PDA

View Full Version : Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge being evacuated

Lyle
11-29-2016, 01:47
Apparently Gatlinburg's downtown has a mandatory evacuation order in effect.

"Employees from the Elkmont and Park Headquarters area were evacuated. Officials closed the Gatlinburg Bypass and Little River Road from Sugarlands Visitor Center to Metcalf Bottoms Picnic Area."

""The mountain headed up to LeConte is a blaze," Allyson Virden said. "We drove to the top of our hill and we were blown away with the fire that is spreading up Mt. LeConte. My heart is breaking ... Chris and I are about to pack up and head out. It breaks my heart to think of all the people in harm's way and the historic buildings that are in danger. Please pray for our community and beloved Smokies."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2016/11/28/tennessee-wildfires-evacuation-gatlinburg/94580940/

Praha4
11-29-2016, 02:00
wow that is incredible and tragic

wife and I were just up there on a short vacation trip a month ago, hard to believe those pictures, can't imagine the traffic jams

prayers are needed for the Smokies community

left52side
11-29-2016, 02:09
Family members are in pigeon forge posting updates on my social media for me now.
It is tragic and horrible,hoping that the rain is on the way,the line of storms Ii seen looked like pretty good storms headed that way.

Engine
11-29-2016, 07:43
I have spent so many amazing trips in the Smokies...this is indeed sad news. Praying for steady rain for a couple days.

illabelle
11-29-2016, 07:57
It's hard to get clear information from TV and FB, just snippets and fragments. From the weather forecast, what they're saying is the rain last night was helpful, but too little too late for many structures. Rain is moving out of the area, and winds should be light through the day. Maybe they can get ahead of some of the blazes. This afternoon and evening the winds will pick up again ahead of another much-needed rain system. But again, if the wind comes before the rain, it pushes the flames into new territory.

FB post from a Pigeon Forge resident:

I can't sleep not knowing if I have a home in the morning. So please continue prayers for our area as I have asked many times. I have friends also evacuated and may have to evacuate again and some may not have a home by morning. Some of these fires are still out of control especially in Gatlinburg area 8 miles from us. Many businesses, hotels, jobs for folks are gone just like that. This fire spread so quickly last night with 50-65 mph winds and no rain until late that there was no time to respond to so many of these fires in time and for the news to report them quick enough. We are in a devastation in this area and need all the prayers and more rain that we can get right now. So far no deaths reported. We thank God for that!

https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/15219585_1559877774026277_4571098051463593828_n.jp g?oh=adf0262da5dfeebeb9666677d6d76d76&oe=58B61EC5https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/15220112_10154758105174469_7377660581888990247_n.j pg?oh=f7f292a7cc1b49368a90bb1571a841ef&oe=58FAA404

WVLT video:
https://www.facebook.com/newschynna/videos/1640066329623948/

Nodust
11-29-2016, 08:17
It was smoky last week when we were there.

So dry in the mountains. One ember would start a fire easily.

Hope everyone gets to safety.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JC13
11-29-2016, 09:49
Any word on how the fires started?

dudeijuststarted
11-29-2016, 09:52
this is insane

Engine
11-29-2016, 10:21
Any word on how the fires started?

Some are natural, some are arson, and some are the result campers with very poor judgment.

JC13
11-29-2016, 10:34
Sad to hear that arson and negligence are involved.

Venchka
11-29-2016, 10:41
According to the Weather Channel radar loop it rained extensively along the TN-NC border since midnight. True or false? Fox News is showing active fires from overnight.
What is happening now? 9:40 am EST?
Wayne

boshettee
11-29-2016, 10:47
Gatlinburg :

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/29/us/gatlinburg-tennessee-wildfire.html?smid=fb-share

JLorenzo77
11-29-2016, 10:49
Terribly tragic what is going on down there. It has been incredibly dry up and down the Eastern seaboard. I was on the AT in northern VA this past weekend and basically I was walking on dust the whole time. My thoughts are with the folks down there. We are getting much needed rain in Maryland and I hope for the same for the folks down there.

boshettee
11-29-2016, 10:51
Smokies:

https://twitter.com/GreatSmokyNPS/status/803591907456720896

AfterParty
11-29-2016, 10:53
On hammock forom a person said .5" it is sad for sure my parents were just there a few weeks ago.

FreeGoldRush
11-29-2016, 10:54
Hotel employee in Pigeon Forge told us moments ago that Gatlinburg is gone. It all burned down. She was crying. I find it so hard to believe. I have been going to the smokies for decades. I suspect she is wrong. We will see.

FreeGoldRush
11-29-2016, 10:58
Ober Gatlinburg is gone. All burned down. I feel like I should be attending a funeral. Hillbilly Golf is gone. I realize these places are easy to make fun of as Bill Bryson did (what an ass), but these places are classics that have been there forever.

Earlier reports of the elementary school burning are now being reversed. It apparently still stands. Who knows. No one is in there to see it right now.

JC13
11-29-2016, 11:05
Crazy, I had to notify my parents last night as they were heading up there this weekend.

hikernutcasey
11-29-2016, 11:08
Ober Gatlinburg is gone. All burned down. I feel like I should be attending a funeral. Hillbilly Golf is gone. I realize these places are easy to make fun of as Bill Bryson did (what an ass), but these places are classics that have been there forever.

Earlier reports of the elementary school burning are now being reversed. It apparently still stands. Who knows. No one is in there to see it right now.Ober Gatlinburg is NOT gone. They posted a video on this morning showing the property was fine.

FreeGoldRush
11-29-2016, 11:18
Ober Gatlinburg (up the mountain on the tram) owners confirmed at 9:10 am that it is still standing. Mystery Mansion owners in Gatlinburg confirmed it is gone, which means many other buildings must be too. So apparently the fire fighters can't quantify the current status it is so bad. They recently reported they cannot provide an update on where the fires are or what is burning. They won't guess anymore. Wow.

if you aren't familiar with Gatlinburg it is a town with few ways to access it or see it from outside Gatlinburg. This probably accounts for the lack of good information.

FreeGoldRush
11-29-2016, 11:20
Ober Gatlinburg is NOT gone. They posted a video on this morning showing the property was fine.

Yeah, there is disagreement between the firefighters and the owners. It's really crazy. Apparently it is there.

hikernutcasey
11-29-2016, 11:27
The NPS has closed the entire national park until further notice for anyone thinking about hiking there in the near future.

martinb
11-29-2016, 12:52
It's hard to understand the mindset of someone who would wiling start a fire that causes pain and loss.

Tundracamper
11-29-2016, 13:06
https://www.google.com/amp/wate.com/2016/11/29/ober-gatlinburg-still-standing-animals-safe/amp/?client=safari

hikernutcasey
11-29-2016, 13:28
It appears that the center of Gatlinburg is intact and the worst of the damage is on each end of the town. The area up towards the Roaring Fork Motor Rd has substantial damage and the area in between Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge was hit hard including the large Westgate resort and spa which is mostly gone.

For those of you that passed through Gatlinburg during your thru hike and might have played a round of putt-putt and Hillbilly Golf, sadly it is no more.

The aquarium and Ober Gatlinburg are still standing.

Water Rat
11-29-2016, 13:36
My thoughts are with those who are busting their butts to try and save lives and buildings. The trail will still be there...but many people have lost their homes, and some their livelihoods. Hoping this ends with no loss of life. :(

JumpMaster Blaster
11-29-2016, 16:07
This sucks. I feel bad for the people of Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge. The most visited national park in America is shut down and I haven't heard anything on the news about it. Geez.

I visited Gatlinburg this May when I hiked the Smokies and always said I was coming back. I'm going to keep that promise. Let's hope the rain coming tonight & tomorrow helps out.

JumpMaster Blaster
11-29-2016, 16:09
This sucks. I feel bad for the people of Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge. The most visited national park in America is shut down and I haven't heard anything on the news about it. Geez.

I visited Gatlinburg this May when I hiked the Smokies and always said I was coming back. I'm going to keep that promise. Let's hope the rain coming tonight & tomorrow helps out.

Ok, it was just on Fox news according to my brother.

illabelle
11-29-2016, 16:53
Update from Fox News:
As roaring flames and choking smoke driven by high winds continued to bear down on the Great Smoky Mountain region of Tennessee, emergency officials said that 14,000 people were evacuated from Gatlinburg alone and at least 250 buildings have been damaged or destroyed.
About 12 people were taken to hospitals, mostly with non-life-threatening injuries, said Gatlinburg Fire Chief Greg Miller.
The Tennessee Emergency Management Agency said in a news release that at least 10 of the homes that were impacted were in Gatlinburg, including a 16-story hotel and an apartment complex. According to Fox 17 Nashville (http://fox17.com/news/local/tema-issues-level-3-state-of-emergency-due-to-sevier-county-wildfires), 30 structures have been burned in Gatlinburg.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/11/29/wildfires-scorch-250-buildings-in-tennessee-tourist-area-as-thousands-flee.html

TNhiker
11-29-2016, 18:14
Some are natural, some are arson, and some are the result campers with very poor judgment.

And most are from cigarettes thrown out the car window...

Lyle
11-29-2016, 18:15
USA Today is now reporting that three people have been killed in the fires and several others are in critical condition. Over 150 Gatlinburg homes and businesses have been destroyed.

Traveler
11-29-2016, 18:16

That would be willful arson in and of itself.

TNhiker
11-29-2016, 18:16
It's hard to understand the mindset of someone who would wiling start a fire that causes pain and loss.

most don't think of that as they flick the cigarette out the window...

HooKooDooKu
11-29-2016, 18:41
most don't think of that as they flick the cigarette out the window...
I'm currently thinking this was started by a smoker that hiked the Chimney Tops Trail.
Based on Google Earth and Street View, that smoke is Chimney Tops burning (the overlook at the end of the Chimney Tops Trail) as seen from the pull-off located at the 90º turn just past the Chimney Picnic area.

I think this is what they were calling the Chimney 2 Fire, and I thought I hear media reports claim that wind whipped embers from this fire is what ignited the fires around Gatlinburg.

The location of the smoke in that image looks prime for a day hiker to have followed the Chimney Tops trail out to the over-look, light up a cigarette, and then just tossed it off the side of the mountain.

Engine
11-29-2016, 19:17

That's true...

Venchka
11-29-2016, 20:42
I read a press release from the National Park earlier today.
Paraphrasing...
80 mph winds. Falling trees. Power lines knocked down by falling trees setting fires in the area. Fires in the Gatlinburg area spread alarmingly fast.
No mention of cigarettes thrown from cars.
Wayne

Kaptainkriz
11-29-2016, 21:08
Insane view from within:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGyHu4iX5-Y

Dogwood
11-29-2016, 21:10

Not really, unless you ignore the last 4000 yrs of human history.

gpburdelljr
11-29-2016, 21:21

Can you cite a source for this?

Dogwood
11-29-2016, 21:27
In 2008 raging fires on the PCT that closed down several large segments were proven to be human caused.

One large fire in the Mt San Jacinto area was determined to be caused by a PCT hiker who left a lit cigarette burning on a stump.

Another large fire in the San Bernardino Mountains near LA that extends all the way to the PCT was later determined to originally be caused by campers. Then lightning strikes reignited or spread the fire.

Hiked for almost 1 full day(28 miles) on the CDT through Anaconda Pintler Wilderness almost entirely in burned areas that resembled pictures of Hiroshima largely caused by campfires although the area experiences fires from natural causes like lightning strikes as well.

Pokey2006
11-29-2016, 21:30
I'm on the outskirts of town. I am one of the luckier ones. My home is fine. I am safe. My workplace is still standing, though closed for who knows how long. I have friends and coworkers who lost their homes. Some folks are out of jobs. The people in this town are mostly service industry workers living paycheck to paycheck. This is devastating for the town and local residents. We also love the park and are mourning the loss of the forest and wildlife.
It's hard to tell exactly what the damage is downtown -- they are not letting anyone in. From what I hear, the main strip is intact, but many buildings along the edges of town were destroyed. Will give y'all an update when I know more. Provided I can...currently without power :(

rocketsocks
11-29-2016, 21:40
I'm on the outskirts of town. I am one of the luckier ones. My home is fine. I am safe. My workplace is still standing, though closed for who knows how long. I have friends and coworkers who lost their homes. Some folks are out of jobs. The people in this town are mostly service industry workers living paycheck to paycheck. This is devastating for the town and local residents. We also love the park and are mourning the loss of the forest and wildlife.
It's hard to tell exactly what the damage is downtown -- they are not letting anyone in. From what I hear, the main strip is intact, but many buildings along the edges of town were destroyed. Will give y'all an update when I know more. Provided I can...currently without power :(stay safe!

Pokey2006
11-29-2016, 21:42
Thanks! I will add that we were very lucky this didn't happen last week, when the town was full of tourists. Or on a weekend. The town was relatively quiet when this happened, making the evacuations possible. Thank God.

saltysack
11-29-2016, 21:55
Insane view from within:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGyHu4iX5-Y

Holy shi$.....

Slo-go'en
11-29-2016, 22:00
I wonder if the Grand Prix survived? Their near the woods on the edge of town.

2NewKnees
11-29-2016, 22:04
Praying for rain in Gatlinburg! My son and I went last spring for a field trip to the Aquarium. It was beautiful and a great place to visit. Heard the animals there were safe tonight. I hope that's true. My thoughts and prayers are with everybody up there going through this terrible event.

Venchka
11-29-2016, 22:08
Can you cite a source for this?
Nope.
Wayne

CamelMan
11-29-2016, 22:18
I have friends and coworkers who lost their homes. Some folks are out of jobs. The people in this town are mostly service industry workers living paycheck to paycheck. This is devastating for the town and local residents.

That's the worst part about it, however as the area rebuilds there should be more jobs. Myself and my staff are all fine, and I *think* our hotel is fine, too, based on a report I received from an employee, although we're between the Park Vista and Arrowmont School, both of which were hit. I guess the PV survived intact. More than 50% of our bookings for the Christmas Parade this weekend evaporated already, and I expect them all to, and this is the last chance to make money before the season dies.

Anyway, the best news I've seen is from WBIR: www.wbir.com (http://www.wbir.com). They're putting together a list of damage. 441 is closed so I don't think I'll get back into town before Friday.

gbolt
11-29-2016, 22:42
That's the worst part about it, however as the area rebuilds there should be more jobs. Myself and my staff are all fine, and I *think* our hotel is fine, too, based on a report I received from an employee, although we're between the Park Vista and Arrowmont School, both of which were hit. I guess the PV survived intact. More than 50% of our bookings for the Christmas Parade this weekend evaporated already, and I expect them all to, and this is the last chance to make money before the season dies.

Anyway, the best news I've seen is from WBIR: www.wbir.com (http://www.wbir.com). They're putting together a list of damage. 441 is closed so I don't think I'll get back into town before Friday.

Glad to hear your staff are all fine! It is crazy how it moved and caught some structures on fire; yet left others close by still standing. I couldn't believe that Cobbly Knob was impacted that Far East up 321. Prayers that you can regroup and recoup in the future. Hoping the County comes back stronger and better than ever. The Smokies have held my heart my entire life.

hikernutcasey
11-29-2016, 22:47
Camelman, my thoughts are with you. Hoping things turn out to be ok when you return. Best of luck to you.

I heard tonight that three people have sadly lost their lives due to this and it is so sad to think that someone intentionally started the fire. If caught they should be locked away for the rest of their lives. So senseless.

MuddyWaters
11-29-2016, 22:54
Camelman, my thoughts are with you. Hoping things turn out to be ok when you return. Best of luck to you.

I heard tonight that three people have sadly lost their lives due to this and it is so sad to think that someone intentionally started the fire. If caught they should be locked away for the rest of their lives. So senseless.

Locking people away is too kind
Burning at stake would be fitting

Pokey2006
11-29-2016, 22:57
I wonder if the Grand Prix survived? Their near the woods on the edge of town.

I know that hill going up from the strip to Ober was badly damaged. A friend who lives up there said she was told it was still burning. We just don't know yet. I will let you know if I hear anything about the Grand Prix.

Pokey2006
11-29-2016, 23:00
They canceled the parade. Likely won't have much business for a while. At this point I'm just hoping we can salvage Hell Week. So many rely on that week to pay the bills in Jan and Feb. Glad your staff is OK. My restaurant's staff is all safe, though a few are homeless.

CamelMan
11-29-2016, 23:02
Thanks. Yeah i hope Hell Week is still hell. ;)

Another good source for news and pics is on Facebook and is called "Tri-Cities Weather & Alert Crew".

illabelle
11-29-2016, 23:11
Holy shi$.....

nokidding!!!

Venchka
11-29-2016, 23:21

Don't you think it's a bit early to blame arson?
Perhaps you missed the statement from the National Park Service placing the blame for the fires on high winds, low humidity and trees falling on electrical transmission lines. Once started, the conditions greatly worsened and rapidly spread the fires. Naturally.
All the best to everyone affected by this tragedy. I've seen my share of disasters including hurricanes Ivan, Katrina, Rita and Ike. Be safe!
Wayne

Venchka
11-29-2016, 23:23
Apparently the Mt Le Conte lodge was spared by the fires. There may be some damage from falling trees.
Wayne

AfterParty
11-29-2016, 23:31
I was a first responder to the tornado that wiped out greensburg Kansas a while back. I talked to a few folks over the first few days and the insurance companies were pretty fast. I hope this is the case there. Also watch your friends this is a very traumatic event and it can do things to a person. I wish all the best. that video is very sad to see.

hikernutcasey
11-29-2016, 23:38
CNN is reporting fire was human caused.

Venchka
11-29-2016, 23:44
Given the weather conditions, I would like to think that this is the result of natural causes. Just my opinion.
Wayne

MuddyWaters
11-29-2016, 23:52
Given the weather conditions, I would like to think that this is the result of natural causes. Just my opinion.
Wayne

Weather didnt start fire
It just causd it to spread rapidly
Authorities have stated it was human caused.

Only natural cause is lightning, and aint been none of that.

gpburdelljr
11-30-2016, 00:26
Weather didnt start fire

A tree falling on a power line and starting a fire is half natural and half man made.

Hosh
11-30-2016, 00:39
CNN is reporting fire was human caused.

With their reputation that leaves a lot of options, maybe aliens did it.

We, Colorado, had a huge Hayman Fire that went ape sheet for several weeks. The hot shot crews were able to save lots of houses, but it must be so much more difficult in a dense woodland like the Smokies. It is beyond imagination the historical, family heirloom, structures that have/could be destroyed in this mess. The winds make things nearly impossible. I would think it has been mega years since a major burn, lots of combustible materials.

Let's pray people get out in time and the human suffering is minimized. Sounds like fire teams from the west are responding, hope it's not too late.

BlackCloud
11-30-2016, 01:31
Weather didnt start fire

In Hawaii fires have been started by lava...

Engine
11-30-2016, 06:45
In Hawaii fires have been started by lava...

Must have been lava from a Smoky mountain volcano previously thought to be extinct...or acute global warming.

In all seriousness, people died, hundreds of homes burned and many businesses. This whole thing sucks.

Newb
11-30-2016, 09:50
Am I the only one who thinks Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg are a pox on the planet?

Lyle
11-30-2016, 10:05
I've only been there twice - not my "cup of tea", so I don't go back. It is a reasonable re-supply for hikers, so in that regard it's a welcome diversion.

That said, we are talking about good people's homes and businesses being destroyed, lives lost, and several folks probably scarred for the rest of their lives. Not really the time or place to debate the relative good, evil, or value to society of the community.

No offense intended, just a comment.

illabelle
11-30-2016, 10:07
"If you don't have something nice to say, be witty in your cruelty."

Newb, you weren't witty. Just cruel.

