PDA

View Full Version : A.T. sub40 challenge

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Squeaky 2
01-16-2006, 12:39
well here is the next 'you dont stand a chance'......'it cant be done' challenge i have set myself. i plan to hike the appalchian trail with support in less than 40 days. it will require 55+ miles per day come rain or shine. the support team is going to be vital to the success. i am used to going it alone so planned support is going to be a new challenge for me aswell.

i am looking for advice concearning snow pack in maine and new hampshire with snow melt. the trail must be snow free. help with support would be awesome. advice and brand names on what hip belts to use or look out for. generally any positive input will be greatly appreciated.

all the best, "SQUEAKY":banana

general
01-16-2006, 13:07
right on. ain't nothin impossible.

lobster
01-16-2006, 13:10
Your one of the few who might be able to reach such a lofty goal! Good luck. I was thinking that the next goal would be to average at least 50 miles per day for the hike which would entail finishing in just under 43.5 days. Your goal raises the difficulty up another level!

Weather and sleep deprivation are going to be huge factors now!

Lone Wolf would be the guy to talk to concerning support! He's a master chef!!!

Roland
01-16-2006, 13:34
Squeaky,

In another thread you suggested starting 20 days before the summer solstice. IMO, no one can guarantee that you won't run into snow in early June. There are years when the snow is gone by then, but not always. Katahdin was closed for a few days in early June 2005.

Others suggested you begin your journey a week or two later. I agree. You would be less likely to walk in snow and the treadway would likely be drier. The daylight you'll lose is probably just a few minutes.

Here's a link to monthly weather data, on Mt. Washington. It will give you some idea of what to expect.

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/normals.html

Best of luck!

timhines
01-16-2006, 13:34
Wow. Keep posting with tentative dates and i'll try to help where I can (I live near NOC/Weser).

I wish I could hike it in 50-60 days!

Roland
01-16-2006, 14:06
Here's another thought, Squeaky.

I just checked the moon phase for the time you'll be enroute. If you left on June 4th, you'd be walking with moonlight through June 18th (first quarter - full moon - last quarter). Depending on your pace, this could get you through much of the rocks/roots up north, and close to PA.

There would be little moonlight from June 19 to July 3; a good time to walk the mid-altlantic states where the grade eases and the treadway is smoother.

After July 4th, you'd be walking towards a full moon again; just in time for the southern appalachians.

Edited to add the following moon phase calendar: http://www.almanac.com/astronomy/moon/index.php

Whistler
01-16-2006, 14:07
Start on July 1, and you can finish with the full moon on August 9...

I like waist/hydration packs by Ultimate Direction and GoLite. Not a big fan of Camelbak. It's a personal fit thing, so I can't give you a whole lot more advice on that end. I haven't been able to try them yet, but I'm intrigued by the offerings at www.fuelbelt.com. Worth a look.

-Mark

general
01-16-2006, 14:57
squeaky,

do you have any need for an ultralight shelter? if so, i can build you what ever you want. no cost, if it will help.

MisterSweetie
01-16-2006, 15:15
Squeaky you must hate your knees... :)

Squeaky 2
01-16-2006, 15:15
f--k me general that would be awesome, waht can you do!?

Nean
01-16-2006, 15:43
cool G; Squeaky doesn't want to plan for roads, other than to pick up and drop his gear where needed. Some excellent thoughts so far, thank you all
I will be part of his support crew, along w/ Lone Wolf, and maybe we will see just what is possible!

general
01-16-2006, 15:44
anything sil/nylon. tarps, single wall tents, what ever. i've got one that i sell, called the double wide. it sets up on two leki poles, got no floor, provides complete coverage and weighs about 15 oz. however, i've got one in the works that's called the single wide, still big enough for two or one plus gear with a bunch of extra space 13oz. you can sit up in either one with about 130 cm of head room. if you've got any ideas for something specifically for yourself, i can do that too. if you're interested in one that i already have i'll send one to you. if you like it, keep it. if you don't, send it back.

Squeaky 2
01-16-2006, 15:52
anything sil/nylon. tarps, single wall tents, what ever. i've got one that i sell, called the double wide. it sets up on two leki poles, got no floor, provides complete coverage and weighs about 15 oz. however, i've got one in the works that's called the single wide, still big enough for two or one plus gear with a bunch of extra space 13oz. you can sit up in either one with about 130 cm of head room. if you've got any ideas for something specifically for yourself, i can do that too. if you're interested in one that i already have i'll send one to you. if you like it, keep it. if you don't, send it back.

Squeaky has just gone out for a game of Pool with his brother, he will be back on line in a few hours time.

Stef

rickb
01-16-2006, 18:11
It woudn't suprise me if you fly into Boston.

If so, and there is anything a person who lives 30 miles due west of the city can do for you or for your crew please let me know.

Not sure why it makes me laugh, but you will be moving south so fast that even if you start on the solstice, your daylight will actually increase every day.

general
01-16-2006, 18:15
Squeaky has just gone out for a game of Pool with his brother, he will be back on line in a few hours time.

Stef

Stef,
would you tell me how tall squeaky is please?

