PDA

View Full Version : Trowels

Guyler
11-17-2016, 11:29
Saw this on Massdrop, http://dro.ps/b/oVUYALQ

Looks decent, cheap and light. Thoughts?

saltysack
11-17-2016, 11:41
Save wt and money use trekking pole, stick or rock....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trailmercury
11-17-2016, 12:04
Deuce of Spades is cheaper (what I carry)
I am an Ultralighter by the way, but still feel the very small weight penalty is worth it.
These trowels are much more effective than using a stick/rock/trekking pole.
With a weight of 0.5 oz it barely makes a difference!

FreeGoldRush
11-17-2016, 12:06

Can you seriously dig a 6 to 8 inch hole in the Georeigis mountains with s trekking pole, rock, or stick? It's even tough to do with a tool designed for task. When it's cold it gets really difficult. But I don't speak from much experience.

Guyler
11-17-2016, 12:20
Oh man, for some reason I thought Duce of Spades was $30, but you're right $22 on Amazon with prime.

HooKooDooKu
11-17-2016, 12:21
I'd like to know where these people go camping that suggest just using a stick or rock (or others claim to just use the heal of their boot).

Most places that I've been camping (primarily GSMNP and JMT), you're supposed to dig a cat hole at least 6" deep. I have a fairly sturdy trowel (Sea to Summit Alloy Trowel... used to be called the iPood!). I have often had difficulty (and it some cases found it impossible) to dig the required 6" deep cat hole in due to rocks (JMT) or roots (GSMNP).

So if I'm having problems with a sturdy trowel, I don't see how someone could expect to always be able to dig a legal cat hole using just a trekking pole, stick, rock, or heal of their boot.

Because of the rocks and roots I've encountered while digging a cat hole, I've often found that a little extra force is needed to get the task accomplished. That would be my one concern about a thin trowel like this... is there enough of a handle to get a good grip when a little extra force is required? That's at least one thing I like about the Sea to Summit trowel... it has a tube for a handle.

Keep in mind that if you look at Sea to Summit trowels, they make two... the one of metal like I have, and one that weights less made of nylon. The nylon version usually gets panned because it just can't handle the abuse that is often required in digging a cat hole. Same thing can be said about those cheap orange plastic trowels you often see. I tried using one of those on my 1st ever camping trip about 20 years ago and found it totally useless and have been using my STS ever since.

Hosh
11-17-2016, 12:47
Skurka is an advocate of the heel method. It might work in areas covered with years worth of pine needle duff, but not so much in soil with tree roots and stones. I carry the Deuce of Spades and it works well, in situation of really tough digging, I will put on my Mechanics gloves since the edges are thin.

-Rush-
11-17-2016, 13:22
I also carry the Deuce of Spades and I recommend it for terrain in GA/NC/TN.

Puddlefish
11-17-2016, 13:22
I managed to wear away the tip of a pole, just hiking, managed to tear the sole of my boots, just hiking. I'm not going to abuse expensive hiking gear for the sake of .6 of an ounce.

Most sticks found on the ground, are on the ground because they're dead, dry and brittle.

I found the Deuce of Spades worked well. Cut through small roots, was able to get around larger roots and rocks, efficiently moved sandy soil. One edge was sharp when I bought it, I smoothed it out with a knife sharpening stone prior to the hike.

rocketsocks
11-17-2016, 13:27
Skurka is an advocate of the heel method. It might work in areas covered with years worth of pine needle duff, but not so much in soil with tree roots and stones. I carry the Deuce of Spades and it works well, in situation of really tough digging, I will put on my Mechanics gloves since the edges are thin.its also hell on the knees.

Siestita
11-17-2016, 13:47
With patience I "got by" using the 'dig with a stick or a rock' method for about forty years. But, even while otherwise lightening my pack load substantially, I now enthusiastically carry one of Qwiz's "Big Dig" six tenths of an ounce titanium trowels. Digging and cutting through roots is much easier using that small wonder. (Disclosure-- Other than being a customer of his, and also a fellow White Blaze member, I have no connection to Qwiz.)

http://www.qiwiz.net/trowels.html

capehiker
11-17-2016, 13:52
I have the smallest QiWiz trowel. Weighs absolutely nothing and can slice through soil in a jiffy.

