PDA

View Full Version : Cash on the trail

Drapac
11-15-2016, 08:19
Make this isn't the best way to go about asking, and if you want to respond via pm that's fine.

The question is, how much cash do you/did you generally have on hand on your thru hike?

I'm sure there are times when a trail town doesn't have an atm or maybe is out of service.

I was thinking about keeping around $100 or so (broken into smaller bills), with maybe a third of that being tucked away as a last ditch emergency reserve.

Don H
11-15-2016, 08:58
I usually had about $100 on me. I saved bank/ATM fees by getting cash back on purchases at Walmart, Dollar Store, etc. I also used a credit card as much as possible but there are times when the ATM is out of money, there's no stores offering cash back on purchases and there's no banks nearby or open. It seemed like Maine was the hardest place to get cash.

garlic08
11-15-2016, 09:39
$100 is plenty, I agree. There are a few places that don't take plastic. Once I was able to get a great deal on a very nice motel room in New England when the credit card machine was down from a lightning strike and I had $50 cash. Another town had lost power from a nearby tornado (whole other story) and the grocery store was practically giving away perishables to those with a little cash. As noted, it's easy to replenish cash supplies with cash back from a debit card. No ATM fees that way.

Starchild
11-15-2016, 10:03
If you plan to use mostly credit/debit cards and cash only when that does not work, The entire thru cost me in cash about $300, I started with $200 and perhaps went down to $50 and withdrew another $200 from some ATM. If you plan to use mostly cash then you would need more. Also I did make frequent town stops, if you limited town activities and opportunistic stops (food stand at a trail crossing), you should be able to do with much less, even $0, but where is the fun of walking by a ice cream stand in 90F heat without stopping.

Engine
11-15-2016, 12:08
Following a recent vacation, last week we were hit with a fraudulent charge to Airbnb for nearly $3,000. I can only assume an unscrupulous waiter or waitress from one of our many restaurant experiences tried to help themselves on our dime. The massive headaches this has caused have me thinking about how we'll handle finances this spring on our nobo hike.

I learned 2 lessons the hard way...other than at ATMs, avoid using the debit card as it provides direct access to our money. A credit card is by far the better choice since your account isn't directly accessed.

In the past, we've always paid for everything with our debit card, but moving forward it will either be cash or credit.

Odd Man Out
11-15-2016, 12:15
...I learned 2 lessons the hard way...other than at ATMs, avoid using the debit card as it provides direct access to our money. A credit card is by far the better choice since your account isn't directly accessed.

In the past, we've always paid for everything with our debit card, but moving forward it will either be cash or credit.

I too always use credit cards over debit for this reason. Just call in to report fraudulent charges. They take care of it and you don't have to pay. I still have an ATM card that does not have a credit card logo for cash withdraws from ATMs. If lost it is useless without a PIN, but I'm afraid they are not issuing those anymore. I will have to take good care of it.

BillyGr
11-15-2016, 16:40
Following a recent vacation, last week we were hit with a fraudulent charge to Airbnb for nearly $3,000. I can only assume an unscrupulous waiter or waitress from one of our many restaurant experiences tried to help themselves on our dime. The massive headaches this has caused have me thinking about how we'll handle finances this spring on our nobo hike.

I learned 2 lessons the hard way...other than at ATMs, avoid using the debit card as it provides direct access to our money. A credit card is by far the better choice since your account isn't directly accessed.

Depending on your particular setup, a third option is setting up an "extra" account where you only put in a small amount of money at a time (say what you need for a couple stops or weeks). While you could still have someone trying to take from it, it would be harder if there is less funds in there.

This would probably work best if there was someone who would be at home to move money from your "regular" account to this extra one, although a bank might be able to set up some sort of automatic transfer system (like they do with one of those Christmas club accounts - so much every x weeks or whatever)?

trailmercury
11-15-2016, 16:56

Sorry that happened to you!

We use our credit cards whenever possible at home and on the trail. Bills, groceries, fuel, etc. all on the "plastic". Just pay off your balance COMPLETELY every month, of course. CC rewards programs really pile up points when you "charge everything"....(right now my wife and I can fly to Hawaii or Europe round trip for free, simply because we used our credit cards to pay for stuff instead of debit/check/cash!)
You also build very good credit, by charging large amounts each month and paying the balance TO ZERO. You are also protected from fraud by the plastic. My debit visa card is my least touched piece of plastic in my wallet.

On the AT I'll be paying for as much as I can with my CC, like I already do at home. Probably carry around 50-100 cash at any given moment while on the AT for my Thru.

George
11-15-2016, 17:26
Depending on your particular setup, a third option is setting up an "extra" account where you only put in a small amount of money at a time (say what you need for a couple stops or weeks). While you could still have someone trying to take from it, it would be harder if there is less funds in there.

