PDA

View Full Version : Similar to Crocs but 1/2 the price

HarleyHogPit
01-15-2006, 19:55
Just to let everyone in on a little deal. I found a pair of camp shoes today at Payless for $14.99. The shoes are Airwalk brand. Very, very lightweight. You may want to check it out.

Kerosene
01-15-2006, 21:30
"Very, very lightweight" means doesn't mean very much. Could you go to the trouble of weighing and reporting the size? Thanks!

MisterSweetie
01-16-2006, 00:14
I have these Airwalks from Payless, and paid the same price. I'll agree that they're very lightweight, and I'll weigh them to back that up on Tuesday. Much less than Crocs by probably 1/4 or more. But I'll weigh them on very accurate scales asap.

And they're comfortable, too. I may go back to Payless and see if I can find some that aren't blaze orange like the ones I got before (last ones my size that weren't pink).

:)

Tinker
01-16-2006, 00:17
It's difficult to leave those blaze orange shoes behind when leaving camp. You'd have to be blind or totally hung over.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-16-2006, 07:08
The local Wal-Mart has some croc knock-offs for $6.88 US in neon green and canary yellow. I only saw women's sizes.

minnesotasmith
01-16-2006, 07:47
The straps came off in nothing flat. It's not just this pair; I had one pair before them, and it did the same thing. If a knockoff had stronger strap-to-shoe connections, I'd choose it over the originals without even looking at the price.

BTW, I saw Croc knockoffs in a local discount shoe store (where I was buying a pair of NB 808s) for about 17.00 just a week ago.

RockyTrail
01-16-2006, 14:43
BTW, I saw Croc knockoffs in a local discount shoe store (where I was buying a pair of NB 808s) for about 17.00 just a week ago.

That's interesting... in 2003 Waldies (the predecessor to Crocs) only cost $17 postpaid just before the Crocs fad began. Then when Crocs came out, they went to $40 overnight. Go figure...

MisterSweetie
01-18-2006, 15:08
The weight of size 10M/12W is 279.3 grams for the pair for the Airwalk brand that Payless sells for about $15.

The right is 141.14g and the left is 138.1g.

I don't have any Crocs to compare that weight to, so you figure out if it's lighter or not. Having held both in my hand, though, I'm confident that these weight 2/3 as much or less. Maybe my coworker will be wearing her Crocs today... I'll have to check. :)

I love these shoes, too.. the first time I wore them my feet kicked out a little farther than usual because they are so light. Honestly, it's like they're lighter than being barefoot.

Kerosene
01-18-2006, 15:29
Thanks for the info, MisterSweetie.

For those of us who are metric-challenged, 279.3 grams is equivalent to 9.852 ounces (see: http://www.convert-me.com/en/convert/weight).

MisterSweetie
01-18-2006, 16:01
Thanks for the info, MisterSweetie.

For those of us who are metric-challenged, 279.3 grams is equivalent to 9.852 ounces (see: http://www.convert-me.com/en/convert/weight).

or 4.87133415 oz if you want to carry only the left shoe. :) ;)

Smile
01-18-2006, 16:44
I have a pair of Crocs @ 10.8 ounces for the pair.

Word of caution on the cheaper kind...they are definately cheaper material, and tend to be stinkier after being worn. I've noticed that they wear substantially faster than whatever they make crocs out of. I like the strap on there as well...maybe an extra ounce or two...but I've found them helpful for steep downhills for water at the end of the day - less chance for a twisted ankle. And they are sweet to kneel on as well.

Copying is the highest form of flattery.....so I'll bet on the crocs. Got mine for 29.99 - this was the standard price after I shopped at several stores.

walkin' wally
01-18-2006, 17:57
Are these suitable for fording streams with a sustantial current or will they be torn off one's feet? I mean when lifting one's feet over the rocks etc. Any experiences out there?

Thanks

totempole99
01-18-2006, 18:08
FWIW, my M12-13 Crocs weigh 12.87 oz.

MisterSweetie
01-18-2006, 18:44
Are these suitable for fording streams with a sustantial current or will they be torn off one's feet? I mean when lifting one's feet over the rocks etc. Any experiences out there?

ThanksThese have a heel strap, so I'd wear them comfortably doing whatever I wanted to. I would not be worried about them slipping off. The heel strap is "hinged" and so I usually don't wear them with the strap, but could if I needed to.

At half the price and a couple of ounces less, I can deal with the material being different from Crocs. If it is in fact less quality, I'll just use these up and buy a new pair later.

Clark Fork
01-18-2006, 19:30
I have rethought the Croc issue. I used mine for fording streams only and not so much as a camp shoe. I just ordered these and will report in on weight when they arrive. I looked at them at the local REI and they seem lighter than Crocs.

BTW Crocs have several models which accounts for some of the weight differences other posters are listing.

Here is the site with a sale price:

Teva Water Shoe: http://www.sahalie.com/jump.jsp?itemID=2752&itemType=PRODUCT&path=1%2C2%2C21%2C496%2C502&iProductID=2752

Regards,

Clark Fork in Western Montana

neo
01-18-2006, 19:37
crocs and waldies suck:cool: neo

mattydt20
01-18-2006, 20:03
The Waldies don't have a heel strap and I have no problem walking in them.

dizzyT
01-18-2006, 20:11
I like my crocs.....wouldn't trade them for anything else.

Blissful
01-18-2006, 23:01
I got my fake Crocs at Payless in the fall at their after-summer clearance for 4 bucks. They are neon pink, yeah! We'll see how they hold up.

