PDA

View Full Version : Lehigh Gap to Little Gap and back in winter?

steve_zavocki
11-22-2016, 10:35
I am visiting my folks in PA the second week of January 2017. While there I hope to get in one or two section hikes. My question is how feasible is it to plan an out and back from Lehigh Gap to Little Gap. I would take AT up and the Winter Trail back to my car. I don't want to plan something foolhardy as I heard the climb up is difficult. Any thoughts.

(This section is appealing because I can do it without needing transportation from others)

rocketsocks
11-22-2016, 15:05
It's not that difficult, you'll be at the top in 45 min to an hour...looks harder than it is.

steve_zavocki
11-22-2016, 15:46
Thanks for the reply. Obviously I won't attempt in icy conditions but would it be doable when wet or some light snow??? In January, the chance of a sunny day is pretty slim. I am in good shape and pretty steady on my feet.

hikernutcasey
11-22-2016, 16:56
Like rocketsocks said, it's not as difficult as it looks but I will say I wouldn't want to try it in any kind of icy conditions. A little snow shouldn't be a problem.

rocketsocks
11-22-2016, 20:11
Like rocketsocks said, it's not as difficult as it looks but I will say I wouldn't want to try it in any kind of icy conditions. A little snow shouldn't be a problem.exactly! You go in icy conditions and faulter...yur done! Just be smart, cautious, and most certainly sure footed.

Slo-go'en
11-22-2016, 21:31
Conditions would have to be really good to want to do the AT climb out of the Gap. And the problem might be that conditions look good at the bottom but become death defying near the top and then your stuck. I would suspect it gets very icy along that southern facing cliff due to melt/freeze. I would also suspect the cliff stays relatively free of snow due to the wind with just the occasional drift in sheltered areas.

Carbo
11-22-2016, 22:33
Agree with all the comments. You need dry conditions to have a relatively safe climb out of Lehigh Gap. I did it last year on my thru attempt. It scared the crap out of me at one point near the top, but being slow and careful worked. If you do it, take plenty of pics. You'll be amazed looking back at what you accomplished.

steve_zavocki
11-23-2016, 09:39
Thanks all for advice. I think I will save this section for a summer visit. It sounds like a lot of fun and I would rather enjoy it then.

steve_zavocki
01-17-2017, 05:17
Update and opinion: I did this section on Sunday afternoon with friend who never hiked the AT before. There was 2 inches of light snow the day before. It was sunny and about 35 on Jan 15.

Because the mountain faces South the snow was all gone until you get around the front where it is already levelling off. I think the caution around this climb is necessarily for older, overweight, or very out of shape hikers, but overstated for the average hiker. I wouldn't call the climb treacherous and there are no deadly cliffs. It is just a rock scramble and a fun one at that. I fretted at attempting it in winter but want to encourage others to not worry too much about it any time of year. Only caveat would be freezing rain and fresh snow. Awesome views.

cdk4091
01-17-2017, 11:26
Steve: Thanks for the insight. I am older and plan to do the section from PA 309 to Delaware Water Gap next month, weather permitting.
CPT Kirk

steve_zavocki
01-17-2017, 13:08
CPT Kirk, I usually wear lowcut hiking shoes on the AT, but in PA I prefer hiking boots with a thicker sole. I am sure you heard about the rocks. I hiked 16 yesterday and my feet aren't sore today. There were sore after hiking 15 in hiking shoes last summer. Have a great hike!

Madpaddy
01-17-2017, 13:43
FYI Capt Kirk, My wife and I just finished the PA section a couple weeks ago. In my humble opinion the, last 20 miles of PA are the rockiest part of the state in terms of consistent rocks...however there is a nice logging road(for want of a better term? on the approach to the Delaware Gap before the descent.
Steve: Thanks for the insight. I am older and plan to do the section from PA 309 to Delaware Water Gap next month, weather permitting.
CPT Kirk