Roland
01-16-2006, 18:28
~~~ Not sure why it makes me laugh, but you will be moving south so fast that even if you start on the solstice, your daylight will actually increase every day.
Are you sure about this, Rick? Think Alaska, in the summer.

DavidNH
01-16-2006, 18:35
gee....with 50 plus mile days..isnt lack of sleep going to be an issue? I mean arent we talking about 12-14 hour hiking days to achieve this milage? Of couse I have no idea how fast Squeaky walks..never met him..but the guy sure as heck has endurance!

DavidNH

Roland
01-16-2006, 18:37
gee....with 50 plus mile days..isnt lack of sleep going to be an issue? I mean arent we talking about 12-14 hour hiking days to achieve this milage? Of couse I have no idea how fast Squeaky walks..never met him..but the guy sure as heck has endurance!

DavidNH
I have trouble driving 50 miles, without stopping to stretch my legs. I won't try to keep pace with Squeaky.

TJ aka Teej
01-16-2006, 18:47
Based on being at Katahdin each May 15th for almost each of the last 25 years, I suggest starting the first weekend in June to completely avoid snow on Katahdin's Tableland and on Whitecap in Maine. Planning on having the AT on Katahdin open before the U.S. holiday called Memorial Day (May 29th in '06) is taking a gamble. Over the last 10 years or so the Hunt Trail's been officially open on May 15th only twice, and in recent years the official opening has tended toward June 1st after MATC worktrips and firsthand trail scouting by Rangers. More than you need to know: there's a wet stretch on the edge of the ravine just after 'The Cave' that stays in shadow until late May and so remains snow and ice covered. It's this part, and deep snow on the Tableland, that can keep the Hunt Trail closed until good weather.

Squeaky 2
01-16-2006, 19:20
general if you could put something together that is as light as possible, with a bug net sewn in. maybe a single stitch on the top to allow the bug net to drape over the top half of the bag. i hate the bugs at night buzzing around my face, and sleep is crucial. any thoughts? about 6ft tall by the way.i aim to hike 16+hours each day to answer davidnh query.rick i think you have a very good point. it actually got lighter as i went south last year, something i overlooked, so well done!great to see such awesome support!

neighbor dave
01-16-2006, 19:40
link for what it's worth. good luck!:welcome
http://www.almanac.com/weather/index.php

general
01-16-2006, 20:03
i had an idea and here is what i propose that we do. take the design of the shelter that i have, lower and taper the back, and move the rear pole to the outside increasing useable floor space. the bug net is no problem at all. do you want the net to fold under your ground cloth, or does it need a floor? floor would add 3oz or so. i feel like i could get this down to around 11oz with bug net using a tyvek ground cloth.

wyclif
01-17-2006, 02:49
Squeaky, you're insane. :p And I mean that in the best possible sense, mate.

I think your adventures would make a great book.

Squeaky 2
01-17-2006, 05:52
general your ideas sound great, sounds like you know what your doing which gives me great convindence. i dont need a ground sheet, so that should cut some wieght. thanks again general.

Heater
01-17-2006, 06:29
July start.

Full moons on July 10th and august 9th.

If you leave on July 5th and end on August 13th you will make the most of the moonlight if you plan on hiking in the night or making up time on hours lost. Also, you will have more light at the beginning and end of the trail where it is rougher. No snow, no ice. Less rain, high water crossings. Also... since you are supported... drinking water will no be a problem.

--

June start.

Full moons June 10th and July 11th.

Pretty much the same plan, just a month earlier, a little cooler temps but you will probably run into more adverse weather.

--

I think the moon data is pretty important on such a time intensive endeavor. You are cutting it to the quick.
:bse

Heater
01-17-2006, 06:32
Correction... June 11th and July 10th.

No edit button. :datz

Squeaky 2
01-17-2006, 06:56
last year required me to do alot of night hiking, every night for over 3 months, whether it was raining, snowing, flooding, strong winds etc

one thing i hated was the transition from day to night. there was a period of about 30 minutes when daylight was not enough and the head torch was doing no good. when the moon is out you get the same effect, plus there is the shadows that the moon casts which play tricks on your mind! so as much as you might think it to help, i dont like hiking with the moon. the darker it is the more detail your head torch will create!

but this is so cool that we are all pulling together. thanks again!

Heater
01-17-2006, 07:09
last year required me to do alot of night hiking, every night for over 3 months, whether it was raining, snowing, flooding, strong winds etc

one thing i hated was the transition from day to night. there was a period of about 30 minutes when daylight was not enough and the head torch was doing no good. when the moon is out you get the same effect, plus there is the shadows that the moon casts which play tricks on your mind! so as much as you might think it to help, i dont like hiking with the moon. the darker it is the more detail your head torch will create!

but this is so cool that we are all pulling together. thanks again!

Then I guess you'd want to start a week before a New moon? :D

I guess its different from one to another. I find it easier to walk in the moonlight.

Nean
01-17-2006, 07:20
So when are the new moons? I find things like this interesting as I'd have never looked at it that way. Now it seems logical. Note to self. Dinner at dusk.:)

Heater
01-17-2006, 07:28
So when are the new moons? I find things like this interesting as I'd have never looked at it that way. Now it seems logical. Note to self. Dinner at dusk.:)

http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/MoonPhase.html#y2006

JUNE 25
JULY 25
AUG 23

general
01-17-2006, 09:40
general your ideas sound great, sounds like you know what your doing which gives me great convindence. i dont need a ground sheet, so that should cut some wieght. thanks again general.

then we'll make it so. i built the prototype late last night (after some beers). i still need to work out some geometry, but the prototype looks like a viable solution. i'm out of no see um netting, it's on the way, and i should have it this week. that being said, i should get it in the mail to you next week. it will be fun to push the ultralight envelope on this. any ideas for a name for this? it was called the FTL late last night for ( "****** that's light").

Squeaky 2
01-17-2006, 10:43
general thats cool. the name suits well. technical yet funny! how does it set up?

thanks again

general
01-17-2006, 11:10
here is a picture of the double wide. what im working on for you tapers in the back in width and height. the rear pole is also on the outside on the FTL using a short piece of 1/16 dia cord coming from the rear peak, around the leki grip and then to a stake or tree. the rear leki pole itself stakes out the rear most bottom hem guyout. here's what's going to make the FTL really trick though. i'll put a catenary cut along the bottom hem line, allowing for a tighter pitch using fewer stakes. however, this causes the sides to be all the way to the ground at the guyouts and then arch off of the ground a couple of inches at the highest and then arching back to the next guyout. with the bug net on the inside this isn't a problem unless it just bothers you. it would also allow it to vent extroidinarily well in wet enviroments virtually eliminating condensation. i'm going to set the prototype up today when it stops raining. i'll snap a picture and post it here then.

Whistler
01-17-2006, 11:33
That's cool, general. Sort of like a Spinnshelter, but I think the cat-cut sides will be a nice touch for the humidity over here. The beaks would get you pretty much stormproof, but the sides will still let some air circulate.
-Mark

general
01-17-2006, 11:38
you can open the door slightly at the top and tie it back with an attached piece of nylon webbing with the weather flap still providing complete coverage. this creates the "chimney effect", drawing cool air in from the bottom and letting it out the top with out adding an extra vent.

rickb
01-17-2006, 13:15
Hi Squeeky...

I was playing around at this site http://www.jgiesen.de/daylight/ and it looks like you will lose about 2 hours of daylight as you move towards springer.

If I entered the everything correctly (Katahdin 455.54 N , 68.55 W and Springer 34.38 N and 84.12 W) the hours of daylight listed would be:

Katahdin on June 20th: 15:42 hours
Katahdin on July 1st: 15:38 hours

Springer on July 30th: 13:54 hours
Springer on August 9: 13:38 hours

lobster
01-17-2006, 16:44
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" width="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">What was your average hiking day on the AT this year? How many hours between starting and finishing each day?

Also, what was your average hiking distance each day for the AT?

Is your plan to hike the same speed and just add on 3-4 hours per day or do you plan to speed up and just add 1-2 hours per day?

Weather could make for some slower hiking and seriously long days. How does sleep deprivation effect you?
</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Squeaky 2
01-17-2006, 17:11
as for weather making it tough.......i am not taking anything for granted, but i did put in 48 miles in 16 hours with a pack in 2-8inches of snow and freezing cold gales....... i dont think the summer will produce anything like this but.........mt. washington.....? my avg. day was 14 hours. my mileage was over 40 even in snow. town days killed me! not to sure on the mileage avg. the noreaster cost me 12 weeks alone!

Nean
01-17-2006, 18:22
the noreaster cost me 12 weeks alone!

Fn Squeaky, you are faster than I thought!:D ;)

mweinstone
01-17-2006, 18:37
squeekster.the squeekinator.you big squeekaholic you.oh squeek,...must you?.ladies and gentalmen,i give you mr s.walkin nwith the squeekster. very squeeky of you sir.pass the squeek. mom ....max is squeeking!mom!dear mr squeeky.hey squeek....oil called.squee squ later squeekogater.if your name was ronald we would still love you.

Squeaky 2
01-17-2006, 18:37
ok maybe it was only 2 weeks.....nean you caught me telling white lies for the benefit of making my hike into something it wasnt. i thank you for bringing me graciously back down to earth with your age old wisdom......... hahahahaha

Squeaky 2
01-17-2006, 18:40
mwienstone i am very confused?????

Heater
01-17-2006, 19:35
mwienstone i am very confused?????

You'd have to be to walk over a thousand miles a month for seven months. :D

warren doyle
01-17-2006, 21:03
Matt has set the stage in a public place:

A sub-40 day foot traverse, with support, of the entire Appalachian Trail during 2006.

If I was a betting man, I would put the odds at 300 to 1. I would reduce the odds to 25 to 1 of Matt setting a new AT record by a day or less.

Obviously, all the postings of walking by the moon are of little value, since most experienced AT endurance hikers know you cannot keep the required pace at night without a headlight. The leaves on the trees shut out the moonlight during the night.

It will be interesting to see how Matt adjusts to a 'Cave Dog' approach to the record attempt. Having folks with you does pose some interpersonal challenges. And this trek won't be as 'quiet' as his recent accomplishment was (except the last month).

It will be interesting to follow what transpires.

Happy trails!

Fiddler
01-17-2006, 21:13
Will you be accepting donations to help with the cost of the record attempt? I have never taken part physically in anything of this nature but I know there is a certain monetary requirement, more than most people think. Squeaky gotta eat, support crew gotta eat, gas for crew to get around, many expenses involved. The money has to come from somewhere. If you do set up an account to receive donations I believe many of the WB community would contribute. I know I'll be glad to help.

Lone Wolf
01-17-2006, 21:18
I haven't spoken to Squeaky about what his financial situation is for a record attempt. In the few attempts I've been involved in the hiker provided cash for gas, food, etc.

Skidsteer
01-17-2006, 21:19
Will you be accepting donations to help with the cost of the record attempt? I have never taken part physically in anything of this nature but I know there is a certain monetary requirement, more than most people think. Squeaky gotta eat, support crew gotta eat, gas for crew to get around, many expenses involved. The money has to come from somewhere. If you do set up an account to receive donations I believe many of the WB community would contribute. I know I'll be glad to help.

Ditto.....

Nean
01-18-2006, 00:46
That is very nice, thank you guys! I know squeaky is trying to raise enough to cover everything, including support. We have discussed possibilities and are starting to pursue them. Already General, Jeff at MRO, and david horton to name a few. are helping. Btw, Squee ;) went back to work today. I have told him cover me last, but with Warrens 300 to 1 odds I might not need worry. Wonder if he'd care to make a little wager?:-? :D

lobster
01-18-2006, 01:37
I think the AT record is beatable without a doubt, but under 40 days is going to take an extreme amount of fortitude.

general
01-18-2006, 09:40
That is very nice, thank you guys! I know squeaky is trying to raise enough to cover everything, including support. We have discussed possibilities and are starting to pursue them. Already General, Jeff at MRO, and david horton to name a few. are helping. Btw, Squee ;) went back to work today. I have told him cover me last, but with Warrens 300 to 1 odds I might not need worry. Wonder if he'd care to make a little wager?:-? :D

a big enuf wager should cover cost.

warren doyle
01-18-2006, 10:19
Sorry Nean. I'm not a gambler.
Besides it would hurt my chances of getting into the Long Distance Hikers Hall of Fame (or, according to the internegators, the Hall of Shame).

Nean
01-18-2006, 11:25
Warren, they can't keep you out, You're already in! I gots 10$ if you gots x300!!:) And thank you for your input as well!

