PDA

View Full Version : My failed trip. (Very Long)

Mikerfixit
11-16-2016, 12:01
I use to backpack a lot when I was in the BSA and loved hiking along the Appalachian Trail on our once a year trip every March. Towards the end of my time with the BSA I had discovered that it was easier to sleep in a hammock covered by a tarp if needed as I had more space to move around and combination was lighter than the canvas tents our troop used, not to mention easier to setup and take down.

This past spring I was reminiscing about my plans for a through hike of the trail and decided that I could eventually have time to do the hike after I retired but in the meantime I had to get back into backpacking. So with my wife’s permission I began researching and replacing all the gear that I had gotten rid of over the past thirty some years.

I figured six months was enough time to prepare and invited some of my co-workers to join me. I laid down the section I wanted to tackle deciding to start at Washington Monument State Park and ending in Harpers Ferry. I remembered my Troop stopping at the tower on Lambs Knoll for lunch and camping for the night at Gathland State Park. Later on I thought that maybe if I wasn’t feeling to bad I could continue to the Ed Garvey Shelter and then only have a six mile hike into the Harpers Ferry the following morning. I if a scrawny eleven year old carrying a fifty pound backpack could do that then so could an out of shape late forty something carrying a thirty pound pack.

I had enlisted the help of my sister to provide transport to and from the trail with my parents as backup should she not be able to help. By the time the date for the trip came by all of my coworkers had bailed out on me and my trip had turned into a solo trip which worried my family despite my attempts to reassure them.

The day of the trip I started out early in the morning heading to meet my sister. The weather reports called for light rain and drizzle until 10:00am with temperatures in the mid to upper sixties and the cloudy for the rest of the day. Not ideal but I had my synthetic clothes I had scrounged from what I had and from the Goodwill Store so they would dry quickly enough once the rain stopped or I could throw on my rain poncho if I thought I might get too cold at the start of the trip.

On the way out of the Baltimore area someone wrecked their car causing the beltway to be closed. After a twenty minute detour I was back on route and arrived at my sisters within a reasonable time. We loaded up into her car and headed off to Washington Monument State Park. Along the way there the GPS dropped its signal and wouldn’t reconnect, too many clouds I guess, but I had read ahead far enough that I could remember most of the directions and after some crazy driving by my sister we arrived.

I reassured my sister that I could always stab someone with my trekking pole should I get attacked and I that I promised I would send her and my wife text messages and call when I could at various points along the trail. I finally was able to start at about 8:50am.

Within thirty seconds I lost the trail at a road crossing because I couldn’t see the white blaze due to the overcast sky and light rain that was coming down but a few hundred feet of backtracking put me back on course. I continued on and after another road crossing noticed a dead animal laying across the trail. Even if I had taken it as a bad omen my sister had already left the parking area and I was on my own.
Twenty minutes later the light rain changed into a heavy downpour and trail turned into a small stream. Having already gotten wet by the earlier ran I continued on as is keeping what I thought was a good pace. A short time later the rain lightened up and I entered a clearing near a road crossing with a church. I believe this area was called Turners Gap but at the time I didn’t know. I only had a vague memory of this portion of the trail from thirty some years ago. I took a short break and sipped some water while standing as I didn’t want to sit in the wet from the rain.

I continued on passing the Dalgren Backing area continuing to take small sips of water as needed and marveled at how much the trail had changed. I had no memories of a bath house so close to the trail nor the camping area with bear poles. The backpackers seemed to be still asleep in their tents or at least were waiting for the rain to stop. It was about 9:30 at this time and I knew I was making good time as I remember this area being about 3 miles from where I started.

The next road crossing brought me to the bottom of Lambs Knoll. I remembered this section better as my scout troop would often stop at the watch tower at the top for lunch. The paved service road I remembered as being a dirt and gravel road that would lead up the mountain to the run down looking tower. I found the trail again and continued into the woods as the grade started to get steeper.

I soon passed the sign for Rocky Run shelter at about 10:30 am and debated taking the blue trail to check out the shelter but decided against it as I didn’t want to disturb anyone that might be getting ready to head out. I also began to wonder if I would reach the top of Lambs Knoll way before I had planned on stopping for lunch.

The rain continued as I followed the trail as the grade grew steeper turning into a rocky flight of stairs with large puddles of water trapped behind the logs put down to help with the erosion. I was making heavy use of the trekking poles at this point and eventually got to the point where I had to stop at every blaze marking to catch my breath. I wasn’t able to sip at my water as well because I was so out of breath at each stop and trying to drink while moving was difficult as I was spending so much attention to not slipping or landing in a mud puddle.

