PDA

View Full Version : Album made while hiking on the Appalachian Trail.....

transient
11-28-2016, 00:40
Hey all! Sorry if this is perceived as a bit too self promotional, but I legitimately felt like this would potentially be appreciated by my fellow hikers.

A bit of introduction. Trail name is transient. I've section hiked Georgia to the Maine border in several trips. Just a quick breakdown. 97 (GA->PA) 99 (PA->VA) 02 (VA->Maine Border) 02 Winter (Harpers Ferry, VA->Pearisburg, VA)

I actually made a record on the 2002 hikes as well entitled 'white blazes'. So this October-Early November saw a chance to return to the trail and subsequently I decided it was time to make a follow up to the earlier record which became 'return to the white blazes'.

I'll post up the blurb I wrote up which will cover most of the details of the trip.

'15 years ago I released 'white blazes', an album made while hiking on the Appalachian Trail. A place that feels like my true home. Always residing in the depths of my mind, calling me back to the solitude and beauty that only nature can provide. So life recently provided me a little window of a bit over a month to return to this magical trail. Naturally, I thought it was a perfect time to compose a follow up to the original ‘white blazes’ and so you have here before you ‘return to the white blazes’. An album composed in the forests on the AT in Virginia, North Carolina, & Tennessee in the months of October and November of 2016. Back in the early 2000’s when I conceived the first release, I carried a heavy (15+ pound) laptop. The battery would barely hold a charge, and in the colder months of a winter hike would barely work at all. Oh, how times have changed in this short moment between then and now. This trip, I was able to carry 2 cell phones, a tablet, a plethora of power banks, etc. all weighing well under the weight and thoroughly out performing in terms of specs the original laptop. The trip provided much adventure and time for deep thought. I was surrounded with beautiful vistas awash in the splendor of autumn, clean crisp air in the star filled nights. I shared my campsite with packs of coyotes, got interrupted during dinner by a hungry bear, read lots of books, experienced the intensity of forest fires, and generally got rid of years worth of clutter in my head in a way only the trail can provide. It is my hope, that in some way, I may have captured just a bit of that magic in what I present to you here. That in these tones and rhythms you can experience a bit of that solitude and beauty for yourself, and if I failed, I only hope I can encourage you to go out and experience the wonders of nature for yourself. Much Love! -transient'
Here is the link to check out the release if anyone is interested.
Release Page (https://noisyvagabond.wordpress.com/2016/11/27/transient-return-to-the-white-blazes-nvr047/)
It also includes some pics from the trip. Also, just to note the album is completely free to download.

Enjoy & happy trails!
-transient

illabelle
11-28-2016, 06:46
Some really nice photos. Wish I didn't have other things I have to do. Makes me want to get out there and walk.

rocketsocks
11-28-2016, 11:51
It can also be found here for thems that won't click on a "first post" hyperlink.

http://freemusicarchive.org/music/Transient/return_to_the_white_blazes/

rocketsocks
11-28-2016, 11:56
Sounds good Transient...Is this all synthesized by you? machine? Program?

rocketsocks
11-28-2016, 11:57
I like vodka

transient
11-28-2016, 12:17
Some really nice photos. Wish I didn't have other things I have to do. Makes me want to get out there and walk.

Thanks, glad you enjoyed them. And yes, I miss being out there already :P

transient
11-28-2016, 12:24
I like vodka

yes, i like it too.... oh wait, your talking about the song... thanks :P hehe

Sounds good Transient...Is this all synthesized by you? machine? Program?

Thanks. Yeah, there is some pretty solid stuff these days for mobile devices. I used a program called Caustic 3 (http://www.singlecellsoftware.com) for the majority of the record (first 8 tracks) Really nice program with a bunch of synths and great workflow. The last 3 tracks were done in Sunvox (http://www.warmplace.ru) a modular style tracker program that is infinitely deep but a little more on the side of complicated. If you scroll to the bottom of the pictures on the page the last image shows the equipment and programs I used. I also tried to sample a lot of sounds directly from the trail (water, insects, wind, etc.) thanks for listening :)

chknfngrs
11-28-2016, 14:00
What about putting the first one up too?

transient
11-28-2016, 14:44
What about putting the first one up too?

