PDA

View Full Version : Gear shakedown results

Engine
11-21-2016, 14:20
Since it finally got cold enough this weekend to test some new gear we got for our 2017 thru-hike attempt, I though I would share some thoughts regarding what was good and what wasn't.

Conditions - 32* with dew point of 32 and calm wind.

The Good:

Me (6'0", 200 pounds) -

Enlightened Equipment Revelation 20* quilt: Very warm wearing lightweight Patagonia top & bottom base layer and socks with a thin DIY fleece liner. I felt I could have slept another 5* colder without adding any more clothes and maybe 15-20* colder with a stocking cap, fleece pullover, and down vest.

Granite Gear 1/8" foam pad: Used this under my Themarest Neoair Xlite short pad. It kept the pad from moving and with my legs hanging off the short pad, my feet and lower legs were still comfortable at less than 35*. I do realize that it had been over 60* most of the day and the ground was not the hard frigid slab I might experience on the trail.

My wife (5'2", 108 pounds) -

Enlightened Equipment Revelation 10* quilt: She is normally a COLD sleeper who almost never says she's warm enough, but she was able to stay comfortable with a thin base layer, socks, down puffy and stocking cap. She stated this morning she felt like she could have slept in the low 20* range and stayed comfortable. So, her quilt is probably rated 10* too warm for her real world temps, but that's typical for many women.

She used the same Granite Gear pad I did under her Thermarest Women's Neoair Xlite and she said she loved it.

The Bad:

One of the snaps on my brand new EE quilt failed 10 minutes after being fastened. I do not blame EE for this as I realize probably I should have ordered the wide instead of the regular, since when I rolled over my shoulders put too much strain on the snap. I was a bit annoyed the product failed instead of just unfastening, but a quick phone call to EE customer service today and they are sending 4-5 snaps and the tool to install them. So I can say their customer service was outstanding.

I'm not 25 anymore and more comfort is required than I can achieve from a short Neoair with my legs hanging off. That and the fact the thing seems closer to 16" wide than 20" when inflated...I must have rolled off it a dozen times last night. I ordered a new Nemo Insulated Mummy Tensor this morning. Anyone want a short Neoair with only 7 hours of use?

Tarptent Motrail: Okay, I REALLY wanted to like this tent. I bought the Motrail after seriously considering a Zpacks tent and deciding to give Tarptent one more shot after we sold our Double Rainbow because the "bathtub" floor would occasionally let in more rain splash than we wanted to tolerate. Otherwise, I liked the DR, so we tried the Motrail with a better bathtub floor and similar interior dimensions. Last night I remembered what a pain it was to enter and exit through a small front opening...like our old Sierra Designs Clip Flashlight. Also, I know what the numbers say, but the interior of the Motrail feels much smaller than the DR did and there is NO room for gear. So, I took advantage of the current Zpacks sale and ordered the Triplex...The Motrail will make someone a really nice and roomy 1 person shelter...but too snug for 2 people in our opinion.

BTW, the DIY fleece bag liners made from 100% poly fleece throws which were $2.50 in the sale bin at Walmart were a huge surprise. They added a bunch of warmth and comfort while weighing only 9 ounces.

egilbe
11-21-2016, 14:47
https://www.rei.com/product/896427/exped-synmat-hyperlite-duo-sleeping-pad

no more falling off pads

saltysack
11-21-2016, 15:45

no more falling off pads

Great....so when it leaks you both suffer![emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

poolskaterx
11-21-2016, 15:46
All the positive reviews help on the quilt decision, thanks for the insight; still a little skeptical. It's a big purchase...

theinfamousj
11-21-2016, 15:52
I will jump in here and say that I share his wife's height and tendency toward coldness (right now I am sitting in a 69*F house wearing two layers, sheep fur boots, and my hands are chilly) and I *love* my quilt. Mine is a JacksRBetter Sierra Sniveler. Quilts are absolutely the way to go.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

saltysack
11-21-2016, 17:09
All the positive reviews help on the quilt decision, thanks for the insight; still a little skeptical. It's a big purchase...

Buy now with EE discount...I love my 20* enigma....but if you sleep cold I'd get 10*.....

Engine
11-21-2016, 19:31

no more falling off pads

We looked at the possibility of a double pad, but since we will occasionally be in hostels where single sleeping is the only option, that wouldn't work.

theinfamousj
11-21-2016, 23:51
We looked at the possibility of a double pad, but since we will occasionally be in hostels where single sleeping is the only option, that wouldn't work.
Every hostel I have ever been to - granted while urban traveling, not on the AT - has provided a padded sleeping surface where sheets or a sleeping bag is necessary, but not a pad.

Are AT hostels likely to just give you a plywood space like they do in shelters?

Sarcasm the elf
11-22-2016, 00:29
Every hostel I have ever been to - granted while urban traveling, not on the AT - has provided a padded sleeping surface where sheets or a sleeping bag is necessary, but not a pad.

Are AT hostels likely to just give you a plywood space like they do in shelters?

Depends, the pay hostels I've used provided beds, but free and church hostels are sometimes just an extra room for you to sleep on the floor.

capehiker
11-22-2016, 21:50
I've had snap problems on 2 of my 3 EE quilts which is one of the reasons why I left the brand for Katabatic Gear.

Greenlight
11-22-2016, 22:03
Oh, what a kick @$$ pad for ONE person. That's what I'm talking about.

egilbe
11-22-2016, 22:53

baffle separates the two sides. Both are blown up separately. :banana

Engine
11-23-2016, 06:19
Oh, what a kick @$$ pad for ONE person. That's what I'm talking about.

That's what I thought when I first saw it, but Zpacks doesn't make a tent big enough...;)