It was about 11:00am by the time I hit where the trail was split by the Lambs Knoll service road paused while I pondered whether to take the service road up to the top or stay on the trail. I decided to stick to the trail as I figured I was near the top of the knoll as best as I could tell. The trail continued up its steep grade and it round around towards the top of the knoll and I huffed and puffed my way on still stopping at every blaze marking to rest.

At one point I found and flat enough rock on the edge of the trail and decided to sit and take a break to rest myself and drink some water. The rain continued and it didn’t matter which rock I sat on as everything was sopping wet including me. Soon I heard some voices and glanced up the trail to see two young ladies making their way down. These were the first people I saw since starting and I was kind of glad that I had not seen anyone for so long.

My “Good Morning” to them startled the first hiker as I guess she didn’t expect to find a dripping wet hiker dressed in neutral colors sitting on the edge of the trail huff and puffing while trying to sip at some water. After talking to them for a short time, they explained that they had spent the night at the Crampton Gap Shelter and they had hiked about four miles since they had left.
At this point I was wondering if I would be able to make it to the Ed Garvey shelter or if I should stop at Crampton Gap. It was almost 11:40 at this point and I knew my pace had suffered a lot as I still had not reached the top of the knoll. After wishing the ladies a good hike I stood up to continue up the trail.

My legs immediately cramped up starting at my thighs and working down to me feet. I shook my legs out the best I could and continued slowly up the trail hoping the cramps would work their way out while I used the trekking poles to keep my balance.

A short time later I met another older hiker coming down the trail and I stepped to the side to let him by. He waved towards me letting me know that I could continue up but I croaked out a “I’m outta gas.” As I shook my head. As he came by I offered him a good morning as asked him how far to the park, meaning Gathland State park.
He seemed confused by this so I mentioned the shelter and he explained that he too had spent the night there with the two ladies that had passed me earlier. He had apparently left several minutes behind the ladies and was wondering how they were doing as one apparently have been give bad gear advice and was suffering. He said that he wasn’t sure how far it was to Crampton Gap as he wasn’t really paying that much attention. He mentioned that he had just passed White Rock and the Bear Creek Cabin trail about ten minutes earlier but I didn’t know where they were located. He said that he had a map that he could show me but it was in his pack. I thanked him for the offer but said that I didn’t want him opening his pack up in the rain just because I didn’t know where I was.

He asked where I had started from and at what time then suggested that was I seemed to be making good time. I thanked him and wished him a good hike before continuing.

Encouraged by this I continued my struggle up the trail with my legs getting stiffer and sorer with each step. I eventually made it to White Rock at about 12:45pm. I would have stopped for lunch but it was still raining and I didn’t want to open my pack in the rain. Not that I was terribly hungry as I was in more pain than anything else.

I got to the top of the ridge and should have been making good time but my legs were still cramped up and I was exhausted. I just wanted to reach Campton Gap where I thought I could stop for the day and give my legs a chance to relax. I was so sore that I just stopped walking at times to try and gather the energy to take the next step.

At some point some older day hikers came by me and asked how far it was to Turners Gap. I countered with my own question about how far it was to the park, once again meaning Gathland State park where they would have been coming from and when she didn’t seem to understand what I meant I asked about the shelter. The woman frowned at me and said. “Well it isn’t like they put signs up telling you how far it is.” I took this as rude but was too sore to care and replied that I didn’t know where Turners Gap was. She then told me that it was the road crossing near the church. Once I realized where that was I told her that I wasn’t sure but that I had passed that at 9:30 this past morning. She said “Thank you, that’s helpful” and continued on her way. Whether or not this was sarcasm I couldn’t tell.

My stomach grumbled soon after and I decided that I needed to eat something despite the rain so I found the nearest flat rock and took my pack off. I fished out some trail mix and pulled out my bottle of Gatorade. After munching on some dried fruit and sucking down over half the Gatorade I pulled out my phone to try and get a GPS reading but the sky was still too cloudy and the overhead tree branches blocked out much of the sky.

Defeated, I chanced a call to my sister and managed to get a poor cell connection to ask her to pick me up at Gathland State park. I had to explain to her that I had no idea how far along the trail I was but that I was heading there and she might have to wait for me to get there. I told her my situation and that I was hiking as fast as I could but each step was agony. I then called my wife and told her that I had to quit my hike.