Sure :) Here it is. (https://noisyvagabond.wordpress.com/2011/11/05/transient-white-blazes-nvr009-mp3/)

Also I noticed I made a mistake in my original posting about my sections of hiking, it should have read.
97 (GA->PA) 99 (PA->VT) 02 (VT->Maine Border) 02 Winter (Harpers Ferry, VA->Pearisburg, VA)

chknfngrs
11-28-2016, 15:57
Cool!! Will be listening while hiking next time to really feel it. Gonna download it later today or tomorrow

Kaptainkriz
11-28-2016, 19:30
Very nice, thanks for sharing with us! The last 3 tracks sound outstanding through LCD-2 headphones. :)

rocketsocks
11-28-2016, 19:35
yes, i like it too.... oh wait, your talking about the song... thanks :P hehe

Thanks. Yeah, there is some pretty solid stuff these days for mobile devices. I used a program called Caustic 3 (http://www.singlecellsoftware.com) for the majority of the record (first 8 tracks) Really nice program with a bunch of synths and great workflow. The last 3 tracks were done in Sunvox (http://www.warmplace.ru) a modular style tracker program that is infinitely deep but a little more on the side of complicated. If you scroll to the bottom of the pictures on the page the last image shows the equipment and programs I used. I also tried to sample a lot of sounds directly from the trail (water, insects, wind, etc.) thanks for listening :)Cool, I'll check those out.

transient
11-28-2016, 22:30
Cool!! Will be listening while hiking next time to really feel it. Gonna download it later today or tomorrow

awesome! hope you enjoy it! :)

Very nice, thanks for sharing with us! The last 3 tracks sound outstanding through LCD-2 headphones. :)

Thanks! Those look like some really nice cans! I'm glad it sounded alright through them considering I mixed and mastered the album in a $6 pair of earbuds :P haha

Cool, I'll check those out.

Definitely highly recommend them. They both work in a variety of OS's as well. Caustic will run in Android/iOS and has a free to use windows version as well. Sunvox runs on pretty much everything under the sun Android/iOS/Palm OS/Linux/Windows/Raspberry Pi/etc.etc.etc. I think it even runs on my toaster, but I haven't checked yet. Android and iOS versions cost a few bucks but the rest are free to use.

YoungBloodOnTrail
11-29-2016, 08:28
Good stuff man. Nice work I'll be adding to my library

The Kisco Kid
11-29-2016, 11:29
Thanks so much for sharing. Downloaded it last night. I thought it would be more on the acoustic/folky side, so I was surprised to hear an electronic album.

Nice

Skyline
11-29-2016, 12:18
Excellent music and photos! There is enough here that most people will find something to their liking. A diversity of styles, and personally I like electronic genres.

Q: I was able to download these for free. Is that your intent? No issue paying if you tell me how...

transient
11-29-2016, 13:35
Good stuff man. Nice work I'll be adding to my library

Thanks so much for sharing. Downloaded it last night. I thought it would be more on the acoustic/folky side, so I was surprised to hear an electronic album.

Nice

Thanks & thanks! Really glad you enjoyed it! :)

Excellent music and photos! There is enough here that most people will find something to their liking. A diversity of styles, and personally I like electronic genres.

Q: I was able to download these for free. Is that your intent? No issue paying if you tell me how...

Thanks! And, absolutely, my entire catalog is free to download. :) I make music because I enjoy doing so and if others can enjoy it along with me it's a win-win situation in my book. :)

chknfngrs
11-30-2016, 15:54
Nicely done

transient
12-02-2016, 14:17
Nicely done

Thanks!! :)