PDA

View Full Version : A planted seed

skinnbones
11-27-2016, 10:29
37192 This was the article that planted my seed about hiking the Appalachian Trail one day. National Geographic February issue 1987 ran an article entitled; Appalachian Trail, a tunnel through time. I was 23 years old at the time and twenty nine years later, the seed is ready to sprout. Only about 18 more weeks until the NOBO Thru attempt begins. I plan to purchase this copy off of Amazon and frame it's pages. It's always nice to remember the source of an inspiration. Wishing the best for all former thru hikers and those of us who will attempt this feat with the coming spring.

rafe
11-27-2016, 10:48
I think most humans know in their hearts what's good and what's not. What's permanent and enduring, and what's junk. I think that's why so many are drawn to the AT, first as hikers, and later as volunteers. It's not just a trail but a community. Best of luck on your journey.

skinnbones
11-27-2016, 10:58
Thanks Rafe.

MamaBear
11-27-2016, 14:01
That was the same article that did it for me. I was 16 at the time. Took me until 2015 to actually do the thru-hike. I even bought a copy of that issue on eBay, it is sitting on my shelf right now.

Enjoy your hike!

Tipi Walter
11-27-2016, 14:19
37192 This was the article that planted my seed about hiking the Appalachian Trail one day. National Geographic February issue 1987 ran an article entitled; Appalachian Trail, a tunnel through time. I was 23 years old at the time and twenty nine years later, the seed is ready to sprout. Only about 18 more weeks until the NOBO Thru attempt begins. I plan to purchase this copy off of Amazon and frame it's pages. It's always nice to remember the source of an inspiration. Wishing the best for all former thru hikers and those of us who will attempt this feat with the coming spring.

Keep planning and have fun on the AT or whatever trail you decide to hike. I had the Nature-Bug bite hard at a young age---1955 along a Colorado creek (below pic) and especially 1959 in Lawrence KS when I "became a nature boy" and really discovered nature for the first time. Cupping a series of wild toads in my hands will do this to a boy. Luckily this was way before fartphones and iNads and GPS devices and gameboys and in-home electrical house-arrest and thermostat drooling. So I got out alot. Mom and Dad could care less. We lived outdoors. I guess the seed was planted way back. Funny thing is, no matter how much I get out now it's never enough. Too much of nature, too little of me.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_W9skDg_Zuv80lU5H1A6ZScrCauYWH53PpKrg2GND-9vk88eFji8IdwWV0itYx-eKpDWb14Xbh4=w2400-h1350-no

Dogwood
11-27-2016, 15:20
Here Here. Reading that article while in a hospital bed put me over the top too. I'd take it, read it, and look at the pics and the faces and kept adding to the dream, keeping it alive taking little steps towards the dream every month or so until it became a physical reality two decades later. I saved that NG issue for awhile before it got lost in a move.

Very nice sentiments Skinnbones, Rafe, MamaBear, and Tipi.

Old Hiker
11-27-2016, 21:07
That article started the interest in the AT in particular and Southern Living - Aug 1987 - had a similar one.