After getting my pack back on the rain stopped but the gnats came out as I continued on. I had a head net and some bug repellent but I didn’t want to take my pack off again. About five minutes later I passed a sign for the Crampton Gap Shelter, but it was too late for me. I was in too much pain. The descent down into Gathland was incredibly difficult and I wouldn’t not had been able to make it without the trekking poles, which I was now using like canes.

Once in the park, I found my bug repellent and only had to wait ten minutes before my sister and brother-in-law arrived to rescue me.

**I hope to try again this coming spring.**

Teacher & Snacktime
11-16-2016, 12:27
Been there, done that! What was the pain, and is it something that can be overcome next time?

BTW, let me know WHEN you plan to continue next spring. Who knows, maybe you can have a suffering companion!

illabelle
11-16-2016, 12:38
Mike, most of us have experiences where we've bitten off more than we could chew. It's humbling for sure! But just getting out there is the first step, the MOST important step. Thanks for sharing your story. Believe it or not, it can be encouraging for others who struggle to realize the trail is not just for the elite. It's for old and young, fat and skinny, veterans and newbies, black and white, and all of us inbetween.

Best of luck as you contemplate step 2!

rashamon12
11-16-2016, 12:46
[QUOTE=Teacher & Snacktime;2105040]Been there, done that! What was the pain, and is it something that can be overcome next time?

You may need to be more hydrated, stretches for your leg muscles, and more iron and potassium. Electrolytes also will help battle cramping. Other than that Cho-pat dual action knee straps can help with a variety of pains as well as do some research on shoes and maybe wear lighter shoes to reduce the effort you body has to put forth to move. Trail runners are the new common choice for on the trail since your feet almost always end up getting wet even in waterproof boots. your bag weight didn't seem too bad though you can always look into ultra light alternatives to reduce it further.

its a shame the weather had to be the way it was because to someone without trail legs getting soaking wet can make you feel 10 pounds heavier which can feel like torture.

-Rush-
11-16-2016, 12:54

Hmm.. So you hopped off the couch with a 30lb pack and got lost, wet, and stuck in consistent rain? Sounds like one hell of a shakedown hike. I'm sure you learned a thing or two that will help you on your next attempt. I can think of many hikers right now that would love to get caught in a rain storm!

Odd Man Out
11-16-2016, 12:55
I spent a couple years planning my first re-entry into backpacking since my BSA days. I planned a six day hike on the AT in central VA. On the first day, after only a few hours on the trail I slipped on a wet rock and landed on my elbow. As I was falling to the ground I immediately thought "thus ends my first hike after just a few hours". As it turns out I had a good sized cut on my elbow (bandaged with Leukotape) but no severe injuries so I kept going. Then on day two I lost the trail (twice at the same spot) and my first thought was "thus ends my first hike after just 24 hours". But on the third try I found the missing blaze and kept going. Then on day three my right knee gave out. I was in a remote location and had no choice but to hike over a mountain on one leg on day four to get to road crossing with a hostel (just took it slow - it was only about 7 miles). I took a zero to rest the knee on day five and then slackpacked a section on day six. I think the key for the beginner is to assume the worst, hope for the best, have flexible plans and realistic expectations. I consider the hike a success. Met some great people. Saw some great sights. Had a good time. The fact that things didn't go as planned didn't make it a failure. Subsequent hikes have been less problematic as I learned from the first.

Puddlefish
11-16-2016, 12:59
I'd consider it more of a shakedown hike than a failure. Tough luck to start on a rainy day, but you learned that you need to better prepare for your rain strategy. Not wanting to take the pack off is understandable, but that leads to potential mistakes such as lack of nutrition for energy and warmth, and potentially getting lost if you can't get to your map.

Overall though, you had the right idea. Get on the trail and chat with the people you come across. Like any community, you might not love everyone you meet, but there's always another chance to meet someone different on down the trail.

You didn't particularly ask for advice, but one thing most hikers like is to give advice. Work on your health and strength daily, doesn't have to be much, but every little bit helps. I did a lot of cross body lifting exercises to help me more easily put my pack on and off.

Maybe bring a small sit pad, so you won't hesitate to sit on a wet rock or log (any little bit of height helps), and pull off your pack. Have your map, snacks and lunch accessible so you don't have to stop and dig them out of your pack. Early in my hike, I got in the habit of splitting my day in half, with a one hour lunch stop. This was a great time to air out my feet, stretch, get the weight of the pack off my back, and refuel. Get that pack off your back. Just standing around for hours with your pack on is exhausting. Make your rests count.

