PDA

View Full Version : Down Allergy

goldielocks
12-01-2016, 00:43
I am interested in purchasing a down sleeping bag or quilt. My largest concern is the potential for an allergy to down. My father has an allergy to down (feathers in general). I have experienced discomfort in the past from using a down pillow (nothing high quality - just cheap feather pillow). It's my understanding that individuals who do experience allergic reactions are significantly less likely to with higher quality down. Has anyone else experienced difficulties using down? What type of down do you recommend to anyone that has allergies or has a high potential to experience allergies to down?

Also, what other down sleeping bag and quilt options do you all prefer?

Engine
12-01-2016, 06:43
Here's a link to some good information related to down allergies as well as down in general. http://www.allergybuyersclub.com/comforter.html

From what I was able to gather while reading the information on the linked site, it's not the down causing allergies, it's essentially dust and dander associated with down that hasn't been thoroughly cleaned before use.

As for down products associated with hiking, I stay away from duck down simply because I don't care for the odor. It's not strong, just annoying to me. Until recently, 800 fill was the cream of the crop when it came to down. Many companies are now offering 950 and even 1000 fill as higher end options in some products. Strangely, some companies have reversed the trend, Mountain Hardware recently switched from using 800 fill to 650 fill in the Ghost Whisperer jackets.

There are also some new synthetics which are getting close to down in regard to weight and insulation properties. Typically they are still nowhere near as compressible though, so they take up more space in your pack.

Venchka
12-01-2016, 21:22
It's winter. Shop at a company with a liberal return policy. REI and LL BEAN are my choices. Buy an 800-850 fill power goose down bag made by a reputable company. Sleep in it. Outdoors or indoors with windows open. Find out for yourself in the real world.
If you're allergic to down return the bag.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk