PDA

View Full Version : Funny Backpacker Magazine qoute.

hammock engineer
01-16-2006, 00:02
I recieved a sample Backpacker in the mail. Something to try to get me to subscribe to it. I know how everyone here loves them, so I thought I would share this with you.

"POPQUIZ

Are you an ultralight wanker? You should stop counting ounces and get out hiking if you trim your map edges or remove product labels. We urge you to save your sanity instead of another .036 ounces.?"

Does this mean that weight doesn't mater, or is that the mentality to my base pack weight getting below 20 pounds?

Tinker
01-16-2006, 00:14
I wrote them a letter and had my subscription cancelled when they started advertising Honda OFF ROAD motorcycles, both in their written pages and their website.
It seems that they're only interested in the almighty $ anymore.:cool:
Lightening up your pack often means buying cottage industry cutting edge UL gear, or making your own, neither of which puts money into the back pocket of Backpacker. The big advertising bucks are spent by the gear manufacturers unwilling, for liability reasons (and returns by unrealistic gear users) to make ultralight gear. It's understandable, but unfortunate.
Off road motorcycle ads in a hiking mag. are akin to Omaha Steak ads in Vegetarian Times.

Btw: I own and ride an old Honda street bike. I have no problem with environmentally friendly transportation ads appearing in an outdoor mag.

Crash
01-16-2006, 10:50
Backpacker Editors just don't get it.

How many articles on hammock camping and reviews have you seen in their Mag? they tell me they are reviewing hammocks but you know they won't really do it. it would offend their big advertizers.
I complained when they had a whole mag without any trees in any of the pictures!!
They show that backpacking is 'peak-bagging' and going to all the hot spots.
They go for the views but they are very short sighted.
How many of them log on to White Blaze to see what the real world is doing?

Pg 55 of the Feb 2006 issue has Reader Poll: "Luxuries you rarely pack: # 8: a Hammock"...........................
Since when did my HH become a luxury??

Luckily, to be a real backpacker you don't have to follow that Mag's way.
Yes I do have a subscription to it (a holiday gift).

Be a White Blazer and be true to yourself.
:sun

Doctari
01-16-2006, 11:06
Backpacker has totally lost touch with (hiking) reality. I agree that if given the choice in spending the time trimming your map edges & actually hiking, you are probably better off just hiking, but judging from my copy of that "sample" I have to agree with Tinker. The almighty $$$ is the driving force with Backpacker now. I let my subscription go after a 5 page with glossy pictures & a 2 page map article on hiking in, , , , , , , Downtown San Fran Sisco. Also in that issue: 5 (FIVE!!) half page adds for SUVs, 2 for off road motorcycles/ATVs & alot of other CRAP not even remotly related to self propelled travel.

BTW, Backpacker knows my feelings on this, not surprisingly, they didn't respond to my letter. I still have several old issues, from back when hiking was top dog & ads were a means to support backpacking. I read them from time to time, great stuff. Now, Backpacking is a 4th class citizen & MONEY isn't top dog, it's the only dog in the yard.

This is company wide at Rodell press, owners of Backpacker mag & several others. $$$$ first, (topic) if we really have to.

Doctari.

Tha Wookie
01-16-2006, 11:16
wanker?

They just want to sell more advertisements.

The lightweight DIY movement does Backpacker Magazine no good.

They sound scared to me.

halibut15
01-16-2006, 11:26
I agree that Backpacker is turning into an "all for the money" magazine and ignoring real trends and issues in backpacking, AND I'm all for ultralight backpacking, but you've gotta admit, that quote was pretty dang funny. As it can be with anything, some people do tend to go a tad bit overboard lose sight of why they're going out into the woods in the first place.

Tha Wookie
01-16-2006, 12:23
Or.... could it have been an inside reference to the lightweight gear tester "Wanchor"?

:-?

Mags
01-16-2006, 12:23

But this Mags' way ain't that much better some would argue. ;)

hammock engineer
01-16-2006, 12:33
Backpacker Editors just don't get it.

How many articles on hammock camping and reviews have you seen in their Mag? they tell me they are reviewing hammocks but you know they won't really do it. it would offend their big advertizers.
I complained when they had a whole mag without any trees in any of the pictures!!
They show that backpacking is 'peak-bagging' and going to all the hot spots.
They go for the views but they are very short sighted.
How many of them log on to White Blaze to see what the real world is doing?

Pg 55 of the Feb 2006 issue has Reader Poll: "Luxuries you rarely pack: # 8: a Hammock"...........................
Since when did my HH become a luxury??

Yes I do have a subscription to it (a holiday gift).

Be a White Blazer and be true to yourself.

I agree on the hammock and luxury thing. I don't think my back would hold up to a thru without mine.

I went in to my local outfitter yesterday to check out the granite gear vapor trail pack. The people working there thought it was way to small to take on a thru. They also thought I would need more than 20lbs of gear. Maybe, maybe not, but I'll find out on the trail.