QiWiz
11-17-2016, 14:06
With patience I "got by" using the 'dig with a stick or a rock' method for about forty years. But, even while otherwise lightening my pack load substantially, I now enthusiastically carry one of Qwiz's "Big Dig" six tenths of an ounce titanium trowels. Digging and cutting through roots is much easier using that small wonder. (Disclosure-- Other than being a customer of his, and also a fellow White Blaze member, I have no connection to Qwiz.)

http://www.qiwiz.net/trowels.html

I have the smallest QiWiz trowel. Weighs absolutely nothing and can slice through soil in a jiffy.

The thinner the trowel, the better it digs, as long as it is STRONG. Just sayin' . . .
Gotta love the trowel luv.

CarlZ993
11-17-2016, 14:25
I use QiWiz's Big Dig trowel. Very light. I too have some deep reservations about using your heal or a stick to dig a cat hole.

saltysack
11-17-2016, 14:53
I guess I've never measured the 6" per say but have never had trouble finding duff on the ground that sufficient covers all contents well and fairly deep. I also make a point to go well off trail usually near or inside a rotting tree as so well away from others....on JMT simply covering with a large rock or finding a good deep ground squirrel hole was never an issue.....[emoji23]. Yea I packed out most TP....

Miles 2 Go
11-17-2016, 14:58
Add me to the list of Duce of Spades user. I also can't see how you can dig a proper cat hole with your boot heel, tent stake or a rock. I've tried those methods in Pa and failed, heck it's tuff using the trowel at times.

swisscross
11-17-2016, 15:03
Add me to Qiwiz ti user. I have the small one.

Sarcasm the elf
11-17-2016, 15:04

I felt that way for years, but this year I switched to a $3 REI snow stake and have to admit it is a heck of a lot easier to dig with than it is to use my hiking pole.

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/13956962989808145146?lsf=seller:1209243,store:1036 2391606049473437,lsfqd:0&prds=oid:7033936240933445588&q=REI+Snow+Stake+Curry&hl=en-us&ei=Mv8tWIesDMm-jwSetYiADA&lsft=cm_mmc:PLA_Google_LIA%7C404_2998%7C8453280001 %7Cnone%7C54745db8-095a-4d49-9a1a-0000279c96a5%7Cpla-66378680386&lsft=gclid:CIuPl9-9sNACFU5WDQodxFYDyA

Hosh
11-17-2016, 15:06
I guess I've never measured the 6" per say but have never had trouble finding duff on the ground that sufficient covers all contents well and fairly deep. I also make a point to go well off trail usually near or inside a rotting tree as so well away from others....on JMT simply covering with a large rock or finding a good deep ground squirrel hole was never an issue.....[emoji23]. Yea I packed out most TP....

The local environs does make a huge difference, NW rainforest to SW desert to mid America sub alpine all have different characteristics. Bottom line is get off the main trail somewhere unlikely to be a traffic lane away from water. If you don't get the recommended depth, cover with a branch, rock or whatever. Whether it takes 30 days or 30 weeks becomes irrelevant if it doesn't pollute a water source or become an eyesore.

Sarcasm the elf
11-17-2016, 15:08
Can you seriously dig a 6 to 8 inch hole in the Georeigis mountains with s trekking pole, rock, or stick? It's even tough to do with a tool designed for task. When it's cold it gets really difficult. But I don't speak from much experience.

I dug many a 8" cathole in Georgia using my trekking pole, including the middle of a few rhododendron thickets. That said it was definitely a bit of work to get it done, and I've recently converted to bringing a better implement with me.

saltysack
11-17-2016, 15:11
The local environs does make a huge difference, NW rainforest to SW desert to mid America sub alpine all have different characteristics. Bottom line is get off the main trail somewhere unlikely to be a traffic lane away from water. If you don't get the recommended depth, cover with a branch, rock or whatever. Whether it takes 30 days or 30 weeks becomes irrelevant if it doesn't pollute a water source or become an eyesore.

Y I hear ya....I'm not the guy leaving TP blooms around.....I'm all about LNT.....just haven't seen the need yet...i guess just like using a snow stake or ground hog you could use a good sharp trowel for a tent stake.....BYOS.....[emoji51]

Sandy of PA
11-17-2016, 15:51
I have the little Dig, gave my sister the big Dig, both are lighter than a snow stake. I did wrap the the handle on the trowels with a bit of Cuben tape as the dip stuff cut thru on first use. Cuben tape works to protect the hand, those trowels are sharp.

