PDA

View Full Version : AT Google Map with Fire Perimeters

postholer.com
11-29-2016, 00:44
Here is an interactive AT map with the latest fire perimeters that show where exactly the AT crosses through the burn areas. The perimeters update as they become available:

http://www.postholer.com/gmap/gmap.php?trail_id=3&dmode=10&lat=35.159353&lon=-83.653086&zoom=9&dist=0&vw=0

-postholer

la.lindsey
11-29-2016, 01:20
This is helpful. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rocketsocks
11-29-2016, 14:07
Here is an interactive AT map with the latest fire perimeters that show where exactly the AT crosses through the burn areas. The perimeters update as they become available:

http://www.postholer.com/gmap/gmap.php?trail_id=3&dmode=10&lat=35.159353&lon=-83.653086&zoom=9&dist=0&vw=0

-postholer
Bump, thanks postholer

Don H
11-30-2016, 10:12
Here's a downloadable map of Gatlinburg showing the businesses that have been destroyed. Doesn't look like any of the businesses that hikers generally use such as the NOC-Gatlinburg and the Grand Prix Hotel were effected.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1j7dJNKio1QPbslWy4PDNMsQkUes&ll=35.70929770731011%2C-83.52331578911594&z=18

tiptoe
11-30-2016, 10:58
Arrowmont is a renowned craft school, a little oasis in the "touristy" section of town.

Siestita
12-01-2016, 04:35
The map linked in the original does not have a legend indicating how the fires are shown. I infer though that each of the orange areas areas on that map has been a "fire perimeter".

The link to that map was posted three days ago. It's interesting than no fire perimeters are shown anywhere in GSMNP, nor in the vicinity of Gatlinburg. It's possible that not all fire areas are displayed on the map, or that updates are not made frequently or automatically.

postholer.com
12-01-2016, 12:35
The map linked in the original does not have a legend indicating how the fires are shown. I infer though that each of the orange areas areas on that map has been a "fire perimeter".

The link to that map was posted three days ago. It's interesting than no fire perimeters are shown anywhere in GSMNP, nor in the vicinity of Gatlinburg. It's possible that not all fire areas are displayed on the map, or that updates are not made frequently or automatically.

Yes, as stated, it shows 'perimeters' or 'footprint' if you prefer. The source of the information is INCIWEB, the largest single point contact of wildfires. Whether the NPS chooses to use that resource is another story. :)

One or more of the perimeters have updated at least 3 times since the original post.

-postholer

rocketsocks
12-01-2016, 12:44

The link to that map was posted three days ago. It's interesting than no fire perimeters are shown anywhere in GSMNP, nor in the vicinity of Gatlinburg. It's possible that not all fire areas are displayed on the map, or that updates are not made frequently or automatically.yup, I just figured they were busy out fightin' fires and didn't have time to update.

TSWisla
12-01-2016, 17:04
This is terrible. Does anyone know how it will affect hiking next year? Will parts of the trail be closed? What about the NP. Terrible.

gbolt
12-01-2016, 19:59
This is terrible. Does anyone know how it will affect hiking next year? Will parts of the trail be closed? What about the NP. Terrible.

The AT Runs East of and at a higher elevation than the Chimney 2 Fire that was blown across the Gatlinburg area. However, there were other Fires west and south of the Smokiess that could have an impact. Northern Georgia, NC and other parts of the park were impacted by previous dry spells and fires. However, Spring is awhile away and hopefully Snowfall and Rain will recharge the water supply.

TSWisla
12-02-2016, 08:11
That is what I hope will happen. I quit my section hike at the NOC this year and really want to get back on the trail. I was listening to the radio over here in IL and the fire chief of Gatlinburg said that they best thing people can do is come visit Gatlinburg and spend some money there. That is exactly my plan!

Furlough
12-02-2016, 12:09
Not sure of the future impact for the coming year, but current status from the ATC is :

Great Smoky Mountains National Park officials have closed the 71.2 miles of the A.T. within the Park.
Fires crossed 31 miles of the A.T. in a stretch from the northern edge of GA into southern NC.
The A.T. is closed from Dicks Creek Gap/U.S. 76 in GA (mile 69.9) to the Nantahala River/U.S. 19/U.S. 74 in NC (mile 137.1).
The A.T. is closed from U.S. 60 (mile 806.1) to Saltlog Gap, VA (mile 814.6).

Furlough

postholer.com
12-02-2016, 14:03
Using the latest updates from the map (Gaitlinburg and GSMNP perimeters also updated) here's the breakdown on trail miles actually affected:

Rock Mountain Fire, 15.1 miles affected, sections of 1.3 and 13.8 miles
Camp Branch Fire 3.6 miles affected, sections of 1.3, 2.0 and 0.3 miles
Tellico Fire 6.6 miles affected

So, that's a total of 25.3 miles of the AT actually affected.

The Chimney Tops 2 Fire (GSMNP) was within 2 miles of the trail, but the trail was not affected directly.

-postholer

(http://www.postholer.com/gmap/gmap.php?trail_id=3&dmode=10&lat=35.159353&lon=-83.653086&zoom=9&dist=0&vw=0)

illabelle
12-02-2016, 14:55
I found a report (link below) that indicates the Chimney Tops 2 fire is at zero% containment. But link embedded in that page indicates that the fire is not spreading after receiving rainfall. For the firefighters out there, what exactly is "containment"? I thought it meant no further spreading. Also, I pasted a little piece from the second link which indicates that they do expect further spread over the next 2-3 days. I'm not sure if these reports are in conflict, or if I just don't know how to interpret them.

http://burnsafetn.org/pdfs/FireSituationUpdate.pdf
http://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/5112/

Projected Incident Activity
12 hours: Fire will continue to smolder overnight with minimal spread due to higher fuel moisture.
24 hours: Fire activity will increase today due to sunny clear skies. Fire spreading in the timber litter should be expected with 1 to 2 foot flame lengths with rates of spreads of 1 to 3 chains per hour.
48 hours: With increasing clouds and higher relative humidity fire spread should be minimal during this period. The heavy fuels will continue to burn and ignite leaf litter.
72 hours: Rainfall is forecasted to return to the fire area during this period, fire spread will be minimal.

Another Kevin
12-02-2016, 15:21
I found a report (link below) that indicates the Chimney Tops 2 fire is at zero% containment. But link embedded in that page indicates that the fire is not spreading after receiving rainfall. For the firefighters out there, what exactly is "containment"? I thought it meant no further spreading. Also, I pasted a little piece from the second link which indicates that they do expect further spread over the next 2-3 days. I'm not sure if these reports are in conflict, or if I just don't know how to interpret them.

'Contained' usually means, 'unlikely to spread even if the wind shifts, or expected rain fails to materialize.' It usually means that there is a solid perimeter around that part of the fire - either by artificially cutting or backfiring, or from a natural barrier like a river or bald ridge. It's entirely possible for an 'uncontained' fire to burn itself out, but it's also possible for fire to smoulder in the duff even under a snowpack and break out again, so in an area with a known burn, they generally keep fighting for 100% containment.