I also thought it strange that when I was talking about my gear (I am going to bring it in sometime and load the pack out to test it), that they never heard of the HH. I guess tents make more money for them.

soccersoldier13
01-16-2006, 12:46
Instead of worrying about what this magazine says or any other for that matter, shouldn't you be getting out and enjoying what you believe the magazine is failing to represent. Who cares what someone else writes, it's their opinion. I can also say that I think ultra-light fanatics are truly missing the point of what backpacking stands for. While packing within reason, it seems that the extreme ultra-lighters are taking the easy way out, trying to prove their manhood, instead of encompassing what the challenge and enjoyment of backpacking is all about.

Whistler
01-16-2006, 13:00
...it seems that the extreme ultra-lighters are taking the easy way out, trying to prove their manhood, instead of encompassing what the challenge and enjoyment of backpacking is all about.
Which is...?

Back on topic, it's not just Backpacker that sucks. Backpacker ain't what it used to was, but if you look at the rest of the magazine rack, I think you'll find that most mags these days are thin on content. Plenty of hype, though. There are probably less than a dozen magazines worth paying for.

-Mark

Just Jeff
01-16-2006, 13:08
Wear it like a badge of honor. WANKERS UNITE!

bulldog49
01-16-2006, 13:19
Which is...?

Back on topic, it's not just Backpacker that sucks. Backpacker ain't what it used to was, but if you look at the rest of the magazine rack, I think you'll find that most mags these days are thin on content. Plenty of hype, though. There are probably less than a dozen magazines worth paying for.

-Mark

I agree. It's the lack of content in Backpacker that caused me to not renew my subscription.

I don't really care who places an ad in the magazine. They are a for profit business and have the right to sell ads to anyone who wants to pay. I look at it from the standpoint those advertisers are subsidizing me by keeping the price of the magazine down.

Toolshed
01-16-2006, 13:56
Backpacker Editors just don't get it....
I think they do get it. Rodale isn't a cottage industry and neither is backpacking. Yes, Backpacker has changed from the first issues, which were more content than advertisement, but then while the first issues were a "cottage industry" it has gone mainstream.

How many felt alienated when Joy Division became New Order and went mainstream with widespread Radio Play?

As the masses descend on cutting edge "cottage industries" it becomes mainstream and those that felt "on the edge" usually now feel alienatd or disgruntled.

I have been reading BP for many many years and I understand it is not oriented to me. It hasn't been oriented to me in at least 15 years, but it is a great magazine in general. Are they wrong for choosing a target audience that doesn't include you?? Or perhaps it does. Do you still buy it and gripe about it?

Simply put, If they can't market to the masses, then they cannot turn a profit and will fold - you want them to have content based on your needs and there are very few of "you" out there.

Of course, with all the competition from all of the cottage industry magazines out there that market to the 4-5000 ultalighters, they might just fold anyways.

It will be 10-15 years from now, but I am sure that many of these utlralight companies will probably be bought out or merged into larger "mainstream" companies, or perhaps there will be a new mega ultralightweight Company that buys them all up. But it will become mainstream and there will be a whole new backpacking fad out there and we will scratch our heads and say -What's wrong with old-fashioned ultralight??

Interestingly enough, I do think that even the ultralight companies are becoming more mainstream in order to satisfy more consumers and (gasp) make more money. I see more ultralight tents and tarps out there getting heavier as the manufacturers add back the feautres that were originally cut out for the minimalists - Floors, storm doors, windows, vents, more mesh, more poles (but in different configurations).

hungryhowie
01-16-2006, 16:03
I agree. It's the lack of content in Backpacker that caused me to not renew my subscription.

I don't really care who places an ad in the magazine. They are a for profit business and have the right to sell ads to anyone who wants to pay. I look at it from the standpoint those advertisers are subsidizing me by keeping the price of the magazine down.

You're right. They can sell adds to whomever they want. It is the advertisements they CHOOSE to run that determine their character, however. A magazine with a circulation like backpacker has fairly good pickings about what they can run (and charge). There are clearly things advertised in the magazine that have little to do with backpacking and/or backpackers, but there are also some touchier subjects that do have something to do with us; i.e. SUVs.

When was the last time you were at a remote trailhead that wasn't littered with trucks and SUVs? I'd bet that a great percentage of avid outdoorsmen (and outdoorswomen) own an SUV-like vehicle for getting to their destinations. So to imply that those things aren't relevant to backpackers isn't necesarily correct.

You've got to understand that thru-hiking is a niche, and that if "real backpacking" is defined by the masses, than the magazine does a fair job of displaying that. The vast majority of backpackers out there are weekend warriors who break away from their career/family no more than 2 weeks per year...and that's who the magazine is catering to. Most of these folks haven't the experience to know about alternative types of gear. Hell, they hardly have enough time in the woods to know how to set up their 5-year old tent.

So of course it seems ludicrous to those of us who are lucky enough to spend 6-months in the woods refining our systems to a science. Of course it seems ludicrous to us to see articles about backpacking in downtown San Francisco when we spend half of the year wandering aimlessly through the woods watching for a path and 2" x 6" blazes. But we're a minority...a very very small minority...and we're not their target audience. So while we keep kicking this dead horse about how backpacker has fallen to the almighty $$$ over and over and over and over again...it's really quite safe to say that they're not talking to you. If you don't like it...don't read it. And consider yourself lucky that you get to spend so much time out in the woods. Enjoy it.