Rolls Kanardly
11-17-2016, 18:14
The link is does not appear to be a viable link for the suggested product.

AfterParty
11-17-2016, 18:26
I paid 2.99 for a black fiskars garden trowl. Much strudier then the orange ones IMO. Also if I'm digging a hole I want a shovel personally. When its time to dig I don't want to be trying to dig a hole with a pole I'd rather be using that to brace myself already.

Another Kevin
11-17-2016, 18:49
I carry a black Fiskars garden trowel, but some time soon I'm gonna get me a Big Dig, Deuce of Spades, or something similar. I'm convinced of the value, just haven't taken the plunge yet.

Sarcasm the elf
11-17-2016, 18:51
I carry a black Fiskars garden trowel, but some time soon I'm gonna get me a Big Dig, Deuce of Spades, or something similar. I'm convinced of the value, just haven't taken the plunge yet.

Kevin I believe you are required to quote the bible any time you are posting on this subject. :D

Guyler
11-17-2016, 19:19
The link is does not appear to be a viable link for the suggested product.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/suluk-46-tark-trowel You may need an account to get the deal (around $25 with shipping)
But here is their direct website

Guyler
11-17-2016, 19:20
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/suluk-46-tark-trowel You may need an account to get the deal (around $25 with shipping)
But here is their direct website

http://suluk46.com/products%20%20-%20P11%20Titanium%20Trowel.html

Kaptainkriz
11-17-2016, 19:45
I use this little titanium guy:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ULTRALIGHT-BACKPACKING-TITANIUM-CATHOLE-TROWEL-pot-mug-stove-/132001662441?hash=item1ebbe985e9:g:z1YAAOSwaNBUhgm p

saltysack
11-17-2016, 21:38
Is this considered a luxury item?....[emoji3]

theinfamousj
11-18-2016, 03:54
I felt that way for years, but this year I switched to a $3 REI snow stake...

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/13956962989808145146?lsf=seller:1209243,store:1036 2391606049473437,lsfqd:0&prds=oid:7033936240933445588&q=REI+Snow+Stake+Curry&hl=en-us&ei=Mv8tWIesDMm-jwSetYiADA&lsft=cm_mmc:PLA_Google_LIA%7C404_2998%7C8453280001 %7Cnone%7C54745db8-095a-4d49-9a1a-0000279c96a5%7Cpla-66378680386&lsft=gclid:CIuPl9-9sNACFU5WDQodxFYDyA

I am also a snow stake user. It is a dual purpose item in that it is also a regular tent stake even when there isn't snow.

My tent is not free standing, but if I need to deliver a food baby after I have pitched my tent, then the vestibule will just have to be not pulled out until The Browns have been buried.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

nsherry61
11-18-2016, 09:13
Snow stakes used here. Lot's of power with for digging, more comfortable to dig with than those "knife edged" titanium trowels, multi-purpose, less than an oz in weight, $2-$5 each depending on brand and vendor. But mostly, I already have them and they work well.

Traveler
11-18-2016, 09:31
If one is expert enough to dig a proper cat hole with a trekking pole, stick, or bit of metal, I've no issue. However, from what I have seen, few people are able to do this properly and we are treated to the evidence of poor process long after they leave. I'm amused when people talk about weights of various things so they can carry recharging equipment for their electronics, at the same time claiming a cat hole trowel adds too much weight. Sanitation over communication.

saltysack
11-18-2016, 10:48
From what I've seen is more of a problem with dump site location not depth....[emoji15]

Hosh
11-18-2016, 11:26

You know, I think it could be under some circumstances. I always bring mine when traveling with my wife and daughters, never when in the desert and sometimes when in the Rockies.

Turk6177
11-18-2016, 11:56
Hands down, the deuce of spades rocks. Honestly, with roots and rocks, etc., it is very hard at times to dig 6" even with the deuce, let alone a stick or a boot. That leads me to believe that "stick and boot" hikers perhaps more frequently have more shallow cat holes than is recommended. I have used it in an variety of conditions and never been let down.

madgoat
11-21-2016, 12:17
I have been using the qiwiz big dig for several years now. I unfortunately left one at my cathole on Gregory Bald a few years ago and had to replace it.

