PDA

View Full Version : SW Virginia: Parking between Sugar Grove and Bland

illabelle
11-22-2016, 08:10
Planning ahead for some weekend trips next spring. Need to complete 56.4 miles between Sugar Grove and Bland. Will probably do this with one 2-day trip and one 3-day trip. Looking for a good shuttle/parking access point at the approximate 60/40% point. Four options are listed below. I'm leaning towards option 1 because AWOL notes a campsite near the parking area. The campsite would be useful since we're likely to have a late afternoon or evening shuttle drop-off, but would like to consider other factors.

1. VA 42, parking area near O'Lystery Pavilion. 23.2 miles from Sugar Grove.
2. VA 625, gravel road. 30.1 miles from SG.
3. Walker Gap, dirt road. 35.8 miles from SG.
4. VA 623. 40.5 miles from SG.

Would appreciate feedback regarding accessibility (hard to get to? shuttle excessively long?), road conditions (gates? ruts?), and parking safety. If parking safety is a concern, we can park elsewhere and take a shuttle to one of the locations.

SWODaddy
11-23-2016, 10:13
I don't have an answer for you, but I'm interested in the answers you get. Bump.

dzierzak
11-23-2016, 10:33
This may be helpful.
http://appalachiantrail.rohland.org/

illabelle
11-23-2016, 14:37
Thanks for the bump and the link, guys. :)

I called Mt Rogers Outfitters and got some good info from "Lumpy".
He said that option 1, VA 42 is a good option, reasonably safe and easy to get to.
Option 2, VA 625? "No, no, no! They have to pipe sunshine down in there! I won't even go in there for an emergency pickup. Gotta have 4WD."
Option 3, Walker Gap? "No, that's way out in the middle of nowhere. A shuttle would cost you $160."
Option 4, VA 623? "No."

I feel much more confident about my choice now. :sun
I'm glad I called. Thanks Lumpy!

Alleghanian Orogeny
11-26-2016, 11:37
AT access from VA 623 is a long, slow grind up and over Brushy Mountain, down into a narrow valley, then up several switchbacks to gain the top of Garden Mtn along which the AT runs. In my 2WD Mazda pickup, with decent ground clearance, I was rock-dodging in 1st and 2nd gear pretty much the whole way. It took me 50 minutes from VA 42. I can only imagine shuttlers avoid it with a passion.

AO