Thanks for sharing your experience, it's certain to help someone planning their hike.

capehiker
11-16-2016, 13:56

Nonsense! Get your butt out there soon. There's plenty of good weather left. I just did the same section you did two days ago and I had my summer kit plus a fleece and long johns. If you spent the time and money to rebuild your kit, you are doing yourself no service by it rotting in the closet.

Here's what you do:

Step 1: Download the app "Guthooks AT Hiking Guide" and buy the MD/PA section. Trust me, by the tone of your post about being lost and a GPS signal not working, this thing is gonna pay itself on your first trip. Your questions of how far to point A are answered using this app. It also has elevation, mileage to next water source, shelter, etc. The bonus is all access points to the AT are hyperlinked to your phone's maps so you can navigate yourself there. Also, pick up AWOLS AT Guide as well.

Step 2: Hike this route: Day 1- Weaverton Cliffs trailhead parking lot to Crampton Gap shelter (7 miles). Fill up with water at Gathland Park before the shelter. Day 2- Crampton Gap shelter to US 40A (Turners Gap) (7 miles). You'll have a steep climb up Weaverton Cliffs but after that it's smooth rolling. It's 7 miles each day. You can start at 9am and literally walk 1MPH and still get there before dark each day.

You bit off more than you can chew. No biggie. Now get back out there and do something more manageable.

Longboysfan
11-16-2016, 15:11
Do some practice hikes - even if it's in the neighborhood.
I do this randomly -tae pack.
Put I about 10 plus to simulate real pack weigh.

Then walk for at least 1 hour.

I also have a Platypus in the pack to hydrate with.

ScareBear
11-16-2016, 15:14
That's an awful lot of bad luck in an awfully short period of time....I am not sure what to make of it....

First, a fall and an elbow injury. Then some leg cramps. Then your knee "blew out". Plus you got lost repeatedly.

I suppose you could look at this experience as a "shake down". But not of your gear. It was a shake down hike of YOURSELF.

And, unfortunately, the shake down showed some obvious issues. The first and most important is your balance issue. You fell once, almost immediately upon hiking. Then you "blew out" your knee. That had to be from some awkward balance issue as well. If it isn't balance, then it is EXTREME lack of lower body strength. With your pack, you are unable to keep adequate balance and avoid cramping. So, its balance, condition or a combination of both. Either spell DOOM for a long-distance hike.

The second, and even more bothersome issue, is your lack of ability to hike on trail. You became lost twice. Blaming it on a missing blaze is absurd. If you can't navigate without a white blaze, then you may be a statistic waiting to be counted. Also, your spatial awareness is so lacking that it was dangerous. You literally had no clue where you were or where anything was at any given moment...

I think you would best be served with day hikes in populated areas until you can "shake out" your issues with balance, strength, navigation, and spatial awareness. Your shake down hike was, in fact, an abject failure. It could have only been worse if you needed rescue. And, you were perilously close to that on more than one occasion, it seems.

I'm not a "Debbie Downer" but you have some serious issues that you must address, before embarking on another AT overnight experience. People die on the AT from the exact issues I have pointed out above. Good luck.

tdoczi
11-16-2016, 15:27
The rain continued as I followed the trail as the grade grew steeper turning into a rocky flight of stairs with large puddles of water trapped behind the logs put down to help with the erosion. I was making heavy use of the trekking poles at this point and eventually got to the point where I had to stop at every blaze marking to catch my breath. I wasn’t able to sip at my water as well because I was so out of breath at each stop and trying to drink while moving was difficult as I was spending so much attention to not slipping or landing in a mud puddle.

ummm....this was in Maryland, this hike you attempted, right?

free advice- never go to new hampshire.

GoldenBear
11-16-2016, 15:46
Your first day of a real attempt at backpacking as an adult went better than mine!

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/entry.php/583-Based-on-my-choices-from-a-week-ago-I-nominate-myself-for-quot-Bonehead-of-the-Year-quot

Since then, I've SOMEHOW managed to do 1000 miles more of the A.T.

Another Kevin
11-16-2016, 17:42
Do some practice hikes - even if it's in the neighborhood.
I do this randomly -tae pack.
Put I about 10 plus to simulate real pack weigh.

Then walk for at least 1 hour.

I also have a Platypus in the pack to hydrate with.