Heater
01-18-2006, 11:36
Warren, they can't keep you out, You're already in! I gots 10$ if you gots x300!!:) And thank you for your input as well!

Well... unless, of course... the HOF considers "conduct detrimental to the team".

general
01-18-2006, 11:45
here are the pictures of the FTL prototype. what do you think?

Squeaky 2
01-18-2006, 13:58
general that looks way cool and huge. how much does it wiegh again? i might be able to get it in a magazine over here if you dont mind?
its the least i can do. thanks to everyone for thier offers of donations, it has honestly blown me away! it would sure help with the road crew!

general
01-18-2006, 18:13
right now the prototype weighs 12 oz on my scale, with no catenary cut on the sides which should shave off another ounce or so. also i think the prototype is a little heavy because of two patches in the material, adding weight more in silicone sealer than fabric. a good estimation for your FTL will be between 10 and 11oz without stakes. i've got the geometry down for a tight pitch. i spent some time in it today thinking about how to do the bug net, and i've got it hammered out. i also got the sil/nylon part of yours about 2/3 complete. it's beer:30 now and i ain't touching it again until tomorrow.

is that light enough? it has 36sq feet of floor space as is. thats big enough for two or one+gear with left over space. i think i can trim it down some more with out running into any condensation problems, but much smaller, and it's going to start getting tight inside.

magazine? that's too f***in cool man. i would appreciate that greatly.

Stratton Motel
01-18-2006, 19:10
Squeaky, whatever support you need in ME (between say Caratunk & ME/NH line or a little further south, let us know (Don & Susan of Stratton Motel/Maine Roadhouse/Andover Roadhouse) ...
Don

The Solemates
01-19-2006, 11:34
here are the pictures of the FTL prototype. what do you think?

does he need 4 poles to stake it out? how would that work?

lobster
01-19-2006, 13:09
Isn't this a love fest!!!

Rowton
01-19-2006, 13:26
This is my first post on WB :) I just couldn't lurk anymore after reading this thread.

I've read as much as I can about you squeaky and must say that you are a true inspiration for us "regular" people.

I would urge you to start a paypal account (if you don't have one already) This would give us an easy way to send donations.

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_pdn_donate_techview_outside

general
01-19-2006, 14:22
does he need 4 poles to stake it out? how would that work?

two poles for set up. i used two on the sides to really draw them out. you could use trees, stake them out with a guyline only or, not use the side guyouts at all. i think in the first picture the side poles are eliminated. i like it better with out the sides pulled out. on the new one (not the prototype) the catenary cut side seams make the side guyouts even more redundant. i think i might scrap them to save a little more weight. i can always add them later if it proves necessary. i'm playing around with pitching it with both hiking poles on the outside. you can pitch it blazingly fast like that. always right the first time, with virtually no adjustment. i think that may be important in the dark, tired, and ready to crash. that's something i've never been too concerned about, but i'm really excited with thinking in ways that i haven't yet. the outcome here will be interesting one the less.

it's out or research and development and into the wild for testing.

Squeaky 2
01-19-2006, 16:01
i have put alot of thought into everyones offers to donate money towards my hike this year. i am very touched by all of your kindness. it looks like i will be able to get what i need from gear companies as far as equipment goes. but due to time restrictions with work, planning and training it is going to be hard for me to save enough money to cover the costs of the road crew. if we were to set up some sort of paypal would anyone object if the donations were to cover the road team? any thoughts? advice?

Rowton
01-19-2006, 16:32
but due to time restrictions with work, planning and training it is going to be hard for me to save enough money to cover the costs of the road crew. if we were to set up some sort of paypal would anyone object if the donations were to cover the road team? any thoughts? advice?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
One of the most transparent ways of accomplishing this would be to make some sort of rough budget so that people know where the money will be spent.
$xx.00 - Food, fuel, expendables...<o:p></o:p>
$xx.00 - Transportation<o:p></o:p>
$xx.00 - Lodging<o:p></o:p>
...<o:p></o:p>
Then you can make it available to the public (perhaps on a trail journal type web page)<o:p></o:p>
Lets say you need $7,000 before starting, you could provide weekly updates on how close you are getting, kind of like the Salvation Army donation signs that tell us they are at 50% or 85% of their goal.<o:p></o:p>
The advantage of a paypal (or similar) button is that its easy for people to give smaller donations of $5-$10. You could also provide some sort of recognition for high dollar donations and to gear companies.

btw, what is the current speed record for a supported AT hike?

wyclif
01-19-2006, 16:33
If we were to set up some sort of paypal would anyone object if the donations were to cover the road team? any thoughts? advice?

I highly recommend PayPal and use it all the time. Very convenient and would seem to be a perfect solution for your situation...you could leave it up the duration of your trip. I do some website design; I would recommend putting the PayPal button/link right on your journal page, at the top of the page, perhaps in a sidebar so folks who read your journal won't miss it.

Fiddler
01-19-2006, 16:41
if we were to set up some sort of paypal would anyone object if the donations were to cover the road team? any thoughts? advice?

The road crew gotta be covered some way as well. If you do set something up please give a name and address to send a check or money order. Many people (I am one) do not use PayPal. If more would be collected than necessary the excess could be donated, in turn, to some worthy AT organization or project.

wyclif
01-19-2006, 16:51
Many people (I am one) do not use PayPal.

PayPal is really, really convenient for:

People who wanna transfer money fast via plastic
People who already have an account and use it for other things (eBay)Of course there are people who don't use PayPal...offer both options (PayPal for the moderns, and an address where cheques can be mailed).

That way no matter who wants to help you've covered all the bases.

Squeaky 2
01-19-2006, 17:00
i need to speak to nean and lone wolf to see what costs they need covered. gas food and lodging will be high on the list. i just hope nean doesnt blow the budget in hooters.........its the real reason i am going southbound!!!! but what would be preferable, if nean and lone wolf are fine about it, would be to set up the paypal in thier names and they recieve the donations for thier costs.

Fiddler
01-19-2006, 17:06
Of course there are people who don't use PayPal...offer both options (PayPal for the moderns, and an address where cheques can be mailed).

I don't understand your term "PayPal for the moderns". Please explain.

As to why I don't use PayPal, as explained in another post. I had bad experiences with PayPal. I got my account set up and used it 3 times. The first time all went fine. The next 2 times, without going into a lot of details, were unpleasant to say it nicely. First of these 2 involved a huge overcharge which only took 2 months to rectify. Last time they took the right amount, vendor didn't get it, PayPal couldn't trace it though they agreed they had charged me, just didn't know where it went, then they "lost my account" and couldn't refund. Only 5 bucks that time - so I let the account stay "lost". Will never use them again.

wyclif
01-19-2006, 17:18
I don't understand your term "PayPal for the moderns". Please explain.

I meant simply people who are comfortable with paying for things with plastic. I meant no offence or class warfare. :D

The Solemates
01-19-2006, 17:41
i need to speak to nean and lone wolf to see what costs they need covered. gas food and lodging will be high on the list. i just hope nean doesnt blow the budget in hooters.........its the real reason i am going southbound!!!! but what would be preferable, if nean and lone wolf are fine about it, would be to set up the paypal in thier names and they recieve the donations for thier costs.

you shouldnt have said this. now nobody will donate! i mean, who would give money to lone wolf?! :-?

The Solemates
01-19-2006, 17:42
I meant simply people who are comfortable with paying for things with plastic. I meant no offence or class warfare. :D

are you a paypal representative or something? you sure do like that program...

Fiddler
01-19-2006, 17:53

No offence taken. I use credit card, debit card, speedpass, online bank, etc. Just that getting screwed for whatever the cause 2 out of 3 times is all I will accept.

terrapin05
01-19-2006, 19:00
try a byers of maine moskito-traveler hammock has bug net,can be used as tarp hammock etc. just add trekking poles and ingenuity weighs 1#even

wyclif
01-19-2006, 19:28
are you a paypal representative or something? you sure do like that program...

I sure do, but I'm not a representative. I just, ah, like the convenience of being able to buy things online without the seller having to wait for my cheque. :rolleyes:

I was running a small business and taking payments with PayPal, and I never had a problem. I'm sorry someone else did.

Nean
01-20-2006, 02:00
I've been away for a day or so and it is great to see the love...even lobster has been inspired! I hope you plan to do that in a calendar month.:cool: A budget would be good. Maybe we can inquire what others have spent on past supported hikes? We keep our receipts of course and cover the basics. Folks won't be buying us beer in other words.(I don't mean to speak for LW, as he is a lot older and (bud)wiser than me):) I wonder if we can get one account and 3 cards? The support for the support has been amazing, thank you all.

general
01-20-2006, 09:38
I wonder if we can get one account and 3 cards?

i think you can get as many cards as you want. you may have to buy the second two or something.

Sloghound
01-22-2006, 01:15
Hello, all...
Some thoughts on raising money. What is Squeaky most comfortable with, direct gifts to him? Or, to some sort of an organization (non-profit association or club?) that covers the expenses? Any tax issues for Squeaky, money to him in the U.K. vs. money waiting for him or for his benefit here in the States? Would he have any US Immigration issues if there are expenses paid for him, or if it is a gift?

What if Squeaky were to sell his stories of past trips, and his insights into what he does, as a fund raising vehicle, in book or simpler binding format like a magazine or pamphlet? I know of one service, lulu.com where things are produced one-at-a-time as ordered. Books, calendars, cd's, dvd's, pamphlets, comic books! The Squeaky Saga! Stickers! T-Shirts! Autographed insoles!

What does the ultramarathoning community do, that is similar?

Here in the US, I believe if you are writing a book, you can deduct research expenses as a cost of producing the book, if your intention is to sell your book and make a profit. I think a non-profit club or association might benefit, too. The Squeaky Support Society?
The trip costs could be considered research and production expenses! The profit doesn't have to be a certainty ahead of time, merely the stated intention. Why pay unneccessary taxes on raised money if just a little preplanning would eliminate them? Someone more knowledgeable than I should weigh in on these matters, however.

Just some boring back office thoughts! I'm no expert. But, a strongly supported Squeaky can create a lot of inspiration!

James

Jerm
01-22-2006, 01:17
you could actually get a paypal debit card (or three). and then hook the paypal account up to the bank account that the checks are being deposited into. then transfer the money to the paypal account.

or even better, transfer the money from the paypal account into a bank account and get three debit cards from the bank. i have been using paypal for over four years now and have never had a single problem. as soon as somebody pays me i transfer it to my checking account, which takes about three days.

one thing to watch out for is that if you get a premier account, which is needed to take credit cards, that paypal charges a transaction fee, 2.9%+$.30. if you have a personal account it is free, but you can't accept credit cards. there is an currency exchange fee as well for both, 2.5%.

Tim Seaver
01-22-2006, 01:54
Wow....55 miles a day for 40 days? That would be pretty amazing, to say the least.

The best of luck to you Squeaky!

justusryans
01-22-2006, 09:32
luck......

minnesotasmith
01-22-2006, 11:00
I know that I won't be doing half that daily speed on my thruhike.

One point: I hope you don't do what Flyin' Brian is reputed to do. That guy supposedly makes a habit of not carrying (needed for safety) appropriate clothing on the Trail, then yogiing bedding and warm clothes from other hikers in the shelters. I guess they take pity on him, figuring he's new to hiking, when he has NO excuse for this. I'd just give him LLL Bean's website URL, myself.

Again, best wishes to you and your endeavors.

Fiddler
01-22-2006, 17:18
I think any contributions to help support this challenge should be made directly to the support crew, Nean or L. Wolf in whatever form the donor desires, check or money order, or if Nean or Wolf have a PayPal account that could also be used. My reasoning for this is that they will ultimately be the ones handling and spending most of the money. If any tax would have to be paid on money donated that would be (my opinion) another legitimate expense to come from the funds.

I also think the collection should start as soon as Nean and/or Wolf can get a proceedure set up to receive donations. My reasoning for this is that many potential donors may be on the trail or otherwise unavailable if collecting is delayed until shortly before the attempt is to be made. Also some who may be "on the hook" now just may loose interest as time goes by.