Thinspace
11-30-2016, 10:13
My sister lives in Gatlinburg and had to evacuate her home. She sent me pictures she took while she was fleeing and they were terrifying! Her house is made of stone and survived. She told me the fire was intentionally started by a kid and suffice it to say it got way out of control!

madgoat
11-30-2016, 10:13
Newb,

Probably not. But your little jab at the Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge area shortly after 250+ structures burned to the ground, after the cities were evacuated, after at least 3 people lost their lives.... says a whole lot about you.

As for me, I love the Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge area. I take my family there all the time for vacations. We get several days of hiking in the mountains and enjoying creation, but at the end of the day we can head down into the tourist areas and eat good food, stay in a nice hotel or cabin, play some mini golf, do a little shopping. Dollywood has added several good coasters over the last few years and is now becoming one of the better amusement parks in the country. If you don't like Gatlinburg, you don't have to stay there or even drive through there to get to trailheads throughout the park.

But as for me, I enjoy a little tourist trap with my mountain vacation. My prayers are with the first responders, park workers, citizens, and visitors in the Gatlinburg region.

dwcoyote
11-30-2016, 10:30
Way to keep it classy. Not the time or place.

HooKooDooKu
11-30-2016, 10:45
"If you don't have something nice to say, be witty in your cruelty."

Newb, you weren't witty. Just cruel.
:clap
Piling on

{Edit}
I'll admit that the place has often been described as tacky... and I think that is something that has happened over time BECAUSE it's become a popular tourist destination.

I understand that there is a percentage of the population that doesn't like such a town, but to insult a town that has just experienced its worst fire in its history is tackier than the town could have ever been described as.

FreeGoldRush
11-30-2016, 11:03
Am I the only one who thinks Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg are a pox on the planet?

You and Bryson both apparently. There is a lot of history in Gatlinburg. It was never intended to mimic the rest of the world. It's a great place but you can't go there expecting it to be like some other resort town. People go there because of its unique personality and great people.

FrogLevel
11-30-2016, 12:28

It's popular to hate on the area. Sure, its tacky, but it is what it is and I love it. I grew up going there and its exactly what I want it to be. If you don't enjoy the tackiness just drive through and get to your "mountain cabin" or get into the park and you'll never know it was ever there.

rocketsocks
11-30-2016, 13:07
Last time I was in Gatlinburg was about 45 years ago with my family camping in the smokies...I loved it, loved the bears, the mountains and especially the smoke! neatest thing I ever saw at the time.

mandolindave
11-30-2016, 13:15
It's raining big time for a few days here in the North East. Hope they get a few more inches down south. During the downpour, and wind storm, I was startled by a mid day bright flash that lit up the inside of my house, then a power loss. The cops and lineman told me that THE FUSE to the transformer blew. Lineman said " Yeah, it's scary when they blow ". When the transformer blows, it can light up the sky for miles, for 5-10 minutes.

It might be too soon to start pointing fingers.

Mags
11-30-2016, 13:44

Not cool dude. Not the time or place for comments like the above.

MuddyWaters
11-30-2016, 13:56
Gatlinburg and pigeon forge only give americans what they like.

It might be a sad commentary on americans in general to some, but not their fault.

Current situation is horrific and the hard working residents deserve respect and compassion regardless.

I grew up in similar type thing. At the beach in FL. When americans vacation at beach, they want all the stupid $hit as well, because...just being at beach isnt enough. Goofy golf things, ripleys, amusement parks, wax museums, trinket shops, go carts, etc, etc, etc

Same people, EXACT same people in SE go to gatlinburg to vacation as well. These are things they can drive to in a day.

If you gonna hate on gatlinburg....hate on whole state of florida too.

HooKooDooKu
11-30-2016, 14:20
... The cops and lineman told me that THE FUSE to the transformer blew. Lineman said " Yeah, it's scary when they blow ". When the transformer blows, it can light up the sky for miles, for 5-10 minutes.

It might be too soon to start pointing fingers.
The source of spot fires around Gatlinburg is being reported as embers from the Chimney Tops 2 Fire blown around by wind gusts (>>50mph).

Because the Chimney Tops 2 Fire has been burning since November 23rd, the timing precludes lightning as the original source of the fire.

The location and extent of the Chimney Tops 2 Fire on November 27th put it at least 1/2 mile (as the crow flies) from the nearest road and miles away from power lines, camp sites, and picnic grounds.

The only other reasonable source of the Chimney Tops 2 Fire would seem to be arson or a discarded cigarette from a day hiker on the Chimney Tops trail.

http://wildfiretoday.com/2016/11/28/wildfires-in-great-smoky-mountains-national-park-cause-evacuation/
Here's a copy of the image from the WildFireToday web page. The approximate location of hiking trails are shown in yellow, roadways (including the Chimney's Picnic area) are shown in orange.

chknfngrs
11-30-2016, 14:29
Whoa so tragic! First time in Gatlinburg was 1997. Me and my pops did a short overnighter, met some thrus up in one of the shelters near Newfound Gap. Shuttled down to town. Definitely not my cup of tea there but the town but the origin of many many good memories for so many I am sure. Praying everyone remains safe! That video is something else, definitely NSFW but incredible.

tiptoe
11-30-2016, 14:47
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/30/opinion/appalachia-burning.html

I was in Gatlinburg a couple of years ago in an early-summer heat wave. After I got over my initial shock at the schlock, I have to admit that I quite enjoyed my zero there. It's sad to hear of so much devastation.

importman77
11-30-2016, 15:05
Gatlinburg and pigeon forge only give americans what they like.

