PDA

View Full Version : Wheel gun or semi auto

sheepdog
11-30-2016, 22:31
What is your carry gun of choice when you're hiking? I like my Glock 43. Light, reliable, 9mm.

orthofingers
11-30-2016, 22:35
I don't carry a gun. Too heavy. If I did I'd carry something that had a mag with a lot of rounds in it. I'm nearsighted.

Maineiac64
11-30-2016, 22:42
Sig P938, small 9 only on day hikes.

Sarcasm the elf
11-30-2016, 22:42
I don't carry on trail. But if I did it would be a Glock 43 or a Khar CW380 (stainless).

coach lou
11-30-2016, 22:47
If I would have the need, I would have to go UL and leave the Garand at home, and just take the M4

Sarcasm the elf
11-30-2016, 22:51
If I would have the need, I would have to go UL and leave the Garand at home, and just take the M4

A Garand is still lighter than that last cheesecake you hauled in. Take it, if you want to save weight then only bring one bandolier.

sheepdog
11-30-2016, 22:53
Garand? Those biscuits in a can?

Sarcasm the elf
11-30-2016, 22:59

Biscuits? Nah, it was a kitchen tool used for making sour Krauts.

coach lou
11-30-2016, 23:01
A Garand is still lighter than that last cheesecake you hauled in. Take it, if you want to save weight then only bring one bandolier.

:sun............seriously, next summer we are going into The Bob Marshall Wilderness for a week (deep griz country), we are going to each bring a can, which will be the first time every in many trips of walking and fishing. The one guy who is going out to Big Sky for the first time, all he can think about is how is he going to get his cannon out there.

Starchild
11-30-2016, 23:04
Any gun that weight 0 oz or less is good to go with me. Really, trails are safer than life.

ScareBear
11-30-2016, 23:16
Why the need for a sidearm on the AT?

If you are hunting humans, I suppose a 9mm will get it done inside of 25 yards.

If you are hunting eastern black bear, you are going to need a bigger gun. Unless you hit one in the eye, that bear is going to not be deterred by a 90 grain .380. Hell, most 250 pound humans are going to need excellent shot placement to be deterred by a .380. Simply not enough energy. Remember that energy=weight x speed. For black bear or wild boar, nothing less than a 10mm/.41magnum is going to be adequate to save your bacon. Everyone that I know that carries for bear protection carries a 12 gauge shotgun with Brenneke penetrator slugs. Including the NPS. That's their issue bear gun. Not the M4 or .40SW sidearm. The .40SW is simply a 10mm light and does not have sufficient energy. If I had to only carry a sidearm in bear country, it would be no less than a .44 magnum. Probably a 2.5 inch barrel and Buffalo Bore ammunition. I'd stick with a revolver for reliability in all weather conditions. I am a Glock fan and would consider the Model 20 10mm, but not for winter use and not in grizzly country. Nothing less that a .44 magnum in grizzly country. You are talking about having to drop a charging 350 pound killing machine with one shot...

AfterParty
11-30-2016, 23:19
Biscuits? Nah, it was a kitchen tool used for making sour Krauts.

Dude that's the funniest crap I heard in some time

sheepdog
11-30-2016, 23:28

If you are hunting eastern black bear, you are going to need a bigger gun. Unless you hit one in the eye, that bear is going to not be deterred by a 90 grain .380. Hell, most 250 pound humans are going to need excellent shot placement to be deterred by a .380. Simply not enough energy. Remember that energy=weight x speed. For black bear or wild boar, nothing less than a 10mm/.41magnum is going to be adequate to save your bacon. Everyone that I know that carries for bear protection carries a 12 gauge shotgun with Brenneke penetrator slugs. Including the NPS. That's their issue bear gun. Not the M4 or .40SW sidearm. The .40SW is simply a 10mm light and does not have sufficient energy. If I had to only carry a sidearm in bear country, it would be no less than a .44 magnum. Probably a 2.5 inch barrel and Buffalo Bore ammunition. I'd stick with a revolver for reliability in all weather conditions. I am a Glock fan and would consider the Model 20 10mm, but not for winter use and not in grizzly country. Nothing less that a .44 magnum in grizzly country. You are talking about having to drop a charging 350 pound killing machine with one shot...
I didn't mention bears. Anyone who'd shoot a griz with a pistol is desperate or a fool. I've hiked a lot of Alaska.

nsherry61
11-30-2016, 23:43
I'd take a .22 rifle, preferable a collapsible or foldable one. Might actually find a use of it.