Also as I stated in an earlier post, if more would be collected than necessary the excess could be donated, in turn, to some worthy AT organization or project.

Any comments?

Jerm
01-22-2006, 19:54
someone asked who holds the record. i don't know if it was answered, but the blue ridge outdoors interview with david horton has it stated that andrew thompson, a former student of dr. hortons, set the speed record at 47days, 13 hours, and 31 minutes this year. that is roughly 48 miles a day.

minnesotasmith
01-23-2006, 00:00
then we'll make it so. i built the prototype late last night (after some beers). i still need to work out some geometry, but the prototype looks like a viable solution. i'm out of no see um netting, it's on the way, and i should have it this week. that being said, i should get it in the mail to you next week. it will be fun to push the ultralight envelope on this. any ideas for a name for this? it was called the FTL late last night for ( "****** that's light").

In science fiction, an FTL spaceship is one that travels Faster Than Light.

Nean
01-23-2006, 01:46
I think any contributions to help support this challenge should be made directly to the support crew, Nean or L. Wolf in whatever form the donor desires, check or money order, or if Nean or Wolf have a PayPal account that could also be used. My reasoning for this is that they will ultimately be the ones handling and spending most of the money. If any tax would have to be paid on money donated that would be (my opinion) another legitimate expense to come from the funds.

I also think the collection should start as soon as Nean and/or Wolf can get a proceedure set up to receive donations. My reasoning for this is that many potential donors may be on the trail or otherwise unavailable if collecting is delayed until shortly before the attempt is to be made. Also some who may be "on the hook" now just may loose interest as time goes by.

Also as I stated in an earlier post, if more would be collected than necessary the excess could be donated, in turn, to some worthy AT organization or project.

Any comments?

Thanks for the input Fiddler. I've spoken to Squeaky on this matter and he prefers the donations be sent to us. I still need to talk to LW about it, but will check w/ my bank in the morning concerning legalities, etc. I hope to have someting set up in the next few days! Also like the ideal idea about donating any extra to a trail cause.:clap BTW, I prefer cash, small bills, unmarked.;)

Sly
01-23-2006, 03:08
One point: I hope you don't do what Flyin' Brian is reputed to do. That guy supposedly makes a habit of not carrying (needed for safety) appropriate clothing on the Trail, then yogiing bedding and warm clothes from other hikers in the shelters.

Gimme a freakin break! You heard this from whom? You haven't even started your thru-hike yet and you're gossiping already. Good luck!

Squeaky 2
01-23-2006, 13:25
Originally Posted by minnesotasmith
One point: I hope you don't do what Flyin' Brian is reputed to do. That guy supposedly makes a habit of not carrying (needed for safety) appropriate clothing on the Trail, then yogiing bedding and warm clothes from other hikers in the shelters.

i heard he pushes old ladies out of the way on the trail:bse and steals food from boy scouts!!! hahahaha

Nean
01-23-2006, 13:49
Poor BR, if I wasn't laughing so hard I'd almost feel sorry for him. I just wish that from my experience w/ him I could say he is a good person; I can't. Miles don't make the man regardless of speed, direction, etc. Btw, just read my ALDHA Long Distance Hiker and they point out the difference between Squeaky and BR. Where's the uproar?

Sly
01-23-2006, 13:54
I haven't read the article yet. Personalities aside, did the LDH make mention of BR borrowing gear from others?

(Not counting the gear Mrs Gorp and others lent him to complete when his was lost on a bus)

Nean
01-23-2006, 14:03
Nothing like that Sly. I have never heard of anything like that. It is one thing to speak from experience or good natured kidding. No one, even BR, deserves unfounded rumor spead about them. Ironic that this is my peeve w/ BR.

Sly
01-23-2006, 14:06
Ironic that this is my peeve w/ BR.

Yeah, that would be ironic. He didn't say anything about me did he? :D

Nean, we still have to get together. Sometime soon, I hope.

Nean
01-23-2006, 14:14
Are you kidding Sly, we could talk bad about YOU for hours:D ;) :p :jump :rolleyes: :) :banana :sun :clap :bse And yes, we do!

Sly
01-23-2006, 14:21
Are you kidding Sly, we could talk bad about YOU for hours:D ;) :p :jump :rolleyes: :) :banana :sun :clap :bse And yes, we do!

All rumors! :jump

Nean
01-23-2006, 14:36
HA LOL:D No, nothin bad. Yes we do need to visit soon:)

Nean
01-24-2006, 00:40
Good news from the bank. I still want to check out one bank tomorrow but it looks like we will have an account set up very soon.

Fiddler
01-24-2006, 00:57
(Not counting the gear Mrs Gorp and others lent him to complete when his was lost on a bus)

What was his gear doing on a bus?

Whistler
01-24-2006, 01:07
What was his gear doing on a bus?
Traveling with him to the next trail, I believe.
-Mark

Nean
01-24-2006, 01:27
From the cdt to the at. Ed would've walked that, thus avoiding the problem in the first place:rolleyes: :D

Squeaky 2
01-24-2006, 05:01
nean you make me laugh. thanks for all the hard work!

Nean
01-24-2006, 17:00
More news on the sub40 personal challenge. National Geographic seem to think Squeaky and Lone Wolf are for real and will be doing an artical....and a film. I'll be hangin out w/ movie stars:p

Squeaky 2
01-24-2006, 17:20
no its not national geographic nean. sorry for the confusion. but it defenately getting filmed/photoed professionaly

Nean
01-24-2006, 17:31
Sorry for the mix up. Thats the thing about instant message on the net; the subject can change slightly in mid type.:o :o Perhaps NG will have wished they did it;) :) :D

Nean
01-25-2006, 15:12
Just off the phone w/ LW. Team sub40 is looking forward to this summer. Should have the account set up early next week. Squeaky will know later today if he got more good news.
Btw, the film maker connection came thru the NG photographer, and hopes to enter it at the Banff Film Festival. Wonder if there is a Best Supporting something award?:rolleyes:

Lone Wolf
01-25-2006, 15:14
This gig is on!:D

Gray Blazer
01-25-2006, 15:35
TrailDog, who broke the record last summer, passed me In the Nantahalas. He was going fast and he was carrying nothing. I hope I get to see you whiz by this summer. Someone referenced the length of days already at this thread. Having the Full Moon makes it easier to walk at night ,but, I would think that a person trying to hike more hours in a day would want to start a little before the Summer Solstice, 20 days before and end 20 days after to maximize daylight. Maybe it doesn't make any difference. Good Luck and I hope you have great weather.

lobster
01-25-2006, 16:24
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" width="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">Spped hiker folk have mentioned that southbound starting in August is the way to go weatherwise and getting the tough stuff out of the way at the beginning! Any thoughts?</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">

warren doyle
01-25-2006, 19:54
It will be interesting to see how this most public long distance trail record attempt will unfold. Sponsors, bank accounts, internet surveillance...
Lone Wolf says the 'gig is on' - I hope it doesn't turn out to be 'the jig is up'.

lobster
01-25-2006, 21:08
I thought the thing that people really liked about Squeaky this time around was his modesty and not seeking the limelight.

Seems like this planned endeavour is mushrooming!

Looks like it will be a supported hike to the max!

Nean
01-25-2006, 23:21
I'd say correct on 2 of 3 lobster. Squeaky tried to get sponsored last year w/o any luck. For some reason;) this year seems to be a different story.
I think part of the challenge for Squeaky is making his goal public. He does not use the saftey net. Bold, no doubt. He's putting himself on the line and I admire that. The rest has mushroomed. Squeaky carries bricks to earn his money. Several very nice people here on whiteblaze offered to donate and suggested the account. I'm not rich either and so we went with "Thank you"! So far he has been offered a tent, a pack, and his shoes. LW and myself thought it would be fun to see if he can do it, I know he is going to try. The support itself is going to be bare bones really and as planned now much less than other supported hikes.
I told Squeaky some folks might become resentful, but I have been amazed really at how positive everyone has been. Again, Thank you!
Btw Warren, I know Squeaky appreciates your advise and support.

Squeaky 2
01-26-2006, 12:26
just had a very interesting meeting about this years hike. i am now raising money for a childrens charity called steps. they help children with a range of birth defects from the waiste down. plus the possiblity of a live web cast of the hike as i am hiking! thanks again for all the support. hopefully we can start recieving the generous donations whiteblaze users have offered. it will be greatly appreciate!!!
all the best, "SQUEAKY"

Lone Wolf
01-26-2006, 12:32
Very cool. www.steps-charity.org.uk/home.php

Squeaky 2
01-26-2006, 12:42
thanks lone wolf. i really hope people can show as much support to the charity as i have recieved. it really is a worthy cause. i am sure we would all agree how lucky we are to have the use of our legs to enable us to enjoy our hiking.

Mags
01-26-2006, 13:19
Can't say I know you personally Squeaky, but from what I've "seen" of uoionline and the interviews, you seem like an average Joe who has done some cool things. If you can get some grassroots support, go for it!

I am planning my own hike this coming year so I can't throw a lot of money around, but I have an affinity for anyone who hauls bricks for aliving! :) (Great-granddad, Pop and Dad actually worked for a living. I dink around on a computer! ;) ) I'll have to throw in a few bucks to the virtual hat.

Good luck!

Programbo
01-26-2006, 20:34
well here is the next 'you dont stand a chance'......'it cant be done' challenge i have set myself. i plan to hike the appalchian trail with support in less than 40 days. it will require 55+ miles per day come rain or shine. generally any positive input will be greatly appreciated.

This isn`t a "hike" but simply some sort of ultra-marathon/extreme sports event that just happens to take place on the Appalachian Trial

Skidsteer
01-26-2006, 20:49
This isn`t a "hike" but simply some sort of ultra-marathon/extreme sports event that just happens to take place on the Appalachian Trial

So what? He's trying to break the speed record. No subterfuge, no wishy-washy, just flat-out hiking faster than most people run.

warren doyle
01-26-2006, 21:52
And here come the internet critics. I wonder what took them so long?
The plot thickens.
I just hope Matt has a thick skin.

Wonder
01-26-2006, 22:45
Squeeky, DO you know if there is a group like STEPS in the US. I'm hiking to celebrate my overcoming a bone disorder in my ankles. ( Successful transplant in '04) I checked with a couple small groups here, and I'll be writting the kids some letters from the trail as they track me. I'd really like to help in anyway I can.

Nean
01-27-2006, 01:47

I think you just described a thru hike:) I would think you, Programbo- would be a little more tolerant of those who dare to do it their way.

Nean
01-27-2006, 02:05
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">Spped hiker folk have mentioned that southbound starting in August is the way to go weatherwise and getting the tough stuff out of the way at the beginning! Any thoughts?</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">

Squeaky agrees w/ the Sobo and I think an August 1+/- start has merit but he can hardly wait until June:D

MOWGLI
01-27-2006, 08:04
And here come the internet critics. I wonder what took them so long?

Probably watching a TV Programbo. ;)

Fiddler
01-27-2006, 11:15

I looked in every dictionary I have available for the word "hike", even looked in some online dictionaries. They all have one definition in common: a hike is "a long walk". Most even add "especially in the countryside" or something to that effect. Not one of them said anything about a backpack, an established method, a sports event of any kind, or included or excluded any other conditions. So therefore, if anyone walks from Katahdin to Springer, I say they have taken a long walk, meaning "hike".

Mags
01-27-2006, 11:37

Ah geez...why does "HYOH" really mean "Hike your own hike as long as you do it my way".

If a person goes faster than you are they automatically too fast? Cripe.

There are many ways to enjoy the woods. Some people enjoy two hour lunch breaks at a vista. Cool.

Some people enjoy going 4 mph from sunrise to sunset. Also cool.

Why is one way superior to the other? Are you so full of yourself that YOUR way is the only correct and enjoyable way?

vipahman
01-27-2006, 14:18
What SQUEAKY is doing is more than a marathon a day at less than marathon speeds for about 40 days! My mind is boggled! GO SQUEAKY GO!

MOWGLI
01-27-2006, 14:43
Actually, it's just about 1-2 miles shy of two marathons a day. I don't have one 50+ mile day in me, much less 40 strung together.

Squeaky 2
01-27-2006, 14:58
sorry to be picky mowgli but it is 3 miles more than 2 marathons a day

rickb
01-27-2006, 14:58
Ah geez...why does "HYOH" really mean "Hike your own hike as long as you do it my way".

If a person goes faster than you are they automatically too fast? Cripe.

But wait.

This could make a good plotline in the movie they are doing.

Just as Squeeky is filmed killing himself going up steep climb, the direcrtor could cut away to Wingfoot (or a like minded sort) for leaned commentary about how wrong a speed hike is.

Next shot, triumph at the summit and a closeup of Squeeky savoring a moment at the top. Better still, a shot of him stooping at a stream for a drink with a deer. He looks up and both go running in opposite directions.

I can think of all sorts of possibilities.

I volunteer to be an extra shouting "Go Sqeeky" in the background, BTW.