It might be a sad commentary on americans in general to some, but not their fault.

Current situation is horrific and the hard working residents deserve respect and compassion regardless.

I grew up in similar type thing. At the beach in FL. When americans vacation at beach, they want all the stupid $hit as well, because...just being at beach isnt enough. Goofy golf things, ripleys, amusement parks, wax museums, trinket shops, go carts, etc, etc, etc

Same people, EXACT same people in SE go to gatlinburg to vacation as well. These are things they can drive to in a day.

If you gonna hate on gatlinburg....hate on whole state of florida too.

Similar experiences here. I live about an hour from Myrtle Beach and 5 1/2 from Gatlinburg. I'm all too familiar with the neon lights and tourist traps. Not really my cup of tea but it can be fun at times. I feel for the people of Gatlinburg in this tragedy. Personally I will miss the Alamo steakhouse more than anything else when I go back. Also there's a lady who owns several cabins and a store right at the end of the Roaring Fork Nature Trail who I'd really like to hear some news from. My wife and I got married there and stayed in her cabins and she became a friend to us. If anyone knows anything about her or her properties I'd sure like to hear about it. The name of her place is Ely's Mill.

Lyle
11-30-2016, 15:27
Another person now confirmed dead.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2016/11/30/tennessee-wildfires-deaths/94663292/

Engine
11-30-2016, 15:33
Another person now confirmed dead.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2016/11/30/tennessee-wildfires-deaths/94663292/

I saw that. I'm sure there are still areas which need to be more thoroughly searched...hopefully, no one else is found.

illabelle
11-30-2016, 15:36
I'm worried about the family of Michael Reed, in the news looking for wife and daughters after being unable to get through traffic/debris to their home. Last contact was Monday. If they were okay, you'd think they would have found a way to connect by now. I fear that several more casualties will be added to that mercifully short list.

Dogwood
11-30-2016, 15:53
Raining there today. Will help the fire fighting efforts. Rain also expected later this week.

saltysack
11-30-2016, 17:46
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161130/f577769057c102a3e2cbe1c947cea7ce.png

limulus
12-01-2016, 13:50
Am I the only one who thinks Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg are a pox on the planet? Wow, not cool at all. I see you are from Alexandria, VA. As many will know that is a suburb of another city that many think is a pox ;) I guess that explains your attitude and superiority complex.

limulus
12-01-2016, 13:54
I'm worried about the family of Michael Reed, in the news looking for wife and daughters after being unable to get through traffic/debris to their home. Last contact was Monday. If they were okay, you'd think they would have found a way to connect by now. I fear that several more casualties will be added to that mercifully short list. Yes, I saw that too and I am afraid they could join the list.

illabelle
12-01-2016, 14:27
I think I heard that the last three victims were found together. Strong possibility it's his family.

Yes, I saw that too and I am afraid they could join the list.

rocketsocks
12-01-2016, 16:03
I think I heard that the last three victims were found together. Strong possibility it's his family.
So sad........

saltysack
12-01-2016, 17:22
My thoughts and prayers are with those affected by this tragedy.....I hope they catch the no good SOB who started this! I'd assume you can throw your alcohol stove in the recycle ♻️.....

illabelle
12-01-2016, 21:50
Confirmed death toll is now 10. This includes couple from Memphis. Even though they perished, their three sons were found unconscious a couple of days ago and have been undergoing treatment at Vanderbilt.

TNhiker
12-01-2016, 22:14
last update from TEMA said 11 dead in the gatlinburg fires and 4 people from the tornadoes down the road........

saltysack
12-07-2016, 17:10
2 juveniles charged in Tennessee wildfires that killed 14
http://www.actionnewsjax.com/news/trending-now/2-juveniles-charged-in-tennessee-wildfires-that-killed-14/474025980

Engine
12-07-2016, 18:31
2 juveniles charged in Tennessee wildfires that killed 14
http://www.actionnewsjax.com/news/trending-now/2-juveniles-charged-in-tennessee-wildfires-that-killed-14/474025980

They can both remove the sunglasses, their future isn't that bright...

cneill13
12-07-2016, 19:18
On one hand, I want them to be tried as adults and to see real jail time if guilty.

But on the other hand, oh never mind.

Make them an example!

Carl

illabelle
12-07-2016, 19:52
I can't imagine any teens, no matter their IQ, their ethnicity, their religion, their parents, etc that wouldn't know absolutely that what they did was deeply wrong. But they chose to do it. There's no punishment that can give life back to the victims. I hope they can charge them with homicide.

