PDA

View Full Version : Zpack Hexamid Solo versus Duplex - can't decide

dave_m
11-21-2016, 15:53
I'm looking to upgrade to a lighter tent than my 40+ oz Big Agnes which I call my "coffin". I love Zpacks' stuff, but can't decide between the Hexamid Solo and Duplex. This will be for solo backpacking primarily, but I do like to bring my gear inside.

Anyone own the Duplex as a solo tent? Any regrets on not going smaller/lighter?
Anyone using a Hexamid? Are you happy with it, or wish you had gone slightly larger?

Thanks!

Dave

Engine
11-21-2016, 16:05
From my experience, more people regret not getting a larger tent than the other way around by a large margin. Buy the Duplex, you'll appreciate the the extra room far more than you notice the relatively tiny increase in weight.

BTW, I ordered the Triplex this morning as a 2 person tent to replace a normal 2 person tent from another manufacturer which doesn't really have room for 2 people and their gear. This is the same issue you would have with a Hexamid solo...no room for gear.

DuneElliot
11-21-2016, 16:17
I have the Duplex as a solo tent and wouldn't trade the amount of space for anything. I love it. I think the weigh penalty of a couple of ozs is completely worth it to keep my gear, me and even two dogs sometimes, out of the weather. I think you'll find a lot of people say the same thing.

dave_m
11-21-2016, 16:29
This is the answer I expected. Duplex is on order! Thank you!

Starchild
11-21-2016, 16:31
I used a Hex solo with a Solo+ bathtub. (all Hex's are interchangeable with all bathtubs), it was perfect for my thru. It did not give any extra space than was needed. I would not have chosen any other hex combo for my thru after the fact then that which I chose.

Yes more room is nice and all but not needed beyond what you need. I would consider the duplex, and considered the weight savings of combining the bathtub + tent into one, but that's not what you are asking.

soumodeler
11-21-2016, 16:49
Duplex for sure. Worth the slight weight increase for more space and better ventilation.

Starchild
11-21-2016, 17:58
Actually I see you are exactly asking about the Hexamid vs the duplex - so adding to my post above, my reply was based on the Heximid 2 person tent vs the Hexamid solo, so yes I would consider the duplex, which IIRC comes in about an ounce lighter than my setup but gives much more room. Footprint may be a issue but not a big one.

Rex Clifton
11-21-2016, 18:00
I ended up going with the Duplex, and I love it, but my first choice would have been the Hexamid Solo Plus with the twin floor. The removable floor really makes the tent unique, and a few less ounces doesn't hurt either. What I could not get over, however, was the bug netting under the tent. I could just imagine it getting damaged in short order.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Dogwood
11-21-2016, 18:28
Going to a larger shelter regardless if the wt increase is nominal plays into the misguided marketing concept that more is always better. That concept further played out in backpacking has possibly unforeseen negative consequences.

Don't be blinded, or unquestioning, of this concept. Consider and question your needs, not confusing needs with wants, and THEN make your decision.

You might consider others recommendations(opinions) are based on their needs not necessarily your own.

Starchild
11-21-2016, 18:35
... What I could not get over, however, was the bug netting under the tent. I could just imagine it getting damaged in short order....

JustFYI,

Just FYI the bug netting stood up to the 2000+ mile AT thru and some more after. A few times I slept directly on the bug netting (well my sleeping mat on it) with the bathtub floor over me for additional warmth.

Lyle
11-21-2016, 18:38
My vote would be for the Solo Plus - that's what I bought (tarp version) and I'm very happy with it.

colorado_rob
11-21-2016, 21:14
My vote would be for the Solo Plus - that's what I bought (tarp version) and I'm very happy with it.yep, the solo+ is palatial for one. We even use it now and then for two (my wife and I). I'm sure the duplex will be a great tent for you, but the Solo+ would have been plenty.

Ercoupe
11-22-2016, 06:42
With the duplex you have the freestanding option, which will come in very handy, and give you a smaller footprint. considering the space needed for the guide lines.

Starchild
11-22-2016, 08:16
With the duplex you have the freestanding option, which will come in very handy, and give you a smaller footprint. considering the space needed for the guide lines.
Doesn'ttahtrequire2setsofpoles

Doesn't that require 2 sets of poles? This person is getting it for himself solo and the extra room so won't have taht option.

cmoulder
11-22-2016, 08:31
What's nice about the Duplex is the ventilation in the summer when it is in "bug net mode"....

jjozgrunt
11-22-2016, 18:20
I have both the Solo+ and Duplex. On the AT next year I will be using the Duplex for the extra room, dual openings and the deeper bathtub floor.

Engine
11-22-2016, 18:37
I have both the Solo+ and Duplex. On the AT next year I will be using the Duplex for the extra room, dual openings and the deeper bathtub floor.

The deep bathtub is something underappreciated by too many manufacturers. Kudos to Joe at Zpacks for the thought he puts into his gear.

greensleep
11-22-2016, 19:36

what is the freestanding arrangement? I have a duplex and cannot see that.

cmoulder
11-22-2016, 19:47
It's called the Duplex Flex (http://zpacks.com/shelter/duplex-flex.shtml). Pictured below, it is an add-on external carbon fiber frame for those who insist on something "free-standing," but if you're like 99% of people and pitch your Duplex with your trekking poles, it is IMO a significant weight increase and cost for no good reason.

http://zpacks.com/images/shelter/duplex_flex/duflex_angle_l.jpg

soumodeler
11-23-2016, 09:54
If you ordered a Duplex without the flex option, you can send it back and have it added on. But I agree with cmoulder, extra weight and cost for no real benefit.

