PDA

View Full Version : Roller Coaster

partly cloudy
01-16-2006, 13:26
OK now I've read alot about the famous roller coaster in No.Va. Last week I did it. I can understand all the hype. If your a thru-hiker, by the time you get there, your legs are like iron. BUT, a little ol' section hiker would consider this to be grueling. The "pimples" are many and straight up and down. The views are great and the trail is just fine. But, you go over every crest of the hill, not along the side. Yes, I had some difficulty but still made it. And if this 54 year old out-a-shape ex-hippie can do it, anyone can. What made it even more challeging was the weather. First day, fine in the 60's, second day, temps dropped to about low 30's and wind at 20 / 30 mph and WET snow. At times, couldn't even see the blazes. Stayed at Bear's Den and Blackburn. Excelelnt hostels. As was written before, the Whites are tough but then so is this section.
2 sections down, 10,000 to go:clap

MOWGLI
01-16-2006, 13:32
Yeah, it's not that big a deal compared to other sections, but it can be hotter than hell when thru-hikers hit the area. It was absolutely brutal when I went through there. Temps in the high 90s with wicked humidity. I was doing a 20-mile day in order to meet my wife at Snickers Gap, so that day was particularly tough for me - both physically & mentally.