PDA

View Full Version : Cuben MLD Duomid vs Zpacks duplex..trying to drop some weight off my tent.....

saltysack
11-23-2016, 14:21
I realize it's apples vs oranges but see a plus with both styles...anyone have first hand experience with both?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MuddyWaters
11-23-2016, 14:36
Locus gear might be also be a consideration if you are considering a duomid

Top notch product , and most poles (130 cm) dont require a pole jack, unlike the duomid
Probably means give up a little room inside

just a consideration. No personal experience with them, but lots of fans. Ryan Jordan (BPL owner/founder) made the Khufu his single do it all shelter a few yrs ago.

A mid is strong enough to be a 4 season hiking (not mountaineering) shelter, pitched properly. Easiest shelter to pitch there is too, and can add inner half net. Perfect for 1 person, and flexible, dont bring net when not needed. Drawback is a little heavier than some other tarp options when dont need inner net, but it is one shelter that can do it all.

Studlintsean
11-23-2016, 14:42
Not cuben fiber but I own a silnylon Duomid and my brother has a Z-packs hexamid. Both are great tents but I simplicity of the duomid is hard to beat. There is plenty of room in it for me and my 80 lb dog with gear. I use the single pole setup as the dual pole setup was a bit too finicky for me. I'be considered the CF version but the price to save 4 oz doesn't quite seem worth it and I have not had issues with my duomid stretching that much. I typically set it up once I'm in camp and then retension once I go to bed.

Dogwood
11-23-2016, 14:46
MLD .75 CF Duomid owner. Don't own the ZP Duoplex but have slept in a few. When I want more interior space from the elements, having a heavy bulkier load out during winter(need to spread stuff out), if I'm hiking with a dog or sheltering up with another person, in snow in Japan or in New Zealand or Pacific Northwest in locations during rainy weather with potentially high winds I prefer the easier set up and more storm worthy Duomid.

If considering a mid you should also look at Locus Gear which has greater options than MLD. I like their Hapi in CF with the opening on the short side if I expect the likely hood of using with a dog or 2nd p. http://locusgear.com/items/hapi-ctf3/?lang=en I like their Khufu too.

saltysack
11-23-2016, 15:27
I like the space of a mid as i usually hike with my jrt and assuming my 10 year old will be coming more often.....I rarely go during warmer months when bugs are more likely but see MLD offers side nets rather than a separate net tent which seems like a heavy unnecessary option unless out during warmer buggy weather. Locus gear looks nice! Like the black color....what's the pricing like as I see it's a foreign company....I'll definitely be checking out this option. I was hoping Ron would offer deals on the cuben duomid before xmas but he said not likely on cuben....I'm a little aggravated he didn't offer the discount on my pack as I ordered it about 10 days prior to him posting his 20% off on packs...I may hit him up one more time....he's probably tired of me as I emailed him several times different questions about the pack.

Thx again....

MuddyWaters
11-23-2016, 15:36
Google used to covert locus page to english, and convert prices too. Dont seem to do that now.

Just use google to convert yen to dollars

Sit down first.

Its a little more than mld...

saltysack
11-23-2016, 15:47
Google used to covert locus page to english, and convert prices too. Dont seem to do that now.

Just use google to convert yen to dollars

Sit down first.

Its a little more than mld...

Yea...ouch!!!!$550.00.....

Studlintsean
11-23-2016, 19:18
There is a size comparison with my dog if that helps. I want a Duplex but if you're mostly doing Fall/ Winter hikes on the AT, is the netting really worth the extra money?

saltysack
11-23-2016, 19:56
There is a size comparison with my dog if that helps. I want a Duplex but if you're mostly doing Fall/ Winter hikes on the AT, is the netting really worth the extra money?

Perfect thx...
Another thing is the duplex floor is only 45" wide and I have 2 large neoair witch are 50" if I bring the wife....what are u using for the floor?

Studlintsean
11-23-2016, 20:14
I'm using polycro from GG which had been fine for solo use. With the dog I was using a piece of 2 mm painters cloth which I had clipped into the 4 corners. I have a Borah Gear bivy but really only use it if I need rain protection (which is rarely needed with so much room).

saltysack
11-23-2016, 20:30
I'm using polycro from GG which had been fine for solo use. With the dog I was using a piece of 2 mm painters cloth which I had clipped into the 4 corners. I have a Borah Gear bivy but really only use it if I need rain protection (which is rarely needed with so much room).

With a shelter of that size do you really need a bivy? Seems like that cancels out the weight savings of the mid....I get a bivy with a small tarp but wouldn't think would be needed...I have no experience with any tarps or bivys...thx for the useful info....

Studlintsean
11-23-2016, 20:44
No it's not really needed. I got it originally for a smaller Borah gear flat tarp. I did bring it to the WRR only because I hadn't been in the area (minus a 2 nighter in Utah) for an extended trip before. I did not really need it but did use it 2 nights when it was raining at bed time. You might need protection with 2 people but for solo use, you won't need a bivy and I have not used one during multiple days of rain on AT hikes.

MuddyWaters
11-23-2016, 23:04
Bug bivy is still handy. 6.5 oz silnylon floored one doubles as ground cloth With bathtub floor and protects from creepy crawlies if have to pitch in iffy areas .

I had To pitch hexamid In 12" weeds near A trail once, only flattish spot. Several ticks all over it..
Man Was I happy to have the Full bug net That day. 90% of time I have an inner or bug bivy with my tarps for that reason. id feel things crawling on me all night and get no sleep in some places.

saltysack
11-30-2016, 09:19
Bug bivy is still handy. 6.5 oz silnylon floored one doubles as ground cloth With bathtub floor and protects from creepy crawlies if have to pitch in iffy areas .

I had To pitch hexamid In 12" weeds near A trail once, only flattish spot. Several ticks all over it..
Man Was I happy to have the Full bug net That day. 90% of time I have an inner or bug bivy with my tarps for that reason. id feel things crawling on me all night and get no sleep in some places.

You use the tarp with optional inner or use a bivy?

MuddyWaters
11-30-2016, 09:25
You use the tarp with optional inner or use a bivy?

Yes.

I have both and use with 7.7 oz cuben deschutes depending. Or neither. Bivy is about 5 oz lighter.

The inner is more comfortable, and 8" sidewalls totally eliminate splash from rain under deschutes even in strong storms theres significant overhang too that helps, rear side is very deep

Its more pain to set up though.

I like the room inside hexamid and one piece simplicity for setup.(if leave floor in)