DuneElliot
11-23-2016, 10:24
If you ordered a Duplex without the flex option, you can send it back and have it added on. But I agree with cmoulder, extra weight and cost for no real benefit.

Actually any Duplex made after mid November 2015 have the Flex attachments already included so there is no need to send it back. Anything made prior to that date can be retrofitted.

left52side
11-23-2016, 17:09
I read over A few of the replies and here is my .02 :)
I own the hexamid solo plus tarp and honestly I feel it has more than enough room for myself and my gear ,and could actually put another person in there if need be.
I had more than enough room for me and my dog (60 pound bulldog) and we both had room to spare.
Now the reason I went with the hexamid was for the tarp only option that at the time I do not think the duplex was available as A tarp only tent.
I also went with the hexamid for the single pole set up as opposed to using two poles to set it up.
I found myself familiar with the diamond style set up tarps as I have used similar in the past so I knew setting it up would not be A learning curve so to say.
I do like the looks of the duplex and it seems to have lots of room for one person,but to me my hexamid is perfect for myself.

bigcranky
11-23-2016, 21:44
We have a Hexamid Twin and now a Triplex. The Hex Twin can hold two people -- barely -- but it's really a great solo tent. The Triplex makes a terrific two-person tent, comparable interior volume to our Lunar Duo but more than a pound lighter.

I think you'll like the Duplex for solo use.

One Half
11-23-2016, 21:56
we will be ordering the triplex for the two of us. this way we can both have 25" wide sleeping mats and a little spare room. The weight difference is so slight it is totally worth it in our opinion. I would likely buy the duplex instead of a solo tent for myself if I didn't already have a solo tent.

Rex Clifton
11-24-2016, 09:06
No need to send back to retrofit if your tent is newer than Fall 2015.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

handlebar
11-24-2016, 12:09
Too late for the OP, but I have plenty of room in my Hexamid Solo Plus for me and my gear. I like that I can use the removable ground sheet for sleeping under the stars or under my pad in a shelter. Another plus for the Plus (pun intended) is that it uses only one trekking pole. I've managed to break trekking poles in the past but never lost the use of two.

forthemoment
11-25-2016, 05:44
I'd go with the duplex as a single person tent. I got the triplex for my gf and I, since we hike mostly together. Like PennyPincher, we got 25" mats so we needed something that could accommodate that.

poolskaterx
11-28-2016, 14:11
I have the Hexamid solo plus and can easily pull all my gear inside with me with plenty of room to spare, netting is going strong still. The double entry and the views out both sided of the duplex looks nice but I really like the ease of a single pole set up. I am just guessing from pics I have seen of the duplex but it appears as if the hexamid pitches a little tighter than the duplex?

colorado_rob
11-28-2016, 14:50
I have the Hexamid solo plus and can easily pull all my gear inside with me with plenty of room to spare, netting is going strong still. The double entry and the views out both sided of the duplex looks nice but I really like the ease of a single pole set up.To further illustrate the large size of the Solo-plus, by the way, I just "discovered" that the Solo-plus has the same floor footprint as the old Hexamid twin (not the current duo, which replaced the twin). I was shopping for a cuben bathtub floor for my solo-plus, as my wife and I plan on using our solo-plus on a PCT attempt (yes, both sleeping in a "solo" tent).

Here is an excerpt from the zpacks site for bathtub floors:

"Twin - 4.6 oz (130g) / $120
This size will fit both our Hexamid Solo-Plus and Hexamid Twin. ***Both of those tents have the exact same footprint size*** and this sheet will fit both of them"

cmoulder
11-28-2016, 15:05
2 issues with that are headroom for occupant #2 and ventilation, which is probably not a big deal if you pitch it a bit higher.

colorado_rob
11-28-2016, 15:11
2 issues with that are headroom for occupant #2 and ventilation, which is probably not a big deal if you pitch it a bit higher.Not sure what you mean by ventilation being an issue, the solo+ is ventilated all around just like all the other zpacks tents I've seen. But yes, the headroom for the 2nd occupant will be tight, but I've been experimenting with raising one corner with a forked stick, kinda works well in "testing", we'll see how it does in real life.

The 2nd-occupant headroom thing is apparently the primary difference between the solo+ and the (old) twin, the twin has the second pole and different shape top, giving that 2nd person nearly the same headroom as the first.

DuneElliot
11-28-2016, 15:56
I have always managed a super-tight pitch with my Duplex

poolskaterx
11-28-2016, 17:52
I have always managed a super-tight pitch with my Duplex

I figured, Joe makes great stuff that works; just seems that most of the pics I see posted of the twin pole zpacks do not look as taught.

2 issues with that are headroom for occupant #2 and ventilation, which is probably not a big deal if you pitch it a bit higher.

I could see the headroom might be a little tight for two, my wife and and I fit just fine I'm 5'10 wife is 5'5 both smaller framed though.

sethd513
11-29-2016, 19:50
My wife and I fit comfortably everything into our duplex and kick the shoes off outside. Plenty of room

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigcranky
11-29-2016, 22:00
The 2nd-occupant headroom thing is apparently the primary difference between the solo+ and the (old) twin, the twin has the second pole and different shape top, giving that 2nd person nearly the same headroom as the first.

We have a Hex Twin, and the sleeping area at the back of the tent has about half or maybe two thirds the headroom of the front area. It's not close. The roof slopes significantly to the rear wall. My partner was ok there, but she's a lot smaller than I am -- and it wasn't ideal.