PDA

View Full Version : Pack change

skinnbones
11-15-2016, 01:02
Not to please with my 65 L Gregory pack (weight issue only). I'm thinking of buying a 48 L Osprey, which is 2 1/2 pounds lighter than my current pack. Any thoughts on my new plan?

Feral Bill
11-15-2016, 02:05
If the pack fits...

jjozgrunt
11-15-2016, 02:27
You're dropping 17 liters of space, so the big question is does all your gear fit? If so then great.

tarditi
11-15-2016, 08:31
is it a case of one or the other? I have a few packs based on my needs, load plan, etc.

ScareBear
11-15-2016, 09:40
That's a huge drop in pack space. You can lash things to the outside, I suppose. Make certain the pack, fully loaded, fits you. Bring ALL your interior gear in your pack liner/dry bag to the store(REI) and try it on for 1/2 hour or so while shopping. Don't forget at least 2L of water(that's another 5 pounds and 500cui). If weight is the big issue, you really aren't saving all that much compared to going with a true ultralight pack, like a Zpack Arc. Your Osprey weighs 40 ounces. The 55L Zpack ArcBlast weighs 21 ounces....

colorado_rob
11-15-2016, 09:46
50 liters (48 is close enough) seems to be a magic number for long distance hiking pack volume, for late-spring to early autumn for anyone willing to make an effort to trim down their kit, so yeah, sounds like a plan, if your current kit doesn't quite fit, this will give you some incentive!

Many times it simply comes down to your sleeping bag volume, usually the single bulkiest piece of gear; if you have a huge 15 degree synthetic bag, fagedaboudid. If you have a 30 degree decent quality (700+) down bag, 48 liters should be plenty for a reasonable kit for 2.5-season long distance hiking.

Also agree with Scarebear on looking at true UL packs; I used to carry Osprey packs, but have switched to a ULA OHM 2.0 (about 50 liters).

Time Zone
11-15-2016, 10:08
If it's the Osprey Exos 48, it comes in 3 sizes, which hold 45, 48, and 51 liters respectively.

Reviews seem mixed. Outdoorgearlab really liked it ("best buy") but I noticed it has many detractors on BPL forums, mostly for carry comfort:

https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/tried-an-exos-48-hated-it-what-next/

Also consider durability of the exterior mesh (which covers a fair bit of the surface). It appears to have no tie loops on top, but there are some lashing straps on the bottom.

From what I can gather, heavier packs aren't heavy just because they're overbuilt. Part of the extra weight is for a design that can carry heavier loads more comfortably. So, if you can keep your pack weight at or below the middle of the range for your pack (this one is 20-40 lbs, so consider 30 lbs) you will probably be happier with the Osprey. If you regularly push 40 lbs, maybe not.

One thing this Osprey is reputed to be particularly good for is keeping good airflow across your back. That would probably be most helpful in summertime, when a lighter pack weight is easier to achieve anyway.

admirald7s
11-15-2016, 21:17

One thing this Osprey is reputed to be particularly good for is keeping good airflow across your back. That would probably be most helpful in summertime, when a lighter pack weight is easier to achieve anyway.

I have the Exos 58, and I absolutely love the airflow over my back! I haven't found a single pack that works half so well.

I have noted that the Exos seemed to either fit great or not at all...haven't found many people that thought it was just okay. Best way is for OP to try it on and see for himself. Note that the 58 is only good to around 30 pounds. Like all backpacks, it can carry more than it's rated for, but it won't ride as comfortably and it'll degrade much faster than if it's treated right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nsherry61
11-15-2016, 21:30
I love my Exos 48. It is more than enough room for all my gear all year round. Actually, I have a smaller lighter bag I often carry in summer.
As for poor reviews, many of them are from an earlier version of the Exos that was updated about 3 years ago addressing most of the previously noted problems. It doesn't carry more than 30-35 lbs very nicely. It carries less then 30 lbs like a dream - at least for me.

Time Zone
11-16-2016, 09:36
I have the Exos 58, and I absolutely love the airflow over my back! I haven't found a single pack that works half so well.

How about external frame packs? Aren't they the gold standard for airflow across the back? Granted, they have their downsides, but I would think they'd do at least as well as an Exos, probably better, in that one area.

nsherry61
11-16-2016, 09:51
How about external frame packs? Aren't they the gold standard for airflow across the back? Granted, they have their downsides, but I would think they'd do at least as well as an Exos, probably better, in that one area.
That depends on the material used for the back strapping on the external frame. Cloth and foam back-strapping would be warmer. Mesh would likely have more air flow.

FWIW the Gregory Z-series packs are held completely off your mid-back, so they have even better airflow yet, except at the actual contact points at your hips and shoulders.

Hikingjim
11-16-2016, 09:55
If you like the fit but 48 is a little small for what you're carrying, the 58 only weighs 2 oz more. That's assuming you're talking about the exos

3_dogs
11-16-2016, 13:56
Try it on for fit. When I bought my Osprey Atmos a few years ago I also tried a Gregory. Back then the fits were very different. The Osprey fit perfect and the Gregory did not fit at all.