PDA

View Full Version : Trail Magic or Gifts From The Trail

Miles 2 Go
11-25-2016, 19:33
I would like to hear about the time the trail unexpectedly gave you trail magic when you needed it.

For myself it was when I was hiking the North Country Trail in Moraine State Park in PA early this spring. I had started the trail, maybe six to eight miles in when I realized I forgot to bring a dipper cup to fill my Evernew water bags that I use with my Saywer filter. Well I figured its was going to be a bear to fill up the water bag but what else could I do. I get to the shelter site and stop in for some lunch, there are three shelter at this location. The shelter I pick to eat at has not one but two unopened 16oz Aquafina water bottles sitting there. I take one and cut the top off to make a dipper cup. I think to myself what are the chances of that happening and I am thankful for the trail magic. I has left an impression on me, one I won't forget.

garlic08
11-25-2016, 21:03
I was hiking past an old tungsten mine in WA state on the PNT when a plastic buckle broke on my pack. The timing was perfect. I picked up a piece of heavy gauge steel wire, found an old stove to use as an anvil, another hunk of iron to use as a hammer, and within a few minutes had a replacement buckle that ended up lasting longer than the original.

The trail always provides.

Another time I was bemoaning forgetting my spoon, when I noticed millions of chopsticks in the woods all around me.