Point 1 - I have used it extensively in the hard, root and rock ridden soil of the GSMNP on many occasions and found it works much better than the orange plastic jobby.

Point 2 - I agree with qiwiz, the nice thin titanium is great for cutting into the soil. It also serves well at severing small roots and worrying rocks out of the soil.

Point 3 - So far, I haven't had the plastic dip on the handle fail.

Point 4 - 6" deep is not just to get it out of sight, it also gets it down into the bioactive soil where it can be absorbed and turned into plant food. So flipping over a rock may
work for your convenience, but if you are not getting it down into the soil, then you are just making a mess for somebody else to discover.

Point 5 - There are certainly places with loose, sandy, or rocky soil that you can use the stick/heel method. If that is where you live and hike, then great. But if you are not regularly getting you payload down 6" into the ground, don't fool yourself that your ultralight mindset is in any way LNT or responsible.

Point 6 - I had a lot of fun explaining to my Scouts about the smear method for use above treeline and arid areas. Certainly it has fallen out of favor and mostly has been replaced by wagbags... but they though it was worth talking about. Go figure.

Another Kevin
11-21-2016, 16:18
Point 6 - I had a lot of fun explaining to my Scouts about the smear method for use above treeline and arid areas. Certainly it has fallen out of favor and mostly has been replaced by wagbags... but they though it was worth talking about. Go figure.

Also when the ground is frozen so hard that you'd need a jackhammer to dig a proper hole.

rocketsocks
11-21-2016, 17:07
Once I pooped in a tree stump.

saltysack
11-21-2016, 17:12

A good rotting stump or log is primo...just watch out for spiders and snakes.....[emoji23]

poolskaterx
11-21-2016, 21:12

:jump

ha,ha!

Sarcasm the elf
11-21-2016, 21:26

At least it wasn't a geocache.

rocketsocks
11-21-2016, 21:55
At least it wasn't a geocache.next time I see ya I'll have to tell ya a story, it wouldn't be appropriate here...even for me! :D

rocketsocks
11-21-2016, 21:57
A good rotting stump or log is primo...just watch out for spiders and snakes.....[emoji23]

...and please don't forget to flush
(step on it)

rocketsocks
11-21-2016, 21:58
Once I pooped in a tree stump....i hope no one was home.

saltysack
11-21-2016, 22:20
...i hope no one was home.

There's a brown ground squirrel in Lyle canyon in the Sierra!!!! Poor thing sure hope he had another exit.....[emoji51]

lesliedgray
01-21-2017, 11:03
Deuce of Spades is cheaper (what I carry)
I am an Ultralighter by the way, but still feel the very small weight penalty is worth it.
These trowels are much more effective than using a stick/rock/trekking pole.
With a weight of 0.5 oz it barely makes a difference!

I believe Walmart has lightweight plastic garden trowels for around or under a buck and they pretty much weigh nothing.. they also have a " hanging hole" in the handle that a carabiner would go through..

G-FOURce
01-21-2017, 11:54

Does anyone else pack out soiled TP? I carry this stuff with me:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000TV59EC/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1485013861&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=rv+toilet+paper&dpPl=1&dpID=51IictGExTL&ref=plSrch

I never pack out TP. If the ground is too hard to dig an adequate hole (I have a QiWiz Ti trowel) then I'll spread it, hide it as best I can, including the TP. I have never made a "bad job" anywhere except off trail and out of sight.

johnspenn
01-21-2017, 13:07
"Deuce of Spades" wins the prize for most appropriate and original title for similar implements.

Sarcasm the elf
01-21-2017, 13:12
https://youtu.be/FB22G-PPd-0

Elaikases
01-21-2017, 13:16
Skurka is an advocate of the heel method. It might work in areas covered with years worth of pine needle duff, but not so much in soil with tree roots and stones. I carry the Deuce of Spades and it works well, in situation of really tough digging, I will put on my Mechanics gloves since the edges are thin.

