PDA

View Full Version : Wool BUFF?

Alex Blain-Laider
11-23-2016, 19:14
Anyone use these, or have thoughts on their knock-offs?

egilbe
11-23-2016, 19:26
I use one. I like it.

scrabbler
11-23-2016, 19:34
Knock offs are generally smaller IMO, which might be worse for wool which seems to shrink more. But in general, buffs rock.

Dogwood
11-23-2016, 22:29
Which wool buff?

la.lindsey
11-23-2016, 22:37

Use one (an original, I think, not a knock off) and love it. I only use it in winter, mostly for my ears or to cover my mouth and nose. A+, would recommend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rocketsocks
11-23-2016, 22:45
Anyone use these, or have thoughts on their knock-offs?just the thought of a wool buff around my neck, well let's just say I'd rather be chocked out by Rowdy Roddy Piper.

ScareBear
11-23-2016, 23:50
Poor Rowdy Roddy won't be doing any choking...

That said, there are cheap fleece multi-function balaclavas that I prefer to a buff.

nsherry61
11-24-2016, 00:15
Yes. My most consistently used piece of winter gear!

I would avoid a knock-off on this for two reasons. 1) Good wool is great. Moderate to cheap wool totally sucks next to skin!, if going cheap, use fleece instead of wool and realized that you are loosing some flexibility by going that route. 2) As noted above, size and shape (along with material) are important on this particular piece and the Buff brand has that pretty well nailed.

shelb
11-24-2016, 00:26
Yes. My most consistently used piece of winter gear!

I would avoid a knock-off on this for two reasons. 1) Good wool is great. Moderate to cheap wool totally sucks next to skin!, if going cheap, use fleece instead of wool and realized that you are loosing some flexibility by going that route. 2) As noted above, size and shape (along with material) are important on this particular piece and the Buff brand has that pretty well nailed.

This...all..makes...sense.However,who.do.you.recom mend.for.the.wool?

nsherry61
11-24-2016, 00:56
. . .who.do.you.recommend.for.the.wool?
I use the Buff brand for size and wool quality. I haven't tried any others . . . I take that back, I have a knockoff synthetic buff that is fine material, but to short to do a lot of what I do with my Buff buff. I've also used some nice fleece buffs that worked pretty well, but I haven't used them since I got my wool Buff.

As.for.your.little.periods . . . I assume you are having the same problem I do with the editor when replying with a quote. I found that if I copy and paste a "space" into my typing, the editor allows spaces again just fine. Hopeful the problem will get fixed soon. I might help if I complained about it. ;-)

rocketsocks
11-24-2016, 06:39
Poor Rowdy Roddy won't be doing any choking...

That said, there are cheap fleece multi-function balaclavas that I prefer to a buff.yup, I don't leave home without it.

T.S.Kobzol
11-24-2016, 08:01
I use mine all the time. If it's very cold then I have a regular hat and I use the buff on my neck...I raise it to my chin, sometimes over my mouth and nose if I'm in high wind situations where I try to avoid exposed skin.

Many times when I hike I get too hot for a regular hat. I take the hat off and instead I slide the Buff from my neck to my head and wear it as a hat. It's much thinner and allows heat to escape while at the same time provides ample protection with just enough warmth for the uphill hike.

egilbe
11-24-2016, 08:56
Icebreaker wool buff is pretty cheap at Sierra Trading post. I have one in Vino color, which is burgandy.

bigcranky
11-24-2016, 12:13
Icebreaker wool buff is pretty cheap at Sierra Trading post. I have one in Vino color, which is burgandy.

Showed this to my wife, and it's in her favorite color ("alpine" - basically a teal color). Ordering it now. Thanks for the tip. :)

tflaris
11-24-2016, 13:44
I used one on the JMT Thru hike and it was my most used piece of gear. Some days I used it for 24 hours continuously.

TF

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Alex Blain-Laider
11-26-2016, 18:35
Thank you all. I ended up purchasing a cheap microfiber knock-off to play with the versatility. Verdict is, I'm sold and will definitely get a wool version, this time of the BUFF flavor for quality.

Alex Blain-Laider
01-08-2017, 15:48
Yup, did just that and I must say both are keepers!

ogrd.net