For now I'll spend money on what I really need - like a better lightweight synthetic sleeping bag. :)

HarleyHogPit
01-19-2006, 17:07
The weight of size 10M/12W is 279.3 grams for the pair for the Airwalk brand that Payless sells for about $15.

The right is 141.14g and the left is 138.1g.

I don't have any Crocs to compare that weight to, so you figure out if it's lighter or not. Having held both in my hand, though, I'm confident that these weight 2/3 as much or less. Maybe my coworker will be wearing her Crocs today... I'll have to check. :)

Thanks for weighing the shoes. After wearing my heavy boots all day I'm sure any shoe would feel like air. Can't wait to enjoy them at the end of a tough day.

The Solemates
01-19-2006, 17:50
Im pretty sure my waldies (size XXL) weighed 10.0 ounces new, 4 years ago. But now that I have nearly worn the soles through, they are lighter at around 8.5-9 ounces. i dont like the heel strap or the price of the new ones. i think mine were $16.99 when i bought them in 2002, when they first came out.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
03-08-2006, 23:31
I found a pair of croc-like shoes at PayLess this morning that are made like sneakers. I'm thinking these would be much better for crossing water and more comfortable camp shoes. Anyone tried them?

Alligator
03-08-2006, 23:50
Walmarts NOBO brand of Croc copies had multiple colors besides those listed above. I will double check for men's. My wife's, size 7, weighed in at 6.25 oz. Tan.

mbroadhe
03-09-2006, 00:11
Here's my camp footwear of choice.... at 2 for $20, I can't complain...
http://allheart.com/comfortclogs1.html

mbroadhe
03-09-2006, 00:12
Here's my camp footwear of choice.... at 2 for $20, I can't complain...
http://allheart.com/comfortclogs1.html
Oh, if you decide on getting these, go a size bigger than your usual shoe size. They run a bit small.

fivefour
03-10-2006, 09:48
Walmarts NOBO brand of Croc copies had multiple colors besides those listed above. I will double check for men's. My wife's, size 7, weighed in at 6.25 oz. Tan.

i bought a pair of the NOBO (northern boundry) brand from wallie mart and used them on my last hike. when sitting indian style the strap connection was pressing into the side of my foot and was quite uncomfortable. i have never worn crocs, do they do this as well ?

dje97001
03-10-2006, 10:01
My crocs are one of my favorite pieces of gear. :banana
I have never worn more comfortable shoes or sandals.

Alligator
03-10-2006, 10:08
i bought a pair of the NOBO (northern boundry) brand from wallie mart and used them on my last hike. when sitting indian style the strap connection was pressing into the side of my foot and was quite uncomfortable. i have never worn crocs, do they do this as well ?
I don't know, I personally have Waldies. At least I thought they were Waldies but I bought them from allheart.com, listed above. But it was my understanding that Crocs bought out Waldies, yet the same company I bought mine from is still selling what look like Waldies:confused: . I'll have to pull them out later and check on this.

jbchiker
03-10-2006, 10:20
I have three pairs of Crocs/Waldies (beige, black and blue - women's medium size.) The blue one without the strap weighs in at 4.4 oz for one shoe (8.8 total for two.) The other ones weigh in at 5 oz for one shoe (10 oz for two.) And the Waldies without the strap are the original which I got in Damascus upteen years ago. The others say Croc on the little button on he strap, but say 'Rebound' on the sole -
made in Canada!:banana
jbchiker

Hana_Hanger
03-18-2006, 01:28
I love my Crocs also...only my Purple pair are 14 ozs and say Boulder Colorado
my newest ones in Blue and Teal Green say Made in China and only weigh 10 oz...hummmmm still have the Croc logo on them.
Either way I did a 4 mile short hike in them...they were light and comfortable.
My rubba' sleepahs rule da kine :)

uncas
03-18-2006, 13:21
Hello,

Have sold the Sahalies in the past. They are much heavier than Crocs. Maybe more so than regular Tevas.

Thank,s

neo
03-18-2006, 13:32
i saw imitation crocs for 8.00 buck at walmart:cool: neo

jasonklass
03-21-2006, 23:26

I have Crocs and they do the same thing. But to me it's a small sacrifice as I love so many others thing about my Crocs.

jasonklass
03-21-2006, 23:31

Thanks

My Crocs have the heel straps and I've wron them all over the world in both streams and the ocean. The straps kept them from ever coming off my feet. I will say though that their stream-fording abilities really depend on the substrate of the stream you're crossing. They work fine on sandy or gravel bottoms, but are bad for rocky stream beds (especially if they're covered in algae!). A thin layer of felt would easily cure this if that's the type of substrate you're facing.

Tinker
03-21-2006, 23:47
crocs and waldies suck:cool: neo

Typical Neo response.

I've never used Crocks or Waldies, myself. A spare pair of dry insoles is all one needs. If one insists on carrying extra weight, a pair of worn out running shoes (if you're a runner), or cheap Wal-Mart "runners" will stay on better in stream crossings and can actually be hiked in on most terrain if you develop blisters.

I may be old fashioned, but I'm not a slave to fashion.

joel137
03-22-2006, 00:04
My pair of crocs are 330 grams total (11.6 oz)

Earl Grey
10-04-2006, 09:01
I have a pair of flip flops that I use. Would upgrading to crocs be better for stream crossings?

stumpy
10-04-2006, 09:23
I use an old pair of wool socks for camp shoes! I would hike barefoot if me feet could take the extra weight with no support.

jlb2012
10-04-2006, 09:25
I like them for stream crossings - much reduced chance of stubbed toes / ripped toenails - also stay on feet easier with strap on heal - that said I still rarely pack them unless I know for sure that there will be a lot of hiking in water