As for Griz, well, anything short of a .44 mag is pretty much pointless and asking for trouble. Bear spray weighs less, is less dangerous to the user and other people, and has been shown to be significantly more effective than a gun for bear protection. Hmmm.

FreeGoldRush
11-30-2016, 23:48
What is your carry gun of choice when you're hiking? I like my Glock 43. Light, reliable, 9mm.

Although I am a gun owner I cannot imagine hiking with one.

ScareBear
11-30-2016, 23:52
I didn't mention bears. Anyone who'd shoot a griz with a pistol is desperate or a fool. I've hiked a lot of Alaska.

I mentioned if I only had a sidearm to carry....

A .44 magnum or bigger(.454Casull, 450SW, 500SW) is going to eventually kill a grizz. Whether it stops the grizz before he kills you is the $64K question. I doubt there is enough energy from any pistol round to drop a grizz in its tracks, like a 12 gauge or 45-70 would, but it might save your life. Better than bear spray. Better than nothing...just sayin...

Sarcasm the elf
11-30-2016, 23:52

For the record one of my hiking buddies knows from experience that two guys, each with a Glock 22 can drop a large, charging wild hog. He said that next time he's bringing his SKS.

Buffalo Bore .380 +P hardened lead loads are supposedly close to 9mm territory when it comes to terminal energy.

Liberty Ammunition "Civil Defense" rounds nearly qualify as UL (60 grain .40S&W) and is what one of my hiking buddies carries.

Neither is a dangerous game round by any stretch of the imagination, but they both seem to be viable options for hikers who are inclined to carry.

D.D.Bear
11-30-2016, 23:57
XD(M) 9sc. (Hill People make some great chest rigs - no affiliation.)

If firing a .44, would prefer 6" barrel for extra energy transfer. You're gonna need it if grizzly is the target, I believe.

rocketsocks
12-01-2016, 01:13
Udap and a mini throw down to get back out
http://www.lapolicegear.com/udap-bear-attack-pack.html?utm_source=udap-bear-attack-pack&utm_medium=shopping%2Bengine&utm_campaign=googleproducts&Color=Camouflage&gclid=COjE-O-d0tACFUZXDQodQasFoQ

fastfoxengineering
12-01-2016, 06:02
As someone who makes their living in the firearms industry, I am a firearms enthusiast. I however, do not carry while hiking. I'm one of those people that do carry concealed everday in what I consider the "real world". When I hit the trail, I feel like I'm leaving that world and have never felt I'd feel safer or more prepared with a firearm. This is of course where I mainly hike. I don't feel the need for a firearm for animals where I hike, and honestly, I've never met or experienced anything near a threatening person on the trail where I hike.

I guess Im playing my chances. But being vigilant and keeping a good head on your shoulders on the trail goes a long way in keeping oneself safe. In civilization, you can't predict when someone's going to hold up the convenience store you get your coffee at every morning.

I'll change my tune when someone tries to mug me at a shelter.

If only my M1 Garand didn't weigh more than my baseweight.... I prefer 9mm or .38spcl for two legged city varmint. In the woods while hunting I prefer my .44mag redhawk and .243win rifle. I'm working with a 10mm right now as well.

In conclusion, and it saddens me to say this, I enjoy hiking because it's one activity that gets me in a mindset where I still feel prepared without my sidearm. In the rest of my ordinary life, I carry to be prepared.