rhjanes
01-27-2006, 15:00
everyone faster than me, is a maniac.
everyone slower, is an idiot.

Drive it, live it!!!

:D

Squeaky 2
01-27-2006, 15:03
i am holding auditions for hot trail girls to play the role of...............ah who cares aslong as they are hot!!!!

ARambler
01-27-2006, 15:15
I think the best two options for starting a record attempt would be around June 1 or around August 10. The early start maximizes daylight while the late start minimizes heat south of <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:place><st1:City>Dalton</st1:City>, <st1:State>MA</st1:State></st1:place>. Assume for this discussion that all of the “compromises” in between cannot be evaluated until the two extremes are understood.
1) How much does night hiking slow you down? I would think that night hiking might be much slower after 50 miles than in the morning. There are several factors to quantify, such as slower morning start, slower getting trail legs, slower average pace, and extra navigation time (i.e. lost). We could calculate total extra time assuming an extra 2 hr night hiking per day for 40 days and say: +5 min to start, +10 min to warm up, +10% for slower pace, and 15 min lost/10 hr in dark = 20 extra hour (over a day extra). Added to this must be the risk of injury.
2) How much does high heat and humidity slow you down? I would guess 10% for hot and 20 % for very hot and humid. Say 10 more hot days at 15 % slower would be 1.5 extra days, or essentially the same as the August start option. The June 1 start has additional issues of swollen stream crossings and possible bad weather in the Whites. However, I think that if Katahdin is clear, and the weather forecast is favorable, June 1 should be reasonable.
Rambler

MOWGLI
01-27-2006, 15:44
sorry to be picky mowgli but it is 3 miles more than 2 marathons a day

Sorry Squeaky. My math has always sucked.

warren doyle
01-27-2006, 18:12
Simply put, the main characters in this upcoming epic trek are Matt's mind, body, and spirit/soul moving past, by his own footpower, all the continuous white blazes from the summit of Katahdin to the summit of Springer in under 960 hours from when he takes the first step southward from Katahdin's summit.

main characters:1) Matt
2) Appalachian Trail
3) distance and time
#2 and #3 cannot be changed. Will Matt be able to adapt to these characters to achieve his goal?

supporting characters: 1) weather
2) length of daylight
3) Nean and Lone Wolf
#1 and #2 cannot be changed. Will Nean and Lone Wolf do all they can to 'support' Matt. Will Matt do all he can to allow Nean and Lone Wolf to 'support' him.
The only flexibility Matt has with #1 and #2 above is when and where he decides to start.

After that first step, this epic is just the main and supporting characters and everything else is superfluous.

I hope he, Nean, and Lone Wolf can stay focused on the important things.

MOWGLI
01-27-2006, 18:17
I wonder what the morning line is in Vegas?

Sly
01-27-2006, 18:44
What SQUEAKY is doing is more than a marathon a day at less than marathon speeds for about 40 days! My mind is boggled! GO SQUEAKY GO!

It's 20 miles a day more than he averaged on his Triple Crown hike. I hate to say it but I don't think it's going to happen.

Squeaky, I'm sure you feel you can do it but, if you can't consistently average the 55 a day, is there a drop out point like others have done attempting the record or will you settle for 50 day trip without a record?

Programbo
01-27-2006, 19:05
I think you just described a thru hike:) I would think you, Programbo- would be a little more tolerant of those who dare to do it their way.

No I just described a 21st Century thru hike :) Me tolerant?..I have to look to the left to see G. Gordon Liddy ;)

But I know what you mean..Forgive me I`m a trial dinosaur brought to life

calearn
01-27-2006, 19:58
It's 20 miles a day more than he averaged on his Triple Crown hike. I hate to say it but I don't think it's going to happen.

Squeaky, I'm sure you feel you can do it but, if you can't consistently average the 55 a day, is there a drop out point like others have done attempting the record or will you settle for 50 day trip without a record?
A 50 day trip would also set the record. I believe it would need to be below 46 mile days before a record would not be set.

EDIT-> OK my bad. You said 50 day trip, not 50 miles/day. OOPS :)

Squeaky 2
01-27-2006, 20:01
drop out point..................hahahahahahahahahahaha..... ........hahahahaha
do you seriously expect me to give up when the going gets tough.

Skidsteer
01-27-2006, 20:16
No I just described a 21st Century thru hike :) Me tolerant?..I have to look to the left to see G. Gordon Liddy ;)

But I know what you mean..Forgive me I`m a trial dinosaur brought to life

It's all good. I have a feeling the " G-Man " would admire Squeaky for the physical challenge that he has set for himself! Probably even suggest that he hold a lighter to his hand as he hikes-to make it more interesting!

warren doyle
01-27-2006, 20:31
Matt,

I don't think you will ever 'give-up' or 'quit', but I have learned (i.e. Sam Swisher-McClure) that sometimes even the most successful long distance endurance hikers have to 'stop'.
Give-up? - No
Quit? - No
Stop? - Maybe

It also will be interesting to see what effect the difference between the existing record (47 days 13 hours 31 minutes; 47:13:31) and your stated goal of 39:23:59 will have on your day-to-day decision-making.

Is it going to be 39:23:59 or nothing?
Or would 47:13:30 be an acceptable option if on-trail consequences dictated it?
How would you view 47:13:32?

I think this is more fascinating than the Olympics!

Sly
01-27-2006, 20:37
Just askin'

I'm sure there'll be days when you can only average 45 mpd. For everyone one of those you'll need to do a 65 md or average 60 for two days.

How will Nean and Lone Wolf ever keep up, even driving? ;)

Squeaky 2
01-27-2006, 20:38
3.5 mph 16 hours a day without a pack, doesnt seem so impossible when you break down the big numbers.

LostInSpace
01-27-2006, 21:09
Squeaky, I find your challenge fascinating! Can you paint a picture of what a typical day is like? From the time you wake up, how much time do you allow before you are on the trail? How ofter do you stop and for how long? How do you interact with the support team, etc. I am trying to get a picture in my head of your daily routine. Hey, if you have already described this somewhere else, then please point me to where I can find it.

Mo' power to you!

Sly
01-27-2006, 21:38
3.5 mph 16 hours a day without a pack, doesnt seem so impossible when you break down the big numbers.

It's still 50% faster than your latest TC hike, which I believe you also hiked 16 hour days. Granted you wont be carrying that much gear but, will the 12 pounds lost help that much? I guess that's the question.

Anyway, once you're down in NC, I'd be glad to help. Once you have a starting date, I'll punch in the numbers and take the week off.

Programbo
01-27-2006, 21:57
I can think of all sorts of possibilities.

With tongue planted firmly in cheek :p

How`s this...We see a John Denverish looking fellow and his ponytailed cutoffs wearing lady friend standing at the edge of a high cliff at dusk watching a blazing orange/red sunset lighting the western sky and savoring the peace and solitude of the mountains..Suddenly we hear a very rapid stomping of feet coming up the trial thru the trees..They turn and see Squeaky charging out of the woods puffing mightily,eyes glued like laser beams to the ground in front of him plotting his next 10 paces so as to conserve every valuable second..The girl smiles demurely and calls out,"Hi. Come and look at this beautiful sunset!"..Our hero Squeaky throws an aggrevated wave of annoyance in her direction never taking his eyes off the rapidly passing ground beneath his feet and mutters "I ain`t got time for that!" as he pounds on up the trial and vanishes out of sight towards his glory at the "finish line" :)

I`m teasing of course..I`m sure it is a super human physical achivement to accomplish what this individual does and he should be proud..I just believe it is two seperate worlds as to why people are where they are and doing what they do and sometimes they aren`t interchangeable simply because they happen to take place on the same stage

Sly
01-27-2006, 22:04
In a couple years, maybe I'll go for the senior record, over 55. Is there such a thing?

I could be the 1st! :D

MOWGLI
01-27-2006, 22:11
I just believe it is two seperate worlds as to why people are where they are and doing what they do and sometimes they aren`t interchangeable simply because they happen to take place on the same stage

Just "two seperate worlds"? Black & white? No shades of gray? How limiting.

IMO - people are out there for all kinds of reasons. Very few are better than another, although I prefer the non-motorized, human-powered mode. Sunsets are overrated though. I'll take a sunrise over a sunset almost every time.

Sly
01-27-2006, 22:20
I'll take a sunrise over a sunset almost every time.

Yeah, I like them better too. I made it a point to get up for it at Antler's Campsite and wsn't dissappointed. Sitting on the shore with coffee mug in hand. That cigarette had to be the best!

Nean
01-27-2006, 22:26
I think he was doing 12-14 hr days, at least down this way and his pack was in the 30s at times; thru the Smokys for instance. One of the things that strikes me about Squeaky is that he has no doubts. Many of us have tested our limits and found out what they are. He will test himself here, but I think it is possible!

My guess is Squeaky won't spend to much time w/ us and very little time in camp. 16 walking 7 sleeping and and hour to play with. for 39 days:) max;)

MOWGLI
01-27-2006, 22:31
So when does the clock start ticking? When he starts climbing Mt Katahdin, or when he leaves the summit sign on his way back down? Just curious.

Sly
01-27-2006, 22:41
His pack was in the 30's at times? I thought he carried about 12 pounds of gear. At 30 lbs. he'd need to be carrying at the least 6 days of food at 3lbs per day or 9 days of food at 2 lbs. Doing "big" miles you only need 3-4 at a time to make a 20 lb pack, except in extreme circumstances.

Again, the question being, does carrying 20 lbs. less mean 20 miles more? Not in my view, but I ain't Squeaky! ;)

Nean
01-27-2006, 22:56
Extreme circumstances. He went to fontana from hot springs and when he left his pack was in the 30s.
He walked in snow day after day, many hours at night and with many resupply places closed. So no weight, no snow, no resupply problems, no bitter cold, much more daylight and 2-3 hours more hiking per day, plus he has another TC worth of trail legs, etc., and the trail is still fresh in his mind. And who knows, maybe LW and myself could be worth an extra half mile here or there. :)

MOWGLI
01-27-2006, 22:58
And who knows, maybe LW and myself could be worth an extra half mile here or there. :)

Whaddya gonna carry him? :D

warren doyle
01-27-2006, 22:59
MOWGLI16 - As I stated before, the clock starts ticking when he takes the first step southward away from Katahdin's summit. It stops ticking when, and if, he has to stop his quest prematurely or whenever he reaches the final blaze and plaque atop Springer after having walked the entire trail from Katahdin's summit.
He has an 'untimed' leisurely ascent of Katahdin and a leisurely descent of Springer.

Squeaky will be unable to maintain 3.5 mph, 16-hour, 55-mile days for about 20% of the trail (i.e., 400 miles). 55 mile days in these areas will take from 18-20 hour days.

These daily mileages with 18-20 hour days have been done on the recent Long Trail record-breaking hikes but that is only 273-miles long.
It will be interesting to see how long it takes Matt to get to Glencliff, NH.

Sly
01-27-2006, 23:05
He went to fontana from hot springs and when he left his pack was in the 30s.

So what was that, it's only 107 miles, 3-4 days. I think I heard in the interview, his pack weight was 12 lbs.? In order to get over 30 for a 100 mile stretch, it would have to be 20 or more.

Sly
01-27-2006, 23:07
These daily mileages with 18-20 hour days have been done on the recent Long Trail record-breaking hikes but that is only 273-miles long.

It's also known that Cave Dog only needs 3-4 hours of sleep per night. Squeaky seems to like his!

MOWGLI
01-27-2006, 23:09
He'll have to do Maine in 6 days. That means Glencliff in about 8 days. That leaves approximately two weeks to do Glencliff, NH to the WV/Virginia line. I thought I was doing well to do Virginia in just about 30 days. He's gonna have to do it in 10 - or less!! Wow! That leaves Damascus to Springer in 8 days.

When you break it down like that, it kind of boggles the imagination.

Sly
01-27-2006, 23:16
When you break it down like that, it kind of boggles the imagination.

Yeah, sounds like a pipe dream or an endorphin overdose.

Nean
01-27-2006, 23:19
True Sly, he geared up for the Smokys. We weighed his pack. I think he had extra weight up north for awhile too. He came thru here after the interview?

Nean
01-27-2006, 23:23
Whaddya gonna carry him? :D

We were going to pace him until we found out that was NOT supporting him!:rolleyes:

Nean
01-27-2006, 23:31
Yeah, sounds like a pipe dream or an endorphin overdose.

You stole my quote from this summer Sly:D

MOWGLI
01-27-2006, 23:32
So Nean, LW or Squeaky. What do you think of my breakdown above? Can you make Glencliff on Day 8, or does the Team allow more time for Maine and the Whites, and try and make up time elsewhere? And is it possible to makeup time elsewhere if you have to average 55 MPD throughout? That's PA in a hair over 4 days. VT in just over 3 days. CT, MA, NY, NJ & MD in an eyeblink. As they say in New England, that's wicked crazy. :bse

Nean
01-27-2006, 23:52
I think he will focus on hours per day walking. If he gets behind, he will turn it on, whenever, wherever possible. I'll be surprised if he "stops" unless injured. This hike isn't just about his personal challenge.

Sly
01-28-2006, 00:20
This hike isn't just about his personal challenge.

It's not, what is it about then?

Nean
01-28-2006, 03:46
Very cool. www.steps-charity.org.uk/home.php (http://www.steps-charity.org.uk/home.php)

Another one of your peeves Sly? :)

Nean
01-28-2006, 03:54