Your auto-corrupt made the middle line of the message incomprehensible, but certainly the gist is clear - and I agree with it. I make it a point to put in at least about 40 minutes with a pack around the neighbourhood every single day. (It's part of my commute to work, so it's easy for me to work into the daily routine.) For me that means every day, rain or shine, even in the Northeast winter. There have been days that I've walked to and from work in facemask and goggles.

But that means that my body doesn't immediately fall apart when it's asked to carry and balance a pack.

The trip is short enough that there are no worries about hydration, but I carry a couple of water bottles anyway, because it's a little more load - the better to simulate a real pack.

To the original poster: It's seldom quite that bad, but my daughter has observed once: "The difference between a trail and a stream is that ordinarily a trail has more bootprints, and a stream has more trout. Even this, however, is not guaranteed." I think a lot of your leg problems may be related to trying to stay out of the mud. Until you're dealing with near-freezing temperatures, it's really better to wax your feet with something like Gurney Goo or Bonnie's Balm, wear wool socks (warm when wet) and then just not worry about keeping your feet dry. Don't try to balance on the edge of the mudhole, just plunge right in. The edge is tilted and slippery. The bottom is level.

The other thing with leg cramps is that they may be related to hydration and nutrition. Potassium is often an offender - I always include dried banana in my gorp. I also carry a couple of envelopes of a powdered sport drink mix (I've forgotten what brand, it doesn't much matter) so

You also apparently were quite anxious about navigation, and about letting anything get rained on. One thing that I always have is some sort of map of where I'm hiking. It may just be a printout from CalTopo at 1:63360 scale, but I'll at least have that much. It is folded in a gallon Ziploc with the immediate area facing out, and goes in either my trouser pocket or an outside pocket of my pack. I can read my map and use my compass even in the pouring rain, without worrying about GPS. Also, your phone probably had a fine GPS signal, but you were probably using an app that has to download its maps over the cellular network. Don't Do That. Learn to orient a map to where you can do it without thinking. Get in the habit of reviewing your route before you go, and checking your map at regular intervals. For an on-trail hike, once or twice an hour is probably fine until and unless you lose blazes. There are also plenty of other indicators of where a trail is, and there WILL be places where you're out of sight of a blaze. If someone's sawn a blowdown, or side-cut brush, or built water bars, you're on a trail. If you have a decent map and are aware of where you were up until a half hour ago, you'll even have a pretty good idea of whether it's the right trail (Hint: If you go a quarter mile, is the general trend in the right direction by your compass?) And you can at least see the trail you're on, so you can turn around and backtrack it. You might want to take an orienteering class. The field work will make you both more able to find the trail and more confident if you lose it.

The suggestion that 'capehiker' made sounds good (Disclaimer: I don't know the area, so I don't know the specific sites.) Even athletes who are unused to hiking, to say nothing of sofa spuds, are well advised not to attempt more than an 8-12 mile day when starting out. Keep it below that, until your body tells you it's ready to go farther. You'll know, when you come into your campsite midafternoon, hiking strongly and saying to yourself, "what am I going to do for the rest of the day if I stop now?" If other hikers were telling you that you were making good time, even as your legs were breaking down, you were taking it too fast. That's often more of a problem, oddly enough, on easy trail, There's one trail in a nature preserve by me that has a piddly little 600 foot elevation gain, but it's so deceptively smooth that my legs think it's level, and I'm always panting and hurting when I hit the top of it unless I consciously slow down - start some slow music going in my head and march to it, and shorten stride.

futureatwalker
11-16-2016, 17:51
Thanks for the very honest trip report.

What I've found that works well is to take regular breaks, in which you get off of your feet, and refuel.

I understand rain - trust me - and the solution there is a lightweight umbrella, and a small mat to sit on.

I'm fit, but I take a break every 55 mins for 5 mins. I sit, have a drink, and eat something. Just a bit of recovery will help extend your day and lessen your fatigue dramatically. If I was just starting out, I'd go with something like a 20 minute walk/5 min rest ratio.

Don't believe me? Try it yourself. Try 5 miles without a break, and, on a different occasion, 5 miles with breaks.

Hope you get back out there in the Spring!

Another Kevin
11-16-2016, 18:09
That's an awful lot of bad luck in an awfully short period of time....I am not sure what to make of it....

First, a fall and an elbow injury. Then some leg cramps. Then your knee "blew out". Plus you got lost repeatedly.

I suppose you could look at this experience as a "shake down". But not of your gear. It was a shake down hike of YOURSELF.

