PDA

View Full Version : Point Us In The Right Direction

naturlred
11-29-2016, 10:50
This morning I woke up to see Gatlinburg is being evacuated.....which means the first part of our vacation in a few weeks needs replanning. Originally we planned to spend three nights here and hike the Smokies....clearly this is not going to happen....so sad!

So I ask of you all....please point us to something, anything that we can hike in mid January without too much snow but still has beautiful landscapes along the way. We are flying into Knoxville and would like to stay in a town within 2-3 hours of this the first three nights. Hike, enjoy the town, and see what TN has to offer as we are looking to possibly relocate. Our last few days are already planned in Knoxville before leaving....we just need help with the first three days.

Any direction, any trail, and town suggestions would be appreciated?

Thanks in advance

illabelle
11-29-2016, 11:54
It's too early to know the extent of the damage in Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge. I'd say after the heavier rains move through tonight they should be able to get most of the fires under control and begin an assessment. Once the smoke clears, I'm thinking the businesses would very much appreciate your dollars. If you can still include Gatlinburg in your plans, please do so.

If your plan was to hike, you can still obtain lodging in one of the communities near Gatlinburg: Sevierville, Newport, Dandridge, Cosby are all conveniently accessed from I-40. Easy enough to get to the trailheads from there, assuming the trails are re-opened by that point. Now if you're looking for a place to play putt-putt, or be slung around on a bungee cord, Pigeon Forge is the place to be.

hikernutcasey
11-29-2016, 12:04
It's too early to know the extent of the damage in Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge. I'd say after the heavier rains move through tonight they should be able to get most of the fires under control and begin an assessment. Once the smoke clears, I'm thinking the businesses would very much appreciate your dollars. If you can still include Gatlinburg in your plans, please do so.

If your plan was to hike, you can still obtain lodging in one of the communities near Gatlinburg: Sevierville, Newport, Dandridge, Cosby are all conveniently accessed from I-40. Easy enough to get to the trailheads from there, assuming the trails are re-opened by that point. Now if you're looking for a place to play putt-putt, or be slung around on a bungee cord, Pigeon Forge is the place to be.I wholeheartedly agree with illabelle's post. Most likely, even if Gatlinburg has suffered severe damage, you will still be able to find lodging in neighboring Pigeon Forge and from there you can plan you excursions into the park for day hikes or even overnight hikes. The park is huge and even if there are damaged areas, others will be open for you to enjoy. And if there is snow in the high elevations there are plenty of trails to explore in the lower elevations of the park.

Venchka
11-29-2016, 13:40
Erwin, TN. Appalachian Trail, Roan Highlands, shuttle services available. Johnson City, Greenville and Elizabethton, TN for relocation possibilities.
Enjoy.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

naturlred
11-30-2016, 09:47
Thanks you all for your suggestions.

It is so sad to see the pics on the news stations/online.....I can only imagine the sadness.

Greenlight
11-30-2016, 09:53
This morning I woke up to see Gatlinburg is being evacuated.....which means the first part of our vacation in a few weeks needs replanning. Originally we planned to spend three nights here and hike the Smokies....clearly this is not going to happen....so sad!

So I ask of you all....please point us to something, anything that we can hike in mid January without too much snow but still has beautiful landscapes along the way. We are flying into Knoxville and would like to stay in a town within 2-3 hours of this the first three nights. Hike, enjoy the town, and see what TN has to offer as we are looking to possibly relocate. Our last few days are already planned in Knoxville before leaving....we just need help with the first three days.

Any direction, any trail, and town suggestions would be appreciated?

Thanks in advance

Gatlinburg is going to want and need your tourism dollars. You might still go for a part of GSMNP that was relatively unaffected.

Don H
11-30-2016, 10:14
I just posted this map of Gatlinburg's fire damaged businesses on another thread.
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1j7dJNKio1QPbslWy4PDNMsQkUes&ll=35.70929770731011%2C-83.52331578911594&z=18

Rain Man
12-01-2016, 18:40
Hot Springs, NC.

Venchka
12-01-2016, 18:59
Hot Springs, NC.

Great choice. Eat at the Diner!
Wayne

Dogwood
12-01-2016, 19:08
Can't guarantee no snow or not too much snow(?, whatever that means) in January within 2-3 hrs of Johnny Knoxville but I'd consider going west to the Nashville area. And for hikes, I'd consider Big South Fork. Jan is more than 4 wks away so time changes things.