I wanted to edit out Another, but sometimes you can't- edit. Why is that??:confused:

Squeaky 2
01-28-2006, 12:54
my daily mileage took into account for alot more than pack wieght. my average miles of 32 for 239 days included, very high/record snow pack in the sierras, hitching to and from towns (as long as 5 hours for a ride), grocery shopping, queing at the post office and store, drying sleeping bags, laundry, losing 2 seperate days with post office hours, various injuries, travel between trails ( 6 days), first time navigation difficulties on the CDT, learning how to use map, compass, gps. learning how to use ice axe and crampons in the sierras, learning how to snow shoe in the mahoosucs, a day lost changing a pole, many hours lost changing footwear near the end, record rain in maine causing terrible flooding, 3 times record oct. snow on washington, night hiking, well over 1500 miles on snow, ending the last of the 800 miles of AT with 80% snow coverage, frost bite.............

and bear in mind on my only 16 hour day on the trail last year i hiked 48 miles to chestnut knob shelter in 2-8 inches of snow and ice. dealing with night hiking, finshing the day post holing in a snow storm, hiking in heavy winter clothing............ now change that around to summer temps. shorts and vest, dry shoes, no pack, no snow, longer daylight, no navigation troubles, no ice................. how much further do you think i could have gone with these conditions?

i am also confused what 400 miles of the trail i cant average 55 miles a day on???? i am assuming you mean maine/newhampshire? i can do those climbs at 3 mph even with a pack.

pipedreams and endorvine rushes....? hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha no sly, its called determination

Fiddler
01-28-2006, 13:36
Don't listen to any of the naysayers Squeaky. If you can't do it that means it can't be done. Can't be there to help on the trail but I'll be supporting you with U.S. dollars. And I don't put my money into anything that I don't believe in all the way.

Squeaky 2
01-28-2006, 13:43
thats awesome fiddler, your support is very much appreciated and will go a long way to helping me achieve this goal, only one thing left to say......... welcome to the the team! thanks!!!

Sly
01-28-2006, 15:58
I wanted to edit out Another, but sometimes you can't- edit. Why is that??:confused:

I have very few peeves. Even though I don't agree with charity hikes or "funding" hikes it's not a peeve. I offered to help Squeaky on trail once he gets down here which is about the extent I willing to go supporting someone elses hike. Still, not sure how this topic was raised...

Sly
01-28-2006, 16:08
Squeaky, by the way, I was one of your biggest supporters during your Triple Crown hike and spread the news here and on the backcountry.net lists. I never doubted you could hike the TC in a single year but I admit I was quite surprised you were able to knock off so much time from Brian's hike.

Nean once mentioned that you set the standard by starting so late allowing less time to finish, but on the otherhand you didn't subject yourself to starting January 1st either.

Anyway, I'm not saying you can't do it, I'm just trying to be realistic about the vastly increased daily mileage. Best of luck. I'll be down here in NC waiting for you.

warren doyle
01-28-2006, 16:21
Great response Matt on post #165.
I'm glad you listed all the obstacles you had to overcome and the amount of non-hiking time which was included in figuring out your daily mileage. You certainly had far from ideal trail conditions in the High Sierra, ME/NH and in the southern Appalachians.
We will find out if everything you listed will be enough to make up the difference between 32 mpd and 55 mpd.
The 400 miles I refer to is from Logan Brook LT to Long Pond Stream LT; Little Bigelow LT to Glencliff, NH; West Hartford, VT to Governor Clement Shelter; Graymoor Monastery to Warwick Turnpike; Pen-Mar to Rod Hollow LT; Daleville to Angels Rest; Rt. 19E to Big Bald; and, Clingman's Dome to Wesser.
Q:Will the Appalachian Trail allow a human biped to traverse its entire length averaging 55 miles a day?
A: Matt is gong to try to find out the answer to this question.

Squeaky 2
01-28-2006, 16:24
subject myself to a jan 1st start,to a 5 month hike of the AT. you do make me laugh sly. hiking into winter towards a deadline is far tougher than hiking into spring.

Squeaky 2
01-28-2006, 16:38
one very important issue and possibly the biggest factor in the poor mileage average last year was not the weather but the fact that i had no experience with endurance hiking. i had no idea of how far i could go each day without over doing it. i had to hike so far within myself and that was frustrating. this year i get to find out

Sly
01-28-2006, 16:45
you do make me laugh sly.

That's good! :)

Only thing is, starting Jan 1st is in winter (Dec 21- March 21) Brian hiked nearly all of it. Without belittling your hike, which again was extrordinary, you didn't hike but a week of it.

lobster
01-28-2006, 17:47
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" width="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">If you are successful, it will be an amazing accomplishment! if you are not, but still lower the AT record, that will be a great accomplishment.

I remember reading about how difficult it was for David Horton, an ultramarathoner extraordinaire, his first few weeks on the trail.
</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">

Programbo
01-28-2006, 20:19
OK..This is probably a dumb question but just what is the current "record" and what are the specifics of who hiked it?...And as long as we`re at it..Can someone give me a brief run down on the record as it`s been lowered over the years since I`ve been out of commission for so long?..Or at least link me to a previous thread where this was discussed..Thank you

Sly
01-28-2006, 22:13
The record just got broke again last year by Trail Dog in 47 days 13 hours and 31 minutes.

In '99 Pete Palmer- 48 days, 20 hours and 11 minutes.

In '92 David Horton- 52 days.

I'm not positive but Ward Leonard may have hiked the the trail backpacking (no support ) in 60 days.

And I think Warren is up there with a 66 day hike, although I don't know if it was supported or not.

Programbo
01-28-2006, 22:24
That`s a help..Last I heard Branley Owen set the record and then I stopped hiking a few years after that :)

Sly
01-28-2006, 22:35
Whose record did Branley Owen break?

Programbo
01-28-2006, 23:06
Whose record did Branley Owen break?

I don`t think there really was a record at that point..Or perhaps there was..Eric maybe?..He just did it in such an insanely fast pace for that time that everyone just called it the record..I know these modern guys are burning up the trial but you gotta give guys like Eric their credit..He was a small guy and yet often carried 60 pounds of what by todays standards is primative gear and still did the trial in 80 days back when resupply and info was hit or miss...He may have actually hiked as fast as these stripped down guys now are doing even WITH that huge pack..He just stopped and talked with people and admired the views and cooked which is why he didn`t go much faster day wise

warren doyle
01-28-2006, 23:26
Sly's facts are accurate.
My 1973 record hike (66.3 days) broke Branley Owen's record of 72/73 days. I had no support from Springer to Daleville, VA and for almost the entire length of Maine (Grafton Notch to Katahdin). My father decided, on his own, to take some of his vacation days to come down to VA and meet me at road crossings.
My record was broken by about 8 hours by Jon Avery in 1978, a runner who had full support.
That record held until David Horton's record trek, (And let's not forget his 'pacer' that year - Scott 'Mainiac' Grierson.)
I have a pretty extensive file of AT endurance hiker's journals. When I have the time, I will look through them and start a new thread where I can put this accurate information in.
Unfortunately, Eric Ryback's credibility took a dip later when he made inaccurate claims about his PCT hike.

Programbo
01-29-2006, 10:28
>>>>Unfortunately, Eric Ryback's credibility took a dip later when he made inaccurate claims about his PCT hike.<<<<

What sort of claims did he make?..And was there actually a set PCT when he hiked it?<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Squeaky 2
01-29-2006, 13:44
sly there is no challenge in a 5 month thru hike of the AT. at any time of the year. oooooohhh please not another 16 mile day, how will i ever cope. hahahahahahaha but seriously when you start jan 1 you can avoid/sit out any bad weather. when you hike into winter with a deadline of 78 days then loose 2 weeks staright of the bat..........it just wasnt a challenge to do the AT first.

by the way i wont be running at all this year. its too tough on the body over mountains day in day out. i just think hiking is far quicker and easier on the body covering 2000 miles

lobster
01-29-2006, 14:55
experienced folks would also agree with fast walking being the best way to go!!

How about this for a question:

Is there much gain in speed ( thus, decreasing time per mile hiked ), effort ( wear and tear on the body), when you drop down from say a 20 pound pack to a 5 pound fanny pack?? I don't think it is much of a benefit.

In comparison, dropping from a 40 pound pack down to a 20 pound pack does seem to make things far easier.

This relates to the whole idea of being supported rather than unsupported and the need to increase from 32 miles per day(Squeaky, I would guess it would have been more like 40 if not for the issues you have already addressed here) to 55 miles per day.

I think desire will be the main factor!!! Not the benefits of a lighter pack, etc.

Interested in all thoughts.

Sly
01-29-2006, 15:06
Squeaky, where you get the 5 month figure? Brian took less took less than four. Regardless, 5 month thru-hike may not be a challenge to you, but it is to most, especially in the winter.

What would probably be a 1st and quite impressive, a completely self supported AT hike all in in winter, from Dec. 21 to March 21.

Whistler
01-29-2006, 15:40
How about this for a question:

Is there much gain in speed ( thus, decreasing time per mile hiked ), effort ( wear and tear on the body), when you drop down from say a 20 pound pack to a 5 pound fanny pack?? I don't think it is much of a benefit.
From my experience, yes, dropping from 20 to 5 is a significant difference. Even on just a long dayhike, even just for walking. It's not just the fact of moving less weight, but also an increace in mobility, agility, flexibility, efficiency, etc. Give it a try and see what you think!
-Mark

Squeaky 2
01-29-2006, 15:40
the 5 month figure? its the time i would have to complete the AT before needing to start the PCT. i'll tell you something more impressive is what is going on right now.trauma and his dog yoni are hiking the full quebuec to key west followed by the PCT and CDT. he plans to do it all in one year. jan 1 and going north from key west was not enough for him, the calendar year was a far easier way to do it.he could have hiked the whole route north with great weather through spring. he instead chose to start in quebuec nov 1st and go south. not only is it a full winter hike but he still has 5300+ miles to do after, with out knowing what the winter will leave behind for him on the trails out west. now that is impressive

just to answer lobster. dropping from 20lb to 5lb or even 0lb makes a huge difference to my speed. it is very hard for me to drop below 4mph without a pack. i know i can sustain 16+ hpd for 40 days. its how i am approaching it. wear and tear will be insanely less with out a pack. it will allow the extra hours.

Squeaky 2
01-29-2006, 15:51
thats a great point whistler. the increased agility is a huge factor. scrambling and rock hoping are far quicker. its also the pendulum effect of the pack wieght swinging side to side that wears you down.
when i summited katadyn last year i had a winter ieght pack and 5 days of food i lugged up. pepper and nacho who summited with me had less than 2lb. the difference in balance/agility/speed was incredible!

Mags
01-29-2006, 17:49
>>>>Unfortunately, Eric Ryback's credibility took a dip later when he made inaccurate claims about his PCT hike.<<<<

What sort of claims did he make?..And was there actually a set PCT when he hiked it?<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
It was well known that he hitched around certain sections on the PCT (as well as the Continental Divide route he took. No trail then!)

On PCT-L (Pacific Crest Trail mailing list) there are some active posters who did the PCT in 1977. Ryback's book was quite inspirational for them. But, those same people also said they had a term that year too: "rybacking". :) Equivalent to today's yellow blazing.

To answer another questions of youts, the PCT was more or less like todays CDT. A few portions done using existing trails (Oregon Skyline Trail, for example), a lot of FS road walks, a lot of piecing together your own route. I read a copy of a 1970s National Geographic that depicted the PCT of the time. Pretty fascinating. Also why I want to do the CDT before it becomes like the PCT, never mind the AT. :)

Even if his claims are embellished, the sheer joy of walking, exploring and seeing beauty around him came through loud and clear. Out of those books, Ryback inspired many people to take up a pack and explore our great country.

Tim Seaver
01-29-2006, 18:17
What would probably be a 1st and quite impressive, a completely self supported AT hike all in in winter, from Dec. 21 to March 21.

Sly, I was just wondering about that the other day!

Are you quite certain it's never been done? Anyone?

ARambler
01-29-2006, 18:27
I hiked over half the PCT in 1976. The first guidebook came out after Ryback and before 1976. I don't think the CA guidebook author hiked the whole trail either. I don't remember any trail that had been built specifically for the PCT yet. The OR and WA trails as well as the John Muir/Yosemite Tahoe Trail were well established. The other half the trail was probably a little harder to find than the current CDT trail. There was less information available in the pre-internet age. However, there were a lot of horse and jeep trails in CA that could be connected by road walks, so very few sections were cross country.

