PDA

View Full Version : Any overnight parking in Dalton, MA aside from Gulf Street

Just Tom
11-15-2016, 15:36
Everyone's favorite parking site, http://appalachiantrail.rohland.org/, states that overnight parking on the Grange Hall Rd spot is not suggested. I'm not eager for a lot of read walking to park on Gulf Street. Any other options for overnight parking in Dalton, MA close to where the AT comes out on West Housatonic Street?

BillyGr
11-15-2016, 16:31
I assume you are heading South from Dalton (given the Grange Hall Rd info you posted)?

I believe (at least) once we parked in a small lot on the street that the AT follows after coming out of the woods and crossing the tracks (I think it's Depot Street) between Housatonic & Route 8. Not sure if that is supposed to be a public lot or not (was with someone and following them) but no problems with us being there.
We also parked at the church at the corner of 8&9 (in an out of the way part of the lot) and again had no issues.

One thing to note, though - if you don't find another spot and did have to park at the "other side" of town (Gulf Road), the AT itself takes a longer route through town.
You can (from where that parking is) follow the AT to the first intersection. Turn right, go until you reach Route 8/9, turn right, cross (where possible) and Housatonic is the next left turn. Follow that until you reach the AT again, making a right to cross the tracks and head South.

Just Tom
11-15-2016, 17:31
Yes, heading south.

So, I was completely thrown off by your route description. Turns out Google maps does not match your description! Google maps has the AT intersecting Housatonic street farther west, near the actual river and not across from Depot at all. Check out the comparisons (attached).

Just Tom
11-15-2016, 17:39
I zoomed in to street level, and aside from ample street parking in front of those businesses just before Depot ends at Main, I don't see any parking lost not immediately next to a business (like the AC Delco). Did I miss it?

BillyGr
11-16-2016, 15:42
Yes - map #2 (the one with the AT in red) is the correct line (unless they have changed the routing recently, but I doubt that is the case).

If you followed that map down Depot from Housatonic to where it meets Rt. 8 (which I assume is Main also - the map I have only shows the Route #) the lot would be on your right, not too far from Main (if I remember correctly there are a couple businesses/buildings close together on the right corner as you are on Depot facing Rt. 8 and the lot is next to those, "behind" the buildings if one were facing in from Rt. 8).

Again, I can't say it's supposed to be public parking as I was with others and following their lead (at this point I don't even remember whose vehicle(s) we left there. Perhaps it was for some of the businesses and they allowed it being we were hiking on a weekend where it might be less used? Or perhaps it is open - not sure if those buildings may have living spaces above and that is where residents would park, with more space than they need?

Just Tom
11-16-2016, 16:22
Yes - map #2 (the one with the AT in red) is the correct line (unless they have changed the routing recently, but I doubt that is the case).

If you followed that map down Depot from Housatonic to where it meets Rt. 8 (which I assume is Main also - the map I have only shows the Route #) the lot would be on your right, not too far from Main (if I remember correctly there are a couple businesses/buildings close together on the right corner as you are on Depot facing Rt. 8 and the lot is next to those, "behind" the buildings if one were facing in from Rt. 8).

Again, I can't say it's supposed to be public parking as I was with others and following their lead (at this point I don't even remember whose vehicle(s) we left there. Perhaps it was for some of the businesses and they allowed it being we were hiking on a weekend where it might be less used? Or perhaps it is open - not sure if those buildings may have living spaces above and that is where residents would park, with more space than they need?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rain Man
11-18-2016, 13:35
Email sent.

Just Tom
11-18-2016, 18:25
Thanks! Much appreciated.