The discussion of firearms on this AT Forum is typically a topic that turns into a bad mess, so it's kind of unwelcome. Like talking politics at the bar. No worries, but if it turns into a nasty debate, this thread will be closed very soon.

Now to answer your question, If I were to carry while hiking and my main concern was threatening people. I would probably pack a revolver in a lighter caliber. 38special, 9mm, or even 22 magnum. My preference would be a stainless air weight revolver for dependability, ruggedness, and weather/dirt/grime resistance. Night sights would be a must due to low light environment. I may or may not carrying a speed strip for a spare reload.

Engine
12-01-2016, 06:20
I don't carry on the trail, for many of the same reasons already mentioned. On the street, my wife and I both carry a Sig P938 when out and about. There is a Glock 22 and a Sig P226 Combat in the nightstands for visitors without a reservation. I love my Glock, but Sig makes the Cadillac of handguns...they shoot bullseyes almost without trying.

Hikes in Rain
12-01-2016, 07:16
For general use, I prefer revolvers. You can feed any load you like, from snake shot to low power rounds that will barely cut paper to something that would crack an engine block (if you have the right caliber.) Autos are amazing things, and I like them a lot, but they tend to function best with a much narrower range of ammo than revolver; they're a more specialized tool. All depends on what you're using it for.

MtDoraDave
12-01-2016, 07:53
If one were to carry, I'd say carry what one is proficient and comfortable with.
I've seen several hikers become uncomfortable around people who were open carrying. I don't want to judge those people or the ones who carry, so concealed is always the best bet - no need to advertise, just like in the real world.

A good friend of mine had a black bear problem with his trash cans. He caught it once, in the act, and threw a pack of firecrackers out the door. He didn't see that bear for months afterwards, so it is my opinion that the pop pop pop sound of a lighter round that wouldn't drop a bear may do wonders in running one off that was being a danger or a nuisance around a campsite.

An outdoorsy group of people on a gun forum I visit have had the discussion of which is more reliable. While revolvers are less selective about what kind of ammo is used, good quality modern semi automatic pistols can be far more reliable when dirty or gritty; a real possibility when out in the woods for days at a time.

For a Thru-hike: I believe there are some states the Trail passes through where carrying isn't legal unless one is a Law Enforcement Officer with the certifications and licenses that go with it.

sheepdog
12-01-2016, 07:59
As someone who makes their living in the firearms industry, I am a firearms enthusiast. I however, do not carry while hiking. I'm one of those people that do carry concealed everday in what I consider the "real world". When I hit the trail, I feel like I'm leaving that world and have never felt I'd feel safer or more prepared with a firearm. This is of course where I mainly hike. I don't feel the need for a firearm for animals where I hike, and honestly, I've never met or experienced anything near a threatening person on the trail where I hike.

I guess Im playing my chances. But being vigilant and keeping a good head on your shoulders on the trail goes a long way in keeping oneself safe. In civilization, you can't predict when someone's going to hold up the convenience store you get your coffee at every morning.

If only my M1 Garand didn't weigh more than my baseweight.... I prefer 9mm or .38spcl for two legged city varmint. In the woods while hunting I prefer my .44mag redhawk and .243win rifle. I'm working with a 10mm right now as well.

In conclusion, and it saddens me to say this, I enjoy hiking because it's one activity that gets me in a mindset where I still feel prepared without my sidearm. In the rest of my ordinary life, I carry to be prepared.

The discussion of firearms on this AT Forum is typically a topic that turns into a bad mess, so it's kind of unwelcome. Like talking politics at the bar. No worries, but if it turns into a nasty debate, this thread will be closed very soon.

Now to answer your question, If I were to carry while hiking and my main concern was threatening people. I would probably pack a revolver in a lighter caliber. 38special, 9mm, or even 22 magnum. My preference would be a stainless air weight revolver for dependability, ruggedness, and weather/dirt/grime resistance. Night sights would be a must due to low light environment. I may or may not carrying a speed strip for a spare reload.
A well thought out answer. I too carry all the time.