This would probably work best if there was someone who would be at home to move money from your "regular" account to this extra one, although a bank might be able to set up some sort of automatic transfer system (like they do with one of those Christmas club accounts - so much every x weeks or whatever)?

phone transfer works fine - I used to do this when savings paid about 4 %

atraildreamer
11-15-2016, 18:03

Other than using the card at an ATM, you should have had theft protection if the card has the Visa logo.

http://www.daveramsey.com/askdave/debt/debit_card_security

"QUESTION: Marsha wants to know if the debit card has the same protection as a credit card if it is stolen. Dave has good news for her.

ANSWER: Absolutely. Directly from Visa’s website: You have protection for all transactions processed through the Visa system. The zero liability policy covers all credit and debit card transactions processed over the Visa network. If the card is used through an ATM system, it won’t be covered. It’s been this way since April 2000."

soumodeler
11-15-2016, 18:19
On my thru attempt I carried $100 in cash and I don't think I touched it for purchases by the time I got off in the smokies. I don't remember going anywhere that didn't take plastic.

I use my credit card for everything I can and pay it off each month. Free money or points.

Dogwood
11-15-2016, 18:41
Make this isn't the best way to go about asking, and if you want to respond via pm that's fine.

The question is, how much cash do you/did you generally have on hand on your thru hike?

I'm sure there are times when a trail town doesn't have an atm or maybe is out of service.

I was thinking about keeping around $100 or so (broken into smaller bills), with maybe a third of that being tucked away as a last ditch emergency reserve.

Most often $50 or less. Maybe, because that's all I have for hikes period.:D

A lot can factor into answering your question, many expect sound bite rapid fire answers, but here's what I can offer:

I have much less need for on high trail expenditures regardless of payment type because I avoid paying for the bulk of the largest categories of expenditures once on trail i.e.; food, hygiene/personal care products, batteries, off trail housing, and gear. I also don't hike having an absolute requirement for obtaining drugs, illicit or otherwise, including alcohol on trail although I sure know about dispensaries and "safety meetings." No different on trail than off trail, drug use, legal or otherwise, seemingly inexpensive substances or the higher prices goods, can obviously destroy a hiking budget perhaps as fast as any category of on trail expenditure. These financial costs are almost entirely accounted for pre hike.

1) a. 80% of food costs have been spent pre hike as I tend to send out quite a few resupply boxes from an angel at home
b. Estimating, 80% of hygiene and personal care products are included in resupply boxes. (Dr Bronners(acts as body wash, shampoo, toothpaste, laundry detergent, shaving cream, acne cleanser, gear wash, has anti fungal/anti bacterial/bug repelling properties etc), razors(yes, I shave about every 10 days on trail), Band Aids, blister prevention items, anti chafing balms, lib balms, nailvlippers, nail files, body exfoliator scrubs, sun screens, moisturizers, bug repellants, etc are accounted for pre hike. Sounds like a lot but consider many of those aims/items are accomplished in one product or a limited number of a multiple use product like the Dr Bronners. And, every resupply box does not contain all this items.
c. No need to buy batteries on trail. Only use Ever Ready AAA Lithium batteries in all but my camera. The batteries are bought in 200 or up to 500 count cost saving economies and included in resupply boxes.
d. Spend extremely limited amount of time paying for under a roof privileges/conveniences (hotel, etc), even in winter or rainy season hikes. I spent 5 nights total on a 4.5 month PCT thru-hike under a roof I had to pay for(donations at a hostel twice, hostel, 2 hotel room stays on Portland and San Diego side trips which is included). On a nearly 7 month 3700 mile CDT SOBO thru I spent a total of three paying nights under a roof. On a recent Oregon Coastal Tr thru-hike and another 8 wks in the Redwood NPs and hiking the Oregon section of the Pct and several river trails I spent zero paying nights under a roof.
e. I rarely need to buy many gear or kit pieces on trail. This hasn't always been the case. I have worked up to dialing in and dialing down my kits through experience. Even being an ULer of significant experience I opt for gear that takes into consideration durability which plays into lowering on trail gear purchases. My trail shoe choices are considered deeply and preferably entirely paid for pre hike. Factoring into gear life expectancies that influence on trail gear costs are: I regularly clean and maintain gear on trail, don't abuse gear, know how to match gear choices to the deeply considered anticipated hiking scenarios I expect. I don't hike having to make a outdoor gear fashion or kit statement either based on gear ego. I don't buy into the absolute need for always chasing the most currently in fashion UL/SUL expensive gear purchases or expensive conventional gear purchases with bells and whistles. I anticipate kit changes at various stages of a hike including those gear items I know I will need or want in resupply boxes or prepare for mailing them rather than locating and buying these items during the hike. I anticipate with some accuracy when I will need to replace socks, fuel, a shirt, a jacket, vest, bug repellent, etc pre hike and already make arrangements for these being sent to my location pre hike.

