PDA

View Full Version : Packing a frameless pack....

saltysack
11-22-2016, 18:53
My MLD prophet should be here any day and hoping to get out in a few weeks to do southern half of SNP w the pup. I got the basics but curious as to which pad to put against the interior against my back as I carry a 4 panel section of a zlite pad for pup and or my sit pad in addition to a large xlite or xtherm...I asked Ron about adding straps to outside of pack on back as GG does for pad but he said would put weight to far off the back. Inside the pack all must stay dry gear i.e. Quilt, dogs bag, sleep cloths and down parka inside compactor bag in first then solong6 in plastic grocery bag so it's wider instead of long and narrow with factory stuff sack. Food bag on top. Everything else in outside pockets. I had Ron make the top close like his cuben model as don't think I'll need all the space and want to keep it filled out as others recommended...packing tips??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rashamon12
11-22-2016, 19:44
i would just recommend from my personal experience putting the clothes and sleeping bag along your back so it is both soft and supportive. from there its just making sure the weight is balanced in the bag and comfortable.

MuddyWaters
11-22-2016, 20:21
Rons answer was ...questionable... , because having the pad outside the pack, or inside, doesnt move where the weight is located one bit.
Its still pad thickness + fabric thickness off of your back on a frameless pack. His packs not designed for this, and he may not want to do it, thats reason enough without making up excuses.

Use your dogs pad folded against the inside of the back, put it in first. Thats enough padding. Or your sitpad may be enough.
For me, 2.5 oz of CCF evazote is plenty and still keeps pack conformable to back. Zlite is pretty stiff when doubled I think. You dont want to feel hard objects against back, or a "break" where objects like a foodbag sit on top of a tent. That edge will be annoying if you dont have the pad in there.

Id put quilt/bag in normal shaped stuffsack, stuff into bottom after CCF is in, it will sort of lock into place when pushed down there. This will hold the CCF in place, and possibly make a rounded shape for your lower back.

With 4 sections of zlite, it might work to wrap 3 sides of the pack, leaving panel against back more flexible and conforming to back

Plan to spend a few hrs just playing with packing it different ways, and wearing for 15 min , to figure out what works best for you and your gear.

Malto
11-22-2016, 20:33
I put my xlite against my back, then load extra food bag, quilt in bivy, day food bag, stove, tarp and put extra clothing on top. If I don't have an extra food bag then I slightly inflate the xlite to take up volume in the Burn. I found alternating hard layer, soft layer allows everything to lock up and stay solid. This setup ends up being very rigid and very comfortable against the back. I was really surprised that an xlite would work as well as it did against my back. Prior to have my first Burn I had n old golite jam and used a rigid foam pad. I actually like the xlite better.

saltysack
11-22-2016, 20:39
I put my xlite against my back, then load extra food bag, quilt in bivy, day food bag, stove, tarp and put extra clothing on top. If I don't have an extra food bag then I slightly inflate the xlite to take up volume in the Burn. I found alternating hard layer, soft layer allows everything to lock up and stay solid. This setup ends up being very rigid and very comfortable against the back. I was really surprised that an xlite would work as well as it did against my back. Prior to have my first Burn I had n old golite jam and used a rigid foam pad. I actually like the xlite better.

This is what I'd prefer if it works for me so I can keep the zlite outside for sit pad at breaks...this was something I liked about the gorilla....I'll try both ways and see how it works.....thx

saltysack
11-22-2016, 20:44
Rons answer was ...questionable... , because having the pad outside the pack, or inside, doesnt move where the weight is located one bit.
Its still pad thickness + fabric thickness off of your back on a frameless pack. His packs not designed for this, and he may not want to do it, thats reason enough without making up excuses.

Use your dogs pad folded against the inside of the back, put it in first. Thats enough padding. Or your sitpad may be enough.
For me, 2.5 oz of CCF evazote is plenty and still keeps pack conformable to back. Zlite is pretty stiff when doubled I think. You dont want to feel hard objects against back, or a "break" where objects like a foodbag sit on top of a tent. That edge will be annoying if you dont have the pad in there.

Id put quilt/bag in normal shaped stuffsack, stuff into bottom after CCF is in, it will sort of lock into place when pushed down there. This will hold the CCF in place, and possibly make a rounded shape for your lower back.

With 4 sections of zlite, it might work to wrap 3 sides of the pack, leaving panel against back more flexible and conforming to back

Plan to spend a few hrs just playing with packing it different ways, and wearing for 15 min , to figure out what works best for you and your gear.

I'll try it both ways as suggested...I'd prefer to use neoair inside as frame and keep zlite outside so can use for sitpad at breaks....double duty...my sit pad during day and dog bed at night..thx again

saltysack
11-23-2016, 17:12
Well just got the "Wasabi" prophet in the mail...looks amazing! I threw my stuff in as y'all suggested as I would for a cold weather trip less water and a full food bag....feels amazing! Think I'm really going to like it...probably could have left load lifters off but they help since cinch down bag even further.... glad I did the roll top like on his cuben packs as you can really compress! Now can't wait to hit the trail with it!!!!