Traveler
12-01-2016, 08:40
"Never run a bluff with a six-gun" Bat Masterson, gun fighter, gambler, and old tv show.

egilbe
12-01-2016, 08:57
I don't carry a gun. Too heavy. If I did I'd carry something that had a mag with a lot of rounds in it. I'm nearsighted.

This, but I wear glasses.

slammer
12-01-2016, 09:22
I don't carry on the AT because it's like walking in a shopping mall compared to hiking trails in Alabama. In Alabama you are mostly alone and I carry a small 22 revolver thats about the size of your palm. It's mainly for any critters that mess with me. I dont' know how good it would be against a human assailant but the chances of having an issue like that seem to remote to justify bringing a heavier weapon.

JC13
12-01-2016, 09:36
I don't carry on trail myself but I did think about the option for those who are inclined to carry something as a black bear deterrent. As mentioned with the fire cracker scenario, what about carrying a starting pistol? Makes the noise you want and no projectile to worry about. I don't recall them being very heavy either.

runt13
12-01-2016, 10:02
Standard carry gun, Springfield armory XDS 3.3 loaded with 230 grain JHP in 45acp, goes everywhere I go, within the confines of the law. This would be my current choice if I chose to carry while hiking.

RUNT ''13''

GoldenBear
12-01-2016, 10:47
I don't carry a gun when I walk in downtown Philadelphia after midnight, so why should I carry one while I'm on The Trail and worried about every pound of weight?

And it would silly for me to own a gun to protect my property -- if I had one in my house, it would be BY FAR the most valuable thing a crook would want to steal from my house. Any burglar using a crowbar to get into my home would barely steal enough to pay for the crowbar.

saltysack
12-01-2016, 10:49

+1.....in grizzly country....all you need is a hiking partner slower than you.....[emoji51]

I ran into a day hiker in Co open carrying...made me feel uncomfortable and I'm a gun owner...no need on the trail....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DuneElliot
12-01-2016, 11:40
Another one here who carries every day (either in vehicle or on/near my person) but I don't bother when I'm backpacking. For short hikes in cat country where activity is high I will occasionally carry my .40 but generally dogs are considered a pretty good deterrent since they are hunted with dogs around here. When I base camped and took horses, and had rode in the wilderness and back country I would carry a sidearm always...partly because I wasn't the one hauling the weight, and partly because if something happens to a horse in the middle of nowhere I needed an appropriate way to humanely deal with a serious equine injury.

I do carry bear spray in some areas and figure that if it's good enough to work on a bear it would be just as effective on any human that wants to cause trouble.

rocketsocks
12-01-2016, 11:59

Now please don't take this the wrong way...but you're a lousy salesman. :D

hikernutcasey
12-01-2016, 13:59
I conceal carry on a daily basis but do not on the trail. This confounds those that know me. They don't backpack though and have no idea how safe it really is and how much I really don't want to carry that extra 14 oz my Sig P238 weighs.

MuddyWaters
12-01-2016, 17:02
22 mag dont even knock down a rabbit
It shoots thru them and they run off

17 hmr flips them into air

The fragmenting bullets might work better though in 22 now

I carry a 25 cal sat night special with 9 shot clip bowhunting. Dont carry on trail

Dont think youll get even close to muzzle energy and velocity of a rifle round based on 20" barrel, in a handgun. It will be much much less.

RockDoc
12-01-2016, 19:09
I don't carry on the AT, too much trouble with air travel etc; but wilderness areas out West are entirely a different thing (worthy of a .357 revolver, S&W 686).

cneill13
12-01-2016, 23:46
I carried a gun with me the first time I went hiking for a week on the AT.

Couldn't figure out what I was supposed to be scared of so I have never brought it again.

Carl

Alligator
12-02-2016, 00:52
Too many off topic posts. Thread closed.