I watched a 12-minute news conference. The prosecutor was very tight-lipped, but came across as determined to seek the strongest charges he could. I don't think I could serve on their jury.

Venchka
12-07-2016, 20:54
Something I've been wondering since the evening when the frontal activity blew the fire down mountain into Gatlinburg.
Where were the water/flame retardants delivery aircraft in the days before this fire spread?
In no way am I minimizing the actions that started the fire. However, it seems to me that the folks in charge were slow to react to the increased fire threat.
Just my thoughts.
Wayne

TNhiker
12-07-2016, 21:20
Where were the water/flame retardants delivery aircraft in the days before this fire spread?

the park service did say, in an email and i think in a press conference, that they did use helicopters dropping water on that fire early that day or maybe the day before....

(disclosure-----im not a work this week nor last---and i work in TV news in knoxville-----and have been keeping up with some emails on this event but i dont wanna have to search through 800 or so emails that i have gotten about the fire in order to find and clip over the above).......

also, keep in mind----this was a small fire that got outta hand very, very quickly......

my guess (and just a guess) is that they thought they had it contained and didnt necessarily need to bring in more choppers and planes to put it out...

but this thing escalated at a rate that nobody knew........

Venchka
12-07-2016, 21:27
Thanks. That's fine. I'm too far away to get all the news.
Wayne

TNhiker
12-07-2016, 21:28
I'm too far away to get all the news.

well............there is this thing called the "internet" where you can find news sites...........like my stations www.wbir.com

:P

Sly
01-23-2017, 19:59

And Alexandria is nirvana?

I like Gatlinburg, it's cool and easy to get around. Pigeon Forge, not so much.

Traffic Jam
06-30-2017, 17:02
State drops charges against the teens responsible for the Gatlinburg fire.

http://www.wbir.com/news/crime/resolution-in-smokies-arson-that-led-to-sevier-fire-disaster/453308868

HooKooDooKu
06-30-2017, 20:50
State drops charges against the teens responsible for the Gatlinburg fire.

http://www.wbir.com/news/crime/resolution-in-smokies-arson-that-led-to-sevier-fire-disaster/453308868
Yea, I heard about that on the news on the way home tonight.

Back when the fires were occurring, there were reports by locals that the storm created additional fires. So I totally understand the idea that the state has decided they won't be able to prove the fire the boys started was the one that caused the deaths.

But I would be outraged if the boys totally get out of arson charges. I guess it would make sense that since the fires were set in a national park that the federal government has jurisdiction to bring arson charges. But the new report indicated that there currently wasn't any evidence the feds were going to pursue charges.

BuckeyeBill
06-30-2017, 21:57
Could it be possible that the juveniles and their parents get sued civilly? Seems to be happening more and more these days.

HooKooDooKu
07-01-2017, 00:58
Could it be possible that the juveniles and their parents get sued civilly? Seems to be happening more and more these days.
What would be the basis of the lawsuit?...
I could only image a lawsuit base on loss of life or property. But just like the state, what evidence do you have that the boys' actions directly lead to your loss?
From what I recall, the fire was limited to within the boundaries of GSMNP prior to the storm.
Once the storm started, residence reported seeing things like trees hitting power lines starting more fires. So if there was more than one fire, and the winds were blowing embers all over the place, how do you trace your loss back to the Chimney Tops Fire?

Seems like the only ones with cause would be the Federal Government. Now THEY have cause, given that the fires resulted in damage to the trails around Chimney Tops that will require maintenance crews to repair before the trials can be opened again.

{P.S. All the trails around the Chimney Tops area are still closed to this day... pretty much Bullhead, Sugarlands Mountain, and everything in between.}

TNhiker
07-01-2017, 03:26
The legal document is up on our website---wbir.com

in it---(and I can't copy and paste as I'm on phone)---

multipile points of orgin can't conclude which source proved to be fatal hence dropping the state charges..

as a result---it gets passed from state to Feds to determine if they want to pursue charges about arson in the national park......

sooooooo.......a lawsuit of damage to anything of any damage on state land---which got the most damage---cannot be pursued against the kids......if they get charged for arson on the federal level--they could be held responsible damage to park structures.......

key word is "if" they get charged.

The lawyer for at least one of the kids ( not sure if he is representing one or both)---is one of the top criminal lawyers in town........

(and forgive me---as I'm on vacation and not in the newsroom so I'm just going on the legal documents and work emails discussing what happened today)

TNhiker
07-01-2017, 03:30
One thing to add---and this is just me figuring this out and not hearing what is going on---

there could be lawsuits of other sorts coming down the line....

most particually---and 911 will be prime evidence---are people who called the city and county and were told not to evecuate and all that...

some of those people followed what 911 was telling them and as a result---people got trapped....and bad things happened after that....

illabelle
07-01-2017, 07:56
...But I would be outraged if the boys totally get out of arson charges. ....

Me too! It's very clear that these boys are guilty of something. So charge them and hold them accountable for something.

