at those Massachusetts folks whose DNA is clearly missing a savanna happiness gene.

burger
11-18-2016, 10:33
Just poking fun at those Massachusetts folks whose DNA is clearly missing a savanna happiness gene.

1) I don't live in Massachusetts.

2) People who feel the need to insult others when proven wrong on scientific issues are clearly compensating for their own lack of intellectual prowess. Seek professional help.

Rain Man
11-18-2016, 13:09
I personally see global warming every day when the sun rises and global cooling every evening when it sets.

Ahhhh... more armchair expertise confounding weather and climate?

Alligator
11-18-2016, 13:13
This is a thread about the status of the tower. Time to keep it as such. Thanks.

Dogwood
11-18-2016, 14:00
For those truly interested in the status of the tower they might explore a real time or very recent satellite feed. It might be more effective in ascertaining current status without all the back and forth conjecture and speculation.

Gamera
11-18-2016, 15:39
Wesser Fire Tower is still there. Badger went up it Wednesday evening: https://www.facebook.com/honeybadgerhiking?pnref=story

ggreaves
11-18-2016, 15:48
You don't need to stand on a fire tower to know that Besser was indeed bald...

willys05tj
11-18-2016, 15:53
Awesome news! Glad we got an accurate confirmation!

Venchka
11-18-2016, 16:15
One more useless link to Facebook. Talk about antisocial.
Wayne

TNhiker
11-18-2016, 16:45
For those truly interested in the status of the tower they might explore a real time or very recent satellite feed. It might be more effective in ascertaining current status without all the back and forth conjecture and speculation.

Yeah....was hoping someone who lived or was there would have more of an answer.....

TNhiker
11-18-2016, 16:47
Wesser Fire Tower is still there. Badger went up it Wednesday evening: https://www.facebook.com/honeybadgerhiking?pnref=story

Yeah.....this is where I got the info that it was still standing...

figured if he went up it the other night---it had to still be there...

stumpknocker
11-18-2016, 17:06
Found this picture I took from Wesser platform 10 or 15 years ago.

http://i.imgur.com/guzXhgJ.jpg

One of my favorite spots on the southern AT.

grizzlyadam
11-18-2016, 20:17
My wife and I had our first date at Wesser Bald just over four years ago. Glad to hear the tower is still standing!

Attila
11-18-2016, 22:54
Pictures from 2010, Platform built on metal frame.

JumpMaster Blaster
11-19-2016, 22:38
I also read on another site that it had burnt down. There goes my plan for watching the eclipse next year.

I hope they rebuild it but I am not holding my breath.

It seems like we're good. See you there next year my friend.