I pretty much agree with Mags post. When you know Eric embellished his hiking stories, you have to be a little skeptical about his bear stories. On the other hand, his total time was not that unbelievable compared to today's records.
Rambler

general
01-29-2006, 18:40

now that would be a lot of fun. i wanna go.

warren doyle
01-29-2006, 20:14
Tim,

A self-supported AT thru-hike from Dec. 21 to March 21 specifically has never been done. Ward Leonard who did the trail three times in 270 days (?) probably came the closest to these parameters.

I still feel the last great Appalachian Trail Endurance Challenge is doing the trail four times (unsupported) or five times (with support) in one calendar year.

By the way, just because 'winter' starts on an arbitrary date (12/21) doesn't mean that one will encounter snow/ice conditions on the trail after that date in the southern Appalachians.

When Matt went through Grayson Highlands/Mt. Rogers; Roan Highlands, etc. he encountered much more snow/ice in December than there is now in January. I was just up at Carvers Gap yesterday and there wasn't a bit of snow on the north side of Roan. So far it has been an 'easy' winter for northbounders starting on Springer on Jan. 1st.

Lone Wolf
01-29-2006, 20:26
I've been involved with supported AT record hikes more than anybody. I know a good horse when I see it. I'm willing to give up 40+ days of my time to aid this man in his quest. All you naysayers ain't ****. Cyberhikers are a dime a dozen. This kid is the ****. Eat your ***n bagels and dream. That's all I have to say about that.:cool:

Skidsteer
01-29-2006, 20:52
I've been involved with supported AT record hikes more than anybody. I know a good horse when I see it. I'm willing to give up 40+ days of my time to aid this man in his quest. All you naysayers ain't ****. Cyberhikers are a dime a dozen. This kid is the ****. Eat your ***n bagels and dream. That's all I have to say about that.:cool:

Word. :banana

lobster
01-29-2006, 21:17
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" width="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">Bagels make the hiker!!!</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">

Programbo
01-29-2006, 23:13
>>>>I still feel the last great Appalachian Trail Endurance Challenge is doing the trail four times (unsupported) or five times (with support) in one calendar year.<<<<

How about doing some sort of reverse thing?..I kep reading about these speed hikers carrying less and less, even to the point of carrying no pack..How about someone trying to set a record for hiking the fastest thru hike while carrying a minimum of say 50 pounds?..Or if someone wants to show what a real he-man he is..The fastest thru hike carrying 80 or 100 pounds?...Now THAT would be a test of physical endurance!

Nean
01-30-2006, 00:30
In 97 a guy known as Loves 2 Hike was so turned off by Jardines books (and no one believeing that he could do it) that he hiked with 55 lbs and did it in less time than Ray, which was under 3 months, if I remember correctly. I don't remember ever seeing a hiker so fit. He was the 1st to finish as far as I know and would always not carry enough food between supply points, saying that hunger was incredibly motivating!

In 2000 a day or so before I got to Lake of the Crowds an Eric Ryback and family(3or4 kids) signed the register. I wondered if it was him and thought most likely. He was a kid when he hiked,(?) 16 AT 17 CDT 18 PCT, and was like 80%(my guess) of hikers who get their completion certificate. Backpacker magazines 1st issue centered on his unprecedented TC. Funny, 25 years later BP brings this up again, not knowing they had been duped! [thanks be to Wookie, I better give them another call] ;) They had me fax the information from the guidebook, who have always pointed out, Eric lied. If you know the trail; you can tell so in his book. Even so, he did inspire many people before he was exposed and vanished.

Sorry if I used the wrong word Sly, just trying to give you a hard time:D
I hope you do show up this summer, we will have fun! Thank you for your support of the sub40 challenge....Steps for steps...;)

LW is right, we've both been around many hikers. Whenever I meet someone who tells me "You can't" I think what they really mean is "I can't." It is hard for me to imagine too; but not Squeaky, not at all, and that in itself makes me think this is possible! I'm changing his name to 'Biscuit when he breaks 40!:D

Sly
01-30-2006, 00:41
Sly, just trying to give you a hard time
I hope you do show up this summer, we will have fun! Thank you for your support of the sub40 challenge....Steps for steps...

I know Nean, I'm not offended. I'll be there. Who knows, maybe you'll even turn me around about the "charity" angle, but I doubt that! ;)

Nean
01-30-2006, 13:35
More good news, ULA will be making Squeakys pack(s) and Jeff at MRO, who has already been a big help is working on some other things as well. All the positive support really gives you a good feeling! Love it!!

I've opened an account (on the trail;) ) in Hot Springs. We discussed this and Squeaky wants any money left to be donated 100% to Whiteblaze! This account will be supporting the support and all that donate will be recognized publicly or privately if you prefer. I can/will show how the money was spent too. I just don't want anyone to wonder :confused: if. BTW, No beer will be purchased with these donations!:D I'll look into PayPal later today but as of now donations can be sent to:
Greene County Bank
P.O. Box 397
164 Bridge Street
Hot Springs, NC 28743
Make check or money order out to Namie Bacile, and please note if you prefer to remain anonymous. Thank You!!:)

Mags
01-30-2006, 13:41
BTW, No beer will be purchased with these donations!:D

Awwh..I was going to donate a few bucks just for the purpose of buying Squeaky a couple of pints. :)

Nean
01-30-2006, 13:56
We can start a beer fund in your honor Mags!, cheers...hic...:D

Squeaky 2
01-30-2006, 14:29
<HR style="COLOR: #339966" SIZE=1> <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->I've been involved with supported AT record hikes more than anybody. I know a good horse when I see it. I'm willing to give up 40+ days of my time to aid this man in his quest. All you naysayers ain't ****. Cyberhikers are a dime a dozen. This kid is the ****. Eat your ***n bagels and dream. That's all I have to say about that.:cool:

thanks L. Wolf

i would also like to thank everyone who is helping out so far. and there is alot! jeff at mount rogers outfitters in damascus has been emense, brian at ULA has offered to custom make packs, which is way cool as i wont have to cry whilst stripping the P1 pack jeff sent me!!! that would have broke my heart!!!

thanks alot folks and i will have more info on the charity very soon!

Mags
01-30-2006, 14:37
ve t
We can start a beer fund in your honor Mags!, cheers...hic...:D

Well, I'll just have to donate now. Beer is very important for a successful hike. ;)

Hikerhead
01-30-2006, 14:49
Squeaky, I can help out when you get around the Roanoke Va area. Just let me know what you need.

Squeaky 2
01-30-2006, 15:04
nice one hikerhead....................we need girls and plenty of them!!! ohhhh yeah!

thanks i will let you know. may be if you leave your number with the road crew. it might be real nice if they could have a base for the area for a day or 2. get washed etc.

lobster
01-30-2006, 15:21
Squeaky,

You planning on having the support team at times hike with you? I know you hike at a real fast clip, but maybe a little companionship once in a while might keep up your spirits when your feeling a little down, keep your mind off the miles, keep you awake, etc.?

You wear headphones?

LW,

You mentioned you've been doing some running. How would your rate your current state of fitness?

Lone Wolf
01-30-2006, 15:47
Squeaky,

You planning on having the support team at times hike with you? I know you hike at a real fast clip, but maybe a little companionship once in a while might keep up your spirits when your feeling a little down, keep your mind off the miles, keep you awake, etc.?

You wear headphones?

LW,

You mentioned you've been doing some running. How would your rate your current state of fitness?
Current fitness? Excellent. I run 5 miles just about every day.

Sloghound
01-30-2006, 18:27
Hello, fellow Squeaky fans...I'm quoting here, but the gray quote box eluded me.
.................................................. .................................................. ....
I'll look into PayPal later today but as of now donations can be sent to:
Greene County Bank
P.O. Box 397
164 Bridge Street
Hot Springs, NC 28743
Make check or money order out to Namie Bacile, and please note if you prefer to remain anonymous.
.................................................. .................................................. ..Who is Namie Bacile? Just curious.
Should mailed donations be addressed to the attention of any particular person at the bank, or a note enclosed asking that it be deposited directly?

Has a specific name, formal or informal, been picked out for Squeaky's attempt? I doubt that it will be called the Bagel Eater Challenge.......

Go, Squeaky!

Sloghound

Hikerhead
01-30-2006, 18:49
nice one hikerhead....................we need girls and plenty of them!!! ohhhh yeah!

thanks i will let you know. may be if you leave your number with the road crew. it might be real nice if they could have a base for the area for a day or 2. get washed etc.

Ha ha..I can lead you to the Hooters just down the road. I'll go find the crew cheif to leave my number with. I think that's Lone Wolf. I'll go look.

Fiddler
01-30-2006, 19:08
Has a specific name, formal or informal, been picked out for Squeaky's attempt? I doubt that it will be called the Bagel Eater Challenge.......
Go, Squeaky!

Sloghound
This will be the 2000 MILES WITH NO BEER challenge. I don't think that's ever been done.

Programbo
01-30-2006, 19:40
In 2000 a day or so before I got to Lake of the Crowds an Eric Ryback and family(3or4 kids) signed the register. I wondered if it was him and thought most likely.

I was looking thru the Business section of the Sunday paper a few years ago and it had a profile of Fortune 500 CEO`s and one was an "Eric Ryback" who was a slightly balding middle aged man in a 3 piece suit behind a huge desk..He bore a faint resembalance to the Eric I remember but couldn`t be sure

Mags
01-30-2006, 20:16
I was looking thru the Business section of the Sunday paper a few years ago and it had a profile of Fortune 500 CEO`s and one was an "Eric Ryback" who was a slightly balding middle aged man in a 3 piece suit behind a huge desk..He bore a faint resembalance to the Eric I remember but couldn`t be sure

Yep...seems to be the same Eric Ryback. Not surprising. The same drive and ambition to do three largely unexplored trails (the PCT and the nascent CDT esp.) probably transfers to the business world, too.

http://www.fundalarm.com/arc0399.htm

"Take a hike: That's pretty much what the new bosses at Lindner have told Eric Ryback.....Fortunately, he's been there before.....From Ryback's official Lindner biography:

<center><table> <tbody><tr><td width="50">
</td><td>Eric was the first person to hike all three of the trans-national wilderness trails; he hiked the 2,155-mile Appalachian Trail in 1969, as a 17-year old; the following summer he hiked the 2,500-mile Pacific Crest Trail; two years later, he completed backpacking’s "Triple Crown" by hiking 3,000 miles along the Continental Divide. He authored a book about his achievements – "The High Adventure of Eric Ryback."</td></tr></tbody></table></center>

Nean
01-30-2006, 22:55
Hello, fellow Squeaky fans...I'm quoting here, but the gray quote box eluded me.
.................................................. .................................................. ....
Greene County Bank
P.O. Box 397
164 Bridge Street
Hot Springs, NC 28743
Make check or money order out to Namie Bacile, and please note if you prefer to remain anonymous.
.................................................. .................................................. ..Who is Namie Bacile? Just curious.
Should mailed donations be addressed to the attention of any particular person at the bank, or a note enclosed asking that it be deposited directly?

Namie "Nean" Bacile at your service:D I asked the same Question at the bank and Mr. Wood assured me any check or MO made out to me would be deposited. Only 3 people work in the bank; and perhaps only one would deal w/ the mail? That is another reason to thank everyone personally, so if you don't here from me....
Maybe put attn: sub40 challenge on/in the envelope- couldn't hurt

Squeaky 2
01-31-2006, 03:11
This will be the 2000 MILES WITH NO BEER challenge. I don't think that's ever been done.......................

actually i did 7700 last year with out beer............unfortunately no women aswell, that was tough!

Nean
01-31-2006, 03:56
You went w/o women, Eric went w/o walking! That was an interesting artical Mags. They even added that truthful book review. Poor Eric, they seem to imply that his lack of integrity was why he was sent rybacking:-?

Lone Wolf
01-31-2006, 05:53
This will be the 2000 MILES WITH NO BEER challenge. I don't think that's ever been done.......................

actually i did 7700 last year with out beer............unfortunately no women aswell, that was tough!
Horton doesn't drink beer.

Squeaky 2
01-31-2006, 07:53
This will be the 2000 MILES WITH NO BEER challenge. I don't think that's ever been done.

Squeaky did his whole Triple Crown with no Beer, so I think then it was the 7600 + miles., I doubt that will be done again.

Lone Wolf
01-31-2006, 07:55
I've hiked over 16,000 miles without smoking crack.

Squeaky 2
01-31-2006, 07:56
Just got up and did not read all the posts, Squeaky had already answered before he went to work,

but hey, nice talking to you all again, sort of miss all the questions and answers as Squeaky now rules the computer for a few months before he heads back out again.

bye for now

stef squeaky's mum :) :)

Sly
01-31-2006, 08:56
You went w/o women, Eric went w/o walking! That was an interesting artical Mags. They even added that truthful book review. Poor Eric, they seem to imply that his lack of integrity was why he was sent rybacking