4eyedbuzzard
07-01-2017, 09:12
Me too! It's very clear that these boys are guilty of something. So charge them and hold them accountable for something.If "something" were a charge, I suppose we would all be guilty of Something. Somewhere, sometime, EVERYBODY is guilty of something.

FreeGoldRush
07-01-2017, 09:24
Me too! It's very clear that these boys are guilty of something. So charge them and hold them accountable for something.

Ruining just a few more lives will make lots of people feel better but it honestly won't solve the problem. You can make a pretty good case that those kids will spend the rest of their lives promising themselves to never start another fire, even to scramble some eggs.

BuckeyeBill
07-01-2017, 11:52
I was just throwing it out for opinions, not suggesting someone file suit. But the level of proof is smaller in a civil suit (proof by a preponderance of the evidence), than that in a criminal trial (proof beyond a reasonable doubt).

HooKooDooKu
07-01-2017, 12:41
If "something" were a charge, I suppose we would all be guilty of Something. Somewhere, sometime, EVERYBODY is guilty of something.
Yea, but the last time I illegally camped at a GSMNP campsite (I had a permit to camp at #15, but decided to keep hiking and I stayed at #16... in November) didn't result in the destruction and closures of miles of back-country trails.

As it is, I witness plenty of people violating park rules... rules designed to protect the park, in part because GSMNP doesn't have the resources to police all of the backcountry. In my mind, it would send the wrong message if these kids were allowed to create this much destruction to the park and not get held accountable.

BuckeyeBill
07-01-2017, 13:31
Yea, but the last time I illegally camped at a GSMNP campsite (I had a permit to camp at #15, but decided to keep hiking and I stayed at #16... in November) didn't result in the destruction and closures of miles of back-country trails.

As it is, I witness plenty of people violating park rules... rules designed to protect the park, in part because GSMNP doesn't have the resources to police all of the backcountry. In my mind, it would send the wrong message if these kids were allowed to create this much destruction to the park and not get held accountable.

^^^ this. Very well said.

gracebowen
07-01-2017, 15:41
Innocent until proven guilty. Accusation is not proof. How many lives have been ruined because of false allegations?
If they did it and nothing elsr happens to them they will always have the stigma of the accusation.

illabelle
07-02-2017, 05:51
Innocent until proven guilty. Accusation is not proof. How many lives have been ruined because of false allegations?
If they did it and nothing elsr happens to them they will always have the stigma of the accusation.
They aren't "innocent". These were local boys who knew we were in an exceptional drought. They were seen dropping lit matches in the leaf litter beside the trail. They were photographed with smoke in the background. It is uncontested that they started a fire at Chimney Tops.

What is contested is whether the fire that they did start and the damage to the park that they did cause also directly caused the deaths of 14 truly "innocent" victims and destruction of 2400 buildings in Gatlinburg.

Traveler
07-02-2017, 06:47
They aren't "innocent". These were local boys who knew we were in an exceptional drought. They were seen dropping lit matches in the leaf litter beside the trail. They were photographed with smoke in the background. It is uncontested that they started a fire at Chimney Tops.

What is contested is whether the fire that they did start and the damage to the park that they did cause also directly caused the deaths of 14 truly "innocent" victims and destruction of 2400 buildings in Gatlinburg.
I wasn't aware these boys have been tried and found guilty yet. Until then Grace has a point, the standard of "innocent until proven guilty" is in play until that happens. Many people have been pilloried in public opinion only to find there were others involved. I share support of punishing those who are responsible, but until someone is proven to be responsible its only opinion.

ralph23
07-02-2017, 09:39

Let's simmer down please. You have no idea who the news is talking about, so with all due respect, shut the hell up. This is someone's family we are wildly speculating about so until official confirmations have been made we should NOT be guessing who may have perished. rant over...

Traffic Jam
07-02-2017, 09:57
Ruining just a few more lives will make lots of people feel better but it honestly won't solve the problem. You can make a pretty good case that those kids will spend the rest of their lives promising themselves to never start another fire, even to scramble some eggs.

Not everyone is remorseful of their actions. Some people even convince themselves that their crime wasn't their fault. The victim's families deserve some accountability.

Traffic Jam
07-02-2017, 09:59
Let's simmer down please. You have no idea who the news is talking about, so with all due respect, shut the hell up. This is someone's family we are wildly speculating about so until official confirmations have been made we should NOT be guessing who may have perished. rant over...
With all due respect, please don't speak to sweet illabelle that way.

illabelle
07-02-2017, 10:18
With all due respect, please don't speak to sweet illabelle that way.
TJ, thank you so much! :)

To ralph23, I think that post of mine was made several months ago when they were still identifying victims, and yes, those were the three (wife and two daughters) that were lost. Very sad for that family.

martinb
07-02-2017, 10:41
I still remember seeing the husband on he news wondering about his wife an daughters, heartbreaking.

ralph23
07-02-2017, 22:48
Somehow I missed her post back when this thread was started. I followed the news and remember this particular situation well. But that does not forgive making forum posts guessing that someone's family had perished. Let's have a little dignity and use some discretion when it comes to posting about people who may have (and turns out actually had) perished.