PDA

View Full Version : tent stakes

greensleep
11-19-2016, 13:41
I'm planning on using my Zpacks duplex tent on my attempt at a thruhike next year. Setting up in the soft/sandy soil of Florida where I live shows me that my 6" to 8" v shaped stakes don't hold in heavy wind nor even if I'm just adjusting lines. Anyone have any suggestions for soft ground stakes, or will I probably not have to worry about this on the AT?

-Rush-
11-19-2016, 13:45
The MSR Groundhog/Mini Groundhog stakes are all I use. Never had an issue with them along the southern AT.

cmoulder
11-19-2016, 14:03
For my Duplex I use 2 Groundhogs for the ridgeline and Lawson Ti shepherd hooks (http://lawsonequipment.com/Titanium-Tent-Stake-6-5-p883.html) (6.5") for the rest.

I don't know about FL sand.

FreeGoldRush
11-19-2016, 14:07
I'm planning on using my Zpacks duplex tent on my attempt at a thruhike next year. Setting up in the soft/sandy soil of Florida where I live shows me that my 6" to 8" v shaped stakes don't hold in heavy wind nor even if I'm just adjusting lines. Anyone have any suggestions for soft ground stakes, or will I probably not have to worry about this on the AT?

There's soft ground on the AT? It may be there somewhere but that isn't something I was planning for.

Starchild
11-19-2016, 14:07
I used the small thin Ti shephard stakes for my 2013 thru with a z-pack heximid. There were a few times where I had to find a rock or log to hold one down, but really it is something easy to do on the AT when it is needed, so you can get away with those. I would consider replacing maybe 2 of them with minigroundhog stakes, as it is usually one critical stake that you are having trouble with, not all of them. The mini groundhog has plenty of bite.

Time Zone
11-19-2016, 14:15
There's soft ground on the AT? It may be there somewhere but that isn't something I was planning for.

I know. The cumberland trail area is rock-hard. Who knows what conditions will be like in the spring. OP will need to check and perhaps be ready to be flexible with cord, natural anchors, and so forth. That said, I'm unaware of any of the AT being Florida-sandy.

Time Zone
11-19-2016, 14:28
Anyone have any suggestions for soft ground stakes, or will I probably not have to worry about this on the AT?

P.S., I do carry an REI snow stake as a trowel. It could serve a dual purpose for sandy soil ... but I only carry one of them. If you really needed stakes for soft ground, you could carry two* of these and some of your V-ones.

* Do any non-freestanding tents only require 1 stake?

bigcranky
11-19-2016, 18:53
Not something to worry about. More likely you'll have problems getting the stakes into the %#^%^&$# rocky hard soil.

nsherry61
11-19-2016, 21:54
. . .Setting up in the soft/sandy soil of Florida where I live shows me that my 6" to 8" v shaped stakes don't hold in heavy wind nor even if I'm just adjusting lines. Anyone have any suggestions for soft ground stakes, or will I probably not have to worry about this on the AT?
As mostly touched on above.
1) You are unlikely to run into truly soft/sandy soil in most places.
2) A good sized rock on top of the key stakes is generally quite effective at holding stakes in soft soil. Actually, place the rock just forward of the stake on the guy line is best in many cases. Also, longer guy lines hold better because they pull at a lower angle.
3) Carrying a variety of stakes is often a great idea. One or two groundhog stakes for one or two key guy points. Some titanium shepherd hooks or maybe even some aluminum gutter spikes for getting penetration in hard rocky soils. One gutter spike to "pre-drill" the soil for other stakes works quite well in hard/rocky soil. I like the ultra-light v-stakes for average conditions. Just don't think your tent needs to be staked out with all the same stakes at all the guy points in all different ground conditions.
4) In extremely soft sand/snow conditions, various dead-man type staking techniques can work very well whether burying your stakes sideways or using bits of sticks or rocks, dead-men can work wonders.
5) In soft soils, or anyplace else for that matter, an elastic shock absorber (rubber band or elastic cord) added to your guy lines dramatically reduces the load on your stakes, significantly reducing the likelihood of stakes pulling out or tents tearing in high winds.

greensleep
11-19-2016, 22:03
Thanks to all who responded to this inquiry. I'm better prepared now.

bgillomega
11-20-2016, 00:22
Get a free standing tent that doesn't require stakes or has minimal need(for the fly). They set up easier you don't have to worry about the ground as much. There are plenty of UL options out there.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Puddlefish
11-20-2016, 10:43
Like others have said, hard ground is the norm. A few nights, I was only able to get the stake in a few inches, and had to grab some ten pound rocks to pin it down. Fortunately, when you find a tent site that's pure rock, there will be big rocks lying around that others have used previously for the same purpose.

Old Hiker
11-20-2016, 12:11
I bought these in 2014: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008915DQ8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Not just for our FL sandy soils, but for my AT hike as well. Worked great both places in VERY heavy winds. \

Painted the tops with bright red paint to make them more visible.

MuddyWaters
11-20-2016, 13:10
As long as rocks and logs are available, stakes are not an issue

Thin ti Skewers are easier to get into rocky soil.

