PDA

View Full Version : Roads closed! Now what?

snowlover
01-16-2006, 09:54
My father and I just moved to the Tennessee side of the Smokey Mountains from Connecticut. We really miss the snow! This past weekend we drove up to the Smokies in hopes to see some snow, but most of the roads were closed with less then a half inch accumulation! Does anyone have any suggestions as to the best place to access the higher elevations in an event like this? We are really only amateur hikers, but are willing to learn the skills to do more intensive hikes. Any input would be greatly appriciated!

kyhipo
01-16-2006, 10:14
might consider going to pigeon forge i hope i spelled it right,and getting a ride up to the AT or some simular situation,ky

Max Power
01-16-2006, 10:22
If you are doing a day hike, to my knowledge, there isn't much of a solution. If you are going for a couple of days then you can go around the Smokies to Davenport or Fontana Village and get on the AT.
My dad and I went to the Smokies in January. We were dropped off at Newfound Gap an hiked towards the Chimneys where we were to be picked up. During our hike the roads were closed and the family couldn't pick us up. They sent up a police cruiser to shuttle us out. We are tall guys and the back seats aren't too spacious.
The experience made for a good story.

walkingbear
01-16-2006, 10:22
Hello Snowlover,
I live in Pigeon Forge and do alot of hikes into the GSM, dont let the road closures get you, there are alot of trails you can still get to, and with ease you can get to the higher elevations, If you need some help give me a yell, and drop me a line.

springerfever
01-16-2006, 10:54
Just got back yesterday from an overnighter in the Smokies. Parked at Smokemont campground..started on the Bradley Fork trail...destination : Kephart shelter (about 10 miles). Yesterday morning hiked down the Kephart Prong trail to 441(two miles). I knew 441 was closed due to no traffic, except for a sand truck that was nice enough to give me a ride back down to Smokemont (about 3 miles).Saw some spectacular scenery and snow was 6-8 inches and drifts up to about a foot. Great hiking !!

On the other side of the park, there are some great hikes out of the Cosby area that will get you up to some elevation. Cosby Knob shelter is a good overnight trip. Just remember snow drifts and unsure footing will slow you down quite a bit....I generally cut my normal mileage in half. Also some sort of crampon is a good idea. Didn't have to use my Yaktrax on this hike, it was all fresh snow !!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-16-2006, 14:04
Snowlover - go south down Highway 411 (toward Loudon County) until it intersects Highway 68 near Madisonville. Head towards Tellico Plains on Highway 68 to the signs marking the turn onto the Cherohala Parkway (just past Tellico Cafe on left). Those mountains usually get more snow than the Smokies and they almost never close the road.

Seeker
01-17-2006, 11:27
I was born and raised in Syracuse, NY. I lived in Knoxville for 7 years. The mere threat of snow there will close things, and some roads in the mountains are closed for the season (Newfound Gap to Clingmans, eg.) This is due in part to the fact that there is simply no snow removal equipment. (that goes with the nice low taxes.) The only road salted is I-40, and everything else is left to the sun. Most people stay home until it clears, and most who are on the roads can't really drive in it. Without the salt/sand mix, it's incredibly dangerous to be out in, even if it weren't for the other drivers. Even a dusting will turn to ice in a way that wouldn't occur up north, so please be careful.

cls
01-17-2006, 19:23
If you can get to the Cades Cove area it's a short walk up to the AT at Spence Field. Turn north on the AT to Rockytop and Thunderhead Mtn. Great views and very likely snow.

DavidNH
01-17-2006, 23:00
i often chuckle at how easily they seem to shut things down with the slightest hint of snow in the south. A half inch snow closes roads in the smokeys? Couple years back I remember hearing on tv how the city of Atlanta was more or less shut down for a couple days due to....seven inches of snow. Seven inches!! Kinda like how those Floridians start to shiver when the temperature gets down to all of oh 60 degrees in January!! those poor things!:jump

Up here..you can have two feet of snow.. and you are still expected to get to work!

David

Gray Blazer
01-18-2006, 13:45
If we get a tenth of an inch of snow they close the highways in FL. No snow removal equipment! It only happens about once every 20 or 30 years. The highway over Roan mountain is usually open in the snow. At least every time I've been there.

Fiddler
01-18-2006, 14:27
I have lived close to Chicago for 50 years now. I used to absolutely love going back to Alabama (my original home) for a short vacation during the middle of winter and I would pray for snow while I was there. If snow came I would go into town and park on one of the busier streets and sit there for a couple hours just watching people drive (or trying to). Them hillbillies couldn't go 10 feet on flat ground without bumping into each other.

Gray Blazer
01-18-2006, 14:29
i often chuckle at how easily they seem to shut things down with the slightest hint of snow in the south. A half inch snow closes roads in the smokeys? Couple years back I remember hearing on tv how the city of Atlanta was more or less shut down for a couple days due to....seven inches of snow. Seven inches!! Kinda like how those Floridians start to shiver when the temperature gets down to all of oh 60 degrees in January!! those poor things!:jump

Up here..you can have two feet of snow.. and you are still expected to get to work!

David

Supposed to get down to 27 tonight in Gainesville, FL.

Seeker
01-18-2006, 16:32

David

there are only 17 snowplows in all of East Tennessee. Most of them are dedicated to keeping the I-40 and I-75 corridors open. when snow is predicted, they spray the interstate with some sort of saltwater solution, but the rest of the area has to wait for the sun. Snow falling on pavement without salt turns to ice, and i've seen cars get stuck after only an inch. with NO sand or gravel, it is impossible to travel. not a matter of will, but a matter of safety. i found it cheaper to shut my service business down for 2-3 days rather than risk an accident/lawsuit/hurt employee.