PDA

View Full Version : Rain coming!! At least I hope...

Tundracamper
11-28-2016, 15:45
Sure hoping the storms coming thru the next few days put out the fires and resupply some of the water sources. I'm planning a hike in late December and would like not having to worry about water or fires. Of course, hiking thru ashes might be another concern.

illabelle
11-28-2016, 16:01
The wet forecast has everybody around here smiling! :)
We have a little pond on our place, normally 30 feet across, 2-3 feet of water on top of about 1 foot of mud. Currently it's about 12 feet across and not much deeper than 6 or 8 inches. A small population of tadpoles and frogs is struggling to survive, and praying for a deluge.

Gambit McCrae
11-28-2016, 16:32
What is peoples opinions on the weather forecast for Newfound Gap to Davenport this weekend? It looks up in the air to me, but will prolly go either way.

daddytwosticks
11-28-2016, 16:59
I bet the rain will help with the wildfires. However, strong winds will blow before the rain which can be problematic. Very doubtful it will have any affect on water availability. :)

dudeijuststarted
11-28-2016, 17:07
i have a week blocked out in early December which was originally for a FHT thru hike, but the closings and drought reports screwed that up. travel to the region is still a "go," so maybe things will improve for me after all?

NC Hiker/Angler
11-28-2016, 18:54
Dudeijuststarted

I hiked a few sections of the Foothills Trail over the holiday. There was water in the small streams although low. This is a great time for the FHT. I encountered one thru hiker on Thanksgiving that went from Sassafras to Oconee State Park who said water was not an issue and that it was a great trip. He actually got rained on Wednesday evening in the Chattooga River section. You might reconsider.

Tundracamper
11-28-2016, 20:51
Just started a deluge at my place. First good rain in like 2 months!! If it rains like this in NC, I would think all the fires should be extinguished.

FrogLevel
11-28-2016, 21:22
http://www.gatlinburgspaceneedle.com/webcam/

As of 8:20 PM you can see active fire right near downtown Gatlinburg. That's pretty crazy. This rain is only a few hours away so hopefully itll all be over this time tomorrow.

rocketsocks
11-29-2016, 00:28
http://www.gatlinburgspaceneedle.com/webcam/

As of 8:20 PM you can see active fire right near downtown Gatlinburg. That's pretty crazy. This rain is only a few hours away so hopefully itll all be over this time tomorrow.i can't get it to load...Rut Roh...dat ain't good!

hikernutcasey
11-29-2016, 11:20
What is peoples opinions on the weather forecast for Newfound Gap to Davenport this weekend? It looks up in the air to me, but will prolly go either way.Be aware, due to the fires in and around Gatlinburg and in the park itself, the National Park Service has closed the entire park until further notice.

rocketsocks
11-29-2016, 13:53
So the smokies got some rain last night...was it enough to extinguish the fires?

hikernutcasey
11-29-2016, 14:39
So the smokies got some rain last night...was it enough to extinguish the fires?Reading some updates at lunch and they are still battling the fires in the general area but more rain is expected tonight into tomorrow. Fingers crossed it rains a bunch.

rocketsocks
11-29-2016, 18:11
Reading some updates at lunch and they are still battling the fires in the general area but more rain is expected tonight into tomorrow. Fingers crossed it rains a bunch.thank you, hope you get some more tonight and the winds are kind.

2NewKnees
11-29-2016, 21:55
A friend of mine said it was raining a little last night. Tomorrow is 80% chance and Thursday is 100%. Like the weather men/women are ever right, but I'm praying it rains for several days!

Engine
11-30-2016, 07:05
Good news this morning... https://www.wunderground.com/us/tn/gatlinburg/zmw:37738.1.99999

Tundracamper
11-30-2016, 09:53
The rain in central Alabama this morning has been one of the hardest in the last several years - at least that I can remember. All of the streets have standing water and the ditches are full. If this makes its way up to TN, I don't see how it could not put the fires out.

illabelle
11-30-2016, 10:09
My little frog pond is 6 inches deeper this morning than it was before the rains came. :) :) :)

Newb
11-30-2016, 10:21
well, if any shelters burned down at least that would be a positive.

FrogLevel
11-30-2016, 12:30
Its pouring buckets here in east TN and has been all night.

Engine
11-30-2016, 12:50

That caused a mental image of thousands of flaming mice spreading fire through the forest.

cneill13
11-30-2016, 14:01
The storm system is hitting the North Georgia mountains right now. Never seen it so dry.

Carl

freys
11-30-2016, 14:39
Quite the relationship AT hikers have with the rain. We curse, prey, cry, beg, you use every word imaginable at it.

Rain Man
12-01-2016, 18:37

If I were a hard-working volunteer who hauled the lumber, helped build the shelter, cleaned the privy, and maintained the trail , ... I might feel differently than you.

rocketsocks
12-01-2016, 18:58
Quite the relationship AT hikers have with the rain. We curse, prey, cry, beg, you use every word imaginable at it.

"These things are good: ice cream and cake, a ride on a Harley, seeing monkeys in the trees, the rain on my tongue, and the sun shining on my face. These things are a drag: dust in my hair, holes in my shoes, no money in my pocket, and the sun shining on my face" ~Rocky Dennis "Mask"

Deer Hunter
12-02-2016, 14:55
The rain really helped the Mt. Pleasant fire here. I hunted close to it and the smoke was bad when the winds blew from the northwest.

http://www.wdbj7.com/content/news/Firefighters-draw-down-numbers-as-rain-soaks-Amherst-County-brush-fire-403652216.html

rmitchell
12-03-2016, 12:14
If I were a hard-working volunteer who hauled the lumber, helped build the shelter, cleaned the privy, and maintained the trail , ... I might feel differently than you.

Thanks Rain man.