From my small section hikes I can't see how he was able to do it with a heel. I used a wide tent peg and for Christmas was given a Deuce of Spades. The specialized tent peg (which is aimed at use in sand and such) was barely adequate, I can't see how anyone is able to get through the hard dirt in places with a heel or a hiking pole.

rocketsocks
01-21-2017, 15:01
Using a heel will put a whoopin' on the knees

Steppin'Wolf
01-22-2017, 08:29
Kevin I believe you are required to quote the bible any time you are posting on this subject. :D

I'll answer that request:

From the book of Deuteronomy (in which Moses is informing the children of Israel on sanitation practices): "Designate a place outside the camp where you can go to relieve yourself. As part of your equipment have something to dig with, and when you relieve yourself, dig a hole and cover up your excrement." (Deuteronomy 23:12-13)

I know you were being sarcastic, but it is interesting to note that thousands of years ago, this was considered proper sanitation practice.

Secondmouse
01-22-2017, 13:29

not when you got a turtle poking it's head out...

Deacon
01-22-2017, 15:33
I believe Walmart has lightweight plastic garden trowels for around or under a buck and they pretty much weigh nothing.. they also have a " hanging hole" in the handle that a carabiner would go through..

IMHO, I can pretty much guarantee that a plastic trowel that weighs nearly nothing won't stand up to the first hole dug. I have yet to see soil that isn't laced with rocks and roots. Cat holes requires a sharp, tough implement such as the deuce of spades or QiWiz' Big Dig. Sharp Titanium.

zelph
01-22-2017, 16:37
Tupperware rocks.......

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Tupperware-Rocker-Round-Bottom-Sugar-Flour-Scoops-Choose-From-Vintage-Colors-/252564244376?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

Secondmouse
01-22-2017, 16:53
Tupperware rocks.......

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Tupperware-Rocker-Round-Bottom-Sugar-Flour-Scoops-Choose-From-Vintage-Colors-/252564244376?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

you're saying a tupperware flour scoop will cut through roots and dislodge rocks in the soil? what section of the AT doe this work on? ..

zelph
01-22-2017, 17:08
you're saying a tupperware flour scoop will cut through roots and dislodge rocks in the soil? what section of the AT doe this work on? ..

Same place the heel of a boot will dig a hole.

One Half
01-22-2017, 17:15
Does anyone else pack out soiled TP? I carry this stuff with me:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000TV59EC/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1485013861&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=rv+toilet+paper&dpPl=1&dpID=51IictGExTL&ref=plSrch

I never pack out TP. If the ground is too hard to dig an adequate hole (I have a QiWiz Ti trowel) then I'll spread it, hide it as best I can, including the TP. I have never made a "bad job" anywhere except off trail and out of sight.

LNT. pack it out

ScareBear
01-22-2017, 17:20
LNT. pack it out

What about incineration?

Sarcasm the elf
01-22-2017, 17:22
What about incineration?

No longer recommended. Multiple forest fires have been started by people trying to burn TP.

(I wish I was joking)

devoidapop
01-22-2017, 17:34
I'm surprised nobody has claimed to use a McFlurry spoon yet. I can't imagine a boot dug hole was much more than a 4"x2" scratch in the dirt with some leaves tossed over for good measure.

Secondmouse
01-23-2017, 12:21
I'm surprised nobody has claimed to use a McFlurry spoon yet. I can't imagine a boot dug hole was much more than a 4"x2" scratch in the dirt with some leaves tossed over for good measure.

horses for courses. in loamy or sandy soil with a lot of duff you can do pretty well. in root and rock infested soil, which is more than common at elevation in the Appalachian mountains, not so much...

KDogg
01-23-2017, 12:22
Sometimes I think I was on a different trail than all of you. I almost never got a six inch hole dug and was using a deuce of spades. The ground is full of rock and roots. EVERYONE I talked to out there admitted that they could not get a proper hold dug either. I got well off the trail, did the best I could with a hole, covered it up with dirt and leaves and left a couple twigs in a cross on top.

Secondmouse
01-23-2017, 12:42
Same place the heel of a boot will dig a hole.

yeah, not very many I'm afraid. people regularly break trowels, it's not like garden soil up there.

I like the black and orange glass-filled nylon Fiskars gardening trowel. it's light, really cheap and durable. you can even sharpen the edge if it gets dull. perfect...

zelph
01-23-2017, 20:55
Use pure cellulose toilet paper. Water easily dissolves it. Pee on it and it's gone :-)

http://www.essentialsupplies.ie/products/paper-products/toilet-tissue-pure-cellulose-paper/

Traveler
01-24-2017, 08:59
Sometimes I think I was on a different trail than all of you. I almost never got a six inch hole dug and was using a deuce of spades. The ground is full of rock and roots. EVERYONE I talked to out there admitted that they could not get a proper hold dug either. I got well off the trail, did the best I could with a hole, covered it up with dirt and leaves and left a couple twigs in a cross on top.

And for this exact reason I never trust water sources that trap or are energized by rain run off.

lesliedgray
01-24-2017, 10:20
yeah, not very many I'm afraid. people regularly break trowels, it's not like garden soil up there.

I like the black and orange glass-filled nylon Fiskars gardening trowel. it's light, really cheap and durable. you can even sharpen the edge if it gets dull. perfect...

This is the one I was referring to, that came from Walmart.. the handle tip used to be orange, but i can't see a name in it anywhere.. i obviously don't know chit from shinola, but i would have thought it to be sturdy enough

lesliedgray
01-24-2017, 10:22
This is the one I was referring to, that came from Walmart.. the handle tip used to be orange, but i can't see a name in it anywhere.. i obviously don't know chit from shinola, but i would have thought it to be sturdy enough

lesliedgray
01-24-2017, 10:23
Well, i guess my phone has decided not to let me post pictures today

Turk6177
01-24-2017, 22:32
May work well on the soft ground of a lot of the AT, but I really needed my deuce of spades on the JMT because it was so rocky and the ground was hard.

QiWiz
01-25-2017, 16:39
LNT. pack it out

An alternative method of dealing with TP is the poup soup technique, that I learned from Charlie Thorpe, LNT Master Educator:

After depositing waste and TP / materials into the cathole,

use a sturdy stick (not your trowel) to mix all of this with some loose soil,
then add a cup or so of water* and mix again.

The TP, soil, and feces should not be recognizable as such once thoroughly mixed in this soup. The thorough mixing of all of the cathole contents with soil and water will speed decomposition, make animal digging less likely, and will completely avoid the “TP flower” problem.
* there is some disagreement as to how essential it really is to add water to the mix,
but if you can spare some, it does speed the mixing process

blw2
01-25-2017, 17:12
maybe a dumb question, but how about burning the tp down in the hole? Can't say I've done it, but have thought about it when considering the dig up TP Flower

la.lindsey
01-25-2017, 17:20
maybe a dumb question, but how about burning the tp down in the hole? Can't say I've done it, but have thought about it when considering the dig up TP Flower

Please burn your used TP and report back on how that goes.

soumodeler
01-25-2017, 19:33

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkPlease don't start a forest fire...

Sarcasm the elf
01-25-2017, 20:14

Please don't start a forest fire...

In a couple of minutes of searching and I came up with more than a dozen stories of wildfires started by people burnig Toilet Paper. Some resulted in criminal charges.

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/cyclist-sparked-fire-by-burning-used-toilet-paper/

http://wildfiretoday.com/tag/toilet-paper/

http://wildfiretoday.com/2011/10/30/texas-man-admits-to-starting-fire-by-burning-toilet-paper/

http://wildfiretoday.com/2012/01/01/large-fire-in-national-park-in-chile-may-have-started-from-burning-toilet-paper/

http://wildfiretoday.com/2014/11/12/woman-burns-toilet-paper-starts-fire-is-given-suspended-sentence/

la.lindsey
01-25-2017, 21:21
In a couple of minutes of searching and I came up with more than a dozen stories of wildfires started by people burnig Toilet Paper. Some resulted in criminal charges.

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/cyclist-sparked-fire-by-burning-used-toilet-paper/

http://wildfiretoday.com/tag/toilet-paper/

http://wildfiretoday.com/2011/10/30/texas-man-admits-to-starting-fire-by-burning-toilet-paper/

http://wildfiretoday.com/2012/01/01/large-fire-in-national-park-in-chile-may-have-started-from-burning-toilet-paper/

http://wildfiretoday.com/2014/11/12/woman-burns-toilet-paper-starts-fire-is-given-suspended-sentence/

Oh come on. It's in a hole, surrounded by dirt, pee, and poop, and covered in excrement. I don't think this would be how the forest fire starts.