LOL... Nean, you're something else. The "truthful book review" did you write it?

Twofiddy
01-31-2006, 09:56
general if you could put something together that is as light as possible, with a bug net sewn in. maybe a single stitch on the top to allow the bug net to drape over the top half of the bag. i hate the bugs at night buzzing around my face, and sleep is crucial. any thoughts? about 6ft tall by the way.i aim to hike 16+hours each day to answer davidnh query.rick i think you have a very good point. it actually got lighter as i went south last year, something i overlooked, so well done!great to see such awesome support!

So you are going to do this and sleep in shelters?? Not an RV with climate controlled comfort like the others who have done this fast paced thing have done?? Sounds interesting.

This winter has been very mild in the whites and the green mountains. I realize that you must get out of Main first, but I think that you may have picked the right year to do this trip.

warren doyle
01-31-2006, 11:02
Stef annd Matt,

Sorry to inform you that Matt will have to walk a little bit farther to claim the 'number of miles without a beer' record; it is presently 30,000 miles - held by yours truly.

Tha Wookie
01-31-2006, 11:22
By the way, just because 'winter' starts on an arbitrary date (12/21) doesn't mean that one will encounter snow/ice conditions on the trail after that date in the southern Appalachians.

I understand your point about "winter" not necessarily meaning conditions associated with winter (snow, ice, cold, etc.), but the winter solstice (12/21 or 12/22, like in 2006) is not an arbitrary date at all.

It is the day that the sun is in the southern most position of the year (directly over the tropic of Capricorn) in the sky of the northern hemishpere. Thus, it is the shortest day of the year.

calearn
01-31-2006, 12:28
I'm curious how you reach the 7,700 miles?

From your journal you have the PCT at 2,655 miles. This is 5 miles longer than the amount listed on the PCTA site and seems reasonable.

From your journal you have the CDT at 2,700 miles. My adding of the Wolf guides and Jonathan's maps get me mid 2,600's and 2,700 sounds within range to me.

The AT is widely recognized at 2,175.

Your journal totals to 7,530. Where did the additional 170 or so miles now come from? Are you counting getting lost? Did you take longer routes than Jonathan's maps and the wolf guide? Did I add up the CDT wrong? Do you believe the mileage Wolf and Jonathan calculated is too little? Etc.?

Thanks

Mags
01-31-2006, 12:32
You went w/o women, Eric went w/o walking! That was an interesting artical Mags. They even added that truthful book review. Poor Eric, they seem to imply that his lack of integrity was why he was sent rybacking:-?

You know, he may have hitched around in some places..but can you imagine hiking the Continental Divide in 1973 ?!?!?! In his book, there are photos from places you can only hike into.

I really would like to meet him and talk to him. Sure, he may have skipped a few small sections here and there, but overall what he did was a lot tougher than any of us did today. (No whiteblaze.net to setup a beer fund. :D). Considering he was only 20 years old, that is esp. impressive. At twenty years old, I still had not done my first backpacking trip yet!

Do I agree with his "rybacking" (the mileage just did not add up), can't say I do. But do I think Ryback is one of the pioneers of our lifestyle? Absolutely.

Again, his book inspired people to take up a pack and explore. A legacy that not many people can claim.

What can I say. My love of history makes me love "trail history' too! :)

Let me know when Pay Pal is setup, I'll donate to the Squeaky Beer Fund.

Mags
01-31-2006, 12:38
I'm curious how you reach the 7,700 miles?

From your journal you have the PCT at 2,655 miles. This is 5 miles longer than the amount listed on the PCTA site and seems reasonable.

From your journal you have the CDT at 2,700 miles. My adding of the Wolf guides and Jonathan's maps get me mid 2,600's and 2,700 sounds within range to me.

The AT is widely recognized at 2,175.

Your journal totals to 7,530. Where did the additional 170 or so miles now come from? Are you counting getting lost? Did you take longer routes than Jonathan's maps and the wolf guide? Did I add up the CDT wrong? Do you believe the mileage Wolf and Jonathan calculated is too little? Etc.?

Thanks

Many CDT hikers swear that that the mileage in the CDTS/CDTA guides are underreported. On a lesser scale, Coup from GoLite maintains that the Colorado Trail (shares 200 miles with the CDT) is closer to 500 than the reported 468.

Long story short, I think for the CDT the mileage is still not truly known. Suspect this mileage factor is true for a lesser extent to the PCT and maybe the AT. I've seen many people list the total Triple Crown mileage as 7700 by a few sources.

Nean
01-31-2006, 14:03
Based on what I've done I'd say those estimates are low. Its easy to count squares on the map to get a general ideal, but untill someone puts a wheel to the elevation +/- it will be up for debate.

I agree Mags, Eric inspired a generation. I'd like to meet him too and see if he is a likable person. If he has carried his dishonesty to the present, I probably wouldn't. I think some of his rides were quite long actually. Its too bad. The only folks he can still con are those outside the community, ie, those experts at BP:-? His accomplishment for the time was awesome, it did not need to be embellished. For some though, fame seems more important than honor.

Mags
01-31-2006, 14:22
For some though, fame seems more important than honor.

I am willing togive him some slack as he was young. In all honesty, how many people want to be judged by what they did when they were 17-20 yo?

I did some stupid things at that age (even more so than now! :) ). Many young men are prone to exagerrating claims. It was true 35 years ago. It was true in ancient times, it is true today. It will be true 35 years from now.

Does not make it right...but, again, I am willing to give some slack to a person at that age. Your right..what he did was awesome and he did not have to embellish. I'll just look at for what (I think) it was: He was a young man who did some awesome adventures. As a young man, he got caught up in a bit of strutting.

When it is all said and done..still would love to talk to the guy.

Sloghound
01-31-2006, 15:01
I nominate the St. Pauli Girl, in trail runners, tights, and a fleece dirndl.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/smilies/welcome.gif

Sloghound

Nean
01-31-2006, 15:14
When it is all said and done..still would love to talk to the guy.

I'll agree with that.:) Hey, invite him to the Rockies ruck! Wonder if he has ever sat in(cognito) at any hiker gatherings?:o I wonder if shame has kept him away? :confused: Fame shame demons, bummer. Now thats a heavy load! He's not the first or last to suffer that fate. I do not envy him. I do wish him well.

Mags
01-31-2006, 15:35
I'lI wonder if shame has kept him away? :confused:

Could be. Sure he can google like anyone else! Or maybe it is a part of his life that is in the past..so let it stay in the past?

Eric, if you read this, the organizers of the ADZPCTKOP would esp. like to meet you. If you are in Colorado, shoot me an e-mail. Go to the ALDHA Gathering. :)

Programbo
01-31-2006, 19:43
>>>I agree Mags, Eric inspired a generation. I'd like to meet him too and see if he is a likable person...... His accomplishment for the time was awesome, it did not need to be embellished. For some though, fame seems more important than honor.<<<

Yes whether he did or didn`t hike all the trials he did inspire a lot of people to first take up backpacking in the pre-internet/magazine days..Now what`s most impressive even if it`s just half true is that his brother accompanied him along half the CDT for his first hike ever..That`s insane..I know people who have been hiking their whole lives who couldn`t have pulled that off especially with 1970 era equipment...I also agree that even if he had admited to side stepping specific areas I wouldn`t have cared as it was more the hiking experience I was getting from him and not the actual being the first or fastest part of the story..Heck when I was section hiking the trial and came upon a stretch I knew was hum drum or I had hiked before and it was raining and I was tired and just wanted to get to the next town to buy some chocolate bars I`d hit the valley and hop in someone pickup and shoot on ahead..Now for a legit "thru hike" I wouldn`t suggest that but just for a several week hiking trip to get away from it all back in the day where I wasn`t suppose to be accomplishing anything except being out there who`s to care?

Sly
01-31-2006, 20:29
Eric can come to the SoRuck, I won't give him any **** ! By the time he was 20 he helped insprire a generation of hikers, and we're it. I could care less if he skipped a few miles. Nothing off my skin.

Nean
01-31-2006, 21:05
I can be inspired by fact or fiction. Integrity also inspires. Wouldn't it be great if Eric came to a ruck, stood up and said, Hey, I skipped a few........:-? .........ok hundreds of miles, but I loved it and I wanted to share it and I'm sorry that as a young man I exaggerated. He'd get a standing O that would bring the house down; and I'd put Eric right up their w/ br and Scott W, who set the stage for those like Squeaky and John Brinda.:D
Have you met the 1st TC?

Sly
01-31-2006, 21:15
Have you met the 1st TC?

No, I haven't met Eric yet! But besides him, who? Steve Queen?

Sly
01-31-2006, 21:16
No, I know Jim Pod...

Sly
01-31-2006, 21:19
I cheated and looked it up on ALDHAWest. Dave Odell. I haven't met the man, but would like to.

Nean
01-31-2006, 21:52
Yeah I met Jim Podlensky is it? Nice guy. Could not recall Mr.Odells first name. If I meet him I'll ask him straight up: Did you ryback?:D

Mags
01-31-2006, 23:01
He'd get a standing O that would bring the house down;
At the Ruck I am organzing, there is only going the be 25 people. Would not be too much of a standing ovation I'm afraid. :)

I think I'll just offer him a beer and ask him many, many, many questions instead. I'll have him autograph his section of the Roledale AT books I have, too.

(Where there is a gear list of 15 lbs..with 1968 equipment!)

Have you met the 1st TC?[/quote]

Eric Ryback? Can't say that I have. :) (Hey..if we take everyone elses claims at face value...don't we have to take his too? ;)

As always, you have to say the firsrt REPORTED triple crowner. Who knows if someone is out there who has done all three trails and not bothered reportng to be the first?

(Damn..I am house sitting and have an Internet connection. One little peak at e-mail turns into "Hmm..let's discuss TC attempts". Evil! Evil! :D)

Sloghound
02-01-2006, 00:18
I read an article about Eric Ryback's AT Thru, in a Boston Sunday Globe magazine around 1970 (?!?). There was one photo of him, up on a rounded slab of rock, silhouetted against the sky. My first image of a Thruhiker!
.........It is still ***burned*** into my memory.........

He reportedly buried caches of food in widemouth mayo jars at road crossings as he was driven south by his family to the start. I pictured myself, northbound, digging up jars as I went on my imaginary thru. No, there were no bagels in the jars.

Later, when I read of Eric's flexible hiking and memoir style, I was saddened. But then, I looked at the brighter side! He infected me with Thruhiker Fever. I hope I don't ryback on my trip, but I will send him a note and thank him for his inspiration after my long distance hike. You, too, Warren!

But, Squeaky is a far better role model than ER! Support team money on the way, as soon as possible.

Sloghound

lobster
02-01-2006, 12:37
This is turning out to be a Backpacker Magazine style adventure!!!

Fiddler
02-01-2006, 12:51
You like it? Then support it! Help make it a success. I sent a check the first day the address was posted. From reading of his other accomplishments I feel that if anyone can do this, it is Squeaky.

lobster
02-01-2006, 15:46
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" width="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">Squeaky,

What's your resting heart rate?

Squeaky 2
02-01-2006, 15:57
lobster i dont have the faintest idea.

Lone Wolf
02-01-2006, 16:06
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" width="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">Squeaky,

What's your resting heart rate?
Mine is 48

Nean
02-01-2006, 18:02
This is turning out to be a Backpacker Magazine style adventure!!!

What exactly is a BP mag. style adventure? Do you have some facts to present? Are you jealous? angry? What is your point?

Nean
02-01-2006, 18:20
Greene County Bank
P.O. Box 397
164 Bridge Street
Hot Springs, NC 28743

Well folks, PayPal is a no go. I need a website to make it happen and it would be much easier if folks would take the time to send a check or money order to the above address. Sorry for the inconvenience. Again, if any money is leftover- it will go 100% to Backpacker Mag.(haha, just joking); Whiteblaze will receive it all!
Thank you Fiddler! and I will personally let everyone know when their donation is received.

lobster
02-01-2006, 22:17
Lone Wolf,

Didn't Horton have a resting heart rate of 27 or 29 a few years back.

Horton,

What's the number now and at your peak!

Sloghound
02-02-2006, 10:26
Hello, all!

I'm curious. Is there a standard name yet for Squeaky's attempt? A range of name candidates? How about the.....Hod Carrier 2175?

Picking a name might lead to a gift (to whomever) of a domain name registration of that name, which could be tacked onto some free or inexpensive web space. Warren Doyle of low-tech-approach fame, now has his name registered as a domain name, and an associated website. Are there other sites in the "quick long distance hiking" community?

Support Team Money now enroute.

Nean
02-02-2006, 11:12
First of all, Thank you Sloghound! And as for the name, the "AT sub40 challenge" kinda says it all. Maybe add- steps for "steps" and that would say it all? Btw, I get the 2175, but Hod carrier? yeah ok, I looked it up, Squeaky could carry a symbolic brick the whole way and auction it off for "steps":D ..... but something tells me probably not.:o