I find it so much easier to budget for on trail expenditures, including how much cash I need on trail, because the common categories of high expenditures have been largely accounted for pre hike off trail; this has taken commitment and practice. I have evolved to my current budgeting strategies and it continues to be developed. It includes rehabituating from a common cultural lifestyle desire of comfort and convenience at financial cost by desiring a night in a hotel bed, carpeted flooring, TV, constant electronic "connectivity", eating at restaurants, gorging on fast food, always addressing personal appearance and hygiene by requiring a hotel, hostel, or B&B bathroom, having a narrow range of environmental comfort, etc. to a less comfort, convenience, and consumption oriented lifestyle.

Drapac
11-15-2016, 19:40
Thanks for all the replies. Luckily, my bank refunds ATM fees. I remember the old cash back trick though.

Sounds like 100 or so should do ithe. And by the replies, looks like most places along the way will take plastic

Christoph
11-16-2016, 17:26
I kept around 100 split up into smaller bills. Found that was too much for the most part as you can swing into a town and there's opportunities to get cash almost everywhere.

CarlZ993
11-16-2016, 22:29
I started out w/ about $200 in my neck wallet w/ credit card (CC), debit card (DC), ID, & Medical Card. Hidden in my pack, I had another CC, DC, ID (Passport ID Card), & about $50. If something happened to my main set-up, I'd have a separate back-up. As a general rule, I tried to use my CC for as many purchases as possible. The CC bills were set up on auto-pay for the full amount. When my cash levels dropped to $50 or so, I'd take ~$200 out of an ATM or make a DC purchase with some cash back.

I never needed the second set of cards or money. I slept better knowing that I had them 'just in case.'

Engine
11-17-2016, 07:21
Other than using the card at an ATM, you should have had theft protection if the card has the Visa logo...

I did, but the fact that is was a debit card means it tied up funds in my account for over a week while it was straightened out. That was the point of my message.

StubbleJumper
11-17-2016, 19:48
I'm a little different. I tend to carry a bit more cash. I often begin a trail with $500, under the full understanding that I could end up losing it or having it stolen (that would be annoying, but not catastrophic as $500 is a replaceable amount for me). I like to have a bit more cash because a few businesses don't take cards, I like to offer a few bucks to people who pick me up when hitching, shuttles are often cash businesses, and I like to give cash at hostels (understanding that some of them don't report their cash sales to the IRS). When I start with $500, it tends to last several weeks. It's probably excessive, but I just feel more comfortable to have cold hard cash with me that I know will be accepted *everywhere* without exception.

Slow Trek
11-27-2016, 01:22
I guess I am way different. I took 3500 in cash,simply because it is accepted always,and it is pretty tough to pay a shuttle guy with a card. We used a credit card at some hotels and resupply stores,and to replace a tent,and the plane tickets home. I suppose I could have been robbed,but I imagine I could have been killed by a falling tree as well. All depends on what you are comfortable with,I would guess.

StubbleJumper
11-27-2016, 18:09
I guess I am way different. I took 3500 in cash,simply because it is accepted always,and it is pretty tough to pay a shuttle guy with a card. We used a credit card at some hotels and resupply stores,and to replace a tent,and the plane tickets home. I suppose I could have been robbed,but I imagine I could have been killed by a falling tree as well. All depends on what you are comfortable with,I would guess.

What would you have done if your money were stolen after, let's say, one week? Did you have an additional $3,500 available to replace your original nut if it were stolen?

I have to say that a loss of $3,000 or $3,500 would cause me some emotional hardship, but a loss of <$500 would just be annoying (like when your car breaks down and the repair costs $500). That's why I like to carry a healthy amount of cash to ensure that I don't run out, but I keep it small enough that (for me) it's relatively easily replaceable if it's lost/stolen.

Slow Trek
11-29-2016, 01:17
Zipped in my pocket at all times,and yes I could have replaced it,but sure would have hated it.As I said,it is all depends on what you are comfortable with. in my line of work,cash is quite common(no,I am not a drug dealer),so I am used to dealing in cash. Robbery is always a risk,I suppose,but life is full of risk.

Storm
11-29-2016, 11:45
Always keep a few quarters in cash, never know when a pop machine might happen by that doesn't except bills. Here come the flames from the ultra lighters.

Ktaadn
11-29-2016, 11:57
Always keep a few quarters in cash, never know when a pop machine might happen by that doesn't except bills. Here come the flames from the ultra lighters.

I can't tell you how many times I've come across a coke machine and was crushed to find out that it was turned off. Can someone invent a vending machine that won't freeze in the winter???

Drapac
12-05-2016, 13:00
Good idea!