I was referring to the horrible smell that would result from burning used TP, and don't think that anyone would actually want to burn used TP, but thanks, saints of WB!

Midwest Mike
01-25-2017, 21:57
Two questions:

(1) anyone see a downside to this except cost? Sounds like a really good solution I never thought of.

(2) anybody know where this might be widely available at retail? The link looks like the firm only sells wholesale and a couple of minutes of googling didn't turn up too much in terms of amazon etc.

Thanks!

Use pure cellulose toilet paper. Water easily dissolves it. Pee on it and it's gone :-)

http://www.essentialsupplies.ie/products/paper-products/toilet-tissue-pure-cellulose-paper/

devoidapop
01-25-2017, 22:12
[QUOTE=Midwest Mike;2122091]Two questions:

(1) anyone see a downside to this except cost? Sounds like a really good solution I never thought of.

(2) anybody know where this might be widely available at retail? The link looks like the firm only sells wholesale and a couple of minutes of googling didn't turn up too much in terms of amazon etc.

Thanks!

[QUOTE=zelph;2121574]Use pure cellulose toilet paper. Water easily dissolves it. Pee on it and it's gone.

If it dissolves in water, how do you wipe in the rain? I know this has been addressed as a problem with regular tp, so can only imagine with cellulose tp.

Secondmouse
01-26-2017, 03:59

I wasn't clear. people break the Coughlans solid orange one regularly.

the black Fiskars with orange handle tip is very sturdy and digs well. it is glass-filled nylon, it can even be sharpened. $2-3 locally...

lesliedgray
01-26-2017, 04:05

the black Fiskars with orange handle tip is very sturdy and digs well. it is glass-filled nylon, it can even be sharpened. $2-3 locally...

Yes! That is the one I have.. mine is just faded from the sun. I thought that it should be sturdy enough.....

Traveler
01-26-2017, 08:55
Oh come on. It's in a hole, surrounded by dirt, pee, and poop, and covered in excrement. I don't think this would be how the forest fire starts.

Toilet paper, much like recently fallen leaves get lighter as they quickly burn, even a small flame will produce heat that lifts the still burning material into the air where it merges with whatever breeze or wind is blowing and starts the process. Of course not every TP burning is accompanied by a forest fire however the evidence that there have been fires started by TP burning is irrefutable. Why risk it when one can take a few minutes to dig a proper cat hole and dispose of their waste to protect human health and not blight the sides of the trail.

ScareBear
01-26-2017, 09:03
Toilet paper, much like recently fallen leaves get lighter as they quickly burn, even a small flame will produce heat that lifts the still burning material into the air where it merges with whatever breeze or wind is blowing and starts the process. Of course not every TP burning is accompanied by a forest fire however the evidence that there have been fires started by TP burning is irrefutable. Why risk it when one can take a few minutes to dig a proper cat hole and dispose of their waste to protect human health and not blight the sides of the trail.

This thread brought back memories of international travel from my younger days...

In many third-world countries, the toilet waste doesn't include the TP. The TP goes into a can. What do you suppose happens to the TP in the can?

Secondmouse
01-26-2017, 19:08
This thread brought back memories of international travel from my younger days...

In many third-world countries, the toilet waste doesn't include the TP. The TP goes into a can. What do you suppose happens to the TP in the can?

taken out to the woods along the AT and burned on a windy ridge amidst leaves and other forest duff?..

Midwest Mike
01-26-2017, 23:56
[QUOTE=Midwest Mike;2122091]Two questions:

Thanks!

[QUOTE=zelph;2121574]Use pure cellulose toilet paper. Water easily dissolves it. Pee on it and it's gone.

If it dissolves in water, how do you wipe in the rain? I know this has been addressed as a problem with regular tp, so can only imagine with cellulose tp.

Well, that would certainly be a downside :-)

ScareBear
01-27-2017, 06:40
taken out to the woods along the AT and burned on a windy ridge amidst leaves and other forest duff?..

LOL!

Close. Burnt is the correct answer...

Traveler
01-27-2017, 07:49

Good thing the AT doesn't go through any third world nations yet!