And, unfortunately, the shake down showed some obvious issues.

I presume you were responding to 'Odd Man Out', rather than to the original poster, since the first poster said nothing about falling, dinging an elbow or blowing out a knee. Original poster mentioned having to backtrack a couple of hundred feet to find a blaze and figure out where the trail went, but that's all in a days hiking, isn't it? More dangerous, surely, is having no idea about how far any landmarks were, ahead or behind, and a more frequent glance at a map would have resolved that. The guy needs a map case, or at least a freezer bag.

'Odd Man Out' has done a fair amount of hiking since his disastrous first trip, learnt from it, got better at it, and has a good time Out There. I'm sure that he was trying to present himself as a positive example that other people had an equally inauspicious start.

I've had my share of accidents and mistakes on trail, including one trip (planned to be two weeks but in practice turning out to be three trips) where I fell at a ford in 35° air temperature, came down with a nasty case of bronchitis, and fell and blew out a knee 15 miles from the nearest highway. With the two falls in two weeks, maybe I do have balance problems. They don't keep me from hiking, and I self-rescued from both incidents.

The same trip had me off-trail for over a mile, because of an extensive field of hurricane damage. I knew where I was, I knew where the trail was, and the bushwhack was easier. I also had to do a half-mile backtrack at one point because I'd wandered onto a XC ski trail that wasn't on my map. (This was in the sort of country where it isn't alarming to be out of sight of a blaze - you might go a quarter mile without seeing one.) I later met the guy who owns the resort that kept up the XC ski trail. He said that they were the trail's welcoming committee, so many hikers made the same mistake and just wound up hiking out the couple or three miles to his place.

Sometimes, a trip just isn't lucky.

lyagooshka
11-16-2016, 20:44

Do it!
My "couch to AT" story could have easily turned out worse than yours.
I had absolutely NO control over it.
If I hit your conditions, I doubt I would have gone.
The only things in my control that I had that you didn't were 1) a partner (thank you Sondance) and 2) a map (thank you Sondance).
The weather was perfect for that time of year.
If anything, it was too warm.
The ground was bone dry.
Gravity was still gravity (especially on those uphills), but you can't change that.

I would be flat out lying if I said I was loving the trip when I was at the shelter or campground.
I was more sore than I can ever remember being and I was not sure if I could go on.
Our first night at Ensign Cowall shelter, I seriously contemplated a taxi or Uber back to my car.
Sondance and Pirate kept my mind occupied with tales from the trail, and it kept me just motivated enough not to call.

The second day I thought I was a bit better, but by the time we reached the campgrounds, I was a wreck.
Not only was I every bit as sore as the day prior, I was chaffed something fierce and that's with wearing spandex skivvies to prevent such a thing.
My "unmentionable" areas felt like they fought with a cheese grater and lost, badly.
Again came the thoughts of Uber.
Then Sondance started talking about possibly pushing through to Harpers Ferry the next day instead of having a short day and staying at the shelter.
Out came the phone, but I got distracted with checking texts and emails and we had a good fire going, so I called it a night.

Day 3 I wasn't so sure, but I went.
Without someone there and knowing that now it was definitely too late to call a cab, we made our way to the shelter, and after seeing the time we made (and having been relatively flat to that point), we decided to push on.
I cursed the downhill from the cliffs to the towpath.
Every step was like getting hit in the knees with a hammer.
I thought uphills were bad, but they are just exhausting.
Downhills are down-right painful.

But we made it.
And I can guarantee you that had a single thing turned out different (doing it NOBO instead of SOBO, rain, poor trail conditions, being alone, etc.), I would not have finished.

So sorry to hear the experience was bad, but there's a whole lot of time to get back out there.
If you wait for spring, cool, but don't keep putting it off.
I still have some gear to get (starting with a pack as that 'free' one from the army almost killed me) and some more shaping up to do.
I wouldn't mind doing an overnighter once the weather is a bit nicer, or a few days maybe over a long weekend.

Keep in touch.
Let's get something going.
Like I said, I'm up for PA or a part of MD.
Just need a little notice to get off work and make some plans.