Secondmouse
11-20-2016, 13:59

the AT is not FL...

shelterbuilder
11-20-2016, 14:52
Also, if push comes to shove, you can always use some of your extra paracord to guy directly to a large rock (instead of trying to drive a stake into hard ground). I find that tying a small bowline on each end of the cord lets me make (almost) instant connections with any loop or upright pole, and by pulling the cord back through the loop of the bowline, you can get a good grip around almost any adequately-sized rock at the other end of the line. (For those of us who aren't really good with knots, think about "the rabbit, the hole, and the tree": make a small loop with the cord ("the hole"), let the excess cord ("the tree") dangle away from you, take the end of the cord ("the rabbit"), and then just follow the rabbit -- "the rabbit runs out of the hole, runs around the back of the tree, and runs down the hole again". Pull the knot tight, leaving a loop at the end, and there you are!!) [You do carry extra paracord, don't you?]

swisscross
11-20-2016, 16:18
I prefer a mix of different type stakes.
A couple of nails, Eastons are nice...ti hooks, Lawson/Dutch and I have a groundhog I found.
Varied soils require different stakes. I carry one ti nail as an extra.

greensleep
11-22-2016, 19:55
the AT is not FL...

You're kidding

Old Hiker
11-22-2016, 21:32
You're kidding

Nope - never saw a single gator. Or a married one, either.

Engine
11-23-2016, 06:27
When I ordered our Triplex from Zpacks, I also got the carbon fiber stakes...but it's been awhile since I've been up on the AT and I forgot how "concrete like" some of the tent spots can be. Now I'm wondering if the stakes will survive without shattering...

Zed
11-23-2016, 07:53
... Now I'm wondering if the stakes will survive without shattering...

I got the carbon fiber stakes with my altaplex for my Colorado Trail hike. On the first night out, I absent-mindedly picked up a rock to drive a stake... It splintered immediately. [emoji36]

poolskaterx
11-26-2016, 17:44
I have the carbon stakes but bring 3 regular ground hogs for my ridge line and to pre-poke holes for the carbon if needed. Do not pound on the carbon!!! You can beat on the ground hogs reliably!

rocketsocks
11-26-2016, 23:07
I have a couple long knitting needles for snow stakes

MuddyWaters
11-26-2016, 23:20
I have the carbon stakes but bring 3 regular ground hogs for my ridge line and to pre-poke holes for the carbon if needed. Do not pound on the carbon!!! You can beat on the ground hogs reliably!

I take it one step further, dont pound on any stake. Push into ground with toe of shoe if necessary. If it dont go in, just put a rock on it. Stakes hammered in, dont always come out easy. Rocks chip when used as hammers and can get in someones eye potentially if others around.

Rhughesnc
04-23-2017, 21:51
Good info. Thanks for the post

Pollt
05-22-2017, 09:51
I use Coleman 10-In. Steel Nail Tent Stakes! They are good:cool:

Deacon
05-22-2017, 10:30
I've always used the 6.5" shepherds stakes (like pins) but have never hammered/pounded them in. If I can't push them in the ground, I don't use them. In that cast I'll tie off to a rock or branch.

cmoulder
05-22-2017, 10:46
I agree that Ti shepherd hooks shouldn't be hammered or pounded, but you can tap them with a rock and see what happens, and then tap maybe a bit more vigorously just to get a feel for their limits. If you're in an area with shale, oftentimes a little bit of tapping will actually split the rock and the stake will go in all the way. Or if you poke around and find a crack, tapping on the stake can open the crack a bit more and permit the stake to go in.

If you do happen to bend a Ti stake, they can be straightened out surprisingly easily by hand (along the length, not the hook part!)

I find that the Lawson Ti stakes (http://lawsonequipment.com/Titanium-Tent-Stake-6-5-p883.html) (same ones I linked above) are really superior due to the slight increase in diameter and the much smaller radius of the hook part.

Bansko
05-30-2017, 08:45
There is no magic stake; carry a variety.

lonehiker
05-30-2017, 10:17
I don't know what type of stake I use (MSR?). They are all the same length, are not particularly light, but they are sturdy. I've used them in about every type of environment (AT, PCT, Rocky Mountains). I've found that a good sized rock shores up any poorly anchored stake.

Tipi Walter
05-30-2017, 11:13
Get a free standing tent that doesn't require stakes or has minimal need(for the fly). They set up easier you don't have to worry about the ground as much. There are plenty of UL options out there.

All tents require stakes. Free standing is a misnomer. One good gust as you go off to dig a cathole and the tent is upside down in a briar patch or in the creek.

Venchka
05-30-2017, 14:38

What planet are you from?
No tent is free staying.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jefals
05-30-2017, 15:10
Hey, if you've hit rock-hard soil - and not actual rock- you can pour a little water, dig a little with the stake, a little more water, a little more digging -- should work. Obviously, you gotta be somewhere where you can afford to use your water this way...

Venchka
05-30-2017, 18:01
Hey, if you've hit rock-hard soil - and not actual rock- you can pour a little water, dig a little with the stake, a little more water, a little more digging -- should work. Obviously, you gotta be somewhere where you can afford to use your water this way...

Thanks for figuring that out Jeff. We didn't use enough water to make it a problem.
Wayne

jefals
05-30-2017, 18:06
right. not to mention the fact that we were also 3 feet away from a faucet.?

Venchka
05-30-2017, 18:59
Picky. [emoji106][emoji41][emoji1]
Wayne

SusanLeo
01-12-2018, 11:30

Hello, greensleep

You can use TNH Outdoors Aluminum stakes (https://enjoythewild.com/best-tent-stakes/#tab-con-2) for soft soil. Or, Vargo Titanium stake (https://enjoythewild.com/best-tent-stakes/#tab-con-4) for all soil conditions.

Franco
01-12-2018, 17:21
no need for stinking stakes

Franco
01-12-2018, 17:25
BTW, freestanding tents are more fun

Elaikases
01-12-2018, 20:12

I've only done a few section hikes so far, but haven't found any myself. ;)