PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Equipment

dizzyT
01-16-2006, 19:34
Is there any type of fishing equipment that is best for a thru hike? Are there many places to fish along the AT? Also are there any good rafts for a thru hike or are they all to heavy? I would appreciate any advice.

snowhoe
01-16-2006, 20:13
One of my friends thru hiked the trail in 2000 (wassabi). He is a great fly fisherman, he told me that I will be going thru some unfished areas and to bring my flypole. I am going to bring my 4 piece rod with case(19oz). I think I will be doing alot of roll casting and casting on my knees. I am only going to bring a few flies, tippet and leader. I am sure you can find alot of places to fish, just take a look at your maps and you will see blue line every where. I dont know anything abot rafts.

weary
01-16-2006, 21:57
Is there any type of fishing equipment that is best for a thru hike? Are there many places to fish along the AT? Also are there any good rafts for a thru hike or are they all to heavy? I would appreciate any advice.
A bit of line to ties on a flexible twig, and a hook on which to impale a worm, a bug or a grasshopper is useful.

Few thru hikers have time or interest in serious fishing. But it's fun occasionally to cut a sapling, tie on a line and let it drift down stream. I've done so many times, both on long distance and weekend hikes -- and enjoyed a few meals.

Weary

dizzyT
01-16-2006, 22:03
I saw alot of talk about fish but no mention of euipment. I appreciate it. A friend of mine took a raft when he did the PCT but I lost touch with him.

ScottP
01-16-2006, 22:16
The complete walker recommends this tool: http://www.streamlines.com/

ScottP
01-16-2006, 22:20
If it looks like I might be able to do one fishing I'll have one mailed to me once they start biting.

weary
01-16-2006, 22:28
If it looks like I might be able to do one fishing I'll have one mailed to me once they start biting.
Fish bite on a timetable of their own, usually for just moments, depending on stream flows, insect hatches, temperatures and things only fish really know about. Occasionally they will stick around for an hour or two. I've never found them willing to wait around for a mail delivery. YMMV

ScottP
01-16-2006, 22:31
Very funny. I mean seasonally.

stupe
01-16-2006, 22:36
Shakespeare WonderPole. It's a ten foot telescoping fiberglas rod, cost about ten bucks. Weighs ounces, very light action, yet strong. Bring along a small spool of six pound test line and some hooks and you're in business.
Just tie ten feet of line to the tip of the pole, and you have a twenty foot reach. For fish closer in, you can jiggle bait right in front of their noses. I've caught some pretty big bass on mine.
It was sold as a kiddie rod when I got my first one.

MorrisseyFan
01-16-2006, 22:40
What about the legality of fishing on the trail? Would one need a license?

Skidsteer
01-16-2006, 22:59
What about the legality of fishing on the trail? Would one need a license?

Shhhhhh...

stupe
01-17-2006, 10:39
I don't know about other states, but if the NY DEC catches you in with fishing equipment near a body of water without a licence ( you don't have to be neccesarily fishing ), they can confiscate your gear, fine you, and make it such a headache that you probably won't want to do it again.

Brock
01-17-2006, 13:37
I think you are crazy to think about bringing fishing equipment while thru hiking. IMO if you don't use something at least every other day (or in case of emergency items) then toss it. The pack is heavy enough.

Me and a couple of friends did try to create our own fishing equipment though, one day while taking a long lunch.
We brought some beer with us and used the pop top as a hook. Someone had dental floss for line and our trekking pole served as our fishing pole.
We saw plenty of fish, and they would come up and eat the triskets and cheese that we dropped in the pond, but once our hook went in, those fish got out of there.
Who knows what we would have done if we actually caught a fish. But we did have a nice long beer-filled lunch trying to fish.

Fiddler
01-17-2006, 14:13
If you are serious about trying to fish along the trail be sure you have a license for each state you do it in. Some places show absolutely NO mercy for violaters.

dizzyT
01-17-2006, 18:03
I was planning on getting licenses. I had read about that. Not really worried about extra weight and time isn't an issue, so I might give it a try.

Jack Tarlin
01-17-2006, 18:56
From the folks who I've talked to who fish, most folks seem to think Maine is the best place by far.

And incidentally, in case it doesn't make it into the two main Trail guidebooks, a new store is open in Hanover, on Lebanon St., just down from Ben and Jerry's (you'll walk by it as you head North out of town). It's called Hanover Outdoors, and is primarily a store for fishermen. High-end stuff, but very nice; those of you planning to fish in Maine should check it out. They also sell New Hampshire hunting and fishing licenses.

dizzyT
01-17-2006, 19:00
I am actually planning on staying in Maine for a year or so whn I get there. It seems like a great place to do alot of things and quite a bit more scenic than Texas.

dizzyT
01-17-2006, 23:35
No trees in Texas.....just a Bush.

Not true actually........lots of tress in east Texas