Kaptainkriz
11-16-2016, 22:30
I'm your age, and like you got the bug to get back out hiking after being away from it for decades. I have a desk job and I'm not what anyone would call fit. I live in MD too and started doing sections in MD 1st and have been working south over the last year, getting out whenever I can. It's easier now than when I first started back up, but I'm not averaging over 2mph and usually limit to between 5 and 8 miles in a day with a pack weight around 30lbs. If I go longer on tougher terrain than MD, my knee hurts and I have to stop. If I hike at a pace faster than 2mph, my legs start burning and I need to rest fairly often. When I look at your times in the 1st post it looks like your pace may have been too fast (I can't average 2.4 for very long), and your distance a little ambitious. Although Rocky Run is only a 4 mile day from where you started, I'd have stopped there on my 1st time out and enjoyed the afternoon there, stayed overnight, and tried starting fresh the next day. Take your time and build to longer hikes. The weather is still great in MD to get out and hike some more, even if just as an out and back without staying overnight. You will get better over time. Sounds like you got out, got rained on (not entirely fun), hiked farther than you should have, learned a little, and want to go back. See you on the trail! :)

rafe
11-16-2016, 23:45
What's that they say, "no pain no gain?" Every hike you do is a learning experience. The weather -- nothing much to do about it except be prepared as you can, grin and bear it, or stay home, or just take shelter.

It sounds to me like you need some work in orienteering. Just staying on the trail. Knowing where you are by dead reckoning. You don't mention much about maps and guides. A good map and profile view tell me most of what I need to know. As for the dead reckoning (DR) skills -- they improve with practice. A lot depends on guesstimating your hiking speed in various conditions. It's sobering to realize that 2 mph, on the AT with a full pack, is a pretty good clip.

The profile (on the guides and ATC maps) tells you where the significant ups and downs are. Helps you figure out where you are, anticipate the effort involved, and fine tune your estimation of your speed in varying conditions and terrain.

Road crossings can be tricky. Sometimes the blaze on the opposite side isn't immediately apparent. There might be a short road walk involved. Stop and look for blazes. If you don't see a blaze or trailhead just across the road, look for a blaze pointing up or down the road.

Leo L.
11-17-2016, 06:37
I would call a trip failed only if you wouldn't have returned at all.
Having had a hard time should be booked under "experience", and after some time worth a nice story being told.

ScareBear
11-17-2016, 07:23
My oops. I combined the two tales of woes!! Both were quite the tales. I suppose I was looking for a reason that OP quit the hike, other than leg cramps...

OP made it one day? And got lost. And, never really had any idea where they were. And, made some poor decisions.

First, not being able to hydrate while moving is no big deal. Unless you don't stop moving frequently enough to hydrate....these leg cramps may have been due to dehydration/lack of electrolytes. Whether it was lack of fitness, dehydration, electrolytes or some combination, your trip was felled by leg cramps on Day 1. I would get some blood work to make certain no hidden issues(diabetes, etc...) and then get clearance from the DR. on exercise. Start with a mile hike at a time. Throw in some stair work on the same day. Yeah, stair work. It sucks, but the AT is essentially an incredibly long staircase....You should do four flights up and down to start. Don't carry a pack for these. Do these no less than twice per week. Add a mile and a flight of stairs every third week. In 6 months your fitness level should be at 9 miles and 13 flights of stairs. This should be adequate for starting on the AT. My advice for the gradual build-up is due to your description of breathless hiking, constant cramping, leg agony and having to rely on your poles as crutches on descents. Your level of physical conditioning is quite low and at your age it takes a long time to bring it up. There is no magical cure for 30 years of inactivity. It takes a long time to get back in shape.

Second is the lack of adequate rain gear. With adequate rain gear you would have been relatively dry(except for trapped moisture due to excessive perspiration) and wouldn't have needed to find a rock to sit on. You would have just sat on your pack. Or in a puddle. Rain gear is waterproof. Just sayin. Same with GTX boots....you wouldn't be doing the puddle dance with waterproof boots...just sayin....

Third is your lack of a map, compass and trailcraft skills. For such a short hike, there is no excuse not to have an adequate map with elevation profiles. Get Guthook's AT Guide for your phone for the section you plan to hike. Learn to read a map. Learn to carry a map. Learn to use a compass. Learn to carry a compass.

I hope you do get in shape and do learn the basic skills needed by every hiker on wilderness backpacking trips so that you can enjoy the AT. You didn't really enjoy it, did you? You will. Once you complete your first multi-night hike successfully, you will.

GOOD LUCK!

Heliotrope
11-17-2016, 07:51
I found your story interesting . I am always thinking of what I can learn. One theme that stands out to me is your reluctance to take off your pack at various points. Whether to eat, drink, check the map, get bug spray or rest. I know that when I start ignoring my body's needs I am looking for trouble. I use my pack's outer mesh pockets and hip belt pockets to keep water, snacks, phone, map and the entire day's food easily accessible without opening the pack or even taking it off.