For myself, it's almost been 6 years since I hiked the trail (god, it feels like just yesterday). But that hike did so much for me. Recently, I moved to a large city on the west coast within driving distance of some really really neat stuff. On a day off, I can go to the olympic peninsula. I can go to the cascades. I can climb volcanos or explore temperate rainforests. I can go skiing surfing or kayaking. So no, I can't spend six months in the woods anymore...but I do get out about twice a month...which has been great for my soul...not that anyone cares or anything. Look, just do what makes you happy.

-Howie

Tha Wookie
01-16-2006, 16:21
Howie,

Although I agree with your post generally, this case actually has Backpacker calling lightweight hikers names ("wankers").

Hardly an honorable publication for one that is supposed to be an authority on the topic. That kind of tactic is another example of alienating its audience. Notice that the person who started the thread read it, hence he is the audience.

Mags
01-16-2006, 17:18
Food for thought in any case. I posted this link recently.

http://www.mountaingazette.com/art.php?uid=190&date=2004-10-01

RockyTrail
01-16-2006, 17:21
It's worse than you thought.
Look up the definition of "wanker"...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wanker

D'Artagnan
01-16-2006, 17:41
Haven't seen the magazine article in question, but is it possible the original post here should have read "WALKER" instead of "WANKER"? Wanker is kind of an obscure word.

In any event, call me a Wanker or whatever you like. At the end of the day, carrying fewer pounds makes my legs and feet a whole lot happier. Wank on! (Or should that be Wank OFF???) :D

Crash
01-16-2006, 23:32
Instead of worrying about what this magazine says or any other for that matter, shouldn't you be getting out and enjoying what you believe the magazine is failing to represent. Who cares what someone else writes, it's their opinion. I can also say that I think ultra-light fanatics are truly missing the point of what backpacking stands for. While packing within reason, it seems that the extreme ultra-lighters are taking the easy way out, trying to prove their manhood, instead of encompassing what the challenge and enjoyment of backpacking is all about.

the problem is that some potential backpacker is going to use that Mag to get vital info and have a really crappy time out there on the trail.
We then lose another potential backpacker.
That's why I care.
No, I'm not a utralight fanatic, but a lot of what the Mag preaches makes FORMER backpackers out of a lot of people. And it keeps a lot out of people the woods who might go but don't because they don't have thousands of $$$ tied up to that gear.

hammock engineer
01-16-2006, 23:52
That's the great thing about the internet. With some searching on google, anyone can come up with this site or any other one with a huge variety of answers and opinoins.

I see how some people will take everything they read as fact. But maybe it is the engineer in me that reads everything I can and over analize everything before I make up my mind.

The answers are out there for everyone. I guess this just means the lazy people will not get the whole picture.

Almost There
01-17-2006, 00:08
Sometimes we're just a little thin skinned, while I don't believe in removing the roll from the tp I carry or sawing off the end of my toothbrush, etc. I have found the merits to lightening my load for long distance hikes. I think when they referred to light weights as "wankers" they were being over-the-top. Let's be honest, it is kinda funny when you think about it...is the extra, 1.5lbs you save from doing these little things really gonna make or break your hike? Most of you that I know, many having net, I know that your hike would not be broken by this. Anybody who obsesses over little things when looked at from the outside could be viewed with some humor, think about people who have OCD and have to have containers for everything, or the people who have to have lines in their carpet after vaccuming in order to feel their carpet is clean...silly, right? I wouldn't have called them "wankers", knowing what it means, but the thought si kinda funny. As for backpacker...yes, they have gone mainstream, but they do have some good stuff in there, and as for cost, come on, tell you what, become a member of the American Hiking Society, and get your free subscription, that way you are giving money to a worthy cause...and in some small way..."Sticking it to the Man!!!"

muB
02-08-2014, 22:26
Wear it like a badge of honor. WANKERS UNITE!

yeah, wankin' on trail is fun!! lol

muB
02-08-2014, 22:27
Backpacker's web site is one of the most poorly designed ever also, tons of ads, thin on content, asking you to subscribe popup every time you follow a link

rickb
02-08-2014, 23:46
Here is a page from the last issue of the magazine. Seems like it might point a person unfamiliar with the area in a good direction. I can't vouch for the many other areas around the country that are INTRODUCED in a similar way.

rickb
02-08-2014, 23:47
Photography is good in this shot too. Perhaps a bit of added inspiration?

kayak karl
02-09-2014, 00:40
it was a joke. UL wankers......losing .036 oz (10cc)

RockDoc
02-09-2014, 20:42
Rodale make's it's cushy living off of selling advertising for gear.
Those dang ultralight ounce weenies won't buy a ton of gear from our sponsors.
Hence they are wankers!

very logical thinking, Rodale.

rickb
02-09-2014, 21:51
The "Heroes" section is usually worth a look. If you read the March issue, you will even see another mention of Whiteblaze. FWIW, you can check it out with a trial membership at next issue.com