ScareBear
01-27-2017, 09:36
Good thing the AT doesn't go through any third world nations yet!

Ummmm.....West Virginia....just sayin....

rocketsocks
01-27-2017, 09:59

I was referring to the horrible smell that would result from burning used TP, and don't think that anyone would actually want to burn used TP, but thanks, saints of WB!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkdirt in the woods is largely organic material called duff, that rooty mass of a rug comprising the first few inches you dug through to make your hole...not only does it burn, it can smolder unnoticed for hours, long after the hiker has left the area.

martinb
01-27-2017, 12:36

I'll check that Fiskars out. My Coughlans cracked last trip. Lasted a good while and did it's dooty well.

HooKooDooKu
08-14-2018, 11:03
Resurrecting this old thread because of something related I can't believe I came across for only the 1st time today...

For the God-fearing among us... The Lord has instructed us to carry a trowel:

Deuteronomy 23:13 (NIV) "As part of your equipment have something to dig with, and when you relieve yourself, dig a hole and cover up your excrement."

Berserker
08-14-2018, 12:04
Resurrecting this old thread because of something related I can't believe I came across for only the 1st time today...

For the God-fearing among us... The Lord has instructed us to carry a trowel:

Deuteronomy 23:13 (NIV) "As part of your equipment have something to dig with, and when you relieve yourself, dig a hole and cover up your excrement."
Dangit, you beat me to it. I've been reading the one year bible on my phone and ran across this earlier this year. I was just waiting on a good time to post it.

HooKooDooKu
08-14-2018, 12:16
Dangit, you beat me to it. I've been reading the one year bible on my phone and ran across this earlier this year. I was just waiting on a good time to post it.
I came across this old thread today while doing a few google searches. I've been considering if you want to replace my 3.5oz Sea-to-Summit aluminum trowel with either the Deuce of Spades, or QiWiz's Titanium trowel (http://qiwiz.net/trowels.html).
My biggest concern is that I still have problems getting a proper cat-hole dug in GSMNP (roots) even after sharpening my S2S to a fine point. It's handle means I have a good grip, but these thin light weight trowels only have thinness going for them in getting thru roots... but less of a handle to protect your hands when you want to use some force.

capehiker
08-14-2018, 12:19
I came across this old thread today while doing a few google searches. I've been considering if you want to replace my 3.5oz Sea-to-Summit aluminum trowel with either the Deuce of Spades, or QiWiz's Titanium trowel (http://qiwiz.net/trowels.html).
My biggest concern is that I still have problems getting a proper cat-hole dug in GSMNP (roots) even after sharpening my S2S to a fine point. It's handle means I have a good grip, but these thin light weight trowels only have thinness going for them in getting thru roots... but less of a handle to protect your hands when you want to use some force.

I have both QiWiz and the Duece. I really like QiWiz’s trowel as the titanium is very thin but strong and makes it easier to get into the ground.

Edit: Ha! Just went back and read the thread and sure enough in post #12 I said pretty much the same thing. Lol.

HooKooDooKu
08-14-2018, 13:46
I have both QiWiz and the Duece. I really like QiWiz’s trowel as the titanium is very thin but strong and makes it easier to get into the ground.

Edit: Ha! Just went back and read the thread and sure enough in post #12 I said pretty much the same thing. Lol.
Yea... some of what I'm saying in post #93 above mirrors statements I made in post #6...
But thanks for the reminder... at least one vote for QiWiz over Deuce from someone with experience with both.

grubbster
08-14-2018, 18:20
Lawson is making a trowel now for a great price. It is a bit heavy but that sucker is stout. Also easy on the hands. http://lawsonequipment.com/Potty-Trowel-p1126.html

madgoat
08-16-2018, 13:30
I'm on my second QiWiz Big Dig and could not be happier. As has been stated already in this thread, the thin cutting edge really does a great job on roots and hard packed dirt/clay. I have been using one in the Smokies/Virginia/Ohio for many years now and could not be happier. If the tool dipped handle end starts to bug me after a few days, I wrap a bandana around the handle. But I have only done that a couple of times.

What happened to my first Big Dig? Well, it was accidently left up at campsite #13 in the GSMNP after taking care of business when a nasty storm was blowing in. Somebody found a gift when they went out to dig their own hole.