Consider a pack that allows you that accessibility. And take it off when you stop to rest. Work on your fitness and tighten up your pack weight. 30 lbs is a lot for a one night trip. Your body would have been happier with half that weight. Try to think of your trip as a learning experience. You can't learn if you don't get out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mikerfixit
11-17-2016, 11:08
Thanks for all the advice and encouragement.

My main problem in this adventure were the leg cramps. Had that not happened I would have finished.

The weather reports weren't accurate as they called for mist and light rain until 10:00am not light rain with periods of heavy rain lasting until 2:00pm. I prefer temperatures in the 60's so I decided to be wet and comfortable instead of putting on the rain poncho and being hot and wet due to sweat. As long as the temperatures remained where they did I only had to worry about wind which there was very little of. Should I have felt myself getting cold I would have added more layers and put the rain poncho on.

The older hiker I met, after the two ladies, was dressed similar to how I was with the exception he was wearing a rain skirt. We were both wet except maybe his legs were dry. it was funny watching the water run off our hats was we talked.

My feet were the only dry parts I had. The combination of gortex boots and wool socks kept my feet dry and my pants let the water shed over the top of the boots instead of running down my ankles. Had I submerged my feet in the puddles behind the logs then my feet would have gotten wet and heavier which is why I decided to step over them instead of in them.

Everything in my pack that I was worried about getting wet was inside plastic bags. I just didn't feel like taking my pack off as I had it sitting comfortably with the exception of one strap buckle that started to rub later in the day.

This part of the trail is very well marked, even better than it was 30 years ago. There were blazes every 100ft it seemed and the trail was obvious otherwise. There was a definite path through the woods. The only problems were at the road crossings where the blaze would sometimes be a distance off the road.

I'm scheduled for blood work within the next few days and will be going though testing on my legs for possible circulation problems.

to be continued...

Odd Man Out
11-17-2016, 12:36
...'Odd Man Out' has done a fair amount of hiking since his disastrous first trip, learnt from it, got better at it, and has a good time Out There. I'm sure that he was trying to present himself as a positive example that other people had an equally inauspicious start....

Exactly, except that I didn't consider my first trip to be "disastrous". The point is that having a trip not go as planned does not make it a disaster. If anything it makes it normal. BTW, my getting "lost" on day one was really sort of humorous. The trail was following a narrow ridge for several mile so I know I really couldn't get lost. But at one point the trail just did a dead end in the woods. I finally found the blaze that led you through this very narrow gap in the rocks to the right. The fact that there was an obvious use-trail going left tells me I was not the only one to miss this turn.

Also for the OP, leg cramps suggest an electrolyte imbalance (I had some problems with this last summer in SNP). Fortunately I was packing NUUN tablets. This was summer in VA, so I was prepared.

JohnHuth
11-17-2016, 13:12
Yup, sounds like too much all at once.

I had a 7 day trip in the Alps this past summer. Since I'd been out of hiking for maybe 6-8 months, I had a campaign of conditioning hikes. These were day hikes with significant elevation gain. On one of them, I got cramps - next hike, used some electrolytes. I'd say I had maybe 2 months of conditioning hikes, and once I hit the trail in the Alps, no problems.

Also - lots of core work helps. I have dumb bells, and do curls and lunges at the same time - a great combo to get in shape for that. Jumping rope, too, as it gets the fast nervous system response going for the balancing that you need that can sometimes cause more lateral motion than you're used to and get cramps from that.

Then, work on trail finding and basic map and compass work on the conditioning hikes.

Berserker
11-17-2016, 13:48
That's cool that you got out. I have aborted trips before because of rain also. Hiking in the rain can suck. I don't mind light rain when it's warm out, but cold rain and/or torrential downpours are not enjoyable. What I find kind of amusing is that with the drought we have been having here that you somehow picked the one time to go out when it was actually raining...kind of ironic when you think about it. Anyway, when you plan your trip in the spring try to be flexible and go when the weather is going to be nice...you'll have a lot more fun then.

Mikerfixit
01-03-2017, 13:37
Lab results all came back good, x-rays look good, sonogram and pressure tests came back clean so there isn't an underlying health issue. Just an out of shape issue.

Now on to a podiatrist to